• « First
  • Last »

An actual proper release date for aDwD Allegedly. Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 March 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

i'll believe it ten minutes after the book is in my hands.

I'm just curious why the transition from hands to brain will take 10 minutes....
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#62 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 March 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm just curious why the transition from hands to brain will take 10 minutes....

Take a while to see through all the drool?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#63 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 07 March 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

Knowing you 'byss, that'll be 3 months after the rest of us.

Die. Just die.

View Postwolf_2099, on 07 March 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 07 March 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

Take a while to see through all the drool?

Suspension of disbelief.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#64 User is offline   Skinner 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'm also a little dubious but this time the man himself confirmed it, so I'd be inclined to raise my hopes up a few notches for once. Maybe timing the book release with the TV series doesn't hurt the bottom line either :rofl:

How many years has it been? I think I've moved apartments, cities and countries multiple times since A Feast for Crows came out.

#65 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

Both A Dance with Dragons AND Duke Nukem Forever coming out this year?
Is Jesus also booked for this year?

#66 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 07 March 2011 - 10:32 PM, said:

There's also this which has been in development for 40 years.

#67 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

With a 5 million dollar budget which it seems was just being made to be able to hold onto the rights.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#68 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:56 AM

I believe that's booked for 2012.

#69 User is offline   FastBen 

• Alchemist
  • Interests:My spec. fiction reviews here at: http://speculativebookreview.blogspot.com/

Also Check out my Tumblr review site, reviewing everything under the sun:

http://dachaublues.tumblr.com/
  • # "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

I am humiliated for the people involved with this film.
  • "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

#70 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

View PostWerthead, on 05 March 2011 - 09:54 PM, said:

Not this again.

The publishers do not own the rights to A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Martin does, and when he passes away they fall to his literary heirs, who have already committed to not allowing anyone else to finish the series. Maybe their heirs, decades from now, will sell the rights on and allow a sequel to be written, but it's either that or wait for the copyright to expire.

More to the point, there are absolutely no notes or outlines of the kind that Jordan left behind for the last WoT book(s) that made it even remotely possible for Sanderson to finish the series. Without those notes, any conclusion to ASoIaF would be fanfiction and guesswork, and why the hell should anyone be interested in paying money for fanfiction when they can read it on the Internet for free?

Sorry Wert, what was that? I - and more importantly Martin's heirs - couldn't quite hear you over the sound of the truckload of money being backed up to their place ... :rofl:

So he doesn't have notes? I'm sure he does have conversations, brainstorming sessions with his mates/editors etc. After the near-disaster with RJ, I have heard that nervous publishing houses demand projected outlines at least these days. Might not be widely spoken of, but there you go. Makes sense really, as who - having invested millions - would trust GRRM when he says "Nah, it's all cool, got it all in my head. Well, a bit of it so far anyway. Until I change it ..."?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#71 User is offline   Tyr 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostGothos, on 07 March 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

the LotR setting is VERY good. The story, the characters, dialogue, battle - just don't get me started. It's genre-defining work, sure, but as stories, LotR just doesn't offer the caliber of ASOIAF, MBOTF or Mistborn, at least how I see it.
Now don't get me wrong, it's a great thing to have happened (even if I'd have to be threathened with bodily harm to ever read the books again, bar Silmarillion), but it's in no way the Alpha and Omega.

I hated GotM and it was still better than The Hobbit, Fellowship and Two Towers (ugh, the horror).

Tolkien may be the the most well known progenitor of fantasy, but the genre has evolved, and there are far, far better works out there now.

#72 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

I just wanted to say that it's Heresy to compare aSoIaF and MBotF to Mistborn. Sanderson's writing quality isn't anywhere near that of Martin or Erikson. In my head, I picture Sanderson writing his books with one of those 2 foot long, thick, number two pencils with inspirational religious verses printed on it while Martin uses a normal pen and paper and Erikson uses an elaborate quill pen.

#73 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostSombra, on 08 March 2011 - 07:32 AM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 05 March 2011 - 09:54 PM, said:

Not this again.

The publishers do not own the rights to A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Martin does, and when he passes away they fall to his literary heirs, who have already committed to not allowing anyone else to finish the series. ...

Sorry Wert, what was that? I - and more importantly Martin's heirs - couldn't quite hear you over the sound of the truckload of money being backed up to their place...

QFT.

Obviously we're not going to assassinate GRMM to settle this debate, but i say $ trumps artistic integrity.

#74 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 08 March 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

View PostSkinner, on 07 March 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

I'm also a little dubious but this time the man himself confirmed it, so I'd be inclined to raise my hopes up a few notches for once. Maybe timing the book release with the TV series doesn't hurt the bottom line either :rofl:

How many years has it been? I think I've moved apartments, cities and countries multiple times since A Feast for Crows came out.

Coming up on 6 full yrs I think. I think it was middle of 05 for AFFC.

in Canada, it was released around xmass 05. I was in my first year of undergrad and snatched it up right before the holidays.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#75 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'll probably buy it... only read the first one so far.

#76 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

This is a good point. But how big is the hardback? Because I have doubts that they actually need to split them up. The paperbacks from A Storm of Swords between them are shorter than, say, an individual volume of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. I heard Martin talk about "physical printing limits", but that sounded like an excuse to me - I've seen bigger paperbacks. Money-making ploy?

