Malazan Empire: D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!] - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!]

#81 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

An interesting notion, Gorefest, but I don't think that's what's at play here. SE has commented on other world maps before, as well as has encouraged the various fan encyclopedias. All of them are extending his established copyrighted work in similar ways. Those encyclopedias and Werthead's websites have ads, so they could even be argued as being partially commercial whereas this map is entirely non-commercial. So it would be a bit odd for only this one project to be considered violation of the copyright and no other.

That being said, SE's lawyers are free to contact me with a cease & desist if they want to.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#82 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

In that case, maybe yours is actually too close for comfort and the other maps weren't considered a copyrightable threat by SE :(
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#83 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have added your map to the Wiki, D'rek :)

When you are making changes to it, let me know and I'll update the upload.

Look forward to the full-colour, all singing and dancing end version!!!

#84 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Those encyclopedias and Werthead's websites have ads

If it does, it's news to me :(
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#85 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Werthead, on 15 January 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Those encyclopedias and Werthead's websites have ads

If it does, it's news to me :(

You're right, I was being a silly goose

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#86 User is offline   Tiam is an Imploding Unit 

• Recruit

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

Really good work D'rek, enjoying seeing it as it fills out.

D, on 05 November 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

korik, on 03 November 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

[*]Shrunk Umryg, I know we got little desciption but I never got the feeling it was much bigger than an island

It has "vast caverns", "inland mountain peaks" and enough of a population that they had a big enough military to contend with an entire Company of the Crimson Guard being hired by Timmel's sister seeking to usurp the throne.

Plus I stuck it way up north because I was planning to cover a lot of the northern island with ice (coming down from the mountains), which would reduce the liveable land amount (and align well with the Umrygian Jaghut lineage).

I don't remember this description; what book do we get this from?

D, on 11 November 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Imperial Historian, on 11 November 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

For those who missed it Steve couldn't open any of the 9 links!

I'm skeptical of his answer in this... how could he possibly have a web browser that is capable of loading and posting on the Tor website (including dynamic text boxes, ads and captchas) but this browser is incapable of displaying a .png or .jpg? And supposedly this is on his new Mac laptop...? That new computer should have Safari installed by default which should have no problems displaying a simple .png via URL. Heck, even Netscape Navigator can do that without issue.

If he has some reason he just doesn't want to answer about it would be fine, I guess, but he could at least say so. I don't know what to think now... maybe this whole thing was sort of a waste of time after all.

I couldn't open any of the links until I signed in; the forum kept saying I hadn't permission to view the files. It was annoying as hell, kept happening with all of the links on this site. There's still the possibility he wasn't being genuine though. *Shrug

#87 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

Reading Assail now. Some thoughts on what it means for the map:

Assail is two weeks' sail east of Korel/Stratem. Kyle jokes that the Bloodmare Ocean should even be called a strait. So I think Assail can be brought in closer. Also at one point it's said that Assail is due south (more or less) of Genabackis, and if you sail south of Genabackis you end up on the Wrecker's Coast (on the north-eastern coast of Assail). Also, sailing due east from Kevil in Mare lands you on the western coast of Assail in Silent Tribe territory (maybe west of Lake Blessing?), so Assail may be oriented a little further north, with the north coast of Assail at a significantly more northerly latitude than the north coast of Korel. Since the Genabackans seem to just need to sail south of the Galatan Sweep for a few weeks to reach the Wrecker's Coast, again it seems a relatively narrow crossing.

Assail is described as an 'enormous continent' at one point, and its lands are varyingly described as vast. It takes days to sail across the inland Sea of Dread and weeks for Kyle to travel north across the plains. Based on all of that, I think the size is fine.

It's a bit contradictary because Korel is described as a small continent (I do think it's too big on the map and we can really do a literal reading of the Stonewielder map to gauge its size), but the book gives us a clue on how to resolve that: Korel is quite small but Stratem to the south is bigger. We've previously thought of the two as mutual subcontinents, but it might be better to think of the situation as that Korel is a subcontinent of Stratem. The Crimson Guard say that Stratem's interior is vast, so a big Stratem (on either side of the Sea of Chimes) and a smaller Korel with both continents combined coming up to Assail's size would seem to work.

New locations: the Cape of the Stone Army on the eastern coast of the Sea of Chimes is mentioned. There's also the island of the Pillars, off the south-western tip of Assail/Bael.

Also, Bael appears to be on the map: the Sons of the Wind are a Bael tribe (Kyle's home tribe, in fact), so Bael seems to be divided from Assail proper by the Black Stone Mountains, Black River and the Black Sea. Everything south of that is Bael. Also, I get the impression there is not much more to the continent to the south. There is mention of the continent tapering to a single horn or cape and that's it.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 23 February 2015 - 11:51 PM

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#88 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

Tiam is an Imploding Unit, on 23 February 2015 - 12:18 AM, said:

Really good work D'rek, enjoying seeing it as it fills out.

D, on 05 November 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

korik, on 03 November 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

[*]Shrunk Umryg, I know we got little desciption but I never got the feeling it was much bigger than an island

It has "vast caverns", "inland mountain peaks" and enough of a population that they had a big enough military to contend with an entire Company of the Crimson Guard being hired by Timmel's sister seeking to usurp the throne.

Plus I stuck it way up north because I was planning to cover a lot of the northern island with ice (coming down from the mountains), which would reduce the liveable land amount (and align well with the Umrygian Jaghut lineage).

I don't remember this description; what book do we get this from?

It's from Return of the Crimson Guard, chapter 3.

