Malazan Empire: funniest parts of the series - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

funniest parts of the series if there's a saddest thread, why not a funniest! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   cleantoe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

View PostPanador, on 08 March 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

Can't really pick THE funniest moment, pretty much every scene with Tehol&Bugg, Kruppe, Iskaral Pust.
The Iskaral Pust & Kruppe scene was nice, but somewhat lacking imo, two of the weirdest, talkative characters get physical after a, for them, relatively short conversation.

I'd LOVE a conversation between Kruppe & Tehol & Bugg (& Iskaral Pust), I can't even properly express the sheer awesomeness this would be. :band:

Also, Kruppe meeting his daughters would be great I guess (haven't finished DoD yet, so I'm still holding out hope it'll happen in this book).

Kindly & Pores are also great, Telorast and Curdle as well.

Hellian.. phew.... she's also very nice, but I'm going back and forth between "hehe" and "get sober for once ffs!" with her.

Come to think of it, SE has got some of the funniest/weirdest characters I've ever known, in book as well as in television, games, whatever. I love ASoIaF as well but in that department MBotF beats it hands down.

I agree. Kruppe, Tehol, Bugg and Pust (and his mule) all in one scene together would just be insanely awesome. Erikson, if you're reading this, MAKE IT HAPPEN please!!!!

ASoIaF has very little humor in it. It's the darkest series I've ever read--depressingly so. Once you start to really like a character, Martin will kill him or her off in such a brutal, violent way. Obviously, the Malazan books blow away any other series in comedic value.

#22 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

View Postcleantoe, on 08 March 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

I agree. Kruppe, Tehol, Bugg and Pust (and his mule) all in one scene together would just be insanely awesome. Erikson, if you're reading this, MAKE IT HAPPEN please!!!!

ASoIaF has very little humor in it. It's the darkest series I've ever read--depressingly so. Once you start to really like a character, Martin will kill him or her off in such a brutal, violent way. Obviously, the Malazan books blow away any other series in comedic value.

I'm not sure the universe can handle that much awesome. Surely if such a scene were to take place the end of the world would immediately follow, as nothing else would be of suitable scale in comparison.

#23 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Dont know why but I love Kindly and Pores in Bonehunters...

Also though some of the Emancipator Reese moments in MOI were pretty funny. ("why doesnt anyone just kill them?")

And of course Tehol and Bug.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#24 User is offline   Panador 

• Corporal

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, but ASoIaF is a dark series but actually, so is Malazan, it just has more light-hearted moments/characters. I wouldn't have thought it possible but MBotF now shares my No1 pedestal with ASoIaF, they're both just excellent, just in vastly different ways.
SE also isn't afraid of killing of great characters. Whiskeyjack, Rake, Dujek dying of a damn fever (ok, not a fever, but you get the gist...:band:), Trull... the list goes on and on. Although I have to say that actually SE's deaths shock me somewhat more. When Whiskeyjack was killed I was actually stunned, I had to re-read the passage once or twice to be certain I actually read what I thought I'd read. Trull... it was just so surprising, so shocking. Those where characters we loved. Only a couple deaths in ASoIaF had that impact on me. Eddarf for one, althought the effect was somewhat lessened because we really did not get to know the character all that much. Mormont? Yeah, even that, not quite there.Rob, Catlyn? Screw them, never liked them, especially Catlyn. Robert? He had it coming. I guess the only death that would have the same effect on me would be Jon's or Tyrion's, which I just don't see happening seeing as they're pretty much the main characters, as much as you can say that about a ASoIaF character.
We were never what people could be. We were only what we were.
Remember Us.

#25 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

I think the best part of the humour is that it adds to the realism. When you've been through what most of the characters have, it either destroys you; or you cope, crack a joke and move on. Sometimes when things are that bleak, there's nothing you can do but laugh at it. Granted, that doesnt apply to all of the characters, but a lot of the things you chuckle at (especially from the soldiers) are definitely bitter-sweet.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#26 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

"Ah Rhulad," he sighed, "you surely could strutt for the ladies now, couldnt you?"

