• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7781 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Also, you're going to want engaged people to vote in the Dem presidential primary, cuz if we end up with another corporate candidate we're doomed.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7782 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:22 AM

What happened to the days when a political party was about more than the person at the head of it?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7783 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

I think the notion that somehow it was better in the old days is a bit rose-tinged. With highly controlled, limited media they just weren't as obvious to the masses about their stupidity and greed.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 15 October 2018 - 07:52 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7784 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

Yah nostalgia is dumb because you can guarantee the people saying it was all better in the old days were moaning about something else back then.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7785 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 October 2018 - 12:01 PM, said:

I think the notion that somehow it was better in the old days is a big rose-tinged. With highly controlled, limited media they just weren't as obvious to the masses about their stupidity and greed.

With US politics I'd say its rather the opposite. The old days felt bad in the moment because no one believed how bad it could get.

Its kind of like fine dining every night for your life. And tonight there's a smudge on my glass. Last night my plate was not warm. Two nights ago I asked for my asparagus al dente, and they weren't.

Then suddenly you're eating dog food nightly, and your old complaints seem so trivial.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7786 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:08 AM

The problem is the party. Donald Trump didn't lead to the GOP, the GOP led to Donald Trump.

This guy's been in congress since 2009:

#7787 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:22 AM

View Postworry, on 16 October 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

The problem is the party. Donald Trump didn't lead to the GOP, the GOP led to Donald Trump.

This guy's been in congress since 2009:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice how it attempts to link Lincoln to Trump: '"While there is a myth that Lincoln didn't drink and swore not to, what he actually said was that he didn't care for it, since it left him feeling "flabby and undone." (Given the quality of whiskey available at the time, I don't doubt it.) Later, during his presidency, at White House celebrations or dinners he would take a small sip of wine or Champagne, "so he wouldn't look like a stick in the mud," says Cornelius.'

https://www.thedaily...ueled-diplomacy

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 October 2018 - 12:23 AM

#7788 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:36 AM

Yah, the party of Lincoln stuff is laughable, or would be if it wasn't used to hurt so many people.

(And to be clear, I'm not saying the president -- any president -- doesn't play a major role in setting the national tone. Trump's one gift, if you can call it that, is playing to his audience from the bully pulpit).

#7789 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:59 AM

No question the republicans built the angry voter base that Trump co-opted.

Actually fox built it, the Tea Party weaponized it and Trump detonated it.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7790 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:35 PM

Is that Eisenhower he's supposed to be sitting next to? From what little I know of Ike, I don't think he'd approve of Trump?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7791 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 October 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

Is that Eisenhower he's supposed to be sitting next to? From what little I know of Ike, I don't think he'd approve of Trump?

You mean a republican president who ran specifically to block his republican opponent's isolationist policies and keep the US in NATO? Yeah Id say they have different priorities.

#7792 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

You guys aren't allowed to come to Disneyland.

#7793 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

I want to move to Texas just to vote for Beto O'Rourke.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7794 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

View Postworry, on 17 October 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

You guys aren't allowed to come to Disneyland.

I would love to know how much $$$ the US has lost in Canadian tourism since Trump. I've been seeing these stories pop up as legalization approached and the overwhelming reaction is a shrug followed by, "Who was going to Trump's America anyway?" Not that I think our tourism dollars are much of a blip on their economy but I am curious.

Personally, I had the option of going to Hawaii this coming Christmas with the in-laws. The thought of putting myself at the mercy of US border services put a stop to that plan real quick. I have a medical prescription for cannabis and I can guarantee those clowns will somehow access my personal medical record to deny entry. When you add in situations like phones being seized and searched (i.e. show me all your banking info, emails, etc.) I would probably have to be coerced into going. It's a shame because I grew up on so much American tv and media that I have dozens of places I'd like to see.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#7795 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:17 PM

So now Trump is openly supporting someone who body slammed a journalist, in the same week that the murder on a us-saudi journalist is being investigated. There is no bottom to fall through anymore, the pit of depravity is seemingly endless. And people cheer him.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7796 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Ano, try going through US border control with Russian and Iranian visa dockets in your passport.

#7797 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 October 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

So now Trump is openly supporting someone who body slammed a journalist, in the same week that the murder on a us-saudi journalist is being investigated. There is no bottom to fall through anymore, the pit of depravity is seemingly endless. And people cheer him.

That can't be right. What does beating up journalists have to do with economic anxiety?!?!

#7798 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:16 AM

View PostGorefest, on 19 October 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Grabbed him by the neck, body-slammed him, and then punched him in the head repeatedly.

Here's Trump pretending to do something similar in his fake wrestling debut:

#7799 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

If you thought North Carolina's 2016 anti-trans 'bathroom bill' was bad...you were right. It was. And while the bathroom portion was later repealed, a lot of it -- including barring cities from offering civil rights protections to trans people -- remained. Anyway, I bring this up because -- as was obvious at the time -- the GOP's concern with trans people isn't about bathrooms, isn't about safety, isn't about kids. It's about absolute dehumanization. Absolute erasure. Cruelty for cruelty's sake. And on that note...

#7800 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:54 PM

North Carolina, outside of Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham area( Duke University ) has some strange places and cities.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

Share this topic:

• 720 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

30 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users