• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13601 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:01 PM

Hopeful spin: The Manhattan DA crossing the Rubicon will lessen the heat on other prosecutors to do what needs to be done in their own, stronger cases (Georgia, FBI).

Cynical spin: The Manhattan DA crossing the Rubicon will cause the other investigations to not pull the trigger in a wait-and-see-what happens mode.

Political take: The people who were going to vote for Trump were going to vote his way no matter what. Nothing about any prosecution would change that. They like him because of what he does. Whether it reenergizes that population into galvanizing their support behind only him and winning the primary will be determined later.

Monetary take: I can only imagine the amount of dollars this conman is about to wring out of suckers pockets because of an actual arrest and trial. Can you even fucking imagine? Lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13602 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:07 PM

@ worry

Basically what we talked about over the years, taking place. The Corp state. This is my brand of the left

https://consentfacto...ew-normal-left/
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#13603 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:08 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 April 2023 - 05:01 PM, said:

Hopeful spin: The Manhattan DA crossing the Rubicon will lessen the heat on other prosecutors to do what needs to be done in their own, stronger cases (Georgia, FBI).

Cynical spin: The Manhattan DA crossing the Rubicon will cause the other investigations to not pull the trigger in a wait-and-see-what happens mode.

Political take: The people who were going to vote for Trump were going to vote his way no matter what. Nothing about any prosecution would change that. They like him because of what he does. Whether it reenergizes that population into galvanizing their support behind only him and winning the primary will be determined later.

Monetary take: I can only imagine the amount of dollars this conman is about to wring out of suckers pockets because of an actual arrest and trial. Can you even fucking imagine? Lol.

The thing I care most about take: Actual Conviction means the man cannot run for public office ever again.

Also Re: Monetary take: Reportedly the money he made from his base-fried rubes in the last few few weeks of online "I'm being persecuted unfairly, send me money to fight this"....was 7million. It's scary how stupid these people are and how easily they part with their money.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13604 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:49 PM

@ Qt

On a purely legal line of thought. We have been being told since 2016 trump is guilty of .. something. At this point it’s been 7 years of this that how can a trial ever be deemed fair. ( I guess this applies to many high profile cases where it’s gets smothered all over the media).

I think barring a set of totally random events and the charges as is.. yaa Trump takes office again.

Also:
https://www.smithson...nian-180974594/

https://supreme.just...ral/us/419/256/
Watch him when he gets back in pardon himself.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#13605 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:29 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 04 April 2023 - 05:49 PM, said:

Watch him when he gets back in pardon himself.

“The President . . . shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.” Thus, the President’s authority to grant clemency is limited to federal offenses and offenses prosecuted by the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia in the name of the United States in the D.C. Superior Court. An offense that violates a state law is not an offense against the United States.

Frequently Asked Questions (justice.gov)

Charges against him in New York are non-federal; he won't be able to pardon himself for them.

Likewise in Georgia:

Experts Arguing That Trump Broke Georgia Law, Which He Cannot Self-Pardon For

[...] “[...] Trump cannot pardon himself for the violation of Georgia state criminal law in his soliciting election felonies by Georgia state officials, as recorded in this phone call,” [...]

Trump Can't Self-Pardon Alleged Georgia Crimes: Legal Experts | Law & Crime (lawandcrime.com)

#13606 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:10 PM

Come on QT stop presenting things like facts to Nico, they just confuse and anger him.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13607 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:32 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

The thing I care most about take: Actual Conviction means the man cannot run for public office ever again.

Convicted felons are allowed to run for president, even while incarcerated. People have (legally) run from prison before.

Can You Run for President From Prison? Yes, It's Been Done Twice (businessinsider.com)

Congress could try to invoke the 14th amendment in relation to the Georgia charges, but that would be separate from conviction in a Georgia court:

Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment gives Congress the power to disqualify someone who has already held a public office from holding "any office" if they participate in an "insurrection or rebellion" against the United States.

But since this mechanism has never been used against a president, there are still questions to resolve. The disqualification clause applies to current and former federal officials, state officials, and military officials. However, legal scholars are split on whether the disqualification clause applies to the presidency.

