Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#301 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

Yes, yes I will.

Now go get me a beer.

#302 User is offline   Darren 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hey guys, just dicovered this board and I'm a big fan.

Does Steve or Cam read this board at all?

#303 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:35 AM

I think the short answer is yes, but not as much as in the past.

Also there are a few people on this board who are good friends of Erikson at least, and possibly Cam too.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#304 User is offline   Darren 

• Recruit

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Well I've lost touched with him after he left Saltspring, but every year or so I kept going into the bookstores asking for a book written my "Steve Lundin". It wasn't until my friend Kris (who also gamed with him) told me he got his book published as "Steve Erickson". I was so happy for him to get his book published. I read Gardens of the Moon years before it was published, and I was very excited to see it in the stores exactly how he originally wrote it.

#305 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:29 AM

Serioulsy, exactly as he first wrote it? Thats class... God, Id love to meet the man and shake his hand, I personally think hes the greatest contempory writer of fantasy, and easily has a crack at being the greatest ever, but I live in Ireland, so no chance of that... Sucks lol.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#306 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

Check the acknowledgements of Reaper's Gale. We scare him. :)

Although I was a little put out to discover the website wasn't on the back cover of RG like it was for The Bonehunters. :p

Cheers,

La Sombra, will have his people contact the publishers' people. They'll do lunch.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#307 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

I think the important point is that there's not a big chance of getting in contact with him through this forum. The chance of him stumbling on to this thread is probably slim.

#308 User is offline   inglishmagor 

• Recruit

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

I live in Victoria and have a question on private life. I was shopping one day and happen to see SE in the same store. I thought it would be creepy to go up and thank him for writing a great series that has given me hours of entertainment. My question is, would it be an honour to have someone recognize you in public, or would you prefer your annonimity?

#309 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

inglishmagor;206950 said:

I live in Victoria and have a question on private life. I was shopping one day and happen to see SE in the same store. I thought it would be creepy to go up and thank him for writing a great series that has given me hours of entertainment. My question is, would it be an honour to have someone recognize you in public, or would you prefer your annonimity?

He doesn't answer questions posed in this thread. Sorry. You should ask him the next time you see him.

#310 User is offline   Danforth 

• Captain

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

Sorry I spotted this thread a little late but Darren if your still around I would love to know a little more on how you knew Steve, was it tabletop rp you were reffering to when you mentioned gaming? What was it like to game with him? Was Cam in your group too?

Thanks

#311 User is offline   Darren 

• Recruit

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

Yes it was me, Cam, Steve, Kris, Gord, and Hans. We played D&D and GURPs, and even played a few game session that were not part of their world. Cam sometimes DMed, and so did Steve. It was very unique and deffintly changed the way I game today. Steve helped me create my own gaming world and even drew the maps of them by hand.

#312 User is offline   ledhead73 

• Recruit

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

i agree with lisheo. i read tons of fantasy books and the only books that even come close to being as amazing as steven eriksons i think are the sovereign stone trilogy. but anyways, I'm halfway through memories of ice and have read the rest of the series before that and midnight tides. the writing is so amazing and epic, even moreso as the series goes on, that every book has given me goosebumps at some point or another. especially now in memories of ice during the siege of capustan. just epic.

:D i'd like to thank steven for writing these books.

#313 User is offline   Captain Morgan 

• Recruit

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

LOL when I was in the field which was often enough we used spiders, by the third day we had championship brackets set up outside the DFAC. Tonight 2200 hrs Round One Cyclone and The Destroyer. When you're in the field for a month at a time. You find stuff to do.

#314 User is offline   Anotherminer 

• Recruit

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Met Steve as he rented at the Blockbuster I worked at and recognized his real name and asked how the next book was coming. He was working on it across the street at the coffee shop actually and it was doing real well. He then stopped by later and gave me a signed copy of RG. Very cool. However he also admitted to not visiting here too often. And seemed happy that I didn't come across as raving fanboy, just as a fellow alum who appreciated his success.

#315 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

Anotherminer;236592 said:

Met Steve as he rented at the Blockbuster I worked at and recognized his real name and asked how the next book was coming. He was working on it across the street at the coffee shop actually and it was doing real well. He then stopped by later and gave me a signed copy of RG. Very cool. However he also admitted to not visiting here too often. And seemed happy that I didn't come across as raving fanboy, just as a fellow alum who appreciated his success.

That is such a cool story. B) Nice of SE to give you a signed copy
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#316 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

He's a nice guy as well as a great writer, yay :p
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#317 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Kind of makes you wonder if SE runs into a lot of raving fanboys,
and if he would rather they were raving fangirls. :D

Couldn't help myself. :)
Hangs head in shame...
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#318 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

I doubt SE meets alot of fans where he lives... in a few interviews I read he mentions that he isn't that famous at all in Canada, and he regrets that alot. Also, the coffeeshop he usually is writing in is filled with students, but they obviously don't know them... cause if they did, they would just hand over the good table (with the laptop feed nearby) to SE and not keep it for themselves to watch foto albums :D
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#319 User is offline   Whiskeyjack 

• Corporal

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Very interesting to know that SE not only reads these boards on occasions, but that there are personal friends of his here too. Nice stories:)

Mcflury;239867 said:

I doubt SE meets alot of fans where he lives... in a few interviews I read he mentions that he isn't that famous at all in Canada, and he regrets that alot.

Aye, how ignorant most people are:rolleyes:

#320 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

If people continue to evolve in the direction of wanting moral ambiguity in books then the Malazan book of the fallen will be a classic in the years and decades to come. It's too good not to be really.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users