• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7301 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

Hey worry, this is what I keep seeing when you post tweets:

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7302 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 September 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hey worry, this is what I keep seeing when you post tweets:

Are you running an adblocker or something? I recall you were trying that out due to issues with other sites you were visiting. I see them fine, but I've got my adblock disabled on here.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#7303 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

Yeah I am but I'm sure it was working fine a while back. maybe something changed in the definitions etc?

How to I put this on the exclusion list?

*looks* should I switch off 'Protection on this website'?

Hmm ... I dunno, I doesn't seem to have gone so well for BK ...

:D

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7304 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 September 2018 - 08:54 AM

Do you view from work?

I can see them at home but not from work. I think it has to do with whether Twitter is blocked and how the link pulls the information.

#7305 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:08 AM

Home PC.

Apologies for the derail.

#7306 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 September 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Yeah I am but I'm sure it was working fine a while back. maybe something changed in the definitions etc?

How to I put this on the exclusion list?

*looks* should I switch off 'Protection on this website'?

Hmm ... I dunno, I doesn't seem to have gone so well for BK ...

:D

Lol, that's because BK didn't know his website very well. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#7307 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Wow. Meghan McCain has been very emotional through these last few days leading up to this morning's funeral. I didn't think she would be able to keep it together (she had moments) during her part to talk about her father. But (awkward!), boy did she make some subtle (or not so subtle) snarks at Trumpito in her speech. You could tell she was pissed. Ivanka and Jared were there, I wish the cameras would have panned to them. That would have been one of then 'priceless' moments. One thing is evident though, the McCains love themselves some war.

#7308 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

This might sound ghoulish, because I didn't and don't like John McCain and the hagiography stuff about his political legacy is pretty gross to me, but I am still kinda fine with Dems -- centrists and progressives alike -- contrasting DJT w/ McCain all the way up through the midterms. DJT's total disdain for him was clear and also clearly for all the worst reasons. So ads with the "I like people who weren't captured" quote juxtaposed with every GOP candidate gladhanding and cozying up to DJT is 100% fair game imo.

@Tsundoku: that does suck...I usually only see that error when a Tweet post is quoted, not in the original post. I think the blue "Unknown Date" part of it is actually a link to the correct Tweet though, even w/ the error, so maybe that's the best recourse?

This post has been edited by worry: 01 September 2018 - 07:44 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7309 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

The whole thing strikes me a bit of the almost lionization that occurred after thatchers death. Let's make no bones about it, she was a fucking Tory monster, yet upon her death people were waxing lyrical about her deeds.

To me (and I apologize if this offends) McCain was just another wealthy white guy in power. Point me out some tangible good he did, then we'll talk about being fit to lie in state

#7310 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

McCain was a pretty terrible politician who cost the country billions with being part of the Keating Five, definitely voted with a tone of racism now and then, was a hawk for every war, chased media attention like few others, empowered the Tea Party, and rarely did good things for the country. As a person, he was extremely shitty to his first wife, purposely ran wild while in the military to party it up, destroy property, and kill Vietnamese people.

He's not worth any hagiography, but people are going to do it anyways because they don't actually know what a good politician looks like.

McCain was mostly a piece of shit that kept failing upward due to his charisma, family connections, and later extreme personal wealth.

McCain's biggest legacy is how he'd say in public "oh this thing is terrible, I won't support it" and then quietly cut a deal to support it or just plain support it. It was horseshit and people bought it over and over.

That doesn't mean Trump isn't evil or that he didn't mistreat McCain. It just means that one shouldn't say many nice things about McCain or his idiot daughter.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 02 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7311 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

McCain was a pretty terrible politician who cost the country billions with being part of the Keating Five, definitely voted with a tone of racism now and then, was a hawk for every war, chased media attention like few others, empowered the Tea Party, and rarely did good things for the country. As a person, he was extremely shitty to his first wife, purposely ran wild while in the military to party it up, destroy property, and kill Vietnamese people.

He's not worth any hagiography, but people are going to do it anyways because they don't actually know what a good politician looks like.

McCain was mostly a piece of shit that kept failing upward due to his charisma, family connections, and later extreme personal wealth.

McCain's biggest legacy is how he'd say in public "oh this thing is terrible, I won't support it" and then quietly cut a deal to support it or just plain support it. It was horseshit and people bought it over and over.

That doesn't mean Trump isn't evil or that he didn't mistreat McCain. It just means that one shouldn't say many nice things about McCain or his idiot daughter.

#7312 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

Yes, that article expresses accurately what I feel. I deal occasionally with veterans in my job and what they deal with today for a war started for essentially nothing beyond oil and revenge for a father's failures is astounding. I cannot accurately estimate the death, misery, and loss of the millions of Iraqis and Afghans.

There is no rehabilitation of George W Bush for me. There is none for McCain or Scalia. There will be none for McConnell or Ryan. And Henry Kissinger's continued existence is a foul spot on the world.

I can respect their existence without respecting them as politicians or even as people trying to clear the low bar of "being decent people".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7313 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:07 PM

Humanity in general could be classed as a stain on the world

#7314 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:03 AM

View Postamphibian, on 02 September 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

I deal occasionally with veterans in my job and what they deal with today for a war started for essentially nothing beyond oil and revenge for a father's failures is astounding.

Sorry, is there some altruistic reason to start a war? Funny, in all my study of history ALL wars are started for nothing...or religion...which is also nothing.

So I’m not sure your point with regards to saying that.

———————-

Re: McCain, everyone’s politics aside, it was really lovely what Meaghan said about her dad at the funeral. It’s damned tough to lose a parent.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 September 2018 - 02:07 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7315 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:28 AM

I think the contrast would be between starting a war at all (being the aggressor) vs. entering a war you didn't 'start' (to defend yourself or others). Now 'start' can itself be muddy (ie I'm sure there are those that argue the South didn't 'start' the American Civil War). And obviously even that latter proposition can be messy, such that ostensibly altruistic aims can have ulterior motives (First Gulf War comes to mind). It's never simple and I agree with you that 'starting a war' is a monstrous act, but if anyone has to judge the righteousness of participation in warfare somewhere, choice vs. no choice, aggression vs. defense, and altruism vs. exploitation/extermination are solid areas to consider.

In that light, I take from amph's position that not only is war hell, but the progenitors of war are a special kind of evil when they exploit the military for unrighteous reasons.

#7316 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:19 AM

The vietnaam war and the Korean war are both disasters that screwed up the world but 'maybe' they at least were started for a legitimate cause. Given what we know of Stalinist Russia maybe fighting communism was not a bad idea in theory.

Going to war with Iraq over WMD that never existed? That's a huge problem and yes Bush should be judged. In fact I don't think we have even really examined to what extent it was an 'honest' mistake versus lets go to war find me a reason.

This is depressing. Is there one example of a military intervention that had a good outcome?

This post has been edited by Cause: 03 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

#7317 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

Well opposing Hitler was worth it. Even if Stalinist Russia took over half of Europe, it's better than the alternative.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#7318 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

Amph said “starting” a war, that’s what I took issue with....fighting one against an oppressor is of course altruistic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7319 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:56 AM

Nike's 30th anniversary ads.

Attached File  180903170205-colin-kaepernick-nike-ad-0903-780x439.jpg (57.24K)
Number of downloads: 0
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7320 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

162 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 162 guests, 0 anonymous users