• 8 Pages +
  • Last »

An actual proper release date for aDwD Allegedly. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#22 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Looking forward to it. If it gets delayed that would be a bummer but I'll still read it whenever it comes out. I'll have to do a series re-read beforehand though.

#23 User is offline   Kilgore Trout 

• Recruit

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

AFFC was about various sorts of avian food, right?

#24 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 03 March 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

I think I'm going to watch the TV series, then re-read the rest of the books, then get this one. That way I should be able to buy it in paperback :)

You can buy it in paperback if you like spending more money :) ADWD is going to be two volumes in paperback in the UK, so £18 in paperback versus the hardcover, which you'll likely be able to get discounted heavily on release, (maybe just £10 if Waterstones do a Crippled God-style promotion for it).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#25 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

View PostKilgore Trout, on 03 March 2011 - 09:25 PM, said:

AFFC was about various sorts of avian food, right?

On rereads, there are some chapters where I catch myself thinking it might as well have been...
Spoiler
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Cicero: 03 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

true, but the Ironmen parts still rock
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

View PostMentalist, on 03 March 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Right on. And I was one of the few who was elated over Dorne. Especially with that pay-off. Doran Martell - gouty badass.

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#28 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

View PostCicero, on 03 March 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 03 March 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Right on. And I was one of the few who was elated over Dorne. Especially with that pay-off. Doran Martell - gouty badass.

Word
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:17 AM

I'll be getting this once from the library whenever I can.

I'm interested enough to try reading it, but I don't have enough faith it'll be finished (the series), or that'll be good to go out and buy it.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#30 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

I am also looking forward to this. I first found ASoIaF while waiting for another one of SE's books and he has managed to finish a 10 book series before GRRM has finished a 4, no 5, no 6, no 7 book series. Does anyone know a good place to go to get a summery of the books? I, like everyone else, have forgotten everything and I do not have time to re-read the series before this comes out.

#31 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

There's a decent summary of each book on their Wikipedia pages? I guess you could try there, or go over to Westeros.

This post has been edited by MTS: 04 March 2011 - 06:48 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#32 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

I think this is probably a final release date. It would be a colossal faux pas on Martin's behalf if he fails to deliver it on 12/07/2011, especially having assured fans that previous dates were 'rough' and that this was crystal clear certain. But still, it's not like he hasn't faux pased before on the release date issue. Though he'd recently said he'd already written over 1300 pages, so if it isn't coming close to completion now, I don't think it'll be. Besides, he's moved somee chapters to The Winds of Winter, so that book shouldn't take too long considering he's already got material, right... right?:)

Additionally, I realised that in the time it has taken Martin to write this one book, Erikson has written half of tMBoF. OK, they're two different paradigms of fantasy writer speedwise, but still.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#33 User is offline   ThinkingMalaz 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm not holding my breath till he actually finishes the book, but Martin seems pretty darn serious this time... Let's just hope he is

#34 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

View PostD, on 04 March 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

I don't think it'll be. Besides, he's moved somee chapters to The Winds of Winter, so that book shouldn't take too long considering he's already got material, right... right?:)

This seem familiar. Does this seem familiar to anyone else?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#35 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostBriar King, on 04 March 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

View Postwolf_2099, on 04 March 2011 - 06:30 PM, said:

I don't think it'll be. Besides, he's moved somee chapters to The Winds of Winter, so that book shouldn't take too long considering he's already got material, right... right?:)

I wonder what the acceptable lenght of time passing from ADWD to book 6 will be for fans to start frothing at the mouth and bitching for it. lol

It's less about an acceptable length of time, and more about miscommunication or poor communication or lack of communication. I'm going to be itching to get it as soon as I finish ADwD, no doubt, but I won't froth or bitch unless he plays the same game he did with ADwD - make promises of delivery (starting with an afterword, no less) time and time again, keep missing them, and then go off the radar almost altogether. That more than anything is what's driven me mad.

#36 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'll believe it when I see it on the bookshelves in the local bookstore. I'll have to fit in a reread of the entire series prior to reading aDwD. GRRM said that the book isn't finished but that he, his editors, and publishers where confident enough to set a date. Not holding my breath. Back to reading tCG.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#37 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

View PostCicero, on 04 March 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

I wonder what the acceptable lenght of time passing from ADWD to book 6 will be for fans to start frothing at the mouth and bitching for it. lol

It's less about an acceptable length of time, and more about miscommunication or poor communication or lack of communication. I'm going to be itching to get it as soon as I finish ADwD, no doubt, but I won't froth or bitch unless he plays the same game he did with ADwD - make promises of delivery (starting with an afterword, no less) time and time again, keep missing them, and then go off the radar almost altogether. That more than anything is what's driven me mad.

2 years for the next book, 3 would be okay, anything longer than that and I'd get frustrated again.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#38 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

View Postwolf_2099, on 05 March 2011 - 06:22 AM, said:

View PostCicero, on 04 March 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

2 years for the next book, 3 would be okay, anything longer than that and I'd get frustrated again.

I could wait three years. And I'm with Ciceronian - no false hope please GRRM and publishers.

Anyone else worried GRRM might die before he finishes the series? I mean I hope the man lives a long, healthy and happy life, but he's getting older now, and taking a heck of a long time to write the books.

I'm not sure who else could finish the series anywhere near as well as Martin.

Sure Sanderson has proven a new author can do a fine job finshing someone else's series, but ASOI&F really is a step above WOT (as much as I enjoy WOT).

#39 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostBombur, on 05 March 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Sure Sanderson has proven a new author can do a fine job finshing someone else's series, but ASOI&F really is a step above WOT (as much as I enjoy WOT).

George has said that he wouldn't want anyone else finishing it.

I think Daniel Abraham could do it best, but I doubt he'd want to.
"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#40 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

View PostSlick Mongoose, on 05 March 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostBombur, on 05 March 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

George has said that he wouldn't want anyone else finishing it.

I think Daniel Abraham could do it best, but I doubt he'd want to.

I guess all there would be to do then is publish the notes and any partial or completed chapters? And mourn the passing of GRRM and ASOI&F.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users