Formatting and font size. Actually, A Storm of Swords is an eye-opening 70,000 words longer than The Reality Dysfunction (maybe 30,000 longer than The Naked God). If you really want to get puzzled, Jordan's The Shadow Rising is 392,000 words, which is longer than any of Erikson's books (though only just), but a clear 250 pages shorter than MoI/BH/RG/TTH/DoD in mmpb. And the font size doesn't seem to be much different.

As for which books get split and which don't, it's down to their printers, and some printers are far less flexible than others. Bantam UK (Erikson), Arrow (Diana Gabaldon) and Pan Macmillan (Hamilton) can print 1,300-page paperbacks, whilst Voyager (Martin) and Gollancz (Sanderson) can't. Gollancz split Martin's Dreamsongs and they're going to split The Way of Kings in paperback. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't split The Wise Man's Fear as well.

One contact from my blog has even claimed to have spoken to HarperCollins' printers (somehow) and apparently they got pretty irritable at the suggestion they could put ASoS and ADWD into one volume in paperback, and when it was pointed out that other publishers could print bigger books in one volume with no problem they abruptly left the conversation. So greed, yes, but from the printers to the publishers, not the publishers to the public.

Sorry Wert, what was that? I - and more importantly Martin's heirs - couldn't quite hear you over the sound of the truckload of money being backed up to their place ... :rofl:

So you'd gladly pay to read some random author's fanfiction idea of how ASoIaF ends? That's weird.

So he doesn't have notes? I'm sure he does have conversations, brainstorming sessions with his mates/editors etc.

You'd be wrong. He's told the TV producers 'something' about a couple of the mysteries to the series, but only enough for them to cobble together an ending off their own back, not an outline he himself is committed to following. As for the rest, no. He's discussed plans for WILD CARDS and his anthologies with his writer's group but ASoIaF is apparently not talked about.

I have heard that nervous publishing houses demand projected outlines at least these days.

They can demand all they want. When you reach Martin's sales bracket (individual books selling better than Pratchett and not far off Jordan), the author dictates terms to the publishers, not vice versa :rofl:

Makes sense really, as who - having invested millions - would trust GRRM when he says "Nah, it's all cool, got it all in my head. Well, a bit of it so far anyway. Until I change it ..."?

Maybe they don't trust him (I imagine they certainly take his estimates with a pinch of salt) but what are they going to do? "Sorry George, an outline or we won't publish the book! Hang on, come back! No, don't go to Tor, we're sorry!"
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#77 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

View PostWerthead, on 08 March 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

Formatting and font size. Actually, A Storm of Swords is an eye-opening 70,000 words longer than The Reality Dysfunction (maybe 30,000 longer than The Naked God). If you really want to get puzzled, Jordan's The Shadow Rising is 392,000 words, which is longer than any of Erikson's books (though only just), but a clear 250 pages shorter than MoI/BH/RG/TTH/DoD in mmpb. And the font size doesn't seem to be much different.

As for which books get split and which don't, it's down to their printers, and some printers are far less flexible than others. Bantam UK (Erikson), Arrow (Diana Gabaldon) and Pan Macmillan (Hamilton) can print 1,300-page paperbacks, whilst Voyager (Martin) and Gollancz (Sanderson) can't. Gollancz split Martin's Dreamsongs and they're going to split The Way of Kings in paperback. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't split The Wise Man's Fear as well.

One contact from my blog has even claimed to have spoken to HarperCollins' printers (somehow) and apparently they got pretty irritable at the suggestion they could put ASoS and ADWD into one volume in paperback, and when it was pointed out that other publishers could print bigger books in one volume with no problem they abruptly left the conversation. So greed, yes, but from the printers to the publishers, not the publishers to the public.
These books are even longer but many of them can be easily bought as one volume, e.g. War & Peace and Atlas Shrugged: http://en.wikipedia....illic_alphabets
I am the Onyx Wizards

#78 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM, said:

This is a good point. But how big is the hardback? Because I have doubts that they actually need to split them up. The paperbacks from A Storm of Swords between them are shorter than, say, an individual volume of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. I heard Martin talk about "physical printing limits", but that sounded like an excuse to me - I've seen bigger paperbacks. Money-making ploy?

That is crazy, I had no idea about Shadow Rising. Sounds conspiratorial to me!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#79 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

George's editor holding the MS for ADWD:

Posted Image

That's pretty big. And the hardcover should be about half as thick, considering the MS is single-paged. That's still massive.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#80 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

Sorry Wert, what was that? I - and more importantly Martin's heirs - couldn't quite hear you over the sound of the truckload of money being backed up to their place ... ;)

So you'd gladly pay to read some random author's fanfiction idea of how ASoIaF ends? That's weird.

How is a published work post-humously continuing an author's story any different from what's been done to WoT, Middle-earth, Dune or Bourne, to name the obvious ones?

Sure sure the authors all left copious notes no doubt setting out everything so the new author, in Dune and Mid-earth's case with the help of the no doubt awesomely talented family member who somehow eluded publication previously, is merely assembling some adjectives and perhaps a transitionary paragraph or two...

I am far from buying that a story is quality just because a publisher decides to release it to the public with a cover and a marketing campaign, but its far from fanfiction, the moreso if an actual author with some amount of talent is doing it. Or are you going to suggest that if, by some weird convergence, GRRM kicked and SE was hired to finish the series, you wouldn't be right there drooling with the rest of us? (or conversely horrified if it was, say, Christopher Golden or whoever, but i digress...)

View PostWerthead, on 17 March 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

George's editor holding the MS for ADWD:

Posted Image

That's pretty big. And the hardcover should be about half as thick, considering the MS is single-paged. That's still massive.

Wow... that's almost encouraging!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users