The USA Politics Thread

#13661 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2023 - 08:43 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 26 April 2023 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well well well ...

Disney sues Florida Governor Ron DeSantis
Walt Disney has made the unprecedented move of suing the man who may go up against Donald Trump as the Republican nominee for president.

https://www.news.com...71579d724ad4b4d

Federal lawsuit---so it'll probably end up ultimately being decided by the Supreme Court (Trump's, not DeSantis's (state court)---but of course they did display some tiny amount of integrity in not letting Trump overturn the election, and he only appointed three of them (though two of the others are far right too, so 5/9 are Trump appointees either in fact or in spirit...).

Disney has better chances if one of the Republicans drops dead of course---Alito and Thomas being 73 and 74 respectively. Here's hoping that they get to Heaven soon....

John Roberts Is Acting Like Justices Are Kings

[...] In reality, it's just a monarchy tricked out as the least dangerous branch, with black robes instead of bejeweled crowns. Indeed, the implicit argument that justices are somehow entitled to live like kings is part of the current ethics problem. For their part, the justices insist that it must ever be thus, not realizing that the only question that matters is whether that willful blindness can be imposed upon the country by fiat. Chief Justice Roberts appears to believe it can.

Perhaps the most depressing part of Roberts' refusal to appear before the Senate is his claim that such appearances should be "exceedingly rare." [...] It seems the rule is that it's only ever the court that will determine when it has an ethics problem. [...] The fact that the chief justice thinks it's up to him to let us know when it thinks it's having a legitimacy crisis? That's why it's having a legitimacy crisis.

Supreme Court scandals: John Roberts' refusal to do anything is the move of a monarchist. (slate.com)

Hmm... maybe an airborne drone-guillotine?... or a swarm of them....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 April 2023 - 08:47 PM

#13662 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 April 2023 - 05:37 PM

"True things prevail. Where can you still find Americans saying true things? There aren't many places left. But there are some, and that's enough. As long as you can hear the words, there's hope."

The video is vague and borders on meaningless—unless you know whom [Tucker] Carlson is trying to talk to. While much of his elder Fox News audience isn't likely to follow him away from the network, his conspiratorial fringe has been looking for signs from him [...]

[...] once it became clear the news was true, the Carlson faithful came to a conclusion: "Tucker was the closest to unadulterated truth we have ever had on TV. That's why he was a massive threat that needed to be eliminated."

Tucker Carlson video: He broke his silence with a very weird statement. He had one goal in mind. (slate.com)

lol...

Brûlé par tous les feux qui ne m'ont pas illuminé

Whose ev'ry loine doth seem to shake a lance,
As brandisht at the oies of ignorance

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 29 April 2023 - 05:43 PM

#13663 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 May 2023 - 02:38 PM

George Santos indicted...on a lot of shit...holy crap he's fucking TOAST.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13664 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 May 2023 - 03:46 PM

Now do Boebert and MTG for similar shit. These people need to all go down for their crimes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13665 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 May 2023 - 06:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 May 2023 - 03:46 PM, said:

Now do Boebert and MTG for similar shit. These people need to all go down for their crimes.

Oh stop it, just the thought of those two going away for a long time gets me a bit excited! ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13666 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:35 PM

So I think we all by now know that Ring Wing nut job congressperson and general stupid person Lauren Boebert has filed for divorce from her sex offender husband...Which is already a juicy bit of schaudenfraude....but here's what said sex offender husband did when they tried to serve him:

The April 25 filing seeks to dissolve her marriage to Jayson Boebert, with whom she shares four sons. An affidavit of service, also obtained by The Daily Beast, indicate that Jayson Boebert appeared to be caught off guard by the court proceedings. He chased away a process server with an expletive-laden tirade and let his dogs loose when he was served with the divorce papers, the affidavit said.
“Once he learned that he was being served with Dissolution of Marriage papers he was extremely angry,” the process server wrote. “I tried to hand him the documents but [he] did not take them. He started yelling and using profanities, and told me that I was trespassing, and that he was calling the Sheriff’s Office. I told him I was leaving the documents on the chair outside of the door, he closed the door then let the dogs out.”

LMAO, this is going to be MESSY.

Boebert being a 36 year old divorced grandmother...is the fucking icing on the cake.

#13667 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:44 PM

In the filing, the [divorce paper] server described [him] as "drinking a tall glass of beer, and cleaning a gun [...]" when he was approached.

