• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#4241 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 August 2022 - 01:35 PM

I enjoyed FTL but that Last Boss thing was utter bullshit. Never managed a run where I was equipped to kill it.

#4242 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 04 September 2022 - 04:56 PM

I enjoyed Stray, good length and great environments to traverse from a cats perspective.

I want somewhere interesting to explore.

Have finished.. The Forest. Stray. Elden Ring. Subnautica. Ghost of Tsushima (still have some dlc but want a change)
RD2 annoys me (law system)

Ideally I'd like more exploring and less combat.

How is AC Odyssey for travelling about doing quests? Too much AC story? I went off AC ages back; beautiful environments but plagued with awful missions and no interaction with npcs and all that animus BS. The setting on Odyssey has me tempted as it's a long way from feudal Japan and the fantasy setting of Elden Ring.
I expect there's none of the freedom to roam and interact with folk or rest, eat, hunt etc which I really like.

I'll probably just finish up Ghost.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4243 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 September 2022 - 06:57 PM

Odyssey is awesome for just running around. It's a beautiful setting and absolutely massive too.

I'm a third way through the story but level 50 as all I did was explore the full map, do side quests, side bosses and hunt items. That level you can pretty much do what you want on the map.

Aye, it's typical AC quests, forts and NPC interaction but the setting makes up for it. The only interference you get on the map is higher level areas and mercenaries hunting you down if you do bad shit but it's good to be bad as those fights are fun.

I need to get back to this game actually!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4244 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 September 2022 - 07:48 PM

A challenge, if you choose to accept it - play Assassin's Creed Valhalla and get all the Thor armor pieces and fully upgrade them. Furthermore, track down Mjolnir, Gungnir (Odin's spear) and Excalibur (and fully upgrade them, obvi).

My favorite loadout was to duel wield Mjolnir and Excalibur.

#4245 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 September 2022 - 09:16 PM

How is Valhalla? I couldn’t finish AC Pyramid because the game kept forcing me to grind meaningless side quests/fetch quests when I just wanted to play the story. If I stab you in the eye and your human you should die! Not this 5 levels difference between us means I do 99% reduced damage.

I see Valhalla is free on ps plus so I have been considering it

#4246 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 04 September 2022 - 11:27 PM

I’m actually getting stoked about Hogwarts Legacy. Someone should make a thread for it.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#4247 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 September 2022 - 12:07 AM

I enjoyed playing AC Valhalla. It has the Ubisoft philosophy of more is better though. When you open up parts of the map, there will be clutter of various markings of places to investigate. I enjoyed a lot of the different activities and exploration finds for the most part. There are quite a few though that just ring empty or hollow, but I think the developers/creative direction for Valhalla was trying to convey a slice of life in 9th century (to what is now) England. Some of it is just very mundane though, like returning a lost pig while fighting off wolves in the process. But if exploration is your thing in open world games, then Valhalla will be right up your alley. There are quite a few historical sites in the game. I won't spoil any except for one just to wet the appetite.
Spoiler

The thing about Assassin's Creed games though is they are very dense, and if you go for everything it will take quite some time to finish, as such I don't want to play another AC game any time soon after I finish. That's why I missed Odyssey. I poured a ton of hours into Origins, and was still playing summer before Odyssey came out; it wasn't in me to play another AC game so quickly. I'm going to have to play Odyssey some day because I've heard and read good things.

But yeah, Valhalla is a great game if exploration is your thing and Anglo-Saxon/Viking expansion England scratches that history buff in you.

On the topic of the AC series, Assassin's Creed Mirage was announced last week. It features Basim and the setting is Baghdad. Oh my! If you know about Basim, then you know, know what I mean? I guess it was supposed to be DLC for Valhalla. Hopefully they streamline it (that's what I've been reading they will do). Also, I've seen some vids stating they will depart from the current game mechanics and rpg elements somewhat and return back to the original games approach. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because... YouTube vids. Also hoping it will come at a cheaper price.

#4248 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 September 2022 - 11:44 AM

Watched the Ubisoft event this morning. Most of it was not for me but I liked what they revealed about Mirage:

I'm one of the people complaining that the series has moved way too far from the original concept, so Mirage sounds pretty interesting.