(Udinaas, after melting coins onto Rhulads thought to be lifeless carcass)
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#27 User is offline   AlanH 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

One of the funniest scenes I think is the one with Bugg and the lawyer (who's name escapes me) in RG (I think).
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

#28 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

View PostAlanH, on 09 March 2010 - 03:16 PM, said:

One of the funniest scenes I think is the one with Bugg and the lawyer (who's name escapes me) in RG (I think).

yes. thats a great scene. "Would that i carried a knife, for i would kill you with it here and now."
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#29 User is offline   Giles 

• Demon of the inn
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Martial arts and Metal music

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

I loved the scene in RG, at the end when Karsa asks Withal if he made the sword, Withal says that he did and Karsa punches him and tells him "dont do it again" (something like that)
"Hollow. My name is Kurosaki Ichigo. You killed my mother. Bankai."

#30 User is offline   cleantoe 

• Recruit

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

View PostPanador, on 08 March 2010 - 04:39 PM, said:

Yeah, but ASoIaF is a dark series but actually, so is Malazan, it just has more light-hearted moments/characters. I wouldn't have thought it possible but MBotF now shares my No1 pedestal with ASoIaF, they're both just excellent, just in vastly different ways.
SE also isn't afraid of killing of great characters. Whiskeyjack, Rake, Dujek dying of a damn fever (ok, not a fever, but you get the gist...:)), Trull... the list goes on and on. Although I have to say that actually SE's deaths shock me somewhat more. When Whiskeyjack was killed I was actually stunned, I had to re-read the passage once or twice to be certain I actually read what I thought I'd read. Trull... it was just so surprising, so shocking. Those where characters we loved. Only a couple deaths in ASoIaF had that impact on me. Eddarf for one, althought the effect was somewhat lessened because we really did not get to know the character all that much. Mormont? Yeah, even that, not quite there.Rob, Catlyn? Screw them, never liked them, especially Catlyn. Robert? He had it coming. I guess the only death that would have the same effect on me would be Jon's or Tyrion's, which I just don't see happening seeing as they're pretty much the main characters, as much as you can say that about a ASoIaF character.

Right, but the difference is, in ASoIaF, the characters stay dead with very few exceptions (Catlyn and Dondarrion or whatever his name is), and they're mostly just spiteful zombies now. In ASoIaF, death for the most part is set in permanence. That is not true with the Malazan books, where everyone dies and gets pulled from death to live again. All the Bridgeburners, for example--if Fiddler dies now, I won't care because I know he'll be back. Tool got reborn. Coltaine isn't dead...etc. On an emotional shock factor, yes, the deaths can be emotionally sapping, like when Whiskeyjack dies. But it really sucks when you know those characters in essence can't be killed anymore. No more deaths will be as shocking.

In ASoIaF, you don't really get to know any of the characters because they never live long enough! They die just when you start to really like them, and that's the terrible thing. You start to like a character and that character dies. Then you forget that one and move on and find someone else you like, then that person is killed off (like what's-his-name who fought "The Mountain" Clegane)...etc

You're right though, the Malazan series is very dark and brutal in its own way. The main difference though is that ASoIaF is...well...more realistic. Magic is very limited in that world and the deaths are more believable.

#31 User is offline   Uli 

• Recruit

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Its funny I actually find Erikson's books far darker and grittier and its the darkness tragedy and grittiness of them that is a big part of my love for them.

I must say I in no way found ASoIaF to be realistic but then again I also never cared for mr martin's writing as I personally find it very poor :)

I am constantly surprised seeing Erikson and Martin compared as to me they are playing in completely different leagues but then each to their own. How about you prefer martin and I prefer erikson? Works for me so don't take this negatively, I am really just rambling here.

:D

#32 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

I lol'd when Tarr threw those D'ras traders overboard after they gave him some drug-wad to eat, watched as a dozen or so crocodiles swam toward them, then shrugged and was like 'Oh well'
Loved the scene where the 14 Jaghut met up with Toc, Toc was like: "I knew a T'lan Imass once, I taught it to make jokes"
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#33 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:36 AM

just saw this at the beginning of a TtH reread
from the dramatis personae

gruntle: a caravan guard on extended leave

and it suddenly struck me how hilarious that is
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#34 User is offline   Edonidd 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

View PostPanador, on 08 March 2010 - 09:05 AM, said:

Can't really pick THE funniest moment, pretty much every scene with Tehol&Bugg, Kruppe, Iskaral Pust.
The Iskaral Pust & Kruppe scene was nice, but somewhat lacking imo, two of the weirdest, talkative characters get physical after a, for them, relatively short conversation.

