• Last »

An actual proper release date for aDwD Allegedly. Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostSlick Mongoose, on 05 March 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostBombur, on 05 March 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

I'm not sure who else could finish the series anywhere near as well as Martin.

Sure Sanderson has proven a new author can do a fine job finshing someone else's series, but ASOI&F really is a step above WOT (as much as I enjoy WOT).

George has said that he wouldn't want anyone else finishing it.

I think Daniel Abraham could do it best, but I doubt he'd want to.

I think Daniel would want to. He's already writing the graphic novel adaptation so he doesn't have a problem writing in someone else's world. If GRRM changes his mind, I guarantee Daniel Abraham is the one he would want to finish. I doubt he'll change his mind though.

#42 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 05 March 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

I think Daniel would want to. He's already writing the graphic novel adaptation so he doesn't have a problem writing in someone else's world. If GRRM changes his mind, I guarantee Daniel Abraham is the one he would want to finish. I doubt he'll change his mind though.

GRRM has already demonstrated his ability to stick to a projection is shit, so I figure it would be the same in this case. I don't care what clauses he may have in any contracts about no-one else being allowed to finish aSoIaF if he kicks early, money talks and bullshit walks.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#43 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Geez, I saw that news on Facebook. My reaction was as follows:

Posted Image

I still refuse to believe, though. I shall believe when it's in my hands.

This post has been edited by Harvester: 05 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

#44 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Not this again.

The publishers do not own the rights to A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Martin does, and when he passes away they fall to his literary heirs, who have already committed to not allowing anyone else to finish the series. Maybe their heirs, decades from now, will sell the rights on and allow a sequel to be written, but it's either that or wait for the copyright to expire.

More to the point, there are absolutely no notes or outlines of the kind that Jordan left behind for the last WoT book(s) that made it even remotely possible for Sanderson to finish the series. Without those notes, any conclusion to ASoIaF would be fanfiction and guesswork, and why the hell should anyone be interested in paying money for fanfiction when they can read it on the Internet for free?
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#45 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

View PostTavvar, on 04 March 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

I am also looking forward to this. I first found ASoIaF while waiting for another one of SE's books and he has managed to finish a 10 book series before GRRM has finished a 4, no 5, no 6, no 7 book series. Does anyone know a good place to go to get a summery of the books? I, like everyone else, have forgotten everything and I do not have time to re-read the series before this comes out.

Better , I have a spoiler summary for the whole series

Spoiler

#46 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

Anyway, marketing information on ADWD:

(courtesy from Jussi over on SFFWorld)

The wait is over! Years in the making, #1 bestelling author George R. R. Martin delivers the highly anticipated A Dance with Dragons—the fifth book in his critically-acclaimed A Song of Ice and Fire series, now a major new series coming soon from HBO. A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the most beloved and bestselling series in fantasy, and fans have been waiting for this book with rabid anticipation. A Dance With Dragons is more of the dark, epic fantasy that has led Time magazine to call Martin "The American Tolkien." Functioning hand-in-hand with its companion volume, A Feast for Crows, A Dance with Dragons picks up the tales of those both in the north of the kingdom and across the seas, both completing a picture, reuniting a narrative arc, and ushering in a whole new era for the history of the Seven Kingdoms.

Key Points
EAGERLY AWAITED: The anticipation for this book is palpable. Now we can finally give his devoted legion of fans an answer!

HE'S #1: Martin has entered the exclusive ranks of the #1 bestselling authors, a stand-out achievement for any author.

NUMBERS DON'T LIE: There are almost 4.3 million copies of A Song of Ice and Fire in print, plus more than 125K in eBook sales!

NOW A MAJOR SERIES COMING SOON TO HBO: HBO has wrapped production of the Game of Thrones television series, with an impressive cast including Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Lena Headey, and Peter Dinklage, set to release April 17, 2011. Early viewings have the critics buzzing about this highly anticipated show. View the HBO trailer at: MakingGameOfThrones.com

NEW FANS COMING TO THE SERIES: Since the HBO series has been announced, sales of the backlist titles have spiked, and A Game of Thrones recently hit the New York Times extended list in mass market—its first appearance on that list!

PAPERBACK BACKLIST REPACKAGES AVAILABLE MARCH 22: A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows will all be beautifully repackaged in trade and mass. Game of Thrones is additionally available in trade and mass editions with HBO tie in art.

MASS MARKET BOX SET AVAILABLE MARCH 22: With a lavishly designed slipcase featuring HBO tie-in art (Contains 1 copy each of A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows).

Redesigned author website: GeorgeRRMartin.com, grrm.livejournal.com
National review and feature attention
National media attention
National and local radio and TV interviews
NPR interviews<li>Radio phone interviews
Online review and feature attention<li>Online interviews with author
Author tour: markets tk
Author appearance at Comic Con (tt)
National TV advertising
Rich media banner campaign
Major targeted online ad campaign
Library marketing
Extensive pre-order campaign
Convention promotion at San Diego Comic-Con (7/11) and New York Comic Con (10/11)
Cross-promotion with HBO
Promotional consumer giveaway

Nice, a redesigned website! The current design is fairly old now, so cool to see if it gets updated to something stronger.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#47 User is offline   Tyr 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostCobbles, on 05 March 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostTavvar, on 04 March 2011 - 05:52 AM, said:

I am also looking forward to this. I first found ASoIaF while waiting for another one of SE's books and he has managed to finish a 10 book series before GRRM has finished a 4, no 5, no 6, no 7 book series. Does anyone know a good place to go to get a summery of the books? I, like everyone else, have forgotten everything and I do not have time to re-read the series before this comes out.

