• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

I've lately gotten into several games that fit the thread title. Zombiedice is a great simple dice game, learned in seconds and playable by any number of people at a time. It's great for a warm-up game preceeding the meatier stuff, like Munchkin. If you haven't played this card game do yourself a favor and do so. Full of great satire and loving mocking of role-playing games, it's a great game. Three Dragon Ante is a fantasy poker type game made by Wizards of the Coast, the D@D people. Good times. Of course, if the mood is board games then Catann or Carcassonne are the choice.

Your favorites?
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

We usually play poker if playing cards. With dice, we go for Mexican Dice (or Mexico) only with 3 dice instead of 2, raises the bluffing aspect immensely.

Published board/card games... We used to play a lot of Munchkin but got bored of it as we considered it far too much luck based and not strategic/tactical enough unless you tune both decks to get the type of game you want, which is way too much work. With lots of time on our hands, Axis and Allies or Diplomacy. For fast paced action, we go for Guillotine, Citadels or a couple of other euro games.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

I live in a house with 6 other software engineers, so as you can imagine, a lot of boardgames get played. A lot of Catan (we've got several of the expansions so we've tried out plenty of the scenarios in them), but also Citadels and Puerto Rico.

Recently we've also tried out the slightly less well known Priests of Ra, which is a very enjoyable game centred around bidding. I really like the strategic concepts in it. Also, we've played Robo Rally a few times - you program your robots to move them around a board, to try and reach certain checkpoints, but you have various obstacles like conveyor belts and lasers to navigate, plus the other players are shooting at you. Fun if you've got a group with a reasonable attention span and moderate ability to plan, but if one of those two elements are lacking it can be a bit of a slog.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#4 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I got invited to a warmachine event. Not sure if the miniatures games are my bag though, never really been into them.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#5 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have a group of friends that gets together and plays Bang quite often. Haven't played much in the way of board games or paper based rpg's for a long time since my old group has dispersed across the continent... But if you haven't played, look into Bang.

#6 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:15 PM

I have played Bang. It's ok, but doesn't grab me like Munchkin does. I've found that Munchkin improves with each expansion pack, and my buddy has them all. His Munchkin deck is massive.

Some of these other games being mentioned sound good.

#7 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

I must admit that I haven't played munchkin, but after reading a bit about it I think I'll have to by a pack and give it a whirl.

#8 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

You can have a perfectly good time with nothing but the bare bones starter pack. If you start playing a lot though it's really nice to have new cards t obe able to mix in from time to time though.

#9 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it some more. See if I can't get some friends interested as well.

#10 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

We play a few games regularly at our place.

1) Innovation (card/board game) which is a pretty fun game about technology and synergy.
2) Cyclades - offer the best gift to the gods and conquer Greece!
3) Settlers (duh).
4) Race for the Galaxy, which is a fairly interesting space-themed card game.

I used to play Axis and Allies ALL THE TIME, but I no longer have a table big enough to play the Anniversary Edition on.

This post has been edited by Adjutant Stormy: 09 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

I just realized I mangled the title of this thread a bit. I was not at my most sober when creating it.

#12 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

It's ok. Which reminds me, of course, of Settlers of Catan, the drinking game.
Roll a 7, everyone drinks, whoever gets stolen from takes another. That's usually enough to get all parties sufficiently intoxicated, amongst my hardcore settlers group. But, if you're unsatisfied - when you lose, you take a drink for each point you have (thus sparing the biggest loser, who probably will call for a rematch anyhow).
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#13 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

There is only 30 seconds!

#14 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Haven't been able to play them much lately but these were always some of my favorites:

Axis and Allies-Set up was a pain, but I always loved this game
Samurai swords/shogun-Again, setup was a little bit of a pain but loved it
Feudal-a cool medeval chess style game, very fun game to play
Mutant chronicles: Seige of the citadel-I no longer have this game, but my wife, 2 brothers and I spent a lot of hours playing this

I also have a game "system" that my brother bought me from wal mart, I think its hero scape or some such, that has little figurines and a snap together hex based map system. Its awsome to play, but can take up to 45 minutes to build the playing surface.

#15 User is offline   Errant 

• Recruit

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:16 AM

I've just recently started to get into board games. In the last two weeks I've bought Dominion and Carcassonne, plus a few expansions for Carcassonne. Mostly I've been playing with my wife, since both work very well with only 2 players, but have had a few 'game nights' as well. I'd highly recommend both games.

Any recommendations for other games that work well with only 2, but also with 3-4 players?

Some I'm considering:

Race for the Galaxy
San Juan
Pandemic (I've played this once, was very fun)
Stone Age
Agricola
Ticket to Ride

#16 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

View Postmoridin, on 09 March 2011 - 11:23 PM, said:

Samurai swords/shogun-Again, setup was a little bit of a pain but loved it

I have been trying for ages to obtain a near-mint/ mint conditioned version of that game. It is quite hard to find.

I can definately commend abalone if you're looking for a two-player board game. It is awesome fun, and very fluid in play, a bit like checkers.

Citadels is good fun, too.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#17 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

San Juan is alright with 2 players, but Race for the Galaxy really starts to lag behind, quality wise, with that few players.

I totally forgot about Citadels!

bla bla bla

#18 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!!!!

Ok, so first my current favorites:
Guillotine (great for a 2 player, trash talk, kill the other guy moment. Current goals include winning with the opponent receiving a negative score and collecting all of the Support cards)
Ticket to Ride (seriously, fun game. Can be played nicely or cut throat and there are a lot of expansions and versions.)
Cannibal Pygmies in the Jungle of Doom (clever little B-movie card game with other versions/additions such as Grave Robbers from Outer Space)
Settlers of Catan (of course)
Blockus (for the geometrically inclined)

Also, I do enjoy the simpler pleasures in life (double solitaire, Farkle, Spit)

But I suck at Monopoly. Sad...

This post has been edited by Gust Hubb: 21 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#19 User is offline   StormHelm 

• Recruit

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

Been playing a bit of Axis and Allies recently. Good times. We played some LOTR Risk last night, and god what a shambles!
Other games that are good: Settlers of Catan, Talisman, Carcasonne. Seems settlers is pretty popular all round!
There was a random card game I played the other night, all in Chinese (Mandarin), similiar to mafia, but based on the Three Kingdoms. Can't remember what it was called, but it was good fun.

#20 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

Recently bought a board game called Junta: Viva El Presidente!

It's good fun - quite a combative game in that you're attacking the other players a lot, which leads to quite a bit of backstabbing. At its heart is the "Presidente" mechanic, which is awesome - if you are the Presidente (there's a pair of shades that comes with the game that you have to wear -_-), you get a large number of cards that you need to distribute amongst the other players. As the Presidente, you are quite weak so you need to buy the support of the other players to keep your position. It's good fun and I'd recommend it :p.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users