Malazan Empire: Fun nerdy dice,card and board games - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#261 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,787
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

So my D&D group are now running Grievous Wounds.

If a character takes more than half their hit point total from a single attack, they roll a D20. There's a table of effects online somewhere, but it can range from loss of an eye to loss of a limb, to taking three levels of exhaustion after combat ends.



Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#262 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,899
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 May 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

So my D&D group are now running Grievous Wounds.

If a character takes more than half their hit point total from a single attack, they roll a D20. There's a table of effects online somewhere, but it can range from loss of an eye to loss of a limb, to taking three levels of exhaustion after combat ends.


You should run it from kingdom deaths severe injure tables lol
0

#263 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,899
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Cant figure out the internet this morning so a link as example
https://drive.google...XozeUVHZWM/view
0

#264 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

  • [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 2,787
  • Joined: 11-November 14
  • Location:Barnsley, UK
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 16 May 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 May 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

So my D&D group are now running Grievous Wounds.

If a character takes more than half their hit point total from a single attack, they roll a D20. There's a table of effects online somewhere, but it can range from loss of an eye to loss of a limb, to taking three levels of exhaustion after combat ends.


You should run it from kingdom deaths severe injure tables lol


It might be that one, I'm at work so can't open it just now. I'll try and remember to look at lunch.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle
0

#265 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I received Rising Sun + expansion and all stretch goals. Jesus, this is an absurd amount of boxes.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#266 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 May 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

I received Rising Sun + expansion and all stretch goals. Jesus, this is an absurd amount of boxes.

If you cut the miniature trays a little, you can stash the game in "just" the main box and the Shogun box.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

#267 User is offline   Cause 

  • God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 4,674
  • Joined: 25-December 03
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 23 May 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

I received Rising Sun + expansion and all stretch goals. Jesus, this is an absurd amount of boxes.


I wish delivery costs for these things were not so insanse to SA
0

#268 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:17 AM

View PostCause, on 23 May 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 23 May 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

I received Rising Sun + expansion and all stretch goals. Jesus, this is an absurd amount of boxes.


I wish delivery costs for these things were not so insanse to SA


Move to scandinavia. Get all the boardgames ;) Or come play them in Oslo
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#269 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 15 May 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Rising Sun arrived today!! A little late, but better than never.

Also, a friend of mine just launched a game on kickstarter, and I can attest to it being pretty great :)

https://www.kickstar...r-1/description

Backed. It looks fun, and it seems there's plenty of interest!
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

#270 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

View PostTapper, on 23 May 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 15 May 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Rising Sun arrived today!! A little late, but better than never.

Also, a friend of mine just launched a game on kickstarter, and I can attest to it being pretty great :)

https://www.kickstar...r-1/description

Backed. It looks fun, and it seems there's plenty of interest!


Yeah, Haakon is a little shell shocked from the whole thing. He's been working on it for a while, and has done everything himself, from rules and systems to the art. There's been a lot of playtesting obviously, and the response has been very positive, but I don't think he expected this level of enthusiasm.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#271 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:48 PM

The kickstarter is still climbing like crazy. Demoing it at a con last week-end brought in another million NOK. It's ridiculous and amazing!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#272 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 06 June 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

The kickstarter is still climbing like crazy. Demoing it at a con last week-end brought in another million NOK. It's ridiculous and amazing!

It is really cool! I hope the craziness of added stretch goals will not leave him with a product without reward for his hard work.
It is one thing to print 6-12 extra cards that are already designed with stretch goals in mind - the law of diminishing costs per product applies, after all.
It is another to have linen finish on the entire product in addition to printing 20+ additional cards, a few of which still have to be designed.

Basically, I hope stretch goals don't make him break his game, like Fenrir did in quite a few games of Blood Rage :)
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

#273 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

View PostTapper, on 06 June 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 06 June 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

The kickstarter is still climbing like crazy. Demoing it at a con last week-end brought in another million NOK. It's ridiculous and amazing!

It is really cool! I hope the craziness of added stretch goals will not leave him with a product without reward for his hard work.
It is one thing to print 6-12 extra cards that are already designed with stretch goals in mind - the law of diminishing costs per product applies, after all.
It is another to have linen finish on the entire product in addition to printing 20+ additional cards, a few of which still have to be designed.

