Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#61 Guest_Jhag_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 February 2003 - 06:46 PM

What does Hoods Realm look like? The impression I get so far is that its a Hades/Pluto type of place. Good and bad in the same place and no one wants to be there. Do I have good impressions?Posted Image

And in GotM there is made mention of a hell. Whats the hell? Hoods Realm, the Abyss? (Could have been a bad translation btw if you have no idea what Im talking abt, read the first two books translated)

-------------------------------
(to avoid this thread from becoming more messy I just gonna edit itPosted Image

The way I see it people that are connected to a god land in that gods realm. But not many people are that connected (priest, monks, nuns, Grey Swords etc)to a god so most go thru Hoods Gate.

And on a side note, Imass dont die they just get chopped up and left where they are chopped up. When Silverfox will release em of the Ritual they will go the warren she created/rewakened.

[This message was edited by Jhag on 23 February 2003 at 03:11 PM.]

#62 User is offline   ChrisW 

• Da'tsang
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:01 PM

I deleted a few messages. Remember we don't have exclusive rights to Erikson. You should all be happy that Erikson is answering Q&A's over at wotmanina as well. The more Erikson the better.

[This message was edited by Admin on 09 July 2003 at 06:10 PM.]

#63 User is offline   fortyseven 

• Fist

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:35 AM

Some new questions. If they've been answered previously please direct me to the answers.Thanks.

1) How do you come up with names for characters,continents,races,etc? I've read on this forum that Cotillion is a dance. Do you enter names you've come up with in search engines to see if there's any results? There's 2 names I've come across in reading. Caladan is the name of a planet and castle in Herbert's Dune, and Kalam is Arabic for discussion,specifically iirc qur'anic discussion.

2)Are you a fan of Guy Gavriel Kay? Were his novels an inspiration?

3) What's the Bonecasters about? Which characters are in it?

#64 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 06 April 2003 - 11:10 AM

didn't it say TOR was publishing?

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower:
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

#65 User is offline   Monok 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 July 2003 - 06:14 AM

I've just been re-reading DHG and noticed that the 7th army was refered to as one of the origional three Malazan armies. This is slightly confusing, wouldn't the first three be the 1st 2nd and 3rd armies? How many armies do the Malazans have knocking around now and where are they?

Is there going to be a House of Beasts appearing in the Deck?

--------------------------------
"Let he that hath understanding count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man, and his number is six hundred, three score and six."
-Revelation, Chapter 13, verse 18

[This message was edited by Monok on 26 July 2003 at 08:17 AM.]

#66 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 April 2003 - 09:01 AM

The witch that tryed to protect Baruk from Vorcan in GtoM was Tennes... (but yeah, i spose your right...)

Mr E.
You mentioned in GotM that the moon had powerful magic. Also, the Tiste Andii's "Moons Spawn" mountain, is clearly a very powerful magical object, and is implied by its name to be less powerful than the moon itself (?). Will this figure more later on in the series? Will the moon, and possibly its gods (maybe) be involved in the war against the Crippled God?
(This assumes many of my personal theories about this are correct, but they dont really matter Posted Image)

"Blessed by the peacemakers."
Hmm, and I thought it was "God bless Dubya"
Oh well...

[This message was edited by Caladan Desrin Brood on 07 April 2003 at 01:38 PM.]
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#67 Guest__*

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:20 AM

Yo, Mr E:

A few of us on another board have been trying to figure exactly how Karsa fared so well against the deragoth. We know he's rather tough, but still... Anyway, I was thinking that this might because two hounds of shadow are dead- thus due to connection or relation between them it slated two hounds of darkness for death, so to speak.

Close? Not even?

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

#68 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Atheilen:
We know that when it says 1139 in the prologue of HOC, it's a typo and is actually supposed to read 1159. That's when the Karsa story starts, but Onrack didn't seem to free Trull until after the story had gone forward in time. Is this a mistake, intentional, or am I just on crack?

most probably you're just on crack Posted Image
didn't you think about that it was inside a warren?

----------------------------------------
Hasta la victoria siempre!
Crown of the Deck of Dragons
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#69 Guest_Caldazar_*

Posted 06 April 2003 - 01:31 PM

One can hope it is Tor as they now how to make a book sell.