Here's hoping they bring back flag and feather collecting as well.

#4249 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 September 2022 - 08:59 PM

A return to tradition would make a lot of people happy. Wrapping up the ancient trilogy is a great time to pivot towards that. The other things they teased were vague, but I guess one setting is in Japan, and another is during the time of the witch trials? (codenam: Hexe)

#4250 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:41 AM

Are they really making/releasing 3 ass creed games at once? No wonder quality went to shot

#4251 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:47 AM

No, there's a chart that details the release schedule. It's something like 2023, 2024 and in progress

#4252 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:43 AM

View PostAptorian, on 26 August 2022 - 01:35 PM, said:

I enjoyed FTL but that Last Boss thing was utter bullshit. Never managed a run where I was equipped to kill it.

I made it to the end boss, died because my O2 got hacked but it seems from a novice perspective that everything it had by way of weapons has some sort of counter that can be used, i.e. using Stealth to negate the missile volley.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4253 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:46 PM

It was bullshit.

In other news:

All I want for Christmas is some ancient remastered Zelda games sold at too high a price.

#4254 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:03 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 September 2022 - 02:46 PM, said:

It was bullshit.

In other news:

All I want for Christmas is some ancient remastered Zelda games sold at too high a price.

I LOVE my Switch...I love it....but the fact that Nintendo rarely IF EVER puts even old games on Sale upsets me in ways I can't properly explain. If the GOTY edition of WITCHER 3 (a game that originally came out in 2015) it still listed at $80 (I know the port came in 2019, but still)....then we have problems.

I don't want a list of new stuff that I can't really afford...I want them to act like Sony and Microsoft and put old games on sale FFS! MY gods...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4255 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:14 PM

View PostCause, on 12 September 2022 - 02:41 AM, said:

Are they really making/releasing 3 ass creed games at once? No wonder quality went to shot

Mirage will be a stand alone game, as per tradition. Not 100% positive about the other two titles that were teased, but I think they will be part of the Assassin's Creed Infinite concept Ubisoft is going to roll out. Which sounds like a live service platform (akin to Destiny 2 I suppose?) I'm cool to the idea but am interested to see how they execute on it. Ubisoft already bothers players with their store and extra stuff you can purchase; the live service concept, seems to me anyway, will have more of it. Also, I'd like to see how they are going to bring very different points in history onto the same game framework and it feel like a distinct experience, other than skinned differently.

#4256 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:38 PM

Return to Monkey Iskand coming out in 1 week, first time I pre-ordered a game.

#4257 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:48 PM

View PostAvatar, on 12 September 2022 - 08:38 PM, said:

So looking forward to this myself, can't wait!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4258 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:54 PM

View Postchamp, on 12 September 2022 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostAvatar, on 12 September 2022 - 08:38 PM, said:

So looking forward to this myself, can't wait!

Cool, so good that Ron Gilbert is making it!

This post has been edited by Avatar: 12 September 2022 - 08:55 PM

#4259 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:46 AM

View PostAptorian, on 12 September 2022 - 02:46 PM, said:

It was bullshit.

In other news:

I got it to 50% stage 2. It seems to have a rhythm to it, with a Halberd Beam I could probably have actually taken him. Kinda fun fight tbh
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4260 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 September 2022 - 04:56 PM

State of play yesterday.

Fatal Frame 4 is getting a remaster- seems like they are going backwards from 5 with this series.

Tekken 8 is a thing.

Game formerly known as "Project EVE" is now "Stellar Blade" and published by SIE as a console exclusive. Guessing it'll release on EGS, too, b/c it's a UE5 game.

Also, Sony continues to publish Team Ninja games- and now they are making a "Ghost of the Last Samurai"- except it's called "Rise of the Ronin". Also a "console exclusive"- meaning PC gamers continue to get the best of every world.

Oh, and unrelated to Sony, SEGA released the 2 Judgement games on Steam, after all the hubbub last year where the agency that owns the likeness of the protag's actor's face was vehemently opposed to PC releases. So that's nice.

And there's like a billion Yakuza and spin-off titles in the works.

All this, and I don't think TGS even started yet.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook