• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fun nerdy dice,card and board games Yes, a non-videogame thread

#201 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

Second season of Pandemic Legacy is out! That is my Christmas sorted.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#202 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostGorefest, on 09 November 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

I bought the first season that should keep me busy with my non-nerdy friends .. I’m pretty sure they will like it.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#203 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

I have two massive strategy games waiting from Kickstarter. Rising Sun and Gods War. Gods War was supposed to arrive in august, but has been pushed back to q1 2018, which means it will arrive around the same time as Rising Sun. It's a shame, I had hoped to have one for christmas.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#204 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Well, my D&D group are doing a birthday session for me next week. I have no idea what this will entail, just that it's a campaign built around my Dwarf Brewmaster Cleric, Angrym Saltbeard. I smell shenanigans.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#205 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 09 November 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 09 November 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

I bought the first season that should keep me busy with my non-nerdy friends .. I'm pretty sure they will like it.

Just make sure that you choose people who can stick with it, because it is not the type of game that you can just switch players halfway through. The outcome of each round has an effect on future games and player characters, so really you'll need the same team of players throughout to get the full experience. Other than that, best cooperative game EVER. Hands down. Possibly best game ever, period.

And I'm not just saying that from a fanboy perspective. BoardGameGeek seems to agree.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 09 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#206 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:38 AM

Yeah, we played Pandemic Legacy Season 1 twice through (two copies) over the past two years, four players (with a fifth swapping in on occasion.) Great game. I assume either my wife or I will be getting Season Two for Christmas.

And speaking of "limited # of plays" games, has anyone played anything from the Exit: The Game series? It's basically like one of those real-life escape rooms, but in card game form. (So you can only play it once, since you already know the puzzles, and may also have to destroy some of the components.) We just played The Pharaoh's Tomb over the weekend with 5, and it was fantastic.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#207 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, we played exit: the secret lab and another one. If you like those, also try “Unlock! Escape adventures”. Very similar concept, but instead of physically cutting up the box contents it uses a downloadable app which you use to enter codes and check solutions. So after you have played it yourself you can actually let other people have a go as well.

#208 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Our poor DM arranged a one-off story session for us last week. I say 'our poor DM' because it was a huge build-up to a boss fight with a Night Hag, which came immediately after we had been made to fight amongst ourselves (one character died but I had some rez mushroom so brought him back).

And what happens? Our assassin gets up behind her, blows an Essence of Ether into her face, we use the 8 hours of her being knocked out to short rest, and then group one-shot her. Owies.

We also may be starting Tomb of Annihilation soon.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#209 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

Pandemic: Season one is brilliant keeps my one group of friends totally engaged they texted me when they get to play. A minor miracle as this is more of the people that just like to go out to bars to drink.

On the flip side I rediscovered twillight imperium , I thought this was the game I played years ago a handful of time. I mean it was literally my whole Sunday and I missed the walking dead for the first time in ages.. but wow this is one hell of a fun game for eating away a whole day.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#210 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

You would love Twilight Struggle i think.

#211 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 22 November 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

Pandemic: Season one is brilliant keeps my one group of friends totally engaged they texted me when they get to play. A minor miracle as this is more of the people that just like to go out to bars to drink.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 22 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

#212 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 09 November 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

I have two massive strategy games waiting from Kickstarter. Rising Sun and Gods War. Gods War was supposed to arrive in august, but has been pushed back to q1 2018, which means it will arrive around the same time as Rising Sun. It's a shame, I had hoped to have one for christmas.

God's War was the Sandy Petersen 'Glorantha' game, right?
I was looking at it, in the end decided not to jump on because it a) would probably never get played from start to finish (which is a shame) :p it seems best with 4-6 players and we never get to that number.
We started playing Gloomhaven (2nd edition). So far, it's a blast, although every game there's a few rules I noticed we got wrong. Still, the main mechanics are surprisingly easy, versatile and cool.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#213 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostTapper, on 24 November 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 09 November 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

God's War was the Sandy Petersen 'Glorantha' game, right?
I was looking at it, in the end decided not to jump on because it a) would probably never get played from start to finish (which is a shame) :p it seems best with 4-6 players and we never get to that number.
We started playing Gloomhaven (2nd edition). So far, it's a blast, although every game there's a few rules I noticed we got wrong. Still, the main mechanics are surprisingly easy, versatile and cool.

Gloomhaven sounds really cool. Alas I try to keep to two kickstarters at a time.

#214 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Gloomhaven is on the list. Good to hear the positive feedback. Is it very RPG or is it more casual? I do like quest-style/storyline games, but I'm not big on massive artistic DM input to come up with the adventure settings and events, or lots of 'interpretation/consensus' when applying the game rules.

#215 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Describing gloomhaven as an RPG is a bit misleading. It has rpg trappings, levelling up your character, an ongoing story line, magic and you fight demons but the actual gameplay is essentially a deck management game. There is virtually no interpretation or story building aspect in the core game, though you could easily add it. it's a great game though as tapper said the number of rules is daunting.

#216 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 25 November 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

Describing gloomhaven as an RPG is a bit misleading. It has rpg trappings, levelling up your character, an ongoing story line, magic and you fight demons but the actual gameplay is essentially a deck management game. There is virtually no interpretation or story building aspect in the core game, though you could easily add it. it's a great game though as tapper said the number of rules is daunting.

I have been hearing gloomhaven is akin to diablo ? I have it on order so expect it wayyy later this year.

I played terraforming mars and warhammer: shadespire a bunch this weekend. Next week hopefully will be pandemic and blood rage.

Terraforming mars was done with some alchohol involved so naturally took ages to come to agreement of said exact rules. :p

#217 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Darnit, I hesistated thinking that a black Friday special that lasted till sunday would still be around on cyber Monday. It wasn't. So I lost out on ticket to ride at half off

#218 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Which version of Ticket to Ride?

#219 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostGorefest, on 27 November 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Which version of Ticket to Ride?

eUROPE

#220 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

Cool, that's the best one in my opinion. It has the addition of the tunnels and the ferries, which was lacking in the original US version and which makes for more diverse gameplay..

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users