#89 User is offline   Tiam is an Imploding Unit 

• Recruit

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

Werthead, on 23 February 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

It's a bit contradictary because Korel is described as a small continent (I do think it's too big on the map and we can really do a literal reading of the Stonewielder map to gauge its size), but the book gives us a clue on how to resolve that: Korel is quite small but Stratem to the south is bigger. We've previously thought of the two as mutual subcontinents, but it might be better to think of the situation as that Korel is a subcontinent of Stratem. The Crimson Guard say that Stratem's interior is vast, so a big Stratem (on either side of the Sea of Chimes) and a smaller Korel with both continents combined coming up to Assail's size would seem to work.

I agree, it looks like Korel is too large on the map. If you compare the size of Malaz island on the Quon map and Malaz island on the Korel map (both can be seen on this page http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malaz_Island ), Korel's damn tiny next to Quon Tali.

With Korel smaller, that means that Assail has to be moved closer west (due to it being only 2 weeks from Mare) and with it (if necessary though it probably won't be), Genabackis, since the NE coast of Assail is roughly south of GB. So these continents are more condensed, and, to me at least, makes a bit more sense of why Lether was so isolated from the rest of the world.

D, on 24 February 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:

It's from Return of the Crimson Guard, chapter 3.

Cheers.

This post has been edited by Tiam is an Imploding Unit: 24 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

#90 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

It's clear there's been a huge rethink/retcon about Lether's isolationism. Everyone and their aunt seems to know about Lether and has done for a few books now, in stark contrast to DHG when people were utterly baffled by maps showing its rough location.

That's even more true of Assail, with people knowing of it only as a place of dread to a knowledge of a single geographic feature (Wrecker's Coast) to suddenly detailed knowledge of the Bone Peninsular and cities on it to people coming from Assail and travelling all over the world. It's all a bit inconsistent.

#91 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

Two incidents of Genabackis being called "Nearby" or "That nearby continent", so I think we can definitely move Assail a lot closer. That also nicely closes off the Reacher's Ocean to the east (and explains how it's the Reacher's Ocean on the west coast of Assail rather than the Bloodmare, which should be more on the south-west coast).

#92 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

I am sure I am speaking for many on the forum - can't wait to see the revised maps!!! :veryangry:

#93 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

Werthead, on 24 February 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

It's clear there's been a huge rethink/retcon about Lether's isolationism. Everyone and their aunt seems to know about Lether and has done for a few books now, in stark contrast to DHG when people were utterly baffled by maps showing its rough location.

It's a tricky one, that, as that could also be related to the ice melting and such. Don't forget that at the time of DHG the Edur have started sailing around to find champions to take on Rhulad, so I assume that would make their notoriety and the knowledge of the continent spread pretty fast. Assail takes place a year or so (??) after events in tCG, so by then geographical knowledge has moved on considerably from the DHG days.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#94 User is offline   BlackViper 

• Recruit

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Great, you could include this version of map and finish it. :veryangry:

#95 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

Bit of an oddity: Assail is referred to frequently in the novel as a "northern land" and at several points what appear to be the northern lights are referenced. But Assail is inarguably south of Genabackis, west of Lether and east of Quon Tali/Korel, which makes it equatorial at best. Very strange.

From Return of the Crimson Guard, regarding Stratem: The continent is located south of the Aurgatt Range and the attending ice fields (on the southern edge of the map in Stonewielder. The Sea of Chimes is noted as an inland sea separated from the eastern ocean by the straits at Thick (so it should be more enclosed on the map). Of the Crimson Guard redoubts, Exile is located on the far east coast, Thick on the straits, Iron Citadel over sands to the south-west of the Sea of Chimes (on the south coast of Stratem?), North Bastion to the far west, on the White Spires Ocean, and Pine Fort in the north-west near the Aurgatt Range (Ereko and Traveller camp in its ruins). The Malazans attacked Stratem (the foray mentioned in GotM, I assume) by simultaneously landing armies on the east, south and west coasts. Fortress Haven is located on the northern coast of the Sea of Chimes (the western coast is uninhabited). West of the Sea of Chimes is league after league of boreal forest stretching to the west coast. Twelve days south of the Aurgatt Range on the west coast of Stratem is the village of Canton's Landing.

Something interesting is that the vast plaza of the K'Chain Che'Malle mentioned in MoI as being part of Stratem is not mentioned at all by ICE. I stuck it on the south coast of the Sea of Chimes, although part of me wonders if the plaza and the Cape of the Stone Army might, somehow, be the same thing.

Something like the following:

Attached File  Stratem labelled.png (129.02K)
Number of downloads: 9

This post has been edited by Werthead: 03 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

#96 User is offline   Tiam is an Imploding Unit 

• Recruit

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Yes it's strange. I suppose when "northern land" is used it could refer to the northern part of Assail where the plot converges, but it doesn't really read that way.

The lights are a real oddity. It might be an unnatural phenomena connected to the Jaghut or FA, but again, that's a stretch.

Both could be chalked up to ICE messing up though. Not to be an arse but that seems the more likely.

#97 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:47 AM

You're just holding your book upside-down.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#98 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

Tiam is an Imploding Unit, on 03 March 2015 - 12:07 AM, said:

Yes it's strange. I suppose when "northern land" is used it could refer to the northern part of Assail where the plot converges, but it doesn't really read that way.

The lights are a real oddity. It might be an unnatural phenomena connected to the Jaghut or FA, but again, that's a stretch.

Both could be chalked up to ICE messing up though. Not to be an arse but that seems the more likely.
As everyone knows, the Aurora Assailialis are caused by charged particles of ICE causing inconsistencies in the plotosphere of Wu.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#99 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

I've deployed some of the Malazan maps on my Atlas of Ice and Fire blog. I'd done quite a few fantasy maps and it was Malazan's turn, finally.

#100 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

D'rek/Werthead,

I love this Stratem map. Would you mind if I added it to the Wiki? With a credit of "Created by D'rek, modified by Werthead", or something similar?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users