Lauren Boebert's Husband Refused to Take Divorce Documents (newsweek.com)

Just don't shoot the dogs (or is that don't just shoot the dogs)....

#13668 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:49 PM

I would put GOOD money down on her having F****** Gaetz. They look so chummy when they are at DC stuff together.

Also, you KNOW she's doing thins now because her Republican compatriots are currently trying to take away No-Fault divorce, so she would have been trapped...

#13669 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

The annoying thing is she'll still lean heavily into the "freedom loving fun toting true Christian patriot" schtick she's got and people will still fall for it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13670 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:38 PM

The people who fall for it would vote for a stuffed elephant if it wore a republican pin, carried an AR-15, and blamed everything on the dems, the gays, the trans, the illegals, and/or the jews. She's not converting anyone, she's just preaching to a captive audience.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13671 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:58 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 17 May 2023 - 05:44 PM, said:

In the filing, the [divorce paper] server described [him] as "drinking a tall glass of beer, and cleaning a gun [...]" when he was approached.

Lauren Boebert's Husband Refused to Take Divorce Documents (newsweek.com)

Just don't shoot the dogs (or is that don't just shoot the dogs)....

Boebert says it's all lies because he would never drink beer out of a glass... shit beer straight from the can (tin or toilet) only then?...

Boebert Insists Hubby Didn’t Throw a Fit Amid Divorce—or Drink Beer From a Glass (thedailybeast.com)

#13672 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:34 PM

Anderson Cooper on the Turmp Town Hall thing on CNN.

"You have every right to be outraged today and angry and never watch this network again but do you think staying in your silo and only listening to people you agree with is going to make that person go away?"

Holy shit, get absolutely fucked Anderson Cooper. Could he suckle at John Malone's teat for job security any harder?

You can't take the Vanderilt out of him I guess.

#13673 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:00 PM

Now that Tim Scott has announced he is running for president am I being too harsh on republican voters to ask the question could a black man really win a republican primary?

I frankly have never heard of him, so not sure how serious his candidacy is even meant to be but honestly that was my first thought.

#13674 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:11 PM

View PostCause, on 22 May 2023 - 05:00 PM, said:

Now that Tim Scott has announced he is running for president am I being too harsh on republican voters to ask the question could a black man really win a republican primary?

I frankly have never heard of him, so not sure how serious his candidacy is even meant to be but honestly that was my first thought.

And the other two who have officially announced their candidacies are both Indian-American---Vivek Ramaswamy and Nikki Haley.

The Presidential Hopeful Running as a Younger, More “Anti-Woke” Trump

[...] The flurry of publicity that greeted the handsome 29-year-old wunderkind subsided when that Alzheimer’s treatment ultimately failed and he stepped down as Axovant CEO in 2017. The sweeping boom and bust, as the pharma news site BioSpace noted at the time, made it seem unclear “whether the enthusiasm for these companies is based on real science or Ramaswamy’s charm.”

[...] While acknowledging his high-caste family background in Woke, Inc. (“Kings were below us”), he insists that only American capitalism can empower lower-caste workers who wish to escape oppression—never mind how many lower-caste populations continue to suffer in the capitalist economies run in both India and the U.S. Corporations that strive to make the most money they can without much oversight are best for everyone, he claims, no matter how many exploited workers or U.S. homeowners are hurt by the financial, environmental, and economic side effects of business as usual.

[...] Ultimately, it’s an insular political vision that homes in on the story and example of one Vivek Ramaswamy alone, without extending anything to people who were not born with the advantages Ramaswamy had (native-born citizenship, Brahmin castehood, ability to attend expensive private high schools and colleges, riches made by investor back-slapping over actual product output). In that sense, the Vivek Ramaswamy 2024 campaign slogan may be less about “America First” than about Ramaswamy First. Why else would he try to persuade GOP voters to try America First 2.0 when the first America First guy is still around?

Vivek Ramaswamy profile: He wants you to think he's Trump 2.0

Kanye has also announced his campaign but hasn't (according to a quick search) yet specified whether he'll seek the Republican nomination (though he is registered as a Republican).

Would be pretty funny if the debates were DeSantis and four people of color---two of them pretty charismatic. Or Trump may decide to enter the debates and crush DeSantis---I think he'd have an easy time. IDK how racist he'd be willing to be towards the POC---Ramaswamy at least would probably try to out-racist him first. (Maybe Cruella Braverman could tutor him?...)

