• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#221 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

Got to play a full (10 point ) game of Twillight imperium 4th .. only took 8 hours!!.. well 9 we broke for food for a hour. Hadn’t played in years..so loving fourth

Such a amazing game if you can tutorial all new players before you play a real game.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#222 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Where there any major differences between this and the previous editions?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#223 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:32 AM

Read this : https://boardgamegee...ces-3rd-edition

They streamlined mechanics of the game...

https://boardgamegee...een-ti3-and-ti4

I’m psyched we for sure have a monthly game going with a group and hope to get another random game at a local game store running with random folks. As you know definitely a commitment.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#224 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 28 January 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

The big board game I got over Christmas was Battlestar Galactica. For a big fan of the show (the rebooted one) like myself, it was incredibly fun. Paranoia sets in so quickly about who the Cylons might be, which is why they ended up absolutely annihilating us humans in the end, as one of them cleverly made us expend huge amounts of resources continually vying for control of the Presidency, when we could have just worked together.

Takes a bloody age to set up though, and it's quite a time sink.

BSG is our bank holiday game - because you seem to need all day to play it really. One friend had an unfortunate habit of always pulling a Cylon card the first few times we played it, so now we have a habit of sticking him in the Brig ASAP just in case :unworthy: great game, but as you say, a time sink.

Also enjoyed Pandemic, and tried Betrayal at House on the Hill recently but didn't finish it. I would like to have another go at it though.

Further vote for Ticket to Ride - friends have multiple versions, I think I have a preference for the America one.

We've been playing a lovely little game called Timeline recently - there are multiple different versions of it. You start with a card with an event, invention, discovery, whatever on it, and you have to build the timeline around it by correctly guessing what order chronologically things happen in. I've got Science and Discoveries, friends have Inventions. We've all played far too much Civilisation and so are resoundingly bad at both! Posted Image

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 19 December 2017 - 05:52 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#225 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:52 AM

I bought all my nephews minus the baby board games ( he’s 3 so clearly he got Star Wars stuff.. /duh. )

/ diceroll I’m a little nervous but ...

12 year nephew got ..Runebound
10 year nephew got .. mysterium
11 year niece got ... ex Libris .. she loves reading books !
8 year nephew got ... king of toyko
7 year old niece got Disney codenames and some other girly stuff

Hope it works out..

#226 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Gloomhaven arrived yesterday and ...stained and sanded the insert for it!

Was about to play tonight.. but my buddy dipped out ! Hate that ..

Not that I have a clue how to play. Definetely a bit intimidating..

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 25 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

#227 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 25 January 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

Received my copy yesterday. It's absurdly massive. Inserts are still lagging though, which presents a bit of a challenge considering what a ridiculous amounts of bits there are in this box. First game tomorrow, can't wait :)

#228 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 25 January 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

Received my copy yesterday. It's absurdly massive. Inserts are still lagging though, which presents a bit of a challenge considering what a ridiculous amounts of bits there are in this box. First game tomorrow, can't wait :)

You're both going to have a ball. The less perfect the information sharing between players, the better, I think, especially if people can be a bit selfish-ish (aka don't expect the Tinkerer to be a healbot all the time: the game's session targets encourage players to break away from their intended/expected roles).

Two things we learned the hard way: this a card management game first and foremost: it pays to be careful with your loss cards (as awesome as they tend to be) and manage your short/long rests carefully. Also keep in mind that you can lose a card to negate damage from a hit: that's going to be a lifesaver for classes that move out of sync with healers, like the Scoundrel.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#229 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Gonna pick up Pandemic Legacy Season 2 this weekend. Really excited for it, though we probably won't get to play it with our fixed group for another few weeks. But at least it means I can gaze at the box whenever I want.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#230 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

Apparently I missed a kickstarter for the new Thunderstone Quest game, but hopefully it is coming out this year.

It kind of has me torn anyway. We play the original and advance in spurts.

And kind of don't like constant issuing of new editions rather than just more expansions.

But the new version does seem really cool and something you can more easily build/expand on.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#231 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:00 AM

This is mine stained x 2 coats, satin polyurethane x 2 coats, and sanded a little bit between each coat. I coulda gone a little more on this step.. but it’s also a insert too.

I know there are some professional/hobbyist woodworkers in here, but if you stain. (I’m definitely not! )Take the time to get a dremel and sand the parts you would glue before putting together. It’s didn’t affix quite perfectly, because I stained with everything on sprues and glued afterwards...and think I should have taken to bare wood upon putting them all together. Is there a better way to do this ??

Overall, Happy with the results!

