• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13621 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:12 PM

This seems really cool and good, in my opinion.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13622 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:25 PM

View Postworry, on 06 April 2023 - 01:12 PM, said:

This seems really cool and good, in my opinion.

No one should be surprised by this. At this point the rot is throughout your so-called democracy/republic. This motherfucker has been a cancerous stain on your democracy since he got his seat on the back of clear sexual harassment.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13623 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 April 2023 - 11:43 AM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 05:18 AM, said:

Stormy Daniels has some real grit!

She becomes even more impressive as a human when you learn about her youth and what she escaped with a delinquent/neglectful mom, deep poverty, and a bunch of sexual abuse....and her mother is a goddamn Trump Supporter (this would be more surprising if she was not a Deep South Baton Rouge Republican, but still)...but yeah she now calls her "sex mad"....you know if Southern Bible thumper republicans could reckon with sex work in a positive light instead of hiding their clear affinity for it in their respective closets, the world might be a better place. Her mom claims that she had a good childhood, and all sorts (on places like the Daily Mail and Fox News of course, because no reputable outlet will have her)....but you don't leave home at like age 18 and start stripping to pay the bills as a straight-A student if your home life is "good". If you strike out on your own that young against the wishes of your parents, something isn't right at home.

I guess my opinion of her centres on that one act. Or however many times she girded her loins to do it. I'm trying not to think about it too much!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#13624 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 02:22 PM, said:

She becomes even more impressive as a human when you learn about her youth and what she escaped with a delinquent/neglectful mom, deep poverty, and a bunch of sexual abuse....and her mother is a goddamn Trump Supporter (this would be more surprising if she was not a Deep South Baton Rouge Republican, but still)...but yeah she now calls her "sex mad"....you know if Southern Bible thumper republicans could reckon with sex work in a positive light instead of hiding their clear affinity for it in their respective closets, the world might be a better place. Her mom claims that she had a good childhood, and all sorts (on places like the Daily Mail and Fox News of course, because no reputable outlet will have her)....but you don't leave home at like age 18 and start stripping to pay the bills as a straight-A student if your home life is "good". If you strike out on your own that young against the wishes of your parents, something isn't right at home.

I guess my opinion of her centres on that one act. Or however many times she girded her loins to do it. I'm trying not to think about it too much!

I can only imagine the dirty talk or pillow talk, lol.

"That was the best you've ever had it. Definitely. The best ever you'd say, when they asked. And they'll ask! How could they not?! I'm the most famous, smartest, richest man... and now the best at sex too, Stormy. Now the best at that too. Don't know how I do it! All these gifts, they just, what can I say? All these gifts. Best ever."
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13625 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 April 2023 - 03:16 PM

Bigliest. Yugest.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13626 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 04:03 PM

Her shot at him on twitter - "He wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole." "It was more like 3 inches" - was glorious.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13627 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 April 2023 - 07:25 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 06 April 2023 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 02:22 PM, said:

I can only imagine the dirty talk or pillow talk, lol.

"That was the best you've ever had it. Definitely. The best ever you'd say, when they asked. And they'll ask! How could they not?! I'm the most famous, smartest, richest man... and now the best at sex too, Stormy. Now the best at that too. Don't know how I do it! All these gifts, they just, what can I say? All these gifts. Best ever."

This gave me iskaralnpust vibes rather than trump lol

#13628 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 07 April 2023 - 11:54 PM

A federal judge in Texas blocked U.S. government approval of a key abortion medication Friday, siding with abortion foes in an unprecedented lawsuit and potentially upending nationwide access to the pill widely used to terminate pregnancies.

The highly anticipated ruling puts on hold the Food and Drug Administration’s approval of mifepristone, a medication first cleared for use in the United States in 2000. The ruling will not go into effect for seven days to give the government time to appeal.

U.S. District Judge Matthew J. Kacsmaryk, a nominee of President Donald Trump with long-held antiabortion views, agreed with the conservative groups seeking to reverse the FDA’s approval of mifepristone as safe and effective, including in states where abortion rights are protected.

https://www.washingt...g-mifepristone/

The practice of judge shopping in rural counties where there is only one residing judge needs to be halted. Yet again, a right wing judge in a one judge court in Texas tries to change national policy. To anyone following the case, it was abundantly clear this would be the case as soon as it was known where the suit was filed.

