Malazan Empire: The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Collected Steven Erikson Questions & Answers thread see note in first post for explanation Rate Topic: -----

#261 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

Why not making 2 different threads: on with the questions, and one with the answers?
It will make it easier :D
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#262 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

is there any other way of getting in contact with Mr Erikson?

We have a club dedicated to his books on deviantart.com which it would be really cool if he checked out..we try to gather Malazan art and poetry/prose:

http://malazan-art-g...deviantart.com/
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#263 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

I'd recommend PMing Hetan, the admin here:)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#264 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

@Grimhilde: I will include a link to your Guild in my next email to SE (next week sometime), but please don't feel slighted if he doesn't respond openly ... Cheers ;)

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

I'm going to see if we can get some answers from SE, but don't want to stop him writing TtH... so please post some short, sensible questions here.
I'll then collate them and email SE... we might even get an answer :)

#266 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Hetan. I guess I have a question if I may be so bold. Forgive me if it's been asked elsewhere.

Dear Mr Erikson,
How, if at all, has ICE getting his publishing deal affected the process of writing for you? Even though the two of you developed the Malazan world together, up until now, your novels have primary way to introduce the world to your fans. Does it feel different while you are writing to know that there will be more than just your interpretation reaching the Malazan audience? Finally, are there any worries about keeping the story straight between the two of you? After all, as Tolkien said, "The tale grew in the telling."

#267 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hmm, now that I actually have the chance to ask questions it's hard to make them up :)

I guess we could take some of the questions from the Book Q&A... and change them:

1 Any comments on the Eres'al critic. She's been described as the Deus Ex Machina of the MBotF. Was this your intention or are there hidden facets or limitations to the Eres you haven't shown us yet.

2 Any comments on the general inconsistency's between the power levels of characters and creatures. The point being that SE in one book describes creatures to be powerful enough to scare ascendants or crush cities and civilisations and in the next moment is wiped out by seemingly easy pray for such a creature.

I'm sure that SE doesn't want to answering more simple questions that could spoil the next books.

#268 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:39 PM

What really happened at Pale? Tattersail and Tayschrenn both have differing accounts of what went on, with people dying at different times to suit each story. Was Tattersail confused? Was Tays lying? Or was it just an accident of the otataral sword kind?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#269 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

3 Whats the connection between the Jheck in Midnight Tides and the Jheck we hear of in the Bauchelin and Korbald Broach stories?

4 Will our two favorite Necromancers pop up again in the storie? Last we heard of them, Quick Ben had informed them of The Chained One. They don't seem to be the types to hold a grudge, but will they play a bigger role in the future?

5 On the topic of Necromancers, there seems to still be spies from the Mott Irregulars in the 14th. Does this imply that they will also play a further role in the story? Even if it is only in regards to Darujistan, The Seguleh and the mysterious Tyrant.

6 When will we meet this Big Bad Bole Sister :)

Edit:

7 How tall are the Teblor and more specifically Karsa?

I know that several references of Karsa's stature can be found in the book's but since the evidence and eye-witness accounts is often missleading, it would be nice to have it confirmed by the author. Is he half as tall again as a human or is it more? The start of HoC makes one wonder if Teblor isn't at least twice the hight of a human being.

#270 Guest_fiddlers fingers_*

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

1 Mr SE, do you have any favourate athur's that have influenced your own work?

2 Do the fly's that cover Heboric when we frist meet him,have any relation to the dead fly's that are found when he died? Did Hood know of his death before it happened? If so, does Hood have the power to see anyone's death before it happened?

3 Why has Prince K'ass D'Arore been left out of the novels so far? Will his story come out in the later novels?

4 Mr SE, Do you plan to write more books of the fallen after these ten? or will you create a new universe?:)

#271 Guest_Saint Chains_*

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:46 AM

Do you ever visit this board (malazanempire.com/forums)?

If so, do you ever makes posts under another name?

#272 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Saint Chains;107351 said:

Do you ever visit this board (malazanempire.com/forums)?

If so, do you ever makes posts under another name?

Do you really think that God would reveal his true nature while walking among his humble subjects :)

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

questions only in this thread please no :)

#274 User is offline   Rat Mentor 

• Captain

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

This is not directly a question in regard to the malazan books, but are you a Neil Young fan as a name of a certain God makes me think you are.

#275 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

From rereading the parts in TBH and MOI about the Seguleh, there's a small error - the Seventh Seguleh, who was killed by Rake, was said to have seven stripes on his mask, which would make him the Eighth according to their ranking system. So, was it a six striped mask, or is Rake now technically the Eighth?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#276 User is offline   Ivan the terrible 

• High Fist

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

This is not a question in which i want you to reveal the ending or anything like that, but in your books you seem to depict a series of opposites embodied by characters or creatures and motifs etc, etc,, diverging philosophical themes. e.g Karsa civilisation/barbaric is this an attempt to declare a Heraclitian universality of opposites, or an attempt to show that humanity tend to gravitate towards extremes. Holding to a certain ambiguity all view points seem equally valid avoiding distinctions of good or evil, something most of your readers find refreashing. The question i ask is will this theme continue? Or will you finish the conflict with a victor propelled by his philosophy. Showing that in the Malazan universe things are decided on a might is right basis, or will you keep to a vague and ambivalent, ultimatly more satisfactory ending?

#277 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

1. Is the 'Ardata' we hear about when Cotillion encounters Mogora in The Bonehunters the same being as the 'Ardatha' that Kallor mentions in the prologue of Memories of Ice?

2. Which of the many deaths in the series so far was the hardest for you to write in terms of emotional attachment to the character in question?

3. Have you ever reread what you have written so far from beginning to end? If so, how many times/how often?

4. If you had the power to change one thing that you have written in this series (be it character, plot device, setting...anything really), with hindsight, what would you do?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#278 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

1, whats the funniest thing anyone has asked you at a book signing?

2, is writing now still as much fun as when you started out? or do you find writers block more common as the series develops?

#279 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Why/How did so many sentient races evolve on one 'planet' at the same time? Was that because of the intervention of the 'elemental forces'?

If gods are much more powerfull than ascendants, why is Hood afraid when Rake threatens to assault his warren?

Would you ever open the Malazan license up, for someone, or a group of people to write books, of other time periods you are not going to cover, such as the War between short/long tails, or Journies of Rake, Envy, and Brood?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#280 User is offline   zeeny 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:23 AM

Would you ever open the Malazan license up, for someone, or a group of people to write books, of other time periods you are not going to cover, such as the War between short/long tails, or Journies of Rake, Envy, and Brood?

I adore that question. I'd change it, if possible. I don't know how is the Malazan universe licenced(and if your publisher actually retains any rights on it from you), but would you & ICE consider releasing it* under a Creative Commons licence or similar that would give people the freedom to use elements of it not restricted to books(even for commercial use)?
Actually, if we have the right to go there, what is your view on current copyright laws?(appicable to book publishing, of course)

*it being concepts and universe, not actual books.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users