I went a little crazy on polyurethane as the pieces are a very tight fit!...too

Posted Image

Note: they didn’t send me part 46 .. the top of the monster box

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 26 January 2018 - 03:11 AM

#232 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:22 AM

@ tapper .. did you guys sleeve this game? Worth it?

#233 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 26 January 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

@ tapper .. did you guys sleeve this game? Worth it?

We didn't so far and I think we'll likely be fine.
The cards you use most are the character cards, but they aren't dshuffled that much - usually only to determine the loss card during a short rest. That happens maybe once per deck per session. For us, it helps that we both play two characters each: as such we don't tend to hold our cards all the time but put them on the character sheets, which helps to reduce wear, tear and staining. I might reconsider once we start applying upgrade stickers to character decks - depends a little on how well they stick :)

The Road & City decks see use once per scenario, so we usually just cut these decks at the start of the session - half the cards you draw are removed from the game, so they don't see much wear & tear and they reset deck positions as well.
Enemy cards are only 8 per deck, so not exactly getting riffle-shuffled either.

The decks most likely to require sleeving are the combat/damage decks, especially the Monster one, as those are being used by all characters and in every fight all throughout the campaign.

#234 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

It's a great game wish I could play more.

https://johreh.githu...loomycompanion/

Is really quite handy in reducing all the admin involved with the monster decks, electronically generates the deck and will shuffle cards when required, something I frequently forgot to do after a long turn. Makes game set up a breeze.

But yeah you guys are going to have a blast!

#235 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

Gloomhaven really is a lot of fun!

#236 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:59 PM

Boardgames on Ipad? Good or blasphemy?

I recently bought Pandemic on Ipad as a test case.

The Pros:
Its a machine so no mistakes in terms or rules etc
Does the hard work for you (set ups on 1 second, shuffles for you etc)
plays exactly as the board game

The Cons
Everything takes place on the Ipad and you may need to consult sub menus to double check everything. Its not so easy to just look at your hand and remember what cities you have.

For the most part I think pandemic on an Ipad works very well. I also think that pandemic being a co-operative game may account for some of how the game translates so well to Ipad.

Does anyone else play boardgames on Ipad? Which games work well?

#237 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

Started Pandemic Legacy Season 2 yesterday. Looks like we've got a great run ahead again! Very different from the first season, but pretty awesome so far.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#238 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostCause, on 19 March 2018 - 01:59 PM, said:

Boardgames on Ipad? Good or blasphemy?

I recently bought Pandemic on Ipad as a test case.

The Pros:
Its a machine so no mistakes in terms or rules etc
Does the hard work for you (set ups on 1 second, shuffles for you etc)
plays exactly as the board game

The Cons
Everything takes place on the Ipad and you may need to consult sub menus to double check everything. Its not so easy to just look at your hand and remember what cities you have.

For the most part I think pandemic on an Ipad works very well. I also think that pandemic being a co-operative game may account for some of how the game translates so well to Ipad.

Does anyone else play boardgames on Ipad? Which games work well?

You already nailed it: anything in which you do not have to rely on an AI (to replace a player/ be your opposition) will play well.
That means most co-operative games are immediately fine, because generally there is an engine for the 'opposition' in the boardgame itself.

As an example: I play Sentinels of the Multiverse on Steam (although it also exists on Android & iPad). My reason is mostly because that card game played on a table is just so much administration that it is no longer fun (mostly, damage types, immunities, reactive abilities). On Steam, I can play a full game with the maximum amount of players in an hour or so. On the table, that would take at the least three times as much, with most of it being calculations.

I think most of Jamie Stonemaier's games come with a single player module (Viticulture & Scythe at the least do), in which opponent actions are simulated through cards drawn from a deck. Imperial Settlers by Ignacy Trzewiczek has the same mechanic. If they're availabe on the iPad, you could do worse than those (although I didn't like Settler's Atlantis expansion: they play a reverse game from all the other factions and really drag out the opening rounds as a result).

#239 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, what Tapper said. Tablet games and similar is a trade-off of bookkeeping versus player interactivity. I'd never play a 6-player game of Eclipse on an IPad instead of a table, because the moving-bits-around isn't that bad and the atmosphere/conversation between players is way better at an actual table. But some games are so complex and fiddly that the IPad makes them more fun by removing all the overhead. Also great for solo gaming, since playing just about any board game solo involves a ton of adding new obstacles/managing an "AI" player bookkeeping.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#240 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

Man, we should do another forum version of an Eclipse game! I had a lot of fun doing those a while back, and the game's too complicated for most of my friends to get into it.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users