• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7761 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:48 AM

Cruelty for cruelty's sake.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7762 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:08 PM

In light of what Nevlyn was saying, here's an ActBlue page created by Rob Delaney that will spread your donation across 8 key tossup Senate seats for this 2018 election. It includes Beto and specifically leaves out Joe Manchin (and you can choose to split it differently between the eight races if you so wish). https://secure.actbl...emsretakesenate

#7763 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:42 AM

Yet another massively disappointing and regressive day for America.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7764 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

So why did democrat Joe Munchin vote for Kavanaugh. Having lost anyway he likes to show that both sides of the house can work together or did he really like kavanaugh?

Collins explanation that she believes ford was raped but not by Kavanaugh is the most insanse nonsense I have ever seen. You cant say you believe the accuser but not the accusation. That's the most ridiculous politician speak. Id be happy if she said she didn't believe it, too little evidence to act on etc but this is just bullshit. Same as that other senator who with no evidence suggested it could have been a look a like classmate.

As many have pointed out, the reason this is so insanse is that they have 24 back ups. Surely one could be found who believes the same thing but has less smoke. The thing is I don't know if I believe it. That's not the point. Its an appointment for life to one of the highest institutions in America. Its not if he is qualified for the job, its if he is the most qualified and suitable out of every possible candidate.

#7765 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Manchin voted yes because he's a senator for a state which Trump won big in 2016 - his seat is on the line.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#7766 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

Khellendros, on 08 October 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Manchin voted yes because he's a senator for a state which Trump won big in 2016 - his seat is on the line.

This might be a small reason why, but Manchin's been like this since he was governor. He's quite probably a Democrat who didn't switch to the Republican side in the late sixties and early seventies when the southern strategy was really going.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7767 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

I assume his owners told him to vote for Kav. It's definitely true he's in a Trump state and faces an election this year, which isn't a non-factor, but his polling averages almost 10 points ahead of his opponent. He could have voted No on Kav and Yes on whoever the list vomited up next without it being a huge risk to his lead. But voters come second to donors.

#7768 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

The president of the united states sitting down with Kanye west to discuss housing and education! Wow!

Two narcissists enabling each other. Mental health professionals are needed.

#7769 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

Cause, on 12 October 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

The president of the united states sitting down with Kanye west to discuss housing and education! Wow!

Not only that, but Kanye is Bi-Polar and unmedicated by his own admission. Anything he's doing and saying while likely in a "manic" stage (if he were in the depressive stage, you would not be seeing him out and about much) of his illness with no pharmaceutical help, is insanity to the nth degree.

Trump doens't have an excuse....unless he has early onset dementia?

Anyways, yeah it's completely nuts.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 October 2018 - 12:00 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7770 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

QuickTidal, on 12 October 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Cause, on 12 October 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Not only that, but Kanye is Bi-Polar and unmedicated by his own admission. Anything he's doing and saying while likely in a "manic" stage (if he were in the depressive stage, you would not be seeing him out and about much) of his illness with no pharmaceutical help, is insanity to the nth degree.

Trump doens't have an excuse....unless he has early onset dementia?

Anyways, yeah it's completely nuts.

Okay I read an article that summarized the talk but now I just watched it. He needs help. He just rambles for 15 minutes about absolute crap. 98th percentile IQ, 75th percentile of all humans, the constitution is the floor but we don't have a trap door? Hillary Clinton didn't make him think he could play catch wit his son. An Iplane! He needs help and people should not be enabling him.

#7771 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

I suspect Cheetotron will jump at anything that gives him an opportunity to brag about how loved he is by Black Americans.

Also suspect Kanye is flailing for relevance and this thing with Trump is him being edgy in his own unwell mind. A few years from now when the Dark Timeline is behind us, expect him to come out of an extended bout of therapy and detox and label the whole thing a symptom of his illness and horrible mistake.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7772 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

I love your optimism that the dark timeline will be so short lived.

#7773 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

Abyss, on 12 October 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

I suspect Cheetotron will jump at anything that gives him an opportunity to brag about how loved he is by Black Americans.

Also suspect Kanye is flailing for relevance and this thing with Trump is him being edgy in his own unwell mind. A few years from now when the Dark Timeline is behind us, expect him to come out of an extended bout of therapy and detox and label the whole thing a symptom of his illness and horrible mistake.

Macros, on 12 October 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

I love your optimism that the dark timeline will be so short lived.

Geologically speaking.

Realistically the US will probably reelect him for another term so he can really REALLY foul things up, in the UK Brexit will go fwd in some strange form that makes precisely no one in the UK or Europe happy, in Canada Ontario is stuck with Ford for four years and gods only know what the CAQ are going to get up to in Quebec... so yeah, 6-10 years, assuming we don't just combust as a species.

...unless someone... not naming names... has a working time travel device, a bottle of whiskey, and no plans this afternoon...

#7774 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:52 PM

I believe the trump cultists will only need one term to summon his infernal majesty, the great gilded demon prince, Mammon. At which point the orange time of troubles will be over and we will all live in a great gulf resort in paradise.

#7775 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

Alternative Goose, on 12 October 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

I believe the trump cultists will only need one term to summon his infernal majesty, the great gilded demon prince, Mammon. At which point the orange time of troubles will be over and we will all live in a great gulf resort in paradise.

Don't believe the hype. Only the Chosen Cheeto'ists will actually prosper. The rest of us are scrubbing toilets and carrying golf bags.

#7776 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

Anyone here ever met a five-year-old?

#7777 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:08 AM

So, random question.

2020. Is there any reason for a whole bunch of people who are currently registered as Democrats not to register as Republicans and primary the fuck out of Trump?
And at the same time, if enough people registered as Republican, would this not mess with the gerrymandering attempts?

I feel like there are good reasons this wouldn't work but the depth of my US political knowledge ends beyond the second level of details or so.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#7778 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:35 PM

In some states it doesn’t even matter what you’re registered as. In Illinois, they just ask if you want a Democratic or republican ballot when you go to vote.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7779 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

I find it strange that you register as anything at all. Here, we just turn up and everyone is given the same ballot with all candidates for your area on. I could vote for a different party in every election if I wanted and no-one would know any different.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7780 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

Yah party affiliation rules differ state by state, often in weird ways. In California, for instance, it's open primaries except for the president. But in the fully closed primary states you're thinking of, one disadvantage of that strategy is you would be locking yourself out of voting in down-ballot Dem primaries.

All that said, even though Trump is very likely to be primaried (by Jeff Flake & John Kasich, I imagine), there's very low probability he won't be the 2020 R candidate. Mostly his rivals will do it to sell their "What ever happened to civility?" books (if it was a Dem prez, those same people would be selling "How liberals are destroying America" books, mind you).

Share this topic:

• 720 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

35 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users