• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9321 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

Worry - that's a... Unique take on things...

Nico - are you relieved your boy trump may get away with his side in Epstein's crimes now that he's dead?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9322 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

Oh and because I always seem to find a hideously inappropriate joke in these situations:

If you're surprised that Jeffrey Epstein committed suicide this morning... Imagine how surprised he must have been!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9323 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

What about your boy Prince Andrew??
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9324 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

Yeah I just saw that. Probably all part of the same group tbh.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9325 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

View Postworry, on 10 August 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

What about your boy Prince Andrew??

He's always been an entitled crook. No surprises here.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#9326 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

As expected:

'Trump Official Promotes Clinton Conspiracy Theory About Epstein’s Death'
https://www.rollings...tOAft8yEs6Fp0W0

#9327 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:31 PM

This (hopefully) isn't what the federal official (hired after being part of Trump's campaign [edit: 'Patton earned nearly $162,000 in 2017 as an administrator overseeing one of the largest regional offices at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Before joining the Trump administration, she worked as a senior adviser and liaison on Donald Trump’s presidential campaign; before that she worked for eight years as a vice president at Eric Trump’s foundation and as a “senior aide” to the Trump family']) reposted... nonetheless, behold the wisdom of the internets:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 August 2019 - 11:35 PM

#9328 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

I had no idea prince Charles had two brothers and a sister.

#9329 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 10 August 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

As expected:

'Trump Official Promotes Clinton Conspiracy Theory About Epstein’s Death'
https://www.rollings...tOAft8yEs6Fp0W0

Why hasn't the US Surgeon-General not removed that fuckwit from office already? Does anyone have the power to do that - on the basis of being mentally unfit?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9330 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

The 25th Amendment allows for the VP/cabinet heads or the VP/congress (majority rules in both cases) to declare the President unfit to serve, making the VP acting president. In other words, don't hold your breath.

#9331 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

'Trump's Aides Knew He'd Jump on Epstein Conspiracy Train
The president of the United States—who led the racist birther movement, repeatedly floated the baseless suggestion that Ted Cruz's dad helped kill JFK, and once retweeted the "White Genocide" Twitter account while running in 2016—on Saturday evening elevated a conspiracy theory claiming accused serial sex-abuser Jeffrey Epstein was murdered behind bars by the Clinton family—and his aides say they were expecting it.

The aides [...] began casually discussing and joking about what to do if Trump started going hard at the Clinton body-count conspiracy-theory-mongering. The general consensus among the president's advisers is there is nothing they can do except wait for him to move on to something else, and hope he doesn't make this a big thing.'

The retweet:

'"Died of SUICIDE on 24/7 SUICIDE WATCH ? Yeah right!...#JefferyEpstein had information on Bill Clinton & now he's dead," read the tweet by Terrence K. Williams. "I see #TrumpBodyCount trending but we know who did this! RT if you're not Surprised."

The message ended with, "#EpsteinSuicide #ClintonBodyCount #ClintonCrimeFamily."

Still, the president had his defenders and those in his orbit who went farther than he did. Lynne Patton, a Trump family friend and an official at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, posted to Instagram a caption suggesting Epstein was "Hillary'd!!"'

https://www.thedaily...onspiracy-train

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

#9332 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

This is (potentially) terrible:

'The Senate's top Democrat, Chuck Schumer, said Sunday he would introduce legislation after the summer break that would require the FBI to regulate the sale of body armor. [...] Schumer said he wants the FBI to set standards for eligibility of purchase of bullet-proof clothing and other body armor, according to the Associated Press. The bill would provide exceptions for law enforcement and other safety and security officials.'

https://www.thedaily...-armor?ref=home

So if we can't regulate guns, the solution is to ban the one thing that can protect ordinary people from being killed by guns?... (Even with a vest, the impact from being shot should still be enough to incapacitate a shooter.)

OTOH I want to buy one of these while it's still legal:

https://wonderhoodie.com/

If guns can't be successfully regulated in the US, the next best solution might be to widely distribute bulletproof clothing to diminish the lethality of firearms.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

#9333 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

'The Senate's top Democrat, Chuck Schumer, said Sunday he would introduce legislation after the summer break that would require the FBI to regulate the sale of body armor. [...] Schumer said he wants the FBI to set standards for eligibility of purchase of bullet-proof clothing and other body armor, according to the Associated Press. The bill would provide exceptions for law enforcement and other safety and security officials.'

So if we can't regulate guns, the solution is to ban the one thing that can protect ordinary people from being killed by guns?... (Even with a vest, the impact from being shot should still be enough to incapacitate a shooter.)