Basically, I hope stretch goals don't make him break his game, like Fenrir did in quite a few games of Blood Rage :)


Which one was Fenrir again?

I played another round of Rising Sun recently. It's a fun game. I like the play mat too. Last time around I drew the clan that can buy stuff for cheap, and decided to go for a low honour, monster sort of strategy. I'm not so sure if it's a strong strategy, mainly because of other players being able to kidnap the monsters, but it sure was fun. Finished second behind the dragonfly clan whom managed to pull six different region tiles, or whatever they're called.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#274 User is offline   Morgoth 

  • executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 9,666
  • Joined: 24-January 03
  • Location:the void

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Another game of rising sun, six players this time. IT was a whole lot of chaos and a whole lot of fun! I played as the Sun clan and pulled of an absurd victory with 99 points as my end result. All thanks to virtues and a monster that gave me cash whenever I bought a virtue. I had a steady drip of points and cash that increased as summer turned into autumn, and managed by the end to grab both winter upgrades that gave points for virtues.

There was a lot of luck involved, I was hoping to grab another monster, one that counts both as a castle and a daimyo, but the Moon Clan took it first. That event changed my strategy and it worked really well.

The coolest strategy around the table, though it didn't net enough points in the end, was the Dragonfly clan. He focused on low honour and Oni's. When the Oni of Hate arrived, and he took control of the temple that provides extra movement, he flew the thing around killing soldiers left and right, leaving whole regions empty.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil
0

#275 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:42 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 12 June 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

View PostTapper, on 06 June 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 06 June 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

The kickstarter is still climbing like crazy. Demoing it at a con last week-end brought in another million NOK. It's ridiculous and amazing!

It is really cool! I hope the craziness of added stretch goals will not leave him with a product without reward for his hard work.
It is one thing to print 6-12 extra cards that are already designed with stretch goals in mind - the law of diminishing costs per product applies, after all.
It is another to have linen finish on the entire product in addition to printing 20+ additional cards, a few of which still have to be designed.

Basically, I hope stretch goals don't make him break his game, like Fenrir did in quite a few games of Blood Rage :)


Which one was Fenrir again?

I played another round of Rising Sun recently. It's a fun game. I like the play mat too. Last time around I drew the clan that can buy stuff for cheap, and decided to go for a low honour, monster sort of strategy. I'm not so sure if it's a strong strategy, mainly because of other players being able to kidnap the monsters, but it sure was fun. Finished second behind the dragonfly clan whom managed to pull six different region tiles, or whatever they're called.

Fenrir was the monster that destroyed his own province instead of the pre-determined region at the end of the turn, allowing crazy shenanigans (glory for guys in walhalla and quest-breaking).

Rising Sun is pretty awesome. Every clan seems crazily overpowered and yet it all nicely matches up.
I am pretty sure calculated amassing of regions and virtues is the optimal strategy, but this is the type of game I don't want to play optimally. I want to do cool stuff.
So far, our main gripe is that money resets between the seasons, making only the first few battles about tactically using your funds, and the remainder about spending everything you have.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

#276 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,899
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

Eclipse 2nd edition is up on Kickstarter , played a game and was not a fan. So debating on it as a buy.

It felt like a weaker Twillight for sure
0

#277 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

  • My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,871
  • Joined: 07-February 08
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

Got the most recent (last year's) expansion for Dominion for my birthday, and in all likelihood will now have to totally rethink my storage solution for the game. :cry:
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch
0

#278 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:07 AM

The Edge: Dawnfall 1.6 is going live today on Kickstarter. I absolutely love the shit out of 1.0 even though I haven't played it that much (and then only solo).
I will for sure back this one.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

#279 User is offline   Nicodimas 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,899
  • Joined: 28-August 07
  • Location:Valley of the Sun

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

Been playing Architects of the West Kingdom.

Way fun! I would suggest to pick it up.

My copy of vindication landed. At my local pawn shop picked up exodus:proxima Centauri, Siderreal confluence , and Arcadia Quest.

Backed Tainted Grail on Kickstarter

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 18 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

0

#280 User is offline   Tapper 

  • Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Posts: 6,111
  • Joined: 29-June 04
  • Location:Delft, Holland.

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:22 PM

Tainted Grail I also backed, although i am not entirely a fan of how bleak and nasty the setting seems.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad
0

Share this topic:


  • 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users