• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#4261 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:06 PM

I've not been into fighting games since the 90s but teenage Apt would have loved that Tekken trailer. Makes me wish I had the time and energy to practice like I used to.

I thought the Rise of Ronin game looked interesting. Specifically there was that scene where he uses some kind of DaVinci kite and you get a look at the city. It gave me Assassin's Creed 2 vibes. Hopefully it's more adventure action and less Nioh souls bullshit.

God of War trailer was dope as usual. I really should try and replay the first game. Maybe one of the best narrative based AAA games ever? Maybe the best? Maybe it's Maybelline.

#4262 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:07 PM

View PostMentalist, on 14 September 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

State of play yesterday.

Tekken 8 is a thing.

I will play the SHIT out of Tekken 8. Bring me back Hwoarang and I will spend hours perfecting him in this game as I have done in every other Tekken game since Tekken 3 where he was introduced.

View PostMentalist, on 14 September 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

Also, Sony continues to publish Team Ninja games- and now they are making a "Ghost of the Last Samurai"- except it's called "Rise of the Ronin".

This one looked dope to me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4263 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 September 2022 - 05:06 PM, said:

I've not been into fighting games since the 90s but teenage Apt would have loved that Tekken trailer. Makes me wish I had the time and energy to practice like I used to.

I thought the Rise of Ronin game looked interesting. Specifically there was that scene where he uses some kind of DaVinci kite and you get a look at the city. It gave me Assassin's Creed 2 vibes. Hopefully it's more adventure action and less Nioh souls bullshit.

God of War trailer was dope as usual. I really should try and replay the first game. Maybe one of the best narrative based AAA games ever? Maybe the best? Maybe it's Maybelline.

I'm pretty sure Rise of Ronin is going for a Ghost of Tsushima-style design, only "The last Samurai" instead of the Mongol invasion. They've got Wo Long as their new Soulsy title.

I didn't watch the God of War 5 trailer, b/c I'm yet to play 4. It's sitting in my Steam library, waiting its turn.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4264 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:20 PM

You should prioritize God of War. It's one of those games that raises the standard of your expectations for what AAA means. Gameplay, design, animations, writing, voice actors, it's all fantastic.

#4265 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:26 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 September 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

You should prioritize God of War. It's one of those games that raises the standard of your expectations for what AAA means. Gameplay, design, animations, writing, voice actors, it's all fantastic.

I admit to have never played ANY of them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4266 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:39 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 September 2022 - 05:06 PM, said:

The new trailer for the story gave me goosebumps... been gaming since the Amstrad cpc 464 and hands down GoW PS4 is my all time favourite game. I am slowly replaying it on give me god of war difficulty. Such an epic game that holds up on a replay.

I've booked the week off for when Ragnorak releases.

edit

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2022 - 05:26 PM, said:

You can play PS4 GoW without playing any of the others though there are a couple of story beats that won't be as impactful...

If you were tempted I'd just watch the story for games 1 + 2, GoW 3 remake is canny and worth a play if you have the time. GoW PS4 is a must play if you're just a gaming fan in general.

This post has been edited by champ: 14 September 2022 - 05:42 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4267 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:54 PM

View Postchamp, on 14 September 2022 - 05:39 PM, said:

You can play PS4 GoW without playing any of the others though there are a couple of story beats that won't be as impactful...

If you were tempted I'd just watch the story for games 1 + 2, GoW 3 remake is canny and worth a play if you have the time. GoW PS4 is a must play if you're just a gaming fan in general.

Sounds good. I'll look into it.

#4268 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2022 - 05:26 PM, said:

Like Champ says, you can skip the PS2/PS3 era God of Wars. There's some character growth and heavy story events you won't get but 2018 God of War is a soft reboot.

Old PS2/PS3 God of War is a different kind of game. Really dude bro, over the top action fighting game, mixing 2D elements with 3D environments. GOW3 on PS3 did move in the direction of something more heavy but the DNA was the same.

New GOW is an over the shoulder third person action adventure game, with much more mature themes and masterful story telling direction.

#4269 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:37 PM

GoW III was insane. The design choices brought to that game were absolutely mental. I don't think anyone was doing that at the time.

Don't recall much in the way of any meaningful connection GoW III had with God of War (2018) except for obvious things <no spoilers> that really were basically fanservice type stuff. 2018 GoW should be able to be played without any worry you're missing something by not playing the earlier titles. I've only previously played GoW III so maybe I'm off the mark, but God of War is just too good to have a completist attitude before delving in.

