• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#181 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

I've backed David Lang's new kickstarter, Rising Sun. It looks awesome, and already the stretch goals have reached the sky.

https://www.kickstar...?ref=nav_search
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#182 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 08 March 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

I've backed David Lang's new kickstarter, Rising Sun. It looks awesome, and already the stretch goals have reached the sky.

Same here. Blood Rage (as we discussed) is a favorite, and this looks a very good follow-up on that game, with expanded interaction and mechanics.
My one complaint is that the video somewhat lacking in the way it explains play (religion, turn order, province rewards, et cetera).
On the bright side, at the least this time, CMON does let its lady participants in the video actually do more than stand on either side of the board.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#183 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

View PostTapper, on 08 March 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 08 March 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Same here. Blood Rage (as we discussed) is a favorite, and this looks a very good follow-up on that game, with expanded interaction and mechanics.
My one complaint is that the video somewhat lacking in the way it explains play (religion, turn order, province rewards, et cetera).
On the bright side, at the least this time, CMON does let its lady participants in the video actually do more than stand on either side of the board.

Reading the description of this game reminds me of the game MARE NOSTROM which seems very similar to this set on the Mediterranean Sea and including all sorts of historic and mythical heroes and creatures, plus ancient wonders and a sweet trading mechanic which could allow a player to win solely with smart economics.

#184 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

We played the new Dark Souls boardgame last night, and it was a lot of fun! We made sure not to powergame too hard, and let people organize their own actions. The result was a fun, tense gaming experience that made us want to continue playing way too long. I was the assassin and gained the masters attire early, which made me a dodging god. Right until I had a single bad roll and was smashed in the face by Super-Smough and died.

#185 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Anyone play castle panic? Recommend it?

#186 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

I'm playing D&D now. Level 3 Dwarven brewmaster cleric. 19AC, 22HP, spec is largely geared towards support.

Spiritual Weapon is so much fun.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#187 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Got Terra Mystica as an anniversary gift, and have played a couple games of it now. I kinda like being the Swarmlings.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#188 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 July 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

I'm playing D&D now. Level 3 Dwarven brewmaster cleric. 19AC, 22HP, spec is largely geared towards support.

My friends and I play D&D every weekend!

I am currently DMing, but in the game where I was a player, I had gotten up to level 6 Wood Elf Wizard. The team I DM are a level 12 Fire Genasi Phoenix Sorcerer, a level 12 Sahaguin Battlemaster Fighter, a level 12 Soulbound Bard, and a level 12 Kitsune Trickster Cleric.

LOVE LOVE LOVE D&D!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#189 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Also love me some d&d, as much fun as dming is wish I could play more. I've been addicted to the webshow critical role which really introduced me to the hobby.

In other gaming related news recently played gloomhaven which is insane. Over 90 different scenarios in am evolving legacy type game. Plays similar to the combat aspects of dnd. If you have a regular gaming group you are going to want to play this.

#190 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 14 July 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Got Terra Mystica as an anniversary gift, and have played a couple games of it now. I kinda like being the Swarmlings.

My groups of friends have played a lot of Terra Mystica. It's great. My only victory was with the mermaids, normally I do rather poorly.

#191 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

View PostBlend, on 14 July 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

I am currently DMing, but in the game where I was a player, I had gotten up to level 6 Wood Elf Wizard. The team I DM are a level 12 Fire Genasi Phoenix Sorcerer, a level 12 Sahaguin Battlemaster Fighter, a level 12 Soulbound Bard, and a level 12 Kitsune Trickster Cleric.

LOVE LOVE LOVE D&D!

Never played D&D, but me and my friends started playing DSA a few months ago, a german pen & paper RPG, that is probably very similar. We tried to meet some regulary, but sadly the guy who started everything, bought a lot of books and adventures, and was our DM at the beginning lost interest. Now I'm doing his job when I have the time to prepare a new adventure and the team consists of a depressed knight, a male witch without any personality or traits, a cowardly noble who runs from everthing, a callboy and two drunken dwarves with rage issues I desperately try to get to breed. Posted Image

#192 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 15 July 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

Also love me some d&d, as much fun as dming is wish I could play more. I've been addicted to the webshow critical role which really introduced me to the hobby.

In other gaming related news recently played gloomhaven which is insane. Over 90 different scenarios in am evolving legacy type game. Plays similar to the combat aspects of dnd. If you have a regular gaming group you are going to want to play this.

I'm up to episode 86 in Critical Role at the moment!

I've also listened to everything put out by Acquisitions Incorporated (you should really check them out if you like Critical Role), and 5 of the 6 seasons of DNDUI. LOVE LOVE LOVE Critical Role!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#193 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Good to know it is a good game - I jumped in on the last day of the Kickstarter, because I was quite unsure about whether the game underneath the heap of cool stuff was going to be good. Still not sure if the wife will join me in playing it, but apparently it is a good solo game, too.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#194 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostBlend, on 17 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

I've also listened to everything put out by Acquisitions Incorporated (you should really check them out if you like Critical Role), and 5 of the 6 seasons of DNDUI. LOVE LOVE LOVE Critical Role!