At least a second judge in a different case in Washington State has ordered that the FDA continue allowing access.

#13629 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 April 2023 - 12:30 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 07 April 2023 - 11:54 PM, said:

A federal judge in Texas blocked U.S. government approval of a key abortion medication Friday, siding with abortion foes in an unprecedented lawsuit and potentially upending nationwide access to the pill widely used to terminate pregnancies.

The highly anticipated ruling puts on hold the Food and Drug Administration’s approval of mifepristone, a medication first cleared for use in the United States in 2000. The ruling will not go into effect for seven days to give the government time to appeal.

U.S. District Judge Matthew J. Kacsmaryk, a nominee of President Donald Trump with long-held antiabortion views, agreed with the conservative groups seeking to reverse the FDA’s approval of mifepristone as safe and effective, including in states where abortion rights are protected.

https://www.washingt...g-mifepristone/

The practice of judge shopping in rural counties where there is only one residing judge needs to be halted. Yet again, a right wing judge in a one judge court in Texas tries to change national policy. To anyone following the case, it was abundantly clear this would be the case as soon as it was known where the suit was filed.

At least a second judge in a different case in Washington State has ordered that the FDA continue allowing access.

I live in a hell hole.

#13630 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:18 AM

Donald Trump’s worst delusion, that no rules bind him, is finally under threat
The Donald Trump who read angry words off a teleprompter after his court appearance was a man diminished in one important way.

https://www.news.com...c30413fcfdeb5bf

----------------------

If only. Still, maybe death by a thousand cuts will prove more effective than one mighty blow.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13631 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 April 2023 - 03:44 PM

Just to add regarding Mifepristone:

It was first approved in 2000
That’s 23 years ago
It’s been in use in France since 1987.
That’s 36 years of major use

We clearly don’t have enough evidence to say if it works or if it’s safe.

#13632 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:02 PM

This is all completely absurd, an outrageous abuse of power that no judge has ever even attempted before. [...]

It goes even further than expected, raising the possibility that he will impose "fetal personhood," which holds that every state must ban abortion because it murders a human. [...]

[...] In footnote one, he declares he'll use the phrase "unborn human" instead of fetus, claiming the later term is "unscientific." [...]

His entire theory of standing is also offensively nonsensical. Kascmaryk said physicians who may treat patients who have side effects from medical abortions prescribed by someone else are sufficiently injured by mifepristone to sue. But time and again, the Supreme Court has said that a plaintiff must have a particularized and concrete injury to obtain standing. A doctor can't sue the government for approving a drug that they claim harms somebody else; otherwise, every doctor could file an endless stream of lawsuits against every drug approval of all time. [...]

[...] judge declared that mailing any abortion drug is a federal crime under the Comstock Act, not only prohibiting mail-order mifepristone but raising the possibility that any provider who mails [...] misoprostol, which is used with mifepristone but can work on its own—could be prosecuted and incarcerated. The Comstock Act is an unenforced 19th century law designed to censor the U.S. mail that bans, as Kacsmaryk cited approvingly, the mailing of "[e]very obscene, lewd, lascivious, indecent, filthy or vile article, matter, thing, device, or substance."

Kacsmaryk's ruling against mifepristone will force the Supreme Court to act fast

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 April 2023 - 04:03 PM

#13633 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 April 2023 - 04:28 PM

Going to the Supreme Court quickly. I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Who knows how they will rule.

#13634 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

I think we can guess how they will rule. Actual law and precedent have no power over them.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 08 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

#13635 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 April 2023 - 12:01 PM

Ron DeSantis Is Luring Supreme Court Conservatives to Overturn Landmark Precedent Again

Despite long-standing Supreme Court precedent directing that the proposal is unconstitutional, Florida legislators this month are seeking to broaden the death penalty to non-homicide crimes. [...]

Specifically, the bills seek to broaden the death penalty to sexual battery crimes against children.

