• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7341 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

According to wikipedia, a 4chan prank last year successfully convinced some news outlets to report that the 'ok'/circle-game hand gesture was a white supremacist hand symbol last year, and since then there's been a couple actual cases of white supremacists who believed those news reports using the gesture in that manner. Though I'd be pretty skeptical that the woman in this video (whoever she is) in particular has any such intent.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7342 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

The woman is Zina Bash, she's a rich AF government employee who helped the immigration policy that Trump pushed through (is also considered the "most beautiful woman in DC" apparently)....her husband (US Attorney from Texas who is all about ICE) says she wasn't doing any symbol, just resting her hand in a strange way. Suuuuuuuuuure buddy. His defense? She's of Jewish (grandparents were holocaust survivors) and Mexican heritage, so apparently she'd never do that. That means nothing. Stephen Miller is jewish and the son of a holocaust survivor and he's a racist POS whose own family hate him. And she works for Miller. TRY AGAIN.

Sidebar: "resting" your hand that way is...not comfortable...so I'm not sure that defense flies either.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7343 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Sidebar: "resting" your hand that way is...not comfortable...so I'm not sure that defense flies either.

Feels pretty comfortable to me. Having the index on top of the arm helps keep the right arm from sliding down.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7344 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

View PostD, on 05 September 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

Feels pretty comfortable to me. Having the index on top of the arm helps keep the right arm from sliding down.

Not buying it. It's not a "I'll have my hand like this for a long time" placement. No one would awkwardly do this.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 September 2018 - 05:06 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7345 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Not buying it. It's not a "I'll have my hand like this for a long time" placement. No one would awkwardly do this.

In the end... why do you even care? If she only unintentionally perpetuated a 4chan hoax instead of intentionally perpetuating it you can't criticize all the bad stuff she's done?

#7346 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

View PostD, on 05 September 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

In the end... why do you even care? If she only unintentionally perpetuated a 4chan hoax instead of intentionally perpetuating it you can't criticize all the bad stuff she's done?

I care because she knew EXACTLY where she was sitting and how the camera landed on her. To me it's as insidious as Miller going to a Mexican restaurant while he persecutes those people in his role in government. And not calling it out (even if it's not intentional) is emboldening the racist clowns.

#7347 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:20 PM

On a personal level, I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate only because these alt-right doofuses think they're cheeky and clever (e.g. the Proud Boys, etc.).
But I still mostly come down on D'rek's side here in the sense that it doesn't ultimately matter, and arguing over the symbol can be a distraction from confronting the policy. The policy is white nationalist, whether she's alt-right or regular right. They all stand for the same thing, the distinction is only a matter of saying the quiet parts quiet or saying the quiet parts loud. And by 'they', you better believe I mean Republicans. John Kelly and Kirstjen Nielsen, Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, Jeff Sessions, Tom Cotton, Steve King -- none of them are alt-right. And there are plenty of very serious, very dedicated white supremacists/nationalists/neo-Nazis in the administration and in our law enforcement agencies carrying out these racist and xenophobic policies, who'd just as soon smack a 4chan edgelord dipping their toes into the movement for laughs or social cred.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7348 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...004983106002944

Caning seems to allude to the two women in Malaysia who were recently publicly caned for lesbianism.

#7349 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:23 PM

Wow, do you guys remember actress Piper Perabo? I vaguely remember her from a horrible movie called Ugly Coyotes or The Coyote Bar or something. Anyway, she's one of the protesters that have been thrown out of the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing.

#7350 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:36 AM

I'm not in love with the idea of prosecutors as lawmakers, generally speaking, but sometimes they come in real handy:

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7351 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:36 AM

My first thoughts on this were that it was just another fake story but it seems like there might be some substance to this secret White House staffer giving interviews to NYT.

Trump senior official: 'I am part of the resistance' - http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-45427838
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7352 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:05 PM

View Postworry, on 06 September 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

I'm not in love with the idea of prosecutors as lawmakers, generally speaking, but sometimes they come in real handy:

Um, can Kamala Harris be my spirit animal? She's ferocious...and you can tell she knows something already about this, hence "be very careful with your answer"

#7353 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 September 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

My first thoughts on this were that it was just another fake story but it seems like there might be some substance to this secret White House staffer giving interviews to NYT.

Trump senior official: 'I am part of the resistance' - http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-45427838

These stories are why I enjoy this whole mess so much. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, people's lives are being destroyed, it could all end up in a nuclear vinter but maaaaaan... the history books they're going to write about this. The interviews we're going to get after the fact. The documentaries. The JJ Abrams biopic with a CGI Trump in VR with smells and sounds?!

I want a Frost Nixon interview between a 80 year old Jabba the Trump and Jon Stewart.

These are the best of times and the worst of times.

#7354 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:22 PM

Attached File  40932295_2164107777135026_8106932508446162944_n.jpg (42.49K)
Number of downloads: 0

#7355 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

"Everybody's got an opinion on politics until they get punched in the mouth"

#7356 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

Holy shit.

Booker says he is going to release documents labelled Committee confidential, then does so?...that's huge.

Twitter thread.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

#7357 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:53 PM

He did it. Say what you will about Booker. But he's a fucking rockstar right now.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7358 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 September 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Holy shit.

Booker says he is going to release documents labelled Committee confidential, then does so?...that's huge.

Twitter thread.

Could you explain what this means to us uninformed?

Are these documents that the republicans have blocked?

#7359 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:23 PM

Is he releasing some of the documents the White House is trying to quash? That's awesome.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7360 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:41 PM

'Under Senate rules, Booker is not permitted to release the documents, which are marked "committee confidential," to the full chamber or the public. They received that designation from William Burck, a Republican attorney who previously worked for Kavanaugh and now represents current White House Counsel Don McGahn. Because Republicans rushed these hearings before the National Archives could complete its review, Burck has been tasked with choosing which documents from Kavanaugh's White House tenure may be disclosed. But Booker flouted Burck's restrictions on Thursday, with the support of his Democratic colleagues, daring Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, a Republican, to "expel him."'

https://slate.com/ne...ettled-law.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

82 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 82 guests, 0 anonymous users