Malazan Empire: D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!] - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!]

#121 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

View PostMTS, on 14 December 2016 - 11:10 PM, said:

Umryg in the far north of the world has a connection with the Jaghut, and Envy mentions that the Pannion Domin was originally a Genostelian colony (also in the far north), perhaps founded from refugees fleeing T'lan Imass persecution (thus the whole story with Pannion).

Dont have access to the books atm though, so I cant confirm that.

All of that is correct except that the books don't explicitly say Umryg is in the far north. I just put it there :p

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#122 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

Precognition!

With great power comes great responsibility.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#123 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:17 AM

View PostD, on 14 December 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

Umryg in the far north of the world has a connection with the Jaghut, and Envy mentions that the Pannion Domin was originally a Genostelian colony (also in the far north), perhaps founded from refugees fleeing T'lan Imass persecution (thus the whole story with Pannion).

All of that is correct except that the books don't explicitly say Umryg is in the far north. I just put it there :p

Haha fair enough. The placement makes sense in terms of relative location, due to revelations from Assail. It could conceivably be in the south as well, southeast of Bael and east of Stratem somewhere, which could account for how Timmel's sister managed to come into contact and hire some CG Avowed. They could have just as easily have gotten the contract in Genabackis though. Do we have any knowledge of the Third Company's whereabouts during the Diaspora? I can't remember anything off the top of my head.

This post has been edited by MTS: 15 December 2016 - 02:19 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#124 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostMTS, on 15 December 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

View PostD, on 14 December 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

Haha fair enough. The placement makes sense in terms of relative location, due to revelations from Assail. It could conceivably be in the south as well, southeast of Bael and east of Stratem somewhere, which could account for how Timmel's sister managed to come into contact and hire some CG Avowed. They could have just as easily have gotten the contract in Genabackis though. Do we have any knowledge of the Third Company's whereabouts during the Diaspora? I can't remember anything off the top of my head.

No. Other than the Umryg chapter and one short mention of them arriving to Stratem at the end of the Diaspora in RotCG, there is no mention of the Third Company at all. The Primogenetrix' thoughts in the Umryg chapter imply that the initial war with her sister where the Third Company was hired was quite some time ago, so far all we know the Umryg contract was the first and only contract taken by the 3rd Company... but it's also possible they went somewhere else first before going to Umryg. The 2nd Company moved around a fair bit, so this isn't really helpful.

The Umrygians also showed up in Assail, but I don't recall whether there was any specific geographic information about their homeland ever given in there or not.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#125 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostD, on 11 November 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 11 November 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

You're never going to get a straight answer out of Steve about this map are you? One of the things I was most looking forward to in the Q&A but no joy...

For those who missed it Steve couldn't open any of the 9 links!

I'm skeptical of his answer in this... how could he possibly have a web browser that is capable of loading and posting on the Tor website (including dynamic text boxes, ads and captchas) but this browser is incapable of displaying a .png or .jpg? And supposedly this is on his new Mac laptop...? That new computer should have Safari installed by default which should have no problems displaying a simple .png via URL. Heck, even Netscape Navigator can do that without issue.

If he has some reason he just doesn't want to answer about it would be fine, I guess, but he could at least say so. I don't know what to think now... maybe this whole thing was sort of a waste of time after all.

As I recently discovered with my Warrens map you apparently need to be logged in to this website to see pictures uploaded directly here, presumably this saves a ton on bandwidth. I posted a link to where I had hosted the map on imgur to get around this problem.
I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#126 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Captain

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Anyone interested in Malazan maps might want to check out the bottom of the Dutch translation page on the wiki.

http://malazan.wikia...n_Dutch/English

BenRJDictus has been posting the maps from the Dutch editions and they appear to be completely redrawn. They're a bit low-res, but intriguing. The artist knew enough to add a butterfly as decoration for the Vathar Forest so they're not just robotic recreations.

#127 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

The old globe link got broken, so here's a new one.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#128 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thoughts from Deadhouse Landing:

Malazan Isle is said to be cold, at least from the POV of Quon Tali mainlanders. I'm starting to wonder if we should consider moving pretty much the entire map southwards a bit. Move Quon Tali entirely into the southern hemisphere and bring Seven Cities further away from the north pole. With the lack of crazy magical shenanigans in Seven Cities (apart from the Otataral Desert) I can't really account for how warm 7C is if it's that far north.

The only problem is that this moves the equator further north in Genabackis, which really doesn't feel right either.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#129 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

Nah, the cold is from the Stormriders. It is artificial, not due to geographical location.

Also, I don't think we can naturally assume that because something is considered a 'pole' it automatically is frozen. This isn't Earth. The only reason why Earth's poles are frozen is because of its orientation towards the Sun.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 13 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#130 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

Reasonable points.

Another interesting moment: Kallor's ship sails up the coast of Genabackis from south of Elingarth to quite close to Seguleh Island. Malaz Island is apparently due west from there. That takes me back to Steven's old comment that we should have sized up Genabackis a little, which I don't think anyone ever did. Interesting.

#131 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

I think we did size up Genebackis a little. But Seguleh Island due east of Malaz Isle means it needs to be sized up a LOT... or moved southwards... or both.

#132 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

I'm tempted to drop the map on Erikson's new Facebook page, but we need to wait for an appropriate topic. Bit rude to drop it in during a discussion about his essays or whatever.

#133 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

Vindication!

Another issue that also generates interest in readers is the lack of an official complete map of the world. Will we see a complete map some day? How reliable are the maps made by the fans?

S. ERIKSON: Do you know why there is not a map of the world? For a long time, the hand-drawn version was too large to be photocopied in a reasonable way. I have it at home, along with all the other maps. That said, the versions created by the fans are pretty close, so congratulations to them!

(with a picture of D'rek's map next to it!)

#134 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaay

#135 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:25 PM

I've spent the last few months putting together a Malazan atlas over at the second blog, using the maps created so far. Looks decent, but it'd be nice to step it up a bit and get some more info from SE on some of these things.

#136 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

These arseholes have stolen D'rek's map design from the forum, refused to give credit for it and when I raised it with them, they deleted the comment and blocked me. If you see this cropping up on Facebook and Twitter, please report for copyright violation.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 26 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

#137 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

View PostWerthead, on 26 July 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

These arseholes have stolen D'rek's map design from the forum, refused to give credit for it and when I raised it with them, they deleted the comment and blocked me. If you see this cropping up on Facebook and Twitter, please report for copyright violation.

Is there anything else we can do?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#138 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

Send your thoughts and prayers to D'rek.

#139 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostAptorian, on 26 July 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

Send your thoughts and prayers to D'rek.

And sandwiches

#140 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

View PostWerthead, on 26 July 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

Just reported it. I’m sure my post will be deleted soon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users