#4270 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 September 2022 - 07:17 PM

My steamdeck finally came through, just in time for most of my traveling to be done. Nevertheless I think it’s time to finally Witcher. I never played any of them.

Should I jump straight to 3 or will I be missing out too much not playing 1 and 2. Do they stand up?

#4271 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 September 2022 - 07:30 PM

View PostCause, on 18 September 2022 - 07:17 PM, said:

My steamdeck finally came through, just in time for most of my traveling to be done. Nevertheless I think it’s time to finally Witcher. I never played any of them.

Should I jump straight to 3 or will I be missing out too much not playing 1 and 2. Do they stand up?

Unless you use an aggressive amount of mods I don't think you'll enjoy Witcher 1 now a days.

Witcher 2 might be worth trying out, since it was a big step towards a more mainstream "Console RPG" experience. It was a really beautiful and impressive game when it came out.

But to be honest, I'd just jump straight to Witcher 3. From my recollection, I barely remember the first games when I played W3 and what you need to know will be explained or can be googled. Consider downloading some mods.

#4272 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 September 2022 - 09:57 PM

I started with Witcher 3. Honestly I don't recall ever feeling I missed anything (I think I may have looked up some background on some of the main characters and factions/cultures you encounter). You should be ok to jump in.

I've done this with other game series to - first Fallout game I played was Fallout 4. There are GameTubers you can find that will get you all caught up if you feel you need to know how things begun at the beginning.

BTW, Witcher 3 is up there in my top games. I try not to number my all time favorite games, but I would say it is in the top 5, easy.

#4273 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 19 September 2022 - 06:07 AM

I loved the Witcher 2 when I played it, (but 3 is so much better, and bigger) but the stories of 2 and 3 feel just loosely connected. If you start with the Witcher 1 or 2, some of the most important main characters of 3 will be new to you as well. I would also say, start with 3, no problem. You can watch a review of 2 to see if you want to play it first.

#4274 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 19 September 2022 - 06:23 AM

Return to Money Island coming out today. I did a pre-order, looking forward to it!

#4275 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 19 September 2022 - 06:58 AM

View PostCause, on 18 September 2022 - 07:17 PM, said:

My steamdeck finally came through, just in time for most of my traveling to be done. Nevertheless I think it's time to finally Witcher. I never played any of them.

I'm a blatant Witcher fanboy, but I think they both stand up - at least story-wise and engagement-wise - if not for their combat system. I think I enjoy Witcher 2 over Witcher 3 these days. Still, I'd probably recommend playing 3 first and then going back to the earlier titles if you enjoy it, you don't miss much playing out of order. And if the story in 3 gets you hooked, then you'll probably enjoy the first two despite their mechanical flaws.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 19 September 2022 - 06:59 AM

#4276 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:27 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4277 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2022 - 06:45 PM

I decided to relay me3 on steamdeck because while I have tried to replay it once and never finished it is actually otherwise a game I have never replayed.

I remember the controversy around the ending but now years later I can also say it just doesn’t hold up. The story in me3 is weaker than 2. The gameplay is Avery’s Rand at times I found it boring. I also now can see how not importing a me2 save game makes the story even worse as I failed multiple reputation checks to save old squad mates etc. my play through was honestly kind of a disaster. Also partly my fault because I new the story I didn’t do some chats in time which caused me to have to shoot kaidan and the salarian councilor got killed.

Me2 I think remains the stand out shining example.

I also see me1 got remastered for the collection but I remember even back when 2 was out thinking as much as I liked the game when it first came out mass effect never struck me as being worthy replay.

#4278 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:50 AM

Twitch seems to be doing its utmost to die / drive away its userbase.

Recently they changed their revenue split to 50/50 meaning a fair amount of streamers suddenly lost 20% of their income, as well as that they're now withdrawing support for browsers that aren't Edge, Chrome or Firefox, which means people are largely lumped with browsers that absolutely HOG processor . Lots of folk going to Youtube because of it.

Now Youtube isn't necessarily better, they have a much steeper monetisation curve and are much stricter on cracking down / demonetising for stuff to start, and they also are much more finnicky to stream for (you have to set everything up beforehand, whereas Twitch is literally link account and press one button), but it's much nicer as a viewer to use Youtube. I suppose we'll have to see if Twitch backpedals off of a migrating userbase in reply to their shittery.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4279 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:49 PM

Stadia comes to an end; Google will shut it down. Forget I hardly knew ye, I didn't know ye at all. So, what did they do wrong?

#4280 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:34 PM

Think it ll happen to Steamdeck to? I still want one of those.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users