Better , I have a spoiler summary for the whole series

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tyr: 06 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

#48 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

In an Entertainment Weekly post, Martin's US & UK editors said they had manuscripts on their desks that were only missing the last chapter or two, and they know what the status of those two chapters are. So it is definitely a go. This is not a false release date. We're gonna be dancing with dragons in July.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#49 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

With GRRM's track record of how long it takes him to write an aSoIaF book and his current age and apparent health status, I won't put money down on him finishing his magnum opus.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#50 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 March 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

View Postcaladanbrood, on 03 March 2011 - 04:55 PM, said:

I think I'm going to watch the TV series, then re-read the rest of the books, then get this one. That way I should be able to buy it in paperback :rofl:

You can buy it in paperback if you like spending more money :rofl: ADWD is going to be two volumes in paperback in the UK, so £18 in paperback versus the hardcover, which you'll likely be able to get discounted heavily on release, (maybe just £10 if Waterstones do a Crippled God-style promotion for it).

This is a good point. But how big is the hardback? Because I have doubts that they actually need to split them up. The paperbacks from A Storm of Swords between them are shorter than, say, an individual volume of the Night's Dawn Trilogy. I heard Martin talk about "physical printing limits", but that sounded like an excuse to me - I've seen bigger paperbacks. Money-making ploy?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#51 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

I sure hope this ain't a tease.
I'll also be ordering it in english, a first for me in this series (I got hooked on it when Storm of Swords was already long released, and didn't have the spare cash when Feast for Crows came out).

I hope we get to see more of Daenerys. And perhaps some more insight into the eastern continent and it's geography! And the world's geography in general - the goddamn seasons are crazy!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#52 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

View PostGothos, on 07 March 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

I sure hope this ain't a tease.

I hope we get to see more of Daenerys.

I hope we get to see MUCH more of Daenerys in the tv series, and more than just a tease. *ahem*

:rofl:

This post has been edited by Bombur: 07 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

#53 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

An American Tolkien? really? really??

Love ASOIAF as much as the next fantasy nerd boy, but that appellation is a step too far.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#54 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

Why do people keep insisting Tolkien is still the best guy in the industry? All respect and everything, but the genre has evolved far beyond Middle Earth.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#55 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

View PostGothos, on 07 March 2011 - 02:56 PM, said:

Why do people keep insisting Tolkien is still the best guy in the industry? All respect and everything, but the genre has evolved far beyond Middle Earth.

It's pretty much because Tolkien and LotRs is still a massive and beloved pop culture phenomenon, moreso than any modern fantasies bar HP - but that's YA fantasy. Thus it occupies the slot of best or definitive fantasy in the popular consciousness.

Plus, well, LotRs is VERY good. IMO.

Though don't worry, it's about to be overtaken.... BY TWILIGHT! (at least for tweenie girls and their mums)

Also, if they hailed GRRM as the American Erikson people would be like: huh? who? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

This post has been edited by Bombur: 07 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

#56 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

the LotR setting is VERY good. The story, the characters, dialogue, battle - just don't get me started. It's genre-defining work, sure, but as stories, LotR just doesn't offer the caliber of ASOIAF, MBOTF or Mistborn, at least how I see it.
Now don't get me wrong, it's a great thing to have happened (even if I'd have to be threathened with bodily harm to ever read the books again, bar Silmarillion), but it's in no way the Alpha and Omega.

#57 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:40 PM

View PostGothos, on 07 March 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

the LotR setting is VERY good. The story, the characters, dialogue, battle - just don't get me started. It's genre-defining work, sure, but as stories, LotR just doesn't offer the caliber of ASOIAF, MBOTF or Mistborn, at least how I see it.
Now don't get me wrong, it's a great thing to have happened (even if I'd have to be threathened with bodily harm to ever read the books again, bar Silmarillion), but it's in no way the Alpha and Omega.

ASOI&F and MBotF are amazing too (can't agree with you on Mistborn). And yeah LotRs is neither the Alpha nor Omega of fantasy, but it looms BIG in most people's minds when it comes to fantasy. It's not that there's nothing out there that could challenge it in terms of quality, but that nothing that can has gripped the public imagination like LotRs has done. Though GRRM with his bestsellerness plus this TV series and subsequent increase in readership could make some in-roads into Tolkien's mantle.

#58 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Gothos's reasoning is partly why I think the comparison is silly.

My comment wasn't putting Tolkien on a pedestal, but merely commenting on the comparison.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

i'll believe it ten minutes after the book is in my hands.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#60 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Knowing you 'byss, that'll be 3 months after the rest of us.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users