Malazan Empire: D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!] - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!]

#41 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

Wish I'd stumbled on this back when I started the series, but will be a nice tool going forward.

Didn't start series until 2011 or 2012. Read the core series, NoKs, and RotCG.

Took a break after RotCG sometime last year, but about to begin the rest, starting with SW. After the rest of ICE, onto Forge, which I'm having to resist the urge to jump to before finishing ICE, but that would aggravate my OCD.

Nice depiction of complete map.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#42 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostD, on 26 May 2014 - 01:08 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 May 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

I just don't like the size of the Letherii continent. It's HUGE. I know you tried to take travel times into consideration and that has a part to play in the massive middle section, but I'd rather it be some mystical/god-slain reason that makes the Glass Desert so impossible to pass as opposed to nearly being the size of Quon Tali.

Bluerose can't possibly be that large?

If the Glass Desert was small, they would have just gone around it.

That's exactly what the Letherii, Bolkando, and Perish did.... The Malazan's marched across it for strategic purposes.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#43 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostBrujah, on 04 July 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

Wish I'd stumbled on this back when I started the series, but will be a nice tool going forward.

Didn't start series until 2011 or 2012. Read the core series, NoKs, and RotCG.

Took a break after RotCG sometime last year, but about to begin the rest, starting with SW. After the rest of ICE, onto Forge, which I'm having to resist the urge to jump to before finishing ICE, but that would aggravate my OCD.

Nice depiction of complete map.

I did the same thing, this map is wonderful for referencing. It can get a bit confusing reading ICE's books since its hard to judge the timeline of events btw the 2 authors, also since ICE is writing under the assumption that you remember every detail from the past books you might have to skip over to the Wiki to brush up on minor characters and events from Steve's Book of the Fallen. Really enjoyed OST though and currently reading B&B atm. Its nice to see the progression of ICE's writing from KoK to the present, he's really grown in his story telling especially the humor that was so characteristic of SE's books.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#44 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 July 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

I just don't like the size of the Letherii continent. It's HUGE. I know you tried to take travel times into consideration and that has a part to play in the massive middle section, but I'd rather it be some mystical/god-slain reason that makes the Glass Desert so impossible to pass as opposed to nearly being the size of Quon Tali.

That's exactly what the Letherii, Bolkando, and Perish did.... The Malazan's marched across it for strategic purposes.

I meant more like if it was small there'd be no strategic value to one force marching through it because they wouldn't end up all that far apart on the other side.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#45 User is offline   Aertheron 

• Corporal

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostD, on 06 July 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 July 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

I meant more like if it was small there'd be no strategic value to one force marching through it because they wouldn't end up all that far apart on the other side.

The strategic purpose of the Glass Desert is that it is dead to magic, and no being however powerful can look into that area because magic doesn't work there, they where basically invisible. The Size of the Desert isn't actually
As I understood it, it was about 20 - 22 nights march across, with the distance covered getting lower towards the 11th day because of exhaustion. and then they got the water and could recuperate and march another 10 - 11 days (that is an estimate given by Fiddler when Adjunct asks him how far to the end of the desert.)
So how far can an army march in 22 days through a dessert, and for the first 11 days the distance covered gradually gets less, and then back to normal on the 12th day.

To mee it looks good on the resized version where Lether was made 60% of the size from the first map, making it about 2/3rds the size of 7C

#46 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

So when will it be legal to include the map from Assail?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#47 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostGothos, on 30 July 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

So when will it be legal to include the map from Assail?

What does legality have to do with it? I'm not publishing this or making any profit off of it ;)

I might have some time to try and work the Assail map and a few other changes this weekend.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#48 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

We had no problems posting maps from the earlier books, and of course can just take it down if anyone objects.

So, finally, ASSAIL!

Well, the northern bit of it, anyway.

Spoiler

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#49 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

City of Many Saints is interesting. What religions have we seen on this world that have saints?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#50 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postupworthywort, on 31 July 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

City of Many Saints is interesting. What religions have we seen on this world that have saints?

I seem to recall they had them in The Healthy Dead (Bauchelain & Korbal Broach)...
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#51 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:08 AM

Updated! See the OP.

Changes:

-replaced the made-up Assail with the new map from the novel
-added Genostel
-added a new Umryg
-changed around the former-Cabal into a new place and mixed up a lot of the islands
-moved Korel, Genebackis and Assail all a little closer together and closer to Quon Tali/Jacuruku/7C

#52 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Good work!

Is Assail really that huge though? Haven't read the book yet, but I didn't get the impression it was that vast.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#53 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostWerthead, on 07 August 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Good work!

Is Assail really that huge though? Haven't read the book yet, but I didn't get the impression it was that vast.

I haven't read the book either, so I have no idea! The map didn't have a scalebar. Easy to shrink it later when we have a better impression of its size.

#54 User is offline   Mythago Emurlahnis 

• Recruit

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostD, on 06 August 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

Updated! See the OP.

Changes:

-added Genostel
-added a new Umryg
-changed around the former-Cabal into a new place and mixed up a lot of the islands
-moved Korel, Genebackis and Assail all a little closer together and closer to Quon Tali/Jacuruku/7C

Hi, I am new to this.. what is OP? Where can I find updated map ? I am great admirer of your work with maps and timelines and I have also one project in mind. I am going to vectorize your maps and create infographic with routes of all important characters mentioned in books.

#55 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

First post on the page.

#56 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostMythago Emurlahnis, on 10 August 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

View PostD, on 06 August 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

Updated! See the OP.

Changes:

-added Genostel
-added a new Umryg

Hi, I am new to this.. what is OP? Where can I find updated map ? I am great admirer of your work with maps and timelines and I have also one project in mind. I am going to vectorize your maps and create infographic with routes of all important characters mentioned in books.

If you wanna stop by the cartographers guild website they do a lot of maps I think even a malazan one was in the making but they can help with any software if you plan on doing your maps digitally. personal I prefer maps that have the stenciled look but with computers its way easier to do through diff programs.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#57 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

I love it, I just have to ask: Assail is THIS big? I've not paid attention to scales with the maps, but... wow. In any case, the filling of the parts we're yet to see is awesome.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#58 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostGothos, on 11 August 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

I love it, I just have to ask: Assail is THIS big? I've not paid attention to scales with the maps, but... wow. In any case, the filling of the parts we're yet to see is awesome.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the Assail size. But in RotCG the Crimson Guard seem to head northwest from Bael to Stratem, and in TtH Mappo's TTG group get stuck on the Wrecker's Coast, so I put it at this size for now to make those two things line up, and once I've read Assail I might get a better impression of how big or small it should be (or someone who has read it can chime in here).

#59 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

I wanted to start colourizing the map a bit, but there's actually a lot of bits of white and grey specks all along the coasts. So, I've been doing a lot of touching up the coastlines, removing the excess particles and experimenting with degrees of rough- and smoothness.

Here's a preview of some work done so far on western 7C. The whole thing is at half full size, so already a loss of quality there, but you can see how from the Perish peninsulas and eastwards there is lots of artifacts. Tried going for maximum roughness around Perish, and maximum smoothness in the lakes.

Attached File  Map of the World Phase 10 - shoreline test.jpg (337.81K)
Number of downloads: 6

This post has been edited by D'rek: 25 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

#60 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Pretty snazzy
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users