Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:47 AM

Another question I think a lot of people have wondered about. How do the people in your world become Soletakens and D'ivers. Please to tell me that your parrents had a sexual intercourse (that's a nice enough name for it, isn't it?). That would make Tryllen (or was it Gryllen?) kind of gross...
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#102 Guest_Pearl_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:59 AM

As so many before on this thread iwould like to start by congratulating you Mr.Erikson on a wonderfull set of books and to say that i am greatly looking forward to the next installment, well done.

Just a little quick question, some of us where just wondering what exactly Mallick Rel is, in DHG it is said he is a 'Jhistal Priest', is that a religious order of some sort, thanks Posted Image

'The true measure of power lies in the
wisdom to wait for the propitious
moment to use it' Korlat
Magi of High House Shadow, Soletaken Super Bunny...Posted Image

#103 Guest_Rallick Nom_*

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:07 AM

I'd just like to thank Mr. Erikson for being gracious to answer our questions. Here is mine.

We've seen that the Malazan books aren't totally linear. Events in some books overlap each other, and we even get some events in HoC which occur before Gardens. In addition, the prologues all take place thousands of years before the main series. My question is, will we see an entire novel which takes place in the past, perhaps of the events that brought Kellanved together with all of the men and women who would create the Malazan Empire? Or a prelude from any other time?

Thank you in advance, and keep these books coming.

'"Simplifying matters." Oh wait til I tell him that one. Hey Rallick, you're not a man who kills people, you're a man who simplifies.'

#104 Guest_Kenryll\'ah_*

Posted 02 February 2003 - 06:15 AM

I know its not really a question about the content of the books, but i was just curious as to how large an audience your books have.
do you have any sales figures for the first four books, and if so, can you tell me?

oh and you mentioned in your last answer that a long knife would be thirty inches long. surely this is a mistake since that would, i think, be the normal length for a longsword.
perhaps thirteen inches, or thirty centimetres?
it just seems a little long for a knife...

oh and another question that was raised, i think, in the house of chains section of the forum (thread - 'demons?'). there were interesting opinions raised there (mine included), but since nothing definite was agreed, i'd like to ask you. where do demons come from?

thanks.

#105 Guest_Adelphi_*

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:04 AM

After reading midnight tides, I still cannot palce it temporally; does everything happen a lot of time before the rest of the books, or is it just some years before, and if so how can it be that there are still the Holds, and so on?

#106 Guest_Bottle_*

Posted 05 April 2003 - 02:45 AM

I have a question that has been bugging me for a long time. It is about lovable, veritably adroit Kruppe. In Gardens of the Moon, we are made aware of two things, that (a) Kruppe is a Mage (B) Kruppe dreams some kind of strange dreamworld. In Gardens of the Moon, though we are unaware of the Warren Kruppe uses, we know that (a) he has the power to move objects, ie:- the scene where food from the side stores flew into his hand (B) wipe memories from people's mind. Memories of Ice showed that he had the power to conjure illusion.

My question, I thought that the Warren Meanas has no actual physical power. However, Kruppe has psychokinetic abilites and mind swiping ability at the same time. Is he a mage who draws his power from:-

(a) Meanas
(B) Mockra
© The Warren currently occupied by Togg and Fanderay dreamt up by the Mhybe?
(d) Some other non-descript Warren?

#107 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 04 April 2003 - 12:09 PM

hmmmm...
A Question, Mr. Erikson:

When you say all gods are ascendants, does that mean litterally all? Even people like K'rul and Draconius? Hood?

thxPosted Image

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower:
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

#108 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:50 AM

Mr. Erikson

Will you be publishing Baruk's three interpretations of the Draconean tree in TBH now that it didn't make the cut for Midnight Tides?

I also keep wondering about Prince K'azz: when will we finally encounter him again? Will he appear in The Bonehunters?

Thanks in advance for the answers, and the books you've already given us. Posted Image

#109 User is offline   Monok 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 October 2003 - 08:57 AM

@Henson: I'm pretty sure they are. In relation to the three races I would say Eres are Australopithicus(sp?), Imass are Neanderthals and Humans are... Humans.

--------------------------------
Fire is life and life is fire. Fire is the war agaist the cold, the slayer of ice. Fire is our salvation.

Chain Unaligned

Arthritic Priest of the Hold of the Elders

#110 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 07 June 2003 - 05:32 AM

Just a couple of questions.
1) How long have you been planning this series.
2) (Dont be modest) If you read other, shall we say, less sophisticated novels, do you think what trash or I supose it has potential (in a very snide voice of course)
3) What is your favourite book?
4) Are all the Warrens accessable to humans desended from an Eldar Warren, like is Mockra desended from the warren of the Forkrul Assail or something.