If guns can't be successfully regulated in the US, the next best solution might be to widely distribute bulletproof clothing to diminish the lethality of firearms.

I believe its not uncommon for countries to regulate bullet proof vests (parts of canada, australia off the top of my head. Thanks youtube). Similar to the idea that most people dont need assault weapons, most people dont need to own protection. Who really needs protection from weapons, generally people who think they will be in gunfights. That said america would be in a unique position of allowing guns to be sold but not the vest. So long as the second amendment stands as is, it makes no sense to ban the vests. a shooter might be harder to deal with if he has a vest but obviously he only needs to be dealth with because of the vest. No one needs to duck from cover from the vest

#9334 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

View PostCause, on 11 August 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 August 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

I believe its not uncommon for countries to regulate bullet proof vests (parts of canada, australia off the top of my head. Thanks youtube). Similar to the idea that most people dont need assault weapons, most people dont need to own protection. Who really needs protection from weapons, generally people who think they will be in gunfights.

People who think they may be shot at. Even aside from the threat of mass shooting, gun violence is a major problem where I live, and a significant percentage of victims are not the intended target. (People firing into a crowd and then running---shooting bystanders in addition to the target makes it more difficult for the police to figure out possible suspects.)

And there have been six mass shootings in my city so far in 2019 (as of six days ago...).

On the bright side, I doubt this bill will pass the Republican-controlled Senate... unless they feel the need to do 'something' about 'gun control' without affecting the NRA or gun owners.

It's also a terrible political move. If I were on the fence about voting Republican/Democrat (or abstaining), this would be enough to sway me.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 11 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

#9335 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:47 PM

Trying to ban bulletproof backpacks could be a great way to lose suburban white women:

https://www.cnn.com/...trnd/index.html

#9336 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

#9337 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:44 PM

1 out of every 1000 people in my city got shot last year.

An angry guy shot up a strip club down the street from me that I went to once to watch the UFC. (They advertised 'free UFC viewing' and I was naive enough not to realize that the strippers would want periodic dollar bills.)

Another guy shot into a deli from the doorway, then ran off.

And there have been numerous shootings in pretty much every neighborhood of the city---near where I live, and on the same streets as arts venues and bars. On the way to the local highly-ranked university's meditation classes....

Granted, several people also got beaten to death. One by an angry mob---as it was being videoed. But guns make it a shitload worse.

Also works against knives. (No mention of which swords, axes, or other weapons it's effective against... for the cutting/penetration that is, not the blunt force trauma. Which is what makes the idea of banning bulletproof clothing to prevent mass shooters from using it so fucking stupid: bullets will still knock the shit out of a person, they just won't penetrate the clothing. Observe the video of the Dayton shooter getting knocked down (and shot to death too, despite 'armor' and 'helmet'...). Sure, there's a slight chance of a shooter getting off an additional shot or two, or of stupid would-be mass shooters being encouraged by body armor but too lazy/ignorant to find it illegally. But with bulletproof backpacks and casual wear finally becoming a viable part of everyday life, banning them is most likely just going to kill more people.)

[Edit: And sure, cars can kill people. I came within an inch of being murdered by an angry driver who knocked me down, backed up over me, and drove off over me. Luckily I was able to post up and move my head and torso out of the way---but he got my right hand. Twice. At first I thought I'd lose the hand... but if he had a gun instead of just a car, I would almost certainly be dead now.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 August 2019 - 12:10 AM

#9338 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:59 AM

Mods, can we get a thread going where Azath just tells their life story?

#9339 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:37 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 August 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

An angry guy shot up a strip club down the street from me that I went to once to watch the UFC. (They advertised 'free UFC viewing' and I was naive enough not to realize that the strippers would want periodic dollar bills.)

Listen you went to a strip club, you paid ladies dollar bills and they took their clothes off, their was some kind of fight thingy on TV in the background when you weren't too distracted to notice. We don't judge. 1 in 1000 people in your city got shot last year. A man needs to see some tiddies under that kind of stress

__________________________________________________________________________________

Okay I wrote a past last night but it vanished after an accidental backpage button press and I was too sad to retype it. here it goes.

I agree with you. It makes no sense to ban the vests if guns are not regulated to at least the same, should be greater, degree. This is Merica though, I can buy a grenade launcher I just cant buy the ammo. You know so my minigun, flamethrower, barret 50 cal anti-material sniper rifle (I probably use it to hunt deer) and assault rifle collection will be complete.

