• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12681 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 July 2023 - 04:32 AM

View PostMacros, on 13 July 2023 - 04:40 PM, said:

I hear Mezla running to the cinema?!

I watched the trailer with some interest the other day but there is nothing sexy about the character of Willy Wonka. I'll try my best if I see the movie but I'm worried this will kill off my inexplicable lust for Chalamet.

I watched The Woman King yesterday. It's bloody good. I love Viola Davis anyway but she takes it to a whole new level in this.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12682 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 July 2023 - 08:06 PM

Can anyone explain to me the hype about the Barbie movie?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#12683 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 July 2023 - 08:46 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 15 July 2023 - 08:06 PM, said:

Can anyone explain to me the hype about the Barbie movie?

This one looks pretty interesting:

Posted Image

Barbenheimer

The other one... IDK.

#12684 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 July 2023 - 06:10 AM

I don't think it's that hard to grasp. Take an iconic toy that the majority of girls in the white western world grew up with. Add in two megastar actors and a whole lot of marketing.

I want to see it because the marketing and the people involved have my curious enough and I had a lot of barbies as a kid. Same(ish) as I felt about the original Spielberg/Bay Tranformers movie and I had a lot less of those toys but I guess pre-movie excitement is more easy for boys toys due to then generally being more exciting.

I was at a Monster Jam monster truck show in a football stadium yesterday. Boys toys are definitely more exciting.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12685 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 July 2023 - 01:16 PM

Went to see MISSION IMPOSSIBLE DEAD RECKONING P1 on Saturday night, but had to bail 1hour in from dire stomach issues (we think something I ate as I'm fine now), but the hour I saw was great and my wife (who stayed for the whole thing, she calls the MI movies "her lord of the rings") loved it.

Got tickets to see OPPENHEIMER in IMAX on Friday aft. Excited to see a new Nolan flick in theatres!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12686 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 July 2023 - 05:27 PM

The wife has never seen a MI movie and I’ve only seen a few. But she loves fun action franchises so we’re going to start a watch this weekend, then hopefully catch DR still in theaters.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12687 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 July 2023 - 05:45 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 17 July 2023 - 05:27 PM, said:

The wife has never seen a MI movie and I’ve only seen a few. But she loves fun action franchises so we’re going to start a watch this weekend, then hopefully catch DR still in theaters.

We did this over the last few weeks too, and it was fun...especially seeing Kitrich again nearly 30 years later in this new one!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12688 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 July 2023 - 12:29 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 31 July 2017 - 11:43 PM, said:

Dunkirk was really good, and the use of the score to build the tension was one of the best things about it.

So there.

The Zimmer/Nolan combo are one of the few setups currently in Hollywood willing to make a soundtrack that doesn't necessarily work so well as a standalone listen in the service of the film (Winding Refn is a fan of this principle too and has done good work with Cliff Martinez and Peter Peter in that regard). This film might be the culmination of their patnership in that particular playing field.

(one thing that still bugs me about Zimmer and scores is that he insists that he invented the Inception trailer bwhams even though he didn't.)

I'm here many years later to double stamp DUNKIRK.

It's funny, I steered clear of it because I didn't like INTERSTELLAR and some of the more lukewarm reviews after it came out, kept me bay...but sitting down to properly watch it I found it worked for me really well. I want to say that the lack of dialogue, music as tension, cross cutting between timelines really hammered home that he was trying to convey....if I had a comparison, in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN's opening the beach landing being chaotic and Spielberg wanting to show it from the angle of what the soldiers would have felt....that visceral tense thing...I think the entirety of DUNKIRK is that...a soldiers POV of an event that they all experienced from different angles....even Tom Hardy's pilot is seen as close ups of his face, and his targeting sight for most of the runtime to convey that. The music and cross cutting added to this, as did the clever swaps between IMAX shots and regular ones. I felt this culminated in not SEEING or HEARING Churchill's speech, but having one of the characters read it to another character on a train after they arrive home. That really solidified what we saw was a soldier's POV movie of the Dunkirk Evacuation.

It's not a war movie either. That's the thing that impressed me most. He didn't approach it as a war movie at all. It's occasionally shot like on, but it's not one.

Also, I'd watch Kenneth Brannagh saving England in pretty much anything.

#12689 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 July 2023 - 09:44 PM

I watched DON'T WORRY DARLING and I loved it. I'm a big fan of Florence Pugh so I knew I was going to enjoy it too an extent anyway. It's nothing groundbreaking in many senses and the comparisons to the Stepford Wives is an apt one, but the tension and the setting and the use of music were all well fused together to create a thrilling story.