------------------------------
Hardly surprising that Death has no taste. [Nerruse]

#111 User is offline   spiralx 

• Captain

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:51 AM

Yay for answers! And thank you ever so much for non-cryptic answers as well, unlike certain other authors who seem to delight in teasing their fans.

I'd say I was looking forward to Midnight Tides even more now, but to be honest I'm not... don't think I could look forward to it any more than I do, lol Posted Image

#112 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 25 June 2003 - 09:33 AM

a question Mr. Erikson:

Whats this we hear about you writing an SF novella? hm? Could you expand a bit on this? thanksPosted Image

------------------------------------------------------------
"I am moved by fancies that are curled
Around these images, and cling:
The notion of some infinitely gentle
Infinitely suffering thing."

T.S. Elliot - Preludes IV

#113 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 11 October 2003 - 01:16 PM

Couple of new questions:
1) How much influence does your editor have over you? When you say things like "I'm not allowed to reveal that" is there actually some kind of contract stopping you and is there anything he could really do if you let slip some secrets? (I don't want future books spoilt, understand, just interested)
2) How much time do you spend writing? Is it a impromtu thing, or do you try to stick to a timetable?
3) Do you read the other forums and have a good old chuckle at some of our crazy theories? Are you ever astounded at how much we delve into things that you know are insignificant?
4) The Nameless Ones - can you please give just a little snipet of information on them? Their mystery is driving me insane, all the info we get on them is spread throughout the books.

By the way, I though you might be interested in knowing that on a favourite seris vote thing (everyone gets to vote for five, first gets 5 points, second gets 4 etc.) at sffworld.com you're currently in second place behind Lord of the Rings. Very good considering it's a predominately American site.

Posted Image Posted Image

[This message was edited by Oponn on 18 October 2003 at 06:52 AM.]

[This message was edited by Oponn on 16 November 2003 at 02:33 AM.]

#114 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:42 AM

SE,

OK, first off, i want to congratulate you on Midnigh TidesPosted Image stunning book.

urm, i want to ask about the novellas, there seem to be an awful lot of them. this is all good, as they make great extras onto the malazan worldPosted Image unfortunately, they are all (if you put them together) very expensive, and i imagine will be in high demand. are there any plans to release them all in a cheaper format when the malazan series has finished, or something, because i think a lot of people would be much more likely to buy them like that, but if they have to order them all as the limited edition copies, they're unlikely to do so at all, because the majority of us probably can't afford them all, and i for one am really liking the sound of them allPosted Image Possibly in a collection of short stories, like authors such as Iain M. Banks or Peter F. Hamilton have done...

cheersPosted Image

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
I shall call you Squishy, and you shall be my squishy... OW! BAD SQUISHY!
If you come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#115 Guest_Maltaran_*

Posted 20 February 2003 - 05:41 AM

What happened to Gethol? In MoI he was recruited as Herald of High House Chains, but neither he nor the position are mentioned in the appendix of HoC.

#116 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:30 PM

I believe that "Jhistal" also refers to a holy war. This is perhaps why Kalam (either him or another soldier) recognized the threat he posed.

And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#117 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:30 PM

oh yeah, - Another q steve - is there anymore info on a release of a map of the world?

----------------------------------------------
Lost One,
Survivors Guild

#118 Guest__*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:07 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for writing the most inturiging books that I've ever read yet. Absolutely amazing.

One question. How did you come up with the Ideas of the Warrens, and ascending?

Can't wait for the next books.

CrazySmuk

Wide eyed, stupid

#119 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 August 2003 - 06:53 AM

ok I don't know if this was asked before, but what puzzles me now... ascension
can a member of the Founding Races ascend? I don't think we've seen an Ascended Imass or Jaghut. is this possible? or is Ascension younger than the Founding Races?

----------------------------------------
Mother Tongue speaks to Me
In the strongest way I've ever seen
I know that she sees in me
Her Proudest child, her purest breed
From an ancient throne I defy the world
To kneel before the Power within

Crown of the Deck of Dragons
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#120 Guest_Arakasi_*

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:53 PM

No for the long knife it clearly was stated as that. Crokus in his talking about how he wanted to change his style talked thought about it to himself. It is much longer than a knife.

All fled, all done, so lift me on the pyre. The feast is over, the lamps expire.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users