... now all he needs is some 'Satanic Panic' style suggestion to get kids to confabulate about Democrats... and he can put anybody who passes through Florida to death, as decided by a jury of their peers (elderly rabid Trump supporters with dementia...).

Red meat to QAnon and the 'LGBTQ = groomer / child sexual abuse!' brain-eating-meme-hordes....

blatant disregard for precedent undermines the bedrock of our court system—the theory of stare decisis. Worse, legislation attacking precedent undermines our system of government, which is grounded on a separation of powers.

[...] "slippery slope" of expanding the death penalty to non-homicide crimes [...]

[...] one death sentence costs the state millions of dollars more than a sentence of life in prison without parole. [... Florida] has had to deploy the National Guard just to meet its bare minimum [death row] staffing requirements [...]

[...] abuser in child sexual assault cases is most often a family member or close family friend. As a result, the living child victim—in addition to the trauma from the abuse—would bear the weight of the perpetrator being subject to a death sentence and suffer through the decades of uncertainty and appeals that are unique to capital punishment.

Ron DeSantis is luring Supreme Court conservatives to overturn major precedent. (slate.com)

Well, they do love their Bible... so the death sentence has a lot of room to roam. Sodomy, wearing the wrong thing?... it says it right there in the Bible, death! But they'd prefer to slander people with child molestation to rationalize murdering them for other reasons---for now.... Perhaps eventually they'll have made enough Progress that they can murder people just for being progressives?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 April 2023 - 12:06 PM

#13636 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:30 PM

The GOP North Dakota said it’s not the state’s responsibility to feed hungry kids at school when a federal program already exists, so they rejected adding funds.

Days later they increased their own food allowance.

This is almost the kind of over the top villainy I expect from a late night cartoon or something.

#13637 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 April 2023 - 09:19 PM

View PostCause, on 12 April 2023 - 06:30 PM, said:

The GOP North Dakota said it's not the state's responsibility to feed hungry kids at school when a federal program already exists, so they rejected adding funds.

Days later they increased their own food allowance.

This is almost the kind of over the top villainy I expect from a late night cartoon or something.

Guess their way of thinking is:

1. Let those kids WORK for their food by praying for good Christian charity, not glamorizing Go*less Communism!

If Go* loves them then Go* will provide. If not, well they deserve to be tortured for eternity anyway, so let them get their just desserts if they starve. So Go* wills it.

2. We work HARD for our food. It's not the government's job to support people or their children.

Sen. Mike Wobbema [video]:

We talk about personal responsibility as one of the major, um, principles... that the Republican party stands on [like a boot on the face of an emaciated toddler?]. Um, yes I can understand kids going hungry but is that really the problem... of... the school district, is that the problem of the state of North Dakota? It’s really the problem of parents being negligent with their kids, if their kids are choosing to eat in the first place, which is entirely the problem... that could be existing here. I don't believe that it is our responsibility [...] where does it stop?

(1) More Perfect Union on Twitter: "Republicans in North Dakota have killed a bill to provide free school lunch to kids in low-income families. “I can understand kids going hungry, but is that really the problem of the school district? Is that the problem of the state of North Dakota?" said Sen. Mike Wobbema. https://t.co/cNIlwVizms" / Twitter

3. Take that all you libtards in North Dakota! Owning the libs just like Jesus told is telling us to (through his angel Trump)!

#13638 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 April 2023 - 12:41 PM

This is the moxy I wish ALL reporters who deal with these fuckos had. Like this is another instance of Jon Stewart absolutely skewering every single element of this guys argument top to bottom and leaves him with nothing.

If every reporter in the media challenged these assholes like this, instead of soft-shoeing around them to retain "access" or "decorum"....then your country would be a different place.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13639 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 April 2023 - 01:39 PM

It's a weird feeling when a guy whose claim to fame was being a satirical journalist is asking the types of questions you don't often see other non-satirical journalists asking.

#13640 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 April 2023 - 03:25 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 April 2023 - 01:39 PM, said:

It's a weird feeling when a guy whose claim to fame was being a satirical journalist is asking the types of questions you don't often see other non-satirical journalists asking.

The irony is not lost ... except on too many American voters.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users