• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8901 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

I have a read a few opinion pieces in the last few months that say Nancy Pelosi is running rings around Trump. They never give any examples and I'm not interested enough to read further as my reading time is devoted to the sordid politics of my own pathetic country. I know she's refusing to impeach which I think is probably sensible unless the Dems are 100% confident of being successful as it will feed into his underdog narrative and energise his base even more. Is she running rings around him?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8902 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

I'd say one of er in the palaces corgis could run rings around the incompetent fuckwit

#8903 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

Mezla PigDog, on 31 May 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

I have a read a few opinion pieces in the last few months that say Nancy Pelosi is running rings around Trump. They never give any examples and I'm not interested enough to read further as my reading time is devoted to the sordid politics of my own pathetic country. I know she's refusing to impeach which I think is probably sensible unless the Dems are 100% confident of being successful as it will feed into his underdog narrative and energise his base even more. Is she running rings around him?

From what I can tell (I watch too much CNN and MSNBC) nobody is doing much other than flapping their lips. The media treats every little snide comment or tweet as a brutal takedown or a damning piece of evidence that Trump is a traitor.

#8904 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

Mezla PigDog, on 31 May 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

She makes fun of him brilliantly but in the gran scheme hasnt acheived anything.

After trump cancelled a meeting with the Democrats on making plans to fix infrastructure after five minutes, saying he couldnt work with them so long as they investigate him, Nanci Pelosi accused him of throwing a temper tantrum and probably lacking confidence to fix the issue which is why he tried to shy away from it. I think she also said his family should speak to him nad that his mental state was deteriorating. In response trump threw a conference in the rose garden describing himself as a 'stable genius' nad called o aids to come to the microphone and say he was calm and doesnt throw temper tantrums. It made him look like a fool with thin skin but he is still president, infrastructure is still not being fixed etc etc.

#8905 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

This Justin Amash thing is very interesting at the moment. Here's snippets from a town hall meeting he had with consituents recently.

https://www.theatlan...inority/590443/

"Amash’s criticism of Trump may never spur an impeachment inquiry. But the nature of it forces conservative Trump voters to make a clarifying choice: To stay loyal to a president of bad character, they must attack a man of good character who votes in accordance with the principles they share."

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 02 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8906 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

From the same town hall:

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8907 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

A little lighter fare for your Monday,

Here is Obama getting a standing ovation at the Raptors game in my city last night. So awesome!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8908 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

Can you guys take your cheeto back please?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#8909 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Can't you guys show him the Tower of London and then lose the keys?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#8910 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Maark Abbott, on 04 June 2019 - 06:55 AM, said:

Can't you give him polonium poisoning then blame putin?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8911 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Obdigore, on 04 June 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yes, officer, this post right here...

#8912 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

Aptorian, on 04 June 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Obdigore, on 04 June 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yes, officer, this post right here...

Huh? Not seeing anything... *Whistles*
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8913 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

Mum's from Scotland. Maybe he can have an extended stay over there, bring in a life coach / therapist / spiritual guru and dive deep into his roots, and sort out why he's a miserable piece of shit of a human. Maybe we should not let him back until he at least makes the attempt.

#8914 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Don't you dare use us as a penal colony for that penal colon.

#8915 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:55 PM

#8916 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

Dolan: Lemme tell ya folks, we understand Ireland, you have a border, a wall, we want a border and a wall

Ireland: Excuse me what the fuck

#8917 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

No no, the man makes perfect sense. I mean, you are talking to the president of a country where there has been decades of 'civil war' and where they have finally managed to find an agreeable middle ground where any kinds of hostile divisive icons such as border checks and barbed wired fences are removed, and you tell them:

"I think it will all work out very well, and also for you with your wall, your border. I mean, we have a border situation in the United States, and you have one over here. But I hear it's going to work out very well here."

And then when that president tells you that, actually, they would really like to avoid things like walls and borders, which is sort of the point and essence of the whole peace agreement, you reply:

"The way it works now is good, you want to try and to keep it that way. I know that's a big point of contention with respect to Brexit. I'm sure it's going to work out very well. I know they're focused very heavily on it."

And still there are people who supposedly are in their right mind that think this this man is fit to be president of a major western democracy. It beggars belief. I thought George Bush Junior was an oaf, but it turns out he was actually a skilled and intelligent diplomat compared to the next Republican frontman. I can only assume that the next Republican leader and US president will be a trained monkey.

Or scrap that, a trained monkey would probably outperform Trump at this stage. They at least wouldn't fling even remotely as much poo about.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 06 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8918 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:32 PM

I'm starting to be convinced...

#8919 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

How the hell is abortion still a stump issue in america! America along with maybe Ireland(?) is the only western democracy to not fully support abortion?

I believe the majority of americans by far support abortion? Is the evangelical Christianity voting bloc so strong?

Which segways to the question, why is America's evangelical Christianity so unique?

#8920 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:28 PM

It's part and parcel to the Southern Strategy. In this case, a politically marginal "Catholic issue" became a Bible Belt Protestant issue through a concerted effort to make it so. It's not generally framed that way -- I mean heck, haven't Evangelicals always opposed abortion? Well, no, for most of the country's history they didn't. Like immigration, like re-defining the 2nd Amendment, like the vast majority of GOP orthodoxy -- there was a deliberate political drive to stoke patriarchal white Christian grievance in order to solidify a reliable GOP voting block. It's all one big reactionary response to the progress made by the Civil Rights/Women's Rights/LGBTQ Rights movements.

And of course you're right, most people now (including many Republican voters) support abortion rights. But also of course, the numbers don't matter in America because the GOP cheats. And enough Republican voters will put up with anything -- will hurt anyone -- as long as it means keeping power.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users