Disqualification from Public Office Under the 14th Amendment - FindLaw

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 April 2023 - 08:34 PM

#13608 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:52 PM

Trump could probably do a lot of the chief executive's job from a prison cell, with some accommodations, according to legal scholars.

First, he could take the oath of office there, as nothing within the Constitution requires a president to be at any particular location, Laurence Tribe, a constitutional-law professor at Harvard University, said.

[...] He could issue pardons, veto bills, issue executive orders, sign legislation, and make political appointments.

[...] One constitutional requirement for a president is a periodic State of the Union address to Congress.

But they don't need to be delivered in person.

Yes, Donald Trump Could Still Run for President From Prison in 2024 (businessinsider.com)

State of the Union address by Truth Social 'truthstorm'?

Trump might actually be a better president from prison... or not.

#13609 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:58 PM

2 things:

Can we please stop the ad hominem attacks? Can't we try to have the sort of political discourse we ask our leaders for (which they fail at)?

If Trump is a billionaire ... why is he always asking for donations? This sort of trial, even if it went to 2 years, should be Trump change (ha) for an actual billionaire.
Yes yes, he just doesn't want to spend his own money, but still.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13610 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 04 April 2023 - 09:01 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 April 2023 - 08:58 PM, said:

2 things:

Can we please stop the ad hominem attacks? Can't we try to have the sort of political discourse we ask our leaders for (which they fail at)?

If Trump is a billionaire ... why is he always asking for donations? This sort of trial, even if it went to 2 years, should be Trump change (ha) for an actual billionaire.
Yes yes, he just doesn't want to spend his own money, but still.

Wasn't one of his more so-called "redeeming" features that he was rich and didn't need to ask for donations?

I seem to recall him saying that sometime in 15 or 16.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#13611 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 April 2023 - 09:56 PM

Trump Says He Can’t Be Bought–Then Begs For Campaign Money

$2.5B isn't enough?

Trump Says He Can’t Be Bought–Then Begs For Campaign Money (thedailybeast.com)

Trump’s Net Worth Plunges $700 Million As Truth Social Flops

[...] fortune dropped from an estimated $3.2 billion last fall to $2.5 billion today. The biggest reason? His social media business, once hyped to the moon, has come crashing down, erasing $550 million from his net worth—so far.

Trump’s Net Worth Plunges $700 Million As Truth Social Flops (forbes.com)

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) responded to the indictment of Donald Trump with a desperate and furious plea for money from Fox News viewers. [...] or risk the destruction of the United States.

[...] “But you need to help this man, Donald J. Trump. They are trying to drain him dry.”

[...] “Give the president some money to fight this bullshit,” Graham urged. “This is going to destroy America.”

[...] “Lindsey Graham appears to be on the verge of crying” [in the video]

Lindsey Graham Gets Emotional Begging Fox News Viewers To Donate To Donald Trump | HuffPost Latest News

'Give the president some money to fight this bullshit'---even a broken clock...

#13612 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:00 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 April 2023 - 08:10 PM, said:

Come on QT stop presenting things like facts to Nico, they just confuse and anger him.

I think we should credit Nico a tiny bit for actually engaging a bit today instead of the usual hit and run they usually stick to.

#13613 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2023 - 12:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 April 2023 - 08:10 PM, said:

This is true.

View PostTsundoku, on 04 April 2023 - 08:58 PM, said:

If what Nico was presenting in the thread was actual discussion, then you could have a point, but it's not. He comes here and just hammers misinformation links at us as if they prove his point....they do not and never do. He doesn't "discuss" shit with us. We exist to be the Leftist wall be beats his head against.

View PostJPK, on 04 April 2023 - 10:00 PM, said:

I think we should credit Nico a tiny bit for actually engaging a bit today instead of the usual hit and run they usually stick to.

What he has done here is not "engaging" though, as I noted above he's just spamming more links than normal as "replies" couched in his regular far-right rhetoric nonsense.

Say what one will of BK, but at least he (as a right winger) had the stones to stand and ACTUALLY discuss with the opposing side. I would not give Nico the same credit in his schtick.