That said I feel like backpack inserts and bullet proof hoodies are a knee jerk reaction. The hoodie is cool, but are you gonna wear it everyday, to everywhere? Cops get killed because they don't maintain the discipline of wearing their vests at all times and they get paid to wear it, punished for taking it off and know their every day risks are high. Now admittedly their vests are bulkier and more rigid but that's also becauase their vests are designed to stop rifle fire, I suspect that hoodie is only good against hand guns. Better than nothing but now we need to be wearing the hoodie the day and time and place of a shooting and the shooter needs to be using something smaller than their typical go to asualt rifle.

Similarly the backpack inserts, these things can stop pretty much everthing and your likely to have your bag with you at shool but will you have it with you or near you when the moment comes? What if its lunch period, PE, school assembly? Do you cover your front or your back? easy if you know where the shooter is but otherwise 50:50.

So maybe America will reach the point that you wont go to a concert or something without your bullet proof vest but I cant see people wearing bullet proof clothing 24/7.

#9340 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostCause, on 12 August 2019 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 11 August 2019 - 11:44 PM, said:

Listen you went to a strip club, you paid ladies dollar bills and they took their clothes off, their was some kind of fight thingy on TV in the background when you weren't too distracted to notice. We don't judge. 1 in 1000 people in your city got shot last year. A man needs to see some tiddies under that kind of stress

__________________________________________________________________________________

Okay I wrote a past last night but it vanished after an accidental backpage button press and I was too sad to retype it. here it goes.

I agree with you. It makes no sense to ban the vests if guns are not regulated to at least the same, should be greater, degree. This is Merica though, I can buy a grenade launcher I just cant buy the ammo. You know so my minigun, flamethrower, barret 50 cal anti-material sniper rifle (I probably use it to hunt deer) and assault rifle collection will be complete.

That said I feel like backpack inserts and bullet proof hoodies are a knee jerk reaction. The hoodie is cool, but are you gonna wear it everyday, to everywhere? Cops get killed because they don't maintain the discipline of wearing their vests at all times and they get paid to wear it, punished for taking it off and know their every day risks are high. Now admittedly their vests are bulkier and more rigid but that's also becauase their vests are designed to stop rifle fire, I suspect that hoodie is only good against hand guns. Better than nothing but now we need to be wearing the hoodie the day and time and place of a shooting and the shooter needs to be using something smaller than their typical go to asualt rifle.

Similarly the backpack inserts, these things can stop pretty much everthing and your likely to have your bag with you at shool but will you have it with you or near you when the moment comes? What if its lunch period, PE, school assembly? Do you cover your front or your back? easy if you know where the shooter is but otherwise 50:50.

So maybe America will reach the point that you wont go to a concert or something without your bullet proof vest but I cant see people wearing bullet proof clothing 24/7.

Yes, the hoodie and the bulletproof backpacks are not effective against assault rifles, but there are laptop case / backpack inserts that are. I already carry a bag to put away my antipollution mask so I might as well start wearing a carrying case with the insert. The likelihood of politics allowing for solutions to gun violence and climate change seems low, so we might as well get used to walking around in our bulletproof space-suits. The Yes Men were essentially right (while intended as satire, this is actually a great idea):

https://www.youtube....h?v=eKoE-k-pxtY

My Halloween costume this year will almost certainly be something that can incorporate bulletproof armor. It's surprising that bulletproof fashion / armor fashion isn't more popular in the United States (yet), especially given the cultural prominence of gangsta rap, Game of Thrones / LoTR, Star Wars....

At many schools students already carry their backpacks to class and lunch (was true at my school). PE while wearing backpacks or armor is just better exercise. (Simply replace every competitive sport with the same sport while wearing more protection. Win-win.) Arming teachers with nonlethal stun guns seems like a good idea. (Potentially lethal guns or tasers... not so much. Granted, anything is "potentially" lethal in the extreme....)

Anything short of the full suit (including face) won't offer full protection. Large wearable shield that I could strap to my back is also tempting... and if a bullet goes through my shoulder and ricochets off my shield into my head, at least I'll have a little more immortal (or at least, undead) fame than the general blur of shooting victims.

Government and industry should be pouring more resources into developing comfortable bulletproof casualwear that's effective against assault weapons. Even a nation-wide assault weapons ban would almost certainly be inadequate, at least in the short term. And better nonlethal weapons (particularly for incapacitating shooters who may be wearing body armor).

Instead, the US military has announced it's 'working on a tiny assault rifle that can punch clean through body armor' ('Tiny Machine Gun Prototype'):
https://taskandpurpo...e-gun-prototype

[Edit: Locally, there were at least 12 shootings over the weekend that 'touched nearly every corner of the city', including one near a playground that was hosting a movie night for children; 'When families are not safe at their local playground it’s beyond bad it’s a state of emergency!']

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users