• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9281 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

Tonight all eyes and attention will be on Biden and Harris. All the others (don't know many of them to be honest) should just pack it in. It will be interesting to see if Harris and Biden go at it, with Biden needing to answer the dressing-down he received by her last time. I also anticipate one (or more) of the others attempting to stand out to get a bump. It will be interesting to see how (and in what way) that could manifest.

#9282 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:52 AM

Oh great. Trump is visiting Denmark September 2nd-3rd.

That's gonna be something.

#9283 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

'Rep. Cheney Accuses Tribes of "Destroying our Western Way of Life" Over Sacred Grizzly Protections'

https://nativenewson...lN3SNJHve4VnQ0c

More hypocrisy:

'Removing protections from the bear, revered as sacred to a multitude of tribes, would have [...] lifted leasing restrictions on some 34,375 square miles. Extractive industry, livestock and logging interests are among those desirous of capitalizing on the area [...]

Cheney contends that, “the ruling that forced today’s action was both needless and harmful to the ecosystem, which is why I introduced legislation earlier this year to reinstate the original, science-based decision by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to delist the grizzly [...]

Tribal Nations, including the Oglala Sioux Tribe which petitioned for a Congressional inquiry into the influence of multi-national fossil-fuel corporations on FWS’s grizzly delisting decision, previously exposed the role of extractive industry in the process. USFWS engaged multinational oil and gas services group, Amec Foster Wheeler, for the peer review of its grizzly delisting rule that tribes and environmental groups deconstructed in court. Amec Foster Wheeler appointed Halliburton executive Jonathan Lewis as CEO in the same timeframe as USFWS contracted the company.

“That puts ‘harmful to the ecosystem’ into its true context,” responded Rodgers. “The Cheney family’s connections to Halliburton hardly needs elaborating upon,” added Chief Stan Grier, President of the Blackfoot Confederacy Chiefs.'

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

#9284 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

It's not even coded. Meanwhile, gold miners in Brazil are overrunning tribal lands and murdering people. Same project of extraction, colonialism, and slaughter it ever was.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9285 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

Tariffs on iPhones? Is impeachment now guaranteed?

#9286 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostCause, on 02 August 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

Tariffs on iPhones? Is impeachment now guaranteed?

Now a tariff on Twitter I could support ...

:)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9287 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Twitter should have banned his ass long ago for hate speech. Hypocrites.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#9288 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

I kind of support the notion that it's better to allow the President to expose himself daily than to block him. Without his Twitter profile he'd seem much less idiotic and more sympathetic. And he keeps making judicial and diplomatic mistakes on Twitter that has hampered him and his whore house of an administration.

#9289 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

How has it hampered him aside from causing daily outrage and disgust from anyone with a decent bone in their body?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9290 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

It actually has bit him on the ass a couple times in courts with his executive orders. The biggest that comes to mind is the Muslim Ban: it was slapped down multiple times for religious animus, citing DJT's tweets, until the admin skewed the order just enough for John Roberts, whose life's mission seems to be getting bigots to be smarter about their legalese.

#9291 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Of course, as the courts get flooded with right wing loons who aren't even the proponents of barest subtlety John Roberts is, it'll be more and more moot. If you wanna know what Mitch McConnell is focused on.

#9292 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:01 PM

The problem with giving bigots a platform, which includes keeping Trump on Twitter, is that as much as you like the idea of exposing the ideas to more people (that fucking sunlight bullshit which is bullshit as an analogy) means yes, some people will realise that the bigot is a shit, but other people will agree, and be emboldened to agree publically because what's wrong, it's being said out loud and being broadcast! So we have a chain reaction of idiots who lack pattern recognition allowing bigots to talk to bigger and bigger audiences without ever clocking on to the fact their influence growing is a direct consequence.

Also Twitter's Jack Dorsey is a fascist who follows other fascists and ensures Twitter says a right wing safe space.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9293 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:18 AM

I 100% agree with that, right down to the part about Dorsey (and extend that to pretty much all the social media kingpins). It's not that Apt's take doesn't make a kind of sense in a vacuum...it's just that it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and macro view the upside is absolutely dwarfed by the downside.

Case in point:

Fortunately, the opposition party is led by Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and this dumb bastard...so, you know, it's in good hands.

#9294 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:06 AM

What's wrong with Biden's opinion about youth and politics? The article obviously wants to skew his staments but he's not wrong. If you really do want change, stop complaining and act, get involved, vote, show up political events, protest.

#9295 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:06 AM

Besides the fact that it’s condescending oldtimer “kids these days” nonsense? The kind of appeal to Minions Meme boomers at the expense of everyone else even Hilary Clinton wasn’t stupid enough to pull while running for president? Probably the fact that all those things are already going on and happen to involve rejecting his corporate bootlicker ass, which is what’s really making him salty. Imagine the nerve of some boomer—and not just anyone, but one who had an intimate hand in all the bloodsucking neolib vampirism of the last three decades — lecturing the Dreamer generation, the BLM generation, the climate change is an emergency generation, the $1 trillion debt, most productive but making 20% less generation, on getting involved. It’s like Hannibal Lector telling Zac Efron to eat healthier.

#9296 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:12 AM

But I'm not seeing that in the quotes in the article. He states that his generation created the problems. Now the new generation have to change things.

Is it duplicitous to have more than one agenda historically? Sure, doesn't change the message though.

What do you want him to say? Good job, we'll take it from here? He's not speaking to activists. He's speaking to every young person out there. Especially the college demographic, who has the means to mobilize.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 04 August 2019 - 06:13 AM

#9297 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:55 AM

This is the latest in a chain of him making these remarks about millennials, some even more damning. I guess you’d have to have that context to fully understand how not well meaning his remarks really are. But even so, isn’t it apparent that telling someone to stop complaining and actually do something carries with it a pretty heavy implication that the someone is currently just complaining and not doing something? What he’s saying is a close cousin of conservative (and generational) talking points about millennials being lazy and entitled, ‘killing’ the housing market etc., and just all around being a much less ‘serious’ generation who just want ‘free stuff.’ He’s not saying that outright—at least this time—but he’s still embracing a false premise that is a cornerstone of that narrative, with the baggage fully loaded.

And one must consider, how does his saying these things fit in the context of remarkably high Bernie & Warren support among millennials, as well as enthusiasm for policies like the Green New Deal, Medicare For All, and college debt relief? Well, see, he’s not just not speaking to activists...he’s not actually speaking to millennials at all. He’s talking to conserva-Dem boomers and other oldsters *about* millennials, evoking a narrative they’ve already been spoon fed by countless millennial-bashing articles and stories crowding the zeitgeist. Not sure if those exist where you are, but we’re floating in them.

#9298 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

I think Old people complaining about young people exists everywhere. I of course don't follow American Politics that closely but as a middle aged person I certainly feel the "get of my lawn" creeping into me.

#9299 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

3 mass shootings in a week, I hope they speak for 3 weeks before deciding everything is fine the way it is.

This does seem excellent evidence for the idea that gun violence spreads by gun violence. I would love a journalist to investigate to what extent each shooter was exposed to news abou the previous shooting and perhaps inspired to act by it.

#9300 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

That's a little bit of a misconception. There weren't 3 mass shootings last week. This is America, that would be crazy. From the period of July 28 to August 3, there were 17 mass shootings in the United States. Your idea for journalists is interesting, of course, but let's not be hasty. Republicans may have already found the culprit: video games.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users