#13675 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:23 PM

I'm going to laugh myself unconscious if a person of colour gets the nom and the party utterly fractures, but who are we kidding, they are likely opportunists - hoping (futilely) for a VP slot - being trotted out for the visual, more or less just to say 'look how progressive we are when we aren't actively trying to get children shot and trans-people sent to concentration camps and take away all women's rights' and it will come down to DeSantis or Trump, either of whom will be a far too successful dumpster fire.

America, I fear for your future, i really really do.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13676 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:42 PM

So Desantis has filed officially to run for president. No shock, No Suprise.

However this once again highlights how the rules on campaigning, campaign fundraising etc in the USA are utterly toothless. He has been shadow running for months. Rules in florida were changed to allow him to run without resigning as Governor. Rules were changed to make his travel a secret. Who paid for his book tour presidential campaign the last 6 months we will never know.

Dont know how we fix a problem of politicians essentailly being in charge of setting the rules that police themselves but this is ridiculous.

#13677 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

View PostCause, on 24 May 2023 - 07:42 PM, said:

However this once again highlights how the rules on campaigning, campaign fundraising etc in the USA are utterly toothless. He has been shadow running for months. Rules in florida were changed to allow him to run without resigning as Governor. Rules were changed to make his travel a secret. Who paid for his book tour presidential campaign the last 6 months we will never know.

Dont know how we fix a problem of politicians essentailly being in charge of setting the rules that police themselves but this is ridiculous.

(My bold)

that is just such a scummy movie, by any politician. If you are elected for an office and then decide to run for a new office before your current term expires, you really ought to be required, no ifs ands or butts, to step down from your current office.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#13678 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 24 May 2023 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 24 May 2023 - 07:42 PM, said:

(My bold)

that is just such a scummy movie, by any politician. If you are elected for an office and then decide to run for a new office before your current term expires, you really ought to be required, no ifs ands or butts, to step down from your current office.

... and Trump is claiming that DeSantis is helping Democrats steal the election by running, because he won't be able to devote his attention to stopping voter fraud Trump (truly delusional or not, or too post-truth to tell) can't stop carping about it.

DeSantis plotted to open his presidential campaign [...] with a pioneering social media gambit, introducing himself during an audio-only Twitter forum with Elon Musk. His 2024 effort began instead with a moment of silence. Then several more.

A voice cut in, then two — Mr. Musk’s? — only to disappear again.

“Now it’s quiet,” someone whispered. This was true.

“We got so many people here that we are kind of melting the servers,” [...] “which is a good sign.” This was not true.

Soon, all signs were bad. Hold music played for a spell. Some users were summarily booted from the platform[...]

“The servers are straining somewhat,” Mr. Musk said at one point, perhaps unaware that his mic was hot, at least briefly.

For 25 minutes, the only person unmistakably not talking (at least on a microphone) was Mr. DeSantis.

[...] “‘Rob,’” Mr. Trump posted on Truth Social, a standard troll-by-misspelling, [...] “My Red Button is bigger, better, stronger, and is working.”'

Awkward Silence: Ron DeSantis’s Bold Twitter Gambit That Flopped - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If the medium is the message, the message was a mess.

[...] DeSantis’s presidential announcement started with Twitter Spaces going down for 20-plus minutes that felt more like 20-plus years. It only improved moderately from there.

[...] Musk had billed a 6 p.m. ET start with the slogan “Preparing to Launch.” But the joke on Twitter soon became: “Failure to Launch.” Joe Biden even trolled DeSantis and Musk, tweeting “this link works” while linking to a Biden-Harris donation page.

Ron DeSantis, Elon Musk Twitter campaign announcement crashes, recovers. (slate.com)

Meanwhile in Washington:

'Banging her gavel, [Marjorie Taylor] Greene said, “The members are reminded to abide by the decorum of the House.” The chamber exploded into loud laughter, which continued unabated for more than 30 seconds. Greene continued to bang the gavel, repeating, “The House will be in order.”'

WATCH: House Members Laugh in MTG’s Face as She Calls for Decorum (thedailybeast.com)

#13679 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:27 PM

That bitch talking about Decorum when she yapped and booed and yelled during the SOTU speech? Or when she harassed a school shooting survivor? Or any of the other moments this woman took the opportunity to make a mockery of her position and the office she represents. She's a fucking howler monkey FFS.

She can rot in the depths of whatever evangelical Christian hell she believes in.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 May 2023 - 03:29 PM

#13680 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:07 PM

Ok Biden posting a link and saying "this link works" is very funny.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic