• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#501 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 May 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostJohn II, on 21 May 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 May 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's an original song and not a cover, if that's the question.

Just listened to it. Quite neat.
My main complaint is that your voice seems to be way too quiet. Due to that, I'm not sure on the next part, but it seems that you are singing through the breakdowns, which is a bit of a turnoff for me - kind of ruins the rhythmic effect. YMMV on this, though.

Definitely agree on the Sabaton album.

I'm only a stand in vocalist and can't really project well - mostly this demo is to show people what we sound like overall.

Additionally that song doesn't actually have any breakdowns. It's probably the only one of ours that doesn't. Whereas Song 1 (working title) has two. And Song 4 starts with one.

Okay, they aren't really breakdowns, I just call them breakdowns because they're sort of breakdowny.

#502 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

View PostJohn II, on 22 May 2019 - 07:42 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 May 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

View PostJohn II, on 21 May 2019 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 May 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's an original song and not a cover, if that's the question.

Just listened to it. Quite neat.
My main complaint is that your voice seems to be way too quiet. Due to that, I'm not sure on the next part, but it seems that you are singing through the breakdowns, which is a bit of a turnoff for me - kind of ruins the rhythmic effect. YMMV on this, though.

Definitely agree on the Sabaton album.

I'm only a stand in vocalist and can't really project well - mostly this demo is to show people what we sound like overall.

Additionally that song doesn't actually have any breakdowns. It's probably the only one of ours that doesn't. Whereas Song 1 (working title) has two. And Song 4 starts with one.

Okay, they aren't really breakdowns, I just call them breakdowns because they're sort of breakdowny.

That song has no sections that are sort of breakdowny. it is our sole song free of any form of breakdown. So again, I really don't know which section you're referring to.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#503 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

The riff at 1:30 sounds pretty breakdowny to me.
Again, my definition of breakdown is pretty broad. Like I consider 1:55 of Iron Maiden's (EDIT: so autocorrect will give me an apostrophe in a possessive "its", but not where it actually makes sense? Seems legit.) Aces High to be a breakdown of sorts.
Also, on that relisten, I get the impression that the drums are a little too busy.

This post has been edited by John II: 23 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

#504 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

View PostJohn II, on 23 May 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Again, my definition of breakdown is pretty broad. Like I consider 1:55 of Iron Maiden's (EDIT: so autocorrect will give me an apostrophe in a possessive "its", but not where it actually makes sense? Seems legit.) Aces High to be a breakdown of sorts.
Also, on that relisten, I get the impression that the drums are a little too busy.

I disagree inherently on the last part. As a prog background drummer (Dream Theater et al), I've already reined it in for this band, and any further and it'd just be Beatles-level boring.

A breakdown, really in this style, is a drop in the tempo, usually by a third or a half. So I'd assume you're meaning the refrain.

#505 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 May 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostJohn II, on 23 May 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

I disagree inherently on the last part. As a prog background drummer (Dream Theater et al), I've already reined it in for this band, and any further and it'd just be Beatles-level boring.

A breakdown, really in this style, is a drop in the tempo, usually by a third or a half. So I'd assume you're meaning the refrain.

Refrain/bridge makes sense, yeah. Either way, I'd think it would be more powerful if there were no vocals in it. Aces High is actually a good example of this (as well as being an amazing song)

I get what you mean regarding drums, but I still think they are a little busy. IANAD, but try simpler beats and using fills to break things up.

#506 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

I can't really add to the discussion above but seeing Maark mention DT drummer just reminded me how ace Mike Portnoy is. Really glad to have seen them live with him as the drummer on a few occasions.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#507 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 May 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

I can't really add to the discussion above but seeing Maark mention DT drummer just reminded me how ace Mike Portnoy is. Really glad to have seen them live with him as the drummer on a few occasions.

Agree, he is amazing. Love his comment on the LoG guitar thefts too (on second thoughts may not have been him, but that spoils the story).
That's not to downplay Mike Mangini, who is also amazing.

#508 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Simpler beats don't really work for our style - imagine Misery Signals with Lars drumming. Hard, hard pass.

The stuff I'm playing for Balgurra is extremely straightforward anyway, and mostly consisting of basic 4/4 with some mid-tempo double kick under it. The odd blast, but nothing polyrhythmic yet.

#509 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Simpler beats don't really work for our style - imagine Misery Signals with Lars drumming. Hard, hard pass.

The stuff I'm playing for Balgurra is extremely straightforward anyway, and mostly consisting of basic 4/4 with some mid-tempo double kick under it. The odd blast, but nothing polyrhythmic yet.

#510 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

Aw, and there I was hoping for some Tomas Haake inspired drumming.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#511 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostGorefest, on 23 May 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Aw, and there I was hoping for some Tomas Haake inspired drumming.

We've tried some poly stuff and it kind of works for us, ish, but the ish is too much for me to take a punt on it tbh.

#512 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

After a few more listens, I've changed my mind a bit on the drums. I still think they need some work (which makes sense, it's a demo), but the general business isn't actually as bad as I first thought. I think I got that impression based on a combination of somewhat poor production and drums not quite working with the guitars properly.
If you really want to take the internet man's word as gospel: a bit of tweaking on guitars and drums to make them work together better and better production will make this a much better song.

#513 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

Last Call ended final show with Deafheaven. Nice choice, that.

#514 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

I hope that the Korabas/Mod Rake reference filtered through in the lyrics.

#515 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Saw Katatonia on Saturday night. They were excellent, as always. Cellar Darling were one of the support acts - now you know why I went :lol:

#516 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

This lot, were the other support band on Saturday night. Thought they were brilliant. Major Tool vibes from some of their songs.

#517 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

New Cult of Luna song is impressive. Can't wait for their tour later in the year.

#518 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

Just got tickets to see Opeth at the London Palladium in October. It'll be the first time I've been to the Palladium since I went there with my folks to see Barnum in 1982. I know it was 1982 because I bought UFO's Mechanix album, which had just come out, while we wandering down Oxford Street to the theatre :lol:

#519 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

New Opeth

#520 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

New Tool CD has arrived! Limited edition. Bloody awesome. Built-in tablet which starts playing when you open the CD.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users