• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#241 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

View PostBlend, on 27 March 2018 - 07:41 PM, said:

Man, we should do another forum version of an Eclipse game! I had a lot of fun doing those a while back, and the game's too complicated for most of my friends to get into it.

Or EVEN BIGGER. Game of Thrones forum game? Twilight Imperium forum game? Mega Civilization forum game? Campaign for North African forum game???

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#242 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:54 AM

I would be up for any of those games, but lack the time to run one.

#243 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 31 March 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I would be up for any of those games, but lack the time to run one.

Likewise.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#244 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

Found a new gaming group from an older friend.. they are playing under savage worlds.. but check this out 8-10 person group! Pysched on a good sized group been ages!

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 11 April 2018 - 06:55 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#245 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Got a chance to play Lords of Hellas! Love the theme quite a bit of fun with a experienced group
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#246 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

Backed what looks like 4 kickstarters this week so drawing down to..

Hellboy and court of the dead... both seem awesome..

#247 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

So I'm going to be DMing a campaign soon. The core notion behind it is that there's an excessively powerful, Nemesis style entity that pursues the party and is unkillable until "sealed" by a ritual, at which point it becomes a boss.

Now, to show the party that the point of this thing is to run the hell away from it, on first appearance I'm having it tear a troll in half as though it was nothing and then erasing another from existence. And yes, if the party tries to engage it before it's sealed, it's got an instant kill mechanic. It does however have only 5ft movement speed in combat (though it uses a reach weapon) so if they do end up in initiative against it they can run.

Has anyone ever played a campaign along these lines? If so, any hints on it? The main aim is to implore my players to avoid the boss whilst discovering how to finally dunk it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#248 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Either have some npcs stress to them that they should not engage with some graphic stories, and/or build in some opt-out mechanic so that if your group still decides against all common sense (there are always one or two) to take on the entity, either they get pulled out last minute by you through some sort of bystander spell/something that distracts the Nemesis long enough for your team to escape/etc. Insta-kill might make that tricky, but perhaps you could build in a delay to that instakill so they first get one combat round in that shows them that they are not making a dent before there is a retaliation. Just make sure that you seed some hints to your DM extraction option early on in the campaign so it doesn't come as a deus ex machina.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#249 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostGorefest, on 30 April 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Either have some npcs stress to them that they should not engage with some graphic stories, and/or build in some opt-out mechanic so that if your group still decides against all common sense (there are always one or two) to take on the entity, either they get pulled out last minute by you through some sort of bystander spell/something that distracts the Nemesis long enough for your team to escape/etc. Insta-kill might make that tricky, but perhaps you could build in a delay to that instakill so they first get one combat round in that shows them that they are not making a dent before there is a retaliation. Just make sure that you seed some hints to your DM extraction option early on in the campaign so it doesn't come as a deus ex machina.

Well what I've done is this:

- as stated it instagibs two trolls. I'm thinking of having it do this to a beholder too just to show this thing is ludicrously powerful.

- environmental escape methods, i.e. get far enough ahead and hide from it, grates, secret passages etc.

- the opening NPC says "oh well fuckity flip that's a demon lord from some hellish place in the abyss, don't fight it just run"

- the instakill is a con save on a specific attack (working name is "spectral sword") but it still does very high damage on a normal attack. So maybe SS would be a second/third round skill. Con save is DC10, on a 9 or below the target dies instantly.

- RE extraction, could always have a chorus of angels/celestials show up to fight it if the party engages round one and have them get absolutely bodied.

#250 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

OK so I've worked out some further details with my Big Bad:

- The instakill in combat takes two turns, one where he charges it and one where he attacks, the charge gives a player a chance to escape as the boss won't make attacks of opportunity whilst charging.

- He has 10ft movement speed in combat and if his turn ends with a player in his line of sight, he'll apply a variant of Hunter's Mark for x turns to them and start to follow them around. Players will be encouraged to end their turns behind cover. He doesn't suffer from restricted movement in difficult terrain - I'm designing an encounter with him in a village where if a player is marked he'll walk through houses to make his way to them. The plan is to have other enemies in this encounter that forces the party to fight and flee at the same time.

So far it's pretty fun. I've got my first boss written, and have a plan for a three-way branching choice after that.

#251 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

The wife and I have played 8 out of 12 games of Charterstone over the weekend. So far, it is a gem of a game and the legacy aspect is neither so heavy that you meta for it during the regular games, nor so light that it has no consequences.
If it stays this way for the next 4 games, we are very likely to buy the refresh set and play it with 2 Charters each on the flip side of the board.

#252 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

First DM session done. We didn't get through the full first segment (the party ended the session just before the boss room), however:

- The big and terrifying evil nemesis went over very well, the party was smart enough to run away when it tore a Beholder in half without any effort whatsoever.

- The campaign content had enough hooks that they were happily exploring

- I trolled them with a lock lurker (back from 2E!), it was many giggles.

#253 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

My Expansions of death arrive tomorrow and I have the most of the main set painted!!

I have been playing a TON of legends of hellas, really really fun. I love the combat system. I would label it moderately finicky though for those that detest that, no VPs just game winning conditions which number four. As of now 1 seems OP(southern land grab) and one seems totally impossible(monuments)

I can’t wait for wave two to land to flesh out the whole game with expansions and more heroes.

On the more RPG side: I totally wanna do Star Trek Adventures...

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 09 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

#254 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Rising Sun arrived today!! A little late, but better than never.

Also, a friend of mine just launched a game on kickstarter, and I can attest to it being pretty great :killingme:

https://www.kickstar...r-1/description
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#255 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

You're going to enjoy it!

I bought Twilight Imperium 4th edition two weeks ago. The wife was less than impressed, considering the games cabinet is already bursting at the seams.

#256 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostTapper, on 15 May 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

I bought Twilight Imperium 4th edition two weeks ago. The wife was less than impressed, considering the games cabinet is already bursting at the seams.

Nice ! Well clearly that means she should get more furniture, game cabinets are clearly furniture, which equates to more games.

#257 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 15 May 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Rising Sun arrived today!! A little late, but better than never.

Also, a friend of mine just launched a game on kickstarter, and I can attest to it being pretty great :)

https://www.kickstar...r-1/description

I really enjoy rising sun with one group, the back and forth is quite fun. I like the fact it’s a really really clean non finicky game. It’s fun having each clans OP power out too ...

#258 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 15 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostTapper, on 15 May 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

Nice ! Well clearly that means she should get more furniture, game cabinets are clearly furniture, which equates to more games.

Or just a bigger house! A gaming basement is were it’s at
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#259 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:17 AM

We tried to play Archipelago on the weekend and none of my group can really remember why we liked it so much when we first got it. It felt really stubborn and hard to accomplish anything, and the rules around meeples being placed on certain things but not other things didn't seem to always make sense. Maybe we are just spoiled because back then we hadn't really ever played a "work together but someone might be the betrayer" game before, and now we've all played Battlestar Galactic, Dead of Winter, etc? It was kinda weird.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#260 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

So my D&D group are now running Grievous Wounds.

If a character takes more than half their hit point total from a single attack, they roll a D20. There's a table of effects online somewhere, but it can range from loss of an eye to loss of a limb, to taking three levels of exhaustion after combat ends.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users