I'd like to see Chris Pine in more roles like this as he seemed to be having fun playing a more villain type role.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12690 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:21 PM

OPPENHEIMER is a masterpiece. Possibly Nolan’s finest effort. Just…wow.

#12691 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 July 2023 - 07:04 AM

Watched Die Hart last night.
Short but a lot of fun

#12692 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 July 2023 - 07:23 AM

Is that a height joke?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12693 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 July 2023 - 09:56 AM

Is it German?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12694 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 July 2023 - 01:08 PM

Diving into spoilers for full thoughts on OPPENHEIMER...

Spoiler

Oh and the BARBIE stuff where people are like "I'll watch OPPENHEIMER and then BARBIE as a happier palate cleanser"? Yeah that's gross and you should feel ashamed. OPPENHEIMER is intended to sit with you, and haunt you...not to be washed away while you drench yourself in comedy a few hours later.

I think it's time to re-watch GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES frankly...

EDIT: I feel like this scene could have been added into the film to really hammer home things...but that's just me dreaming of a longer cut that fills out the edges.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 July 2023 - 02:35 PM

#12695 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 July 2023 - 02:34 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 16 July 2023 - 06:10 AM, said:

I don't think it's that hard to grasp. Take an iconic toy that the majority of girls in the white western world grew up with. Add in two megastar actors and a whole lot of marketing.

I want to see it because the marketing and the people involved have my curious enough and I had a lot of barbies as a kid. Same(ish) as I felt about the original Spielberg/Bay Tranformers movie and I had a lot less of those toys but I guess pre-movie excitement is more easy for boys toys due to then generally being more exciting.

I was at a Monster Jam monster truck show in a football stadium yesterday. Boys toys are definitely more exciting.

And a writer-director who's a celebrated auteur... though most of the marketing may not have made much of that.

''Barbie' reportedly had a $150 million marketing budget — more than the movie's actual budget'

[...] rival studios estimated [...]

[...] ranged from a website allowing fans to make custom "Barbie" posters, to [...] teaming with Airbnb to create a life-size replica of Barbie's Malibu dreamhouse, and even collaborating with Burger King Brazil on a pink burger.

[...] brands jumped on the bandwagon to create their own pink items [...] "It stopped becoming a marketing campaign and took on the quality of a movement [to make as much shit pink as possible]."

'Barbie' Reportedly Had a $150 Million Marketing Budget (insider.com)

Also got some free marketing:

Ben Shapiro, 39, Films Himself Setting Fire to Barbie Dolls Because He Is Manly and MAD

[...] to prove how much he loathes “Barbie,” the right-wing troll pieced through his “pages and pages” of notes on the movie, which he apparently watched while dressed as Ken.

[...] wild 43-minute-long tirade [...] appeared to try and spark mass protests [...] whined [...] “one of the most woke movies I have ever seen.” [...] “angry feminist claptrap”

Ben Shapiro Roasted For ‘Pathetic’ 43-Minute-Long ‘Barbie’ Review (thedailybeast.com)

Posted Image

"I took 1 star reviews of #Barbie from furious men on letterboxd and put them on the posters because it makes the film seem ever cooler. https://t.co/V4YzmnB8bj" / Twitter

Which might partly explain:

Posted Image

... trending most relative to Oppenheimer in the reactionary South, especially Mississippi....

#12696 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2023 - 04:50 PM

Hotel Artemis -- a little late on this one, but it's on HBO so I finally watched it. It's got a great cast (& good stylized pulpy performances), some decent action, and a really fun premise and setting. I thought it was gonna be John Wick-lite but it's rather more Dredd-lite, with some cool near-future scifi trappings. There's a lot to root for (especially for an action-ish movie on the lower end of mid-budget). That said, the script is shallow, sloppy, and full of shortcuts. It CliffsNotes its own story and character-building in a way that is cornball and distracting. Kinda knocked it down a few notches for me, despite the good stuff.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12697 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:57 AM

Looks like a good one with Sir Michael Caine and the late Glenda Jackson

... and for something completely different - here's a (reimagining?) of one of the most memorable stories (2 parter, no less!) of one of the best anime of my youth.
See how fast you can pick it. If you can do it in under 30 seconds, congratulations - you're old. :p

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12698 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:26 PM

Is this a new hollywood trend? This year I have seen 3 movies that ended on 'to be continued'.

Into the spiderverse
Fast and Furious 10
MI: Dead reckoning part 1

Its really frustrating to see this medium which used to be one shot turn serial but my best guess would be that hollywood is trying tactics to ensure future revenue. Currently they only make pre-existing IP to ensure opening box office numbers are relaibly solid. This seems to be an evolution.

#12699 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:38 AM

Oooooookaaaaayyyyy ...

#12700 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:11 PM

Isle of Man legend that talking mongoose!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic