Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tenaka Khan 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:49 AM

MODGOD MESSAGE - Mar 2009

This thread collects various 'Q&A' threads and 'Question for SE' threads that have been around since several forumvolutions ago (more or less since 2004).

For a little while SE did in fact respond to questions, in person or via admins who drugged him were in communication with him, and those answers are here.

We have no idea whether SE, or ICE, do in fact still read this. If something here catches your eye and you want to discuss it further, cutpaste it into a new or existing thread in the proper forum.

- Abyss, your mod mod Modgod...

---------------------------------------------------

Mr. Erikson

First of all a big 'Thank you!' for creating this awesome series. Posted Image

I've got a question concerning the lifespans of the Tiste Edur. Could you give us a hint how old they get and also how old the main Edur characters (Rhulad, Trull, Fear, ...) are?
Hopefully this will also be cleared up by the upcoming encyclopedia (can't wait!).

Thanks,
Abeleyn

This post has been edited by Abyss: 26 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

#2 Guest_travellingbobo_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

Hi Steven,

I am a sociology masters from Auckland who enjoys your books. I am most intrigued to find someone who has written in a manner that I would call 'contested mythologies'. It seems to me that in the world that the Malazan Empire exists, the mythologies of the people become real and can exist in their own right aswell as be contested/affected by others who hold similar myths (or recessions). I was most excited when the different myths contest other myths. Most of all I was impressed by the effect of the different generations of myths and how they contest each other. But then - the decks! Well - I think Jung would be giggling in his grave!

My question is if you would ever consider to have an anarchist society (and I mean in the true sence - not the sense of 'chaos') as I would be very interested to see how they interact in this world!

LOVE your books. I got burnt out at University and activism and generally trying to save the world and your books have kept me alive!

Bobo

#3 Guest_Simcha Sabeen_*

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:58 AM

Dear Mr Erikson,
I'd like to go into further detail about the physiognomy of the distinct races in your works.
I would be very glad if you could elaborate on some of my assumptions.
Many of your descriptions correlate to physical features in the hominid line, i.e. Neanderthals and H. erectus. Especially features of the Tlan/T'lan lines, being described as heavy-boned and short.
If I remember correctly, the barghast are related (descend) to the Tlann, but are more "advanced" being taller and do not sport the robust facial features. This leads to interesting speculations about the nature of the Moranth, since they are kin to the Barghast.
How about the more distantly related species, the Four Founding Races:
1. The closest physically seem to be the lines of the Thelomen Toblakai (Teblor, Thelomen, Toblakai, Fenn?), being about 7 - 8 feet in height. Since they refer to humans as children, I assumed that their overall appearance is very much like a human's.
In this context I shall add the Trell, possibly being derived from the Thelomen. the are short(er) but broad-shouldered. The most striking features being large canines and a thick mane and a lot of body hair?
2. The Jaghut. and here it starts to get a little complicated. They are not human in their looks, although they have a humanoid frame. Skin colour is between grey and green, they have dark hair and large tusks (obviously only the lower canines are enlarged). So far there seems to be a strong resemblance to a typical off-the-shelf orc, and I would rather not encourage this view, since I am unutterably thankful for your creating an ORIGINAL world - without "borrowing" from Tolkien's menagerie.
I rather picture the Jaghut as something more feral and fiercer than human. Without being primitive! Large wellproportioned bodies, that resemble a human's albeit being a foot or two taller. And a face of fierce ferocity, bony protrusions and the like. How far away am I by now? Posted Image
3. Now for the most difficult to depict: Forkrul Assail. Blue gry skinned, extremely lean-framed beings with " all too many joints". In MT we witness what that means. Arms and legs that bend in ways, human arms and legs were never meant to do. The Assail have dark eyes and long hair. The typical grey alien comes to mind, and again I oppose. I am not sure how to view the Assail and I guess that is the way you wanted it. Beings so estranged from human perception, that imagining them leaves you at a loss. I think this adds nicely to the threat they obviously pose!
4. K'Chain Che Malle: I guess this one's easier... Dinosaurs with swords for hands. I like that image very much. Which makes me fear I'm wrong...
Now, what's all this, why am I writing anyway. I remember rumours about an almanac. An encyclopedia of MBoF-World. I would really like that! Is there anything to that rumour?

#4 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

The Draconean tree which was supposedly coming our way soonish in March this year would be nice yes...

#5 Guest_crimsonguard_*

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:14 PM

Dear SE:
I have only recently (September 03) started reading your books and they lasted me almost until the lastone came out but the wait now is unbearable Posted Image I have been buying in London and then shipping them to my brother in Greece and he calls me excited over one or the other point at 6:00 am invariably. (He was always thee smart one he is saving them and reads little by little waiting for bonehunters). I enjoy all the plotts and subplotts of course but our main debate / focal point is Anomander Rake vs Karsa orlong. I go for the latter and my (smarter) brother for the former. So finally my question: Am I right to think that in writting terms you have made them equal but different ot get the two poles. Am I right to think that KO is appealling to the democrats among us who like to see one of the people rising above his "gods" to become a godlike figure and AR to the royalists (who think that to be that important / powerfull you have to be of some special blood with so and so for parents and so and so for siblings)?

If so, am I right to think thatyou are one of us, the lib dems? (in social and not politial terms)

On a final (supremely stupid) note: how about seeing Karsa find a new bloodwood (not ironwood) sword and alternating between weapons and styles as an rpg character? Also how about him getting some minimum "aggressive magic" powers (if compatible with his blood) perhaps inherited from the next ascendant h kills (he-he)and -finally- leading his people...

Wow, I am really trnsgressing here...sorry.

A final (meek) comment, could yous ask the publishers to think about a greek translation (even if I have to do the translating for free lol)

Thnks Alex

#6 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:35 PM

I'll leave a message for Cadz and Rake asking them to get in touch with Erikson if they can. Posted Image
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#7 User is offline   fortyseven 

• Fist

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

Has anyone heard from SE about answering questions?

#8 User is offline   Temul 

• Recruit

Posted 28 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

Will Temul and his Wickans return, and will Rake ever meet up with Bloodeye and Silchas Ruin?

#9 User is offline   Hume 

• Banned Like a Mushroom
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

Firstly excellent job in creating such a good series.
A question I must ask, (if it can be answered). In the Tiste Edur Empire does the Letheri way of commerce or their econonmy still exist where the Letheri live ?
If so how much does it effect the Tiste Edurs Infrastructure in their Empire ?

What I am wondering is whether or not if Tehol's Plan in Midnight tides can still work.

#10 Guest_Bottle_*

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:00 PM

SE, are you planning to implement the Malazan series as an ebook anytime soon?

Most of us who owns a PDA nowadays can testify to the convenience of an e-book over a paper book. Those of us who switched over to e-books in fact have reduced our purchase and ownership of paper books quite markedly.

#11 User is offline   Monok 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:23 PM

Mr Erikson. Just wondering, there have been snatches of various languages in your books, odd words and even a small, one-sided conversation. Have you actually created whole new languages or do you just have a vague idea of what they should sound like?

#12 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 July 2004 - 06:21 AM

sorry for the unpatient question, but when will the Draconian Family Tree be released?
oh, and if answering, could you e-mail people like Anomander or someone else that is in charge and around here often?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#13 Guest_Decline_*

Posted 31 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

Oh damn. Must of missed that. Thanks alot though.

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Monok:
Mr Erikson. Just wondering, there have been snatches of various languages in your books, odd words and even a small, one-sided conversation. Have you actually created whole new languages or do you just have a vague idea of what they should sound like?

Thats something I was wondering too!
Mr Erikson,
I did wonder if you were going to produce a map-poster of your entire world? I ask, because I sometimes get confused as to where places are in relation to others, and a full map of the entire world would be most helpful.
Thank you for your wonderful creation,
Simeon
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:05 AM

SE,

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, and I apologise if it has, but are there any plans to release the books in audiobook format? I have a blind friend who really likes the sound of the series, but he's a bit old to get people to read him the books for a bed-time storyPosted Image and he was asking me the other day...

Cheers,
Rane Longfox.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#16 Guest_Tosso_*

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:58 AM

i dont have a question just a compliment.

your journey thru the desert of the seven citys to the last malazan city was so good that when coltain died i had to pink away a tear. it felt like my dog diyng Posted Image

keep up your writing. its the best i ever read in my live

#17 Guest_Bran Paran_*

Posted 01 November 2004 - 08:11 PM

I just want to make a statement more than a question. I will get the question out of the way. Do you see yourself as Duiker? The reason I ask is Coltaine states, "it is not the Empire's soldiers the Empress cannot afford to lose, it is its memory."

When I read that, I pictured Crowe, Blackfeet and all the other Native American tribes being destroyed by the white man. Then on to the Romans and all of the Celtic and Gaelic tribes they destroyed. Alexander also destroyed numerous peoples and so on and so forth. If you could have been there, you could have recorded the story instead of trying to resurrect it. Their unwritten stories alone would be best selling novels in their own right. Thinking of these things and your profession must be a huge influence on your writing. I'm sorry, I guess I just came to this realization. Sorry to go on, I know you are busy. Please elaborate on your influences and places/peoples you wish there was more info on if you have time. I love your books, but am very interested in how you relate them to our world.

#18 Guest_Decline_*

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:38 PM

Hey, just want to say I'm a huge fan of yours. The books are great, the best I've read in a while (ever, even). Lots of little hints dropped and an awsome (complex) plot and world and whatever, I'm sure you've heard all that plenty of times.

Just one question that I haven't seen yet...

In GotM, I was under the impression that Paran had pocketed the adjuncts otaratal sword. Did he pass it off to someone or something... to get back to his sister, or have I misread, or is her sword a totally different sword that what the last adunct had.

Thanks alot,
keep up the awsome writing

#19 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Decline:
Hey, just want to say I'm a huge fan of yours. The books are great, the best I've read in a while (ever, even). Lots of little hints dropped and an awsome (complex) plot and world and whatever, I'm sure you've heard all that plenty of times.

Just one question that I haven't seen yet...

In GotM, I was under the impression that Paran had pocketed the adjuncts otaratal sword. Did he pass it off to someone or something... to get back to his sister, or have I misread, or is her sword a totally different sword that what the last adunct had.

Thanks alot,
keep up the awsome writing

He answered this in a previous question period. According to SE, he forgot about the sword when writing Paran's character in MOI. However, it will apparently make a return in the future novels.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#20 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:46 PM

Do you ever feel that your own writing, contextually speaking, can be juvenile at times?
That is, the way you seemingly are unwilling to let characters go for example (the Bridgeburners, Duiker, etc). Furthermore, the melodrama and pathos that often make up characters' inner monologues give this impression upon a few occasions.
Thats not to say, I don't appreciate your works which are very much the staple of my reading diet, but it's just something that occasionally springs out to me.
Cheers, Rich.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users