I'd LOVE a conversation between Kruppe & Tehol & Bugg (& Iskaral Pust), I can't even properly express the sheer awesomeness this would be. :)

Also, Kruppe meeting his daughters would be great I guess (haven't finished DoD yet, so I'm still holding out hope it'll happen in this book).

Kindly & Pores are also great, Telorast and Curdle as well.

Hellian.. phew.... she's also very nice, but I'm going back and forth between "hehe" and "get sober for once ffs!" with her.

Come to think of it, SE has got some of the funniest/weirdest characters I've ever known, in book as well as in television, games, whatever. I love ASoIaF as well but in that department MBotF beats it hands down.

I have never found Kruppe to be that funny, but replace him in that 4 some with Ublala and I wouldn't stop laughing. My absolute favorite line in the entire series is; (paraphrased because apparently i can't remember word for word my own favorite line) "Look, she's got breasts and stuff. A manhunt." Ublala laughed again, then shook his head. "Them Patriotists are idiots." The whole chickns scene is hilarious too.

And while I agree that as a whole MBotF is much funnier than ASoIaF, I think at times Erikson tries too hard and the book suffers for it. DoD has some great examples of that, where he tries to shoehorn some stuff in that doesn't really seem to fit the characters, just to insert some humor. Martin on the other hand is so incredibly dark most of the time that when he does insert some humor it is hilarious. Dolorous Edd Tollett is my absolute favorite character in any book ever, and pretty much every time he says anything in ASoIaF I have to put the book down I am laughing so hard. But put Dolorous Edd into MBotF and he probably doesn't crack the top 5, maybe not top 10 of funniest characters, and his one liners that have me rolling on the floor may not make top 50 funniest lines in some specefic books of Malazan (MT comes to mind) much less the entire series. Malazan is funnier, but I laugh harder at the unexpectedness of the humor in Ice and Fire.

#35 User is offline   clanless 

• Corporal

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

Pretty much every interaction between Draconus and Pung was comedic Gold. I don't have the book's with me right now, but the scene when Pung was trying to "comfort" the Barghast chick was both funny and kind of tragic atthe same time.

#36 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Crump being a tard and always managing to survive is comedic gold. And any scene with Tehol, Bugg, and Ublala Pung in the same room.

#37 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Rucket of the Rat Catcher's Guild is one hilarious character as well.

#38 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

My favorite interchange is the one between Quick Ben and Beauchalain & Korbal Broach in Memories of Ice. I love that QB just goes into their house because he's curious about how much power is in it, and when B&KB think he's easy prey he unloads not 6 but 12 warrens at them at once. I just thought the whole scene was quaint. I also love when Quick Ben created a hole below Kallor and then ran off, lol.

And obviously Tehol is the king of this thread.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#39 User is offline   Epiph 

• High Fist

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 31 March 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

My favorite interchange is the one between Quick Ben and Beauchalain & Korbal Broach in Memories of Ice. I love that QB just goes into their house because he's curious about how much power is in it, and when B&KB think he's easy prey he unloads not 6 but 12 warrens at them at once. I just thought the whole scene was quaint. I also love when Quick Ben created a hole below Kallor and then ran off, lol.

Hehe. Virgin's blood.
<--angry purple ball of yarn wielding crochet hooks. How does that fail to designate my sex?

#40 User is offline   Silannah 

• Possibly the Youngest Here
  • Interests:Sleep, Reading

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have about ten little time bookmarks in each of the books to mark my favorite parts, but one of the best (Other than Tehol and Bugg, of course) is in tBH, when Quick Ben and Kalam are talking, and Kalam says, "Quick, you and me." "Yes?" "I think we're insane." "You're not." "What do you mean?" "You're too slow. You can't be insane if you only just realized we're insane. Understand?" "No." "As I said, then."

I still laugh and get strange looks from my family when I'm reading that part. Also when those two are hiding belowdecks on the Froth Wolf (I think).
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall...

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users