• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#8861 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Postworry, on 12 May 2019 - 04:18 AM, said:

It's this kind of bold, against-the-grain action you just gotta respect. I'd like to see anyone attempt an argument against this decision.

Exactly. It's the fault of those pesky critters for choosing to live on all that sweet real estate.
What with all it's oil, coal, potential for vast cattle farms or even houses for homeless wannabe suburbanites ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8862 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:52 AM

The people who devised this plan aren't bad people, they just have differing ideas of how to serve our country (something we all want, however much we disagree on how). We shouldn't let politics divide us. Now can I count on your vote in 2020?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8863 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

So this is now happening... Further muddying of the waters and trying to hide the truth...
https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-48263249
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8864 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 May 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

So this is now happening... Further muddying of the waters and trying to hide the truth...
https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-48263249

13 Days Ago:

SEN. KAMALA HARRIS: Attorney General Barr, has the president or anyone at the White House ever asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone?
WILLIAM BARR, ATTORNEY GENERAL: I wouldn't – I wouldn't –
HARRIS: Yes or no?
BARR: Could you – could you repeat that question?
HARRIS: I will repeat it.
BARR: Yes.
HARRIS: Has the president or anyone at the White House ever asked or suggested that you open an investigation of anyone? Yes or no, please, sir.
BARR: The president or anybody else.
HARRIS: Seems you would remember something like that and be able to tell us.
BARR: Yes, but I`m trying to grapple with the word suggest. I mean, there have been discussions of matters out there that they have not asked me to open an investigation. But –
HARRIS: Perhaps they've suggested?
BARR: I don't know. I wouldn't say suggest.
HARRIS: Hinted?
BARR: I don`t know.

As a prosecutor she is aware of the rule: "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to." She knew this is what Barr had planned/had been asked to do.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8865 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

Republicans are vile and this administration is an absolute farce.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8866 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

Nah, they're patriots. Heck, right this moment they're working on how to free the U.S. from the tyrannous yoke of both Venezuela and Iran. We'll be in a war for our very freedom with one or the other by this time next year. All we need is a Gulf of Tonkin type situation to get us over the edge and we can start polishing our flagpoles.

#8867 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

BK, I'd like to introduce you to my friend context. I think you two will get along swimmingly! Posted Image
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8868 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

On the one hand, as much as I hate him, I wish these weren't empty promises and that he'd actually do something for somebody at some point. I don't doubt that the people there need it.

On the other hand, "I'll do this for you after the election" only works if you're not already the President. Otherwise it's extortion, just phrased the inverse way. "You know that bridge you need? It would be a real shame if it didn't happen, if you get what I mean." How is anyone hearing that not furious? Why isn't he running on his record of having already gotten them that bridge built?

#8869 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

You should go see Endgame, it's pretty good.

#8870 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:23 AM

That's why, if I was president, Infrastructure Week would look like this:

#8871 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

View PostLackluster Bachelorette, on 14 May 2019 - 11:27 PM, said:

I would have by now had I not been struck down. Still recovering. Only at 67% BK still

So would you say you're currently at level 3 Structural Deficiency? :D

Looking at that news article about his vist, this caught my eye:

"After President Trump wrapped up his visit, Air Force One took off towards Southeast Louisiana for a campaign fundraiser"

Ours do it here too, but there desperately needs to be a law that they should NOT be allowed to use public resources for campaigning.
Of course then you get the bullshit of them scrambling to come up with some ribbon-cutting to justify it, but it needs to be a blanket rule - if you do ANYTHING like fundraising, or Party meetings, visiting donors etc, BAM, back to work you go and you foot the bill for the trip. No excuses and a second offence means possible charges for misuse of public money. You'd need a powerful, independently funded ministry or section of the tax office or Treasury to run that, and that in itself would create problems as everyone would try to staff it with their cronies. Like the SCOTUS really.
But of course noone in parliament/congress/whatever would vote for that because they're all on the gravy train. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 15 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8872 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:26 AM

View Postworry, on 14 May 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

On the one hand, as much as I hate him, I wish these weren't empty promises and that he'd actually do something for somebody at some point. I don't doubt that the people there need it.

On the other hand, "I'll do this for you after the election" only works if you're not already the President. Otherwise it's extortion, just phrased the inverse way. "You know that bridge you need? It would be a real shame if it didn't happen, if you get what I mean." How is anyone hearing that not furious? Why isn't he running on his record of having already gotten them that bridge built?

Yip a man who is president and who wont be up for re-election for another 2 years talking like that is madness. As is the fact that the second he wont the elction he started campaigning for the second

#8873 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostCause, on 15 May 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 14 May 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

Yip a man who is president and who wont be up for re-election for another 2 years talking like that is madness. As is the fact that the second he wont the elction he started campaigning for the second

Yep. When he is president he has to face critics. As a campaigner he just has thousands of adoring fans spending money on his merch and chanting his name. He is a moronic narcissist and he revels in the adoration. No-one says no to him at a rally.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8874 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:18 PM

Seems normal. Wouldn't worry about it.

#8875 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

What's the gut feeling on the US Iran issue? The more I hear the more I get a bad, bad feeling about what comes next.

#8876 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

I don't have the grasp of foreign policy that a lot of people here do, but my sense is: John Bolton wants war. Netanyahu wants war (on America's dime). Our bloodthirsty profiteers in business and in media want war. Mike Pompeo wants apocalyptic war. Donald Trump doesn't necessarily want war, he wants something like Obama's deal except with his name on it. But he's so stupid and incompetent at everything that he might 'bluff' us into war anyway, doing his strongman act and being goaded by these ghouls. I don't want to say it's inevitable, but he's used to consequence-free provocations and we've seen how scatterbrained and meltdown-ready he is whenever there's even the hint of consequences on his horizon. I'm very much concerned he'll do something he can't back down from.

#8877 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

It's cool if he can't back down from it he'll just tell everyone that's what he always said despite actually saying the complete opposite and all the morons who support him will accept it and voila history is rewritten.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 18 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8878 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostAptorian, on 18 May 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

What's the gut feeling on the US Iran issue? The more I hear the more I get a bad, bad feeling about what comes next.

2020 is gone if he tries to go to war.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8879 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:11 AM

One would hope so.

Wonder if this is a precursor to ordering troops to do some unsavory acts in the future. Probably I'm just being paranoid huh.

#8880 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Did you see the clip? He shrugged that drop kick off like it was nothing. The Austrian Oak lives up to his name.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users