He doesn't want to engage with us because his mind of already made up on these topics. These people don't ask for the "proof" they seek to learn anything or change their minds....they want you to exhaust yourself doing all the fact-checking work only to dismiss it out of hand as "fake news"....if they believed/wanted actual facts, they would not be right wingers.

Misinformation and propaganda will always get derision from me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13614 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2023 - 04:22 PM

Saw something funny and accurate.

"Trump's Layers are all working ProBono....they just don't know it yet."

#13615 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 April 2023 - 04:43 PM

I love how open and honest Russian state media can be:

maybe, Solovyov said, [Trump] would end up seeking asylum in Russia.

[...] “[...] I am quite disappointed with Donald. He disappointed me back on January 6, 2021.” The Kremlin’s talking heads have long lamented that Trump had failed to trigger civil war in the United States.

[...] Solovyov relished the idea of Tucker Carlson portraying poor Trump as a victim, who was first dealt “a stolen election” and was later attacked by the Biden administration to impact his candidacy in the future. “I can write the talking points [for Tucker],” Solovyov offered.

[...] “unless the United States falls apart before then.” Head of RT [...] chimed in: “That would be so great!,” [...] Sidorov said that he had high hopes for Trump as “a destroyer of America.”

Russian State Media Mocks Donald Trump Indictment on Live TV

And for a civil war you may just need...

Eric Trump [... falsely] claiming that in Florida “tens and tens of thousands” lined the streets, while in Manhattan, “every single intersection was closed..there was an army around Trump Tower...there’s an army around the courthouse.”

Eric Trump Inflates Number of Supporters ‘Lining the Streets’ for His Dad

An 'army'... not being very subtle.

Happy the left retook the Wisconsin Supreme Court in the election yesterday; they might actually do something about the absurd gerrymander (there...), among other things. But what's a court against an 'army'?... Hopefully only an 'army' of (mostly) amateur idiots... who unfortunately may still be wielding assault rifles (... among other things...). Though I'd suppose the police, with their second-hand military hardware, might side with Trump... but presumably what they have is significantly worse than what the US military has (I hope).

#13616 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2023 - 04:49 PM

Azath, I'd just like to say that the way your structure your posts these days is SO much better and easier to parse than it used to be. Kudos.

#13617 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:22 PM

A reminder about personal attacks. Please refrain from them. We don't want to have to delete posts and impact the discussion in this thread.

Much appreciated

-Admin
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#13618 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:18 AM

I have mentioned before that I can't bear to look at Trump on TV. He makes my skin crawl. Stormy Daniels has some real grit! I haven't read anything he has said for a long time either - i can get the jist from the headlines and there is no point reading anything he says because it makes no sense. Yesterday I accidentally read some of his speech after his court appearance because I picked an article musing over where Melania is. I am intrigued by that woman (although I suspect there is nothing there if you scratch the surface). Trump was saying how great all of his kids are and when he got to Barron all he could think to say was that his is tall! What a moron. I am disappointed that my time on earth overlaps with that of Donald Trumps. I really hope he goes before I do. How anyone can take him seriously is beyond my comprehension.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#13619 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 06 April 2023 - 06:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 April 2023 - 04:49 PM, said:

Azath, I'd just like to say that the way your structure your posts these days is SO much better and easier to parse than it used to be. Kudos.

Agreed! Thanks!

#13620 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2023 - 11:43 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 05:18 AM, said:

Stormy Daniels has some real grit!

She becomes even more impressive as a human when you learn about her youth and what she escaped with a delinquent/neglectful mom, deep poverty, and a bunch of sexual abuse....and her mother is a goddamn Trump Supporter (this would be more surprising if she was not a Deep South Baton Rouge Republican, but still)...but yeah she now calls her "sex mad"....you know if Southern Bible thumper republicans could reckon with sex work in a positive light instead of hiding their clear affinity for it in their respective closets, the world might be a better place. Her mom claims that she had a good childhood, and all sorts (on places like the Daily Mail and Fox News of course, because no reputable outlet will have her)....but you don't leave home at like age 18 and start stripping to pay the bills as a straight-A student if your home life is "good". If you strike out on your own that young against the wishes of your parents, something isn't right at home.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users