Question from me: Will you be correcting the mistakes you are now aware of for the US publication?

#70 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:11 PM

Another Question: I recently heard that it was your previous publisher that requested you take a pen name when you began writing fantasy. I assume this is because they thought that a fantasy image associated with your previous would damage sales. If this is so, how did this make you feel, and do you think that fantasy writers have some sort of pariah status amoung "real" authors?

Posted Image Posted Image
Just finished: Kushiel's Chosen - Jacqueline Carey 7/10

#71 Guest__*

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:33 AM

quote:
cant remember seeing this, but someone said there is a passage that says the Opponn are Baru and Nerruse...

Oponn said that

"Hear me Roar,"-The words of House Lannister, A Song of Ice and Fire

#72 User is offline   Lady Atheilen 

• Emerging from the Warrens
  • Interests:Bullshitting (aka grad school), writing, music, theatre, food
  • The forum's original obnoxious baby sister.

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:20 PM

It has been my one of my very greatest dreams in life to get complimented on my writing by my favourite author...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! *faints* You have made my day after a grueling math exam.
To answer your question...I am 14, and you have just given me another argument in my ongoing Let Lady A go to Victoria instead of Redneck University when she graduates campaign. (Redneck University is UNBC, btw) so THANK YOU AGAIN!
Okay, I will shut up about that now.
One question: In MOI, you seemed to imply that Kallor would become King of the HOC, but in the appendix of HOC, you listed him as Reaver. Could you clear this up for us? Thanks.
*floats in a cloud of euphoria.*

I am the blood of the dragon.

#73 Guest__*

Posted 30 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

Mr. Erikson,

Did you ever notice that Quick Bens initials spelt out BAD? And if so was it interntional?

Also will we ever find anything more about Pallick? The Hound of Shadow's pack's First Mate? Will it be in Toll the Hounds?

--------------------------------------------------
Masher of the Late HHT

"Grrrrrrr!!! Wash my cup and die evil doer."

#74 Guest_Tyris_*

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:42 AM

Mr.Erikson:

1)Was your first book ever rejected, before a publisher or agent accepted it, or did you succeed at getting it published your first try, and do you have any advice regarding aspiring writers in the way of finding publishers, rejection and such.

Also, I'd like to say that Kruppe has always been my favorite character, his dialogue is hilarious, and greatly entertaining.

#75 Guest_Reave the Just_*

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:47 AM

Mr E.

When you spent time in England, which historical/archaeological sites (if any) did you take a look at?

My personal faves are Maiden Castle (Dorset), Housesteads on Hadrian's wall and (a bit obvious this one) Stonehenge.

#76 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:25 AM

I really enjoyed midnight tides, an excellent addition to an awesome series. My question is a bit morbid so please don't take it the wrong way but

"what contingency plan have you put in place in the event of your untimely demise before you get round to finishing the series?"

I would hate to be left hanging. Posted Image

"Here's to beer! the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems" - Homer J Simpson
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#77 Guest_Adzrach_*

Posted 11 February 2003 - 08:59 PM

LOL none of my business but the whole sword thing is getting old. We all know it's not the length of the sword, it's how you use it! At least that is what I have always been told....wait a minute!....just what are they trying to say?!!

It's nice to hammer out the finer details like this but I really don't care how long the spikes are on the morning star or how many buckles there are on the leather greaves and whether or not the 14th century leather armour was in fact held in place but velcro!!!!!!! It's fantasy dernit!

Adzrach

#78 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:46 AM

Another question:
How do you feel when you finish writing a novel?

Posted Image Posted Image
Just finished: The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling 9/10

#79 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 30 January 2003 - 10:29 AM

Is there an estimated release date for the novella box set?

----------------------------------------------
Reaver of Persuers,
Survivors Guild

#80 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:30 AM

Trull mentioned that the Shorning had sorcerous consequences that delayed time for him, so i think he was there for quite some time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only the worthy get killed; my type always survives"
- King Frederick II

The Shadowlord, Knight of High House Dark

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users