I'm fully up to date with critical role, tried a few episodes of acquisitions inc, but didn't enjoy them much... can you recommend a starting point? I've recently started listening to the adventure zone, which is a more comedy focused dnd show which is pretty good.

And yes Tapper, gloomhaven has an incredible amount of stuff involved, but the underlying gameplay mechanics seemed solid. My friends who'd bought it had played well over 60 hours and were still loving it. I'm very tempted to get a copy myself when it is retailing properly.

#195 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 17 July 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 17 July 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

I'm fully up to date with critical role, tried a few episodes of acquisitions inc, but didn't enjoy them much... can you recommend a starting point? I've recently started listening to the adventure zone, which is a more comedy focused dnd show which is pretty good.

And yes Tapper, gloomhaven has an incredible amount of stuff involved, but the underlying gameplay mechanics seemed solid. My friends who'd bought it had played well over 60 hours and were still loving it. I'm very tempted to get a copy myself when it is retailing properly.

I wouldn't bother with the C team, I don't like them much.

Check out the Acquisitions Incorporated PAX games (do them in order of dates and you should get a pretty full story). They also did a like 10 episode series at one point that was basically some playtesting of a new Sword Coast adventure unit.

I like Acquisitions Incorporated because the DM for those, Chris Perkins, is one of the guys who writes a LOT of the D&D lore and other D&D materials. He knows what he's talking about, and though their gameplay style is a lot looser than, say, Crit Role or DNDUI, it's quite interesting to see how a slightly more easy-going DM works.

Still, nothing can compare to Matthew Mercer and his crew - a bunch of voice actors playing D&D together is like a wet dream. Plus, some of the best NPCs are Matt's NPCs - I'm thinking Victor the Black Powder Merchant, and Gilmore and Clarota here... Oh, and Sun Tree. All really memorable NPCs!

#196 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostBlend, on 14 July 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE D&D!

How did you folks end up with a group? Having moved 3 years ago I have a painfully small number of local friends and none show the slightest inclination. Is there a D&D matchup site or something?!

In the move I found all my old character sheets and DM notes, good times. All safely squirrelled away in the attic in the hopes I can convince our twins to play...
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#197 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

I'm too introverted to play with strangers. But google a gaming store in your area. Something that specializes in board games and comics etc and found out if they ever do demos or have a games night. Attend and make friends and tell someone you want to DnD.

#198 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostCause, on 19 July 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'm too introverted to play with strangers. But google a gaming store in your area. Something that specializes in board games and comics etc and found out if they ever do demos or have a games night. Attend and make friends and tell someone you want to DnD.

Pretty much this, i attend a few games evenings/geek events and run a geeky bookclub through the website meetup, there is a huge appetite for playing d&d in that community so it's not too hard to find a group. Especially if you DM, DM's are in huge demand.

there are also a fair amount of gaming stores which run d&d nights.

#199 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

I, luckily, had a friend who used to play with his brothers when he was growing up.

So I play with that friend and his boyfriend, one of his brothers, and another good friend of mine who expressed interest, once a week with lots of beer and BBQ! ;)

The friend's brother was originally the DM - we played his campaign for about 2 years, but he was getting some major DM's block, and I had been working on an Elemental Planes campaign during most of that time, so I picked up the reins, had them all create new characters starting at level 10, and we've been doing that for almost a year now!

In fact, the group was originally my friend and his boyfriend, me and one of the brother's friends. The brother's friend dropped out because she couldn't commit to playing regularly. Then my other friend joined, then my other friend's girlfriend joined. She and the first friend's boyfriend didn't get along, so the first friend's boyfriend quit. Then other friend and his girlfriend broke up, so the girlfriend quit. So first friend's boyfriend is now back in the fold. We mostly try to keep drama away from the table, but sometimes there's no stopping it.

Regards finding a group - there are subreddits dedicated to finding groups, I think, and if you'd be open to trying to play over the computer (mike and potentially webcam needed), then you could try Roll 20.

This post has been edited by Blend: 19 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

#200 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:21 AM

I have been playing board games in a group at comic cons and found a friend from like 10 years before that play’s. So naturally I’m obsessed as this scene is awesome..

Went with blood rage, shadespire, imperial assault, gloom haven(otw) and kingdom death(otw).

I placed a few on pre order via Kickstarter with Joan of Arc, too many bones and war room for late 2018 games.

Think I’m good! I’m going to put together a game for Phoenix comic con.. + see what SDCC has to offer this year.

Can’t wait

(As a note my 8-10 year exalted game came to a close— so this hopefully will fill that gap and nobody has the time anymore for these type of sessions)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 08 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users