• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12701 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 July 2023 - 11:00 PM

Saw Barbie yesterday with my wife. Frankly, any excuse to eat a tub of movie theater popcorn will work for me. However, it is very entertaining. Do I want to watch it again? Not really, as I don't think it'll reward that, I could be wrong.

But it's definitely worth watching once because it's so damn funny. Entire cast did a great job.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12702 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 12:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 June 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 June 2023 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 June 2023 - 12:42 PM, said:

Saw TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS....

Chance of me spending Big Screen dollars to see this are near nil, but i'll at least glance at it when it streams.

This is the safest bet. Nothing about this screamed "needs to be seen on the big screen" to me, nor will it spoil you to wait...as I doubt there is anything in this that you'd need to be worried being spoiled on. It's all pretty much there in the trailers.

Re-watched this last night on digital as my wife wanted to see it, and I liked it more on the re-watch.

It also triggered me to come up with a solid plan moving forward for a Hasbro share universe on the back of the GI Joe tag/tease at the end with Michael Kelly....

If Hasbro is smart, the next movie is a GI JOE reboot movie where Anthony Ramos's Noah is inducted into the Joes as the protagonist/Audience Insert as we learn about the Joes and what they do...have them go up against lesser Cobra heads like a tag team of the Baroness and Major Bludd (who are clearly working for someone above their heads that were never see) as the two are basically terrorizing the world to get at some artifact they want....said artifact eventually leads them and the Joes to some huge metal strange underwater wreck, the Cobras get the artifact, but the Joes get it back from them at the last minute....but it's too late, the taking of the artifact has activated the stasis pods on the wreck and it turns out the wreck is the crashed Deception ship, and Megatron and the Decepticons rise from the wreck to a new world full of energon. This would make the tag in the JOE movies at the end be Noah & the Joes going to find Optimus and the Autobots/Maximals for help...then in the 3rd movie you do Joes & Autobots VS Cobra and the Decepticons as an all out war film. The the tag at the end of THAT film can be the Joes and TF's realizing that should combine tech, and you get Matt Trakker from M.A.S.K. introduced.

I'm just saying. If Hasbro WANTS the shared universe, there's a right way to do it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12703 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2023 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm just saying. If Hasbro WANTS the shared universe, there's a right way to do it.

the hook at the end of RISE was effective,and yes, have him in a new Joe movie and drop another hint. But they need at least another movie in each franchise before going full crossover and leave MASK or whatever else they want to incorporate way way aside til later. The lesson on the MCU and the mess that is DC is take the time to build, don't jump straight to the Big Event. MASK was never as huge as Transformers of GI Joe and it would dilute if not trash the project to try and throw that in early.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12704 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 August 2023 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2023 - 12:30 PM, said:

the hook at the end of RISE was effective,and yes, have him in a new Joe movie and drop another hint. But they need at least another movie in each franchise before going full crossover and leave MASK or whatever else they want to incorporate way way aside til later. The lesson on the MCU and the mess that is DC is take the time to build, don't jump straight to the Big Event. MASK was never as huge as Transformers of GI Joe and it would dilute if not trash the project to try and throw that in early.

MASK can be the eventual offshoot that the Joes and TF's coming together produces. Like a splinter team that uses TF tech to make earthbound vehicles and disguises...a subset of Joes if you will?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 August 2023 - 03:00 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12705 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:00 PM

Man, this conversation brings back so many memories of childhood with Transformers / Mask / GI etc...

Mask is one of those shows where the theme tune just instantly pops into my head when I think about it.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12706 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:34 PM

View Postchamp, on 09 August 2023 - 04:00 PM, said:

Man, this conversation brings back so many memories of childhood with Transformers / Mask / GI etc...

Mask is one of those shows where the theme tune just instantly pops into my head when I think about it.

I only had a few toys from MASK, but I LURVED them! They were so cool!

#12707 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:55 PM

I'm holding out for a shared Barbie/He-Man Mattel Universe.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12708 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 August 2023 - 04:34 PM, said:

View Postchamp, on 09 August 2023 - 04:00 PM, said:

I only had a few toys from MASK, but I LURVED them! They were so cool!

MASK toys were awesome, though I did love my Transformer toys more... eventually...

There was a Transformer Christmas incident I vividly remember when I was tiny young... I'd asked for Optimus obviously but he was sold out I was told, parents bought me a Decepticon tank instead, not sure who it was now but I totally freaked out, in my mind I couldn't believe they'd buy me a bad guy who'd attack Optimus... they were like it's a robot that turns into a tank whats your problem whilst I was losing my shit... ah good times...

This post has been edited by champ: 09 August 2023 - 07:47 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12709 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:39 AM

I watched 65, the dinosaur movie with Adam Driver. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen or anything, but it may be one of the biggest wastes of potential in recent years. As it is, it's dull, uneventful, and tensionless to such a baffling degree given its premise. A real 'what were they thinking' movie.

If you wanna watch something like this, a cool genre thing with a man and a girl traveling a strange and dangerous land together, with some actual guts and tension to it, I say stick with the one starring Pedro Pascal: Prospect, from 2018!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12710 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

View Postworry, on 14 August 2023 - 10:39 AM, said:

I watched 65, the dinosaur movie with Adam Driver. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen or anything, but it may be one of the biggest wastes of potential in recent years. As it is, it's dull, uneventful, and tensionless to such a baffling degree given its premise. A real 'what were they thinking' movie.

I got this as a 0.99$ rental and have yet to watch it, but your opinion is pretty much what I've heard. Oh well, I only spent a buck to see it.

#12711 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:09 AM

I caught myself watching it over someones shoulder on a plane and really wanted to see it. In a dumb way!

Kid is off to my mothers for 5 nights tomorrow. I have to watch Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Barbie and Oppenheimer. I have next Friday off work with the house to myself most of the day. The plan is to get up late, get dressed into fresh PJs, hit the sofa with a pile of junk food, GotG 3 first and then see where we go from there! Living the dream.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12712 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 22 August 2023 - 09:43 PM

Has anyone else seen Barbie yet? I haven't laughed so hard in the cinema since I saw Team America. It is utterly absurd. There are parts where it tries to be sentimental and they are a little bit dull but the other 80% of the film is batshit insane. And as it is hilarious and also blatantly about the patriarchy it feels pretty groundbreaking.

Mr PigDog liked it. Anyone for a Brewski Beer?

Edit to add - Chalamet Wonker trailer on the big screen - he's still got it!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 22 August 2023 - 09:45 PM

#12713 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:43 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 22 August 2023 - 09:43 PM, said:

Has anyone else seen Barbie yet? I haven't laughed so hard in the cinema since I saw Team America. It is utterly absurd. There are parts where it tries to be sentimental and they are a little bit dull but the other 80% of the film is batshit insane. And as it is hilarious and also blatantly about the patriarchy it feels pretty groundbreaking.

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 30 July 2023 - 11:00 PM, said:

Saw Barbie yesterday with my wife. Frankly, any excuse to eat a tub of movie theater popcorn will work for me. However, it is very entertaining. Do I want to watch it again? Not really, as I don't think it'll reward that, I could be wrong.

But it's definitely worth watching once because it's so damn funny. Entire cast did a great job.

Yes, and I agree that it was entertaining as heck.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12714 User is offline   ContrarianMalazanReader 

• Fist

Posted 23 August 2023 - 12:33 AM

The aesthetics of this movie are way closer to what I envision when reading Dune.

#12715 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 August 2023 - 05:42 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 August 2023 - 11:43 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 30 July 2023 - 11:00 PM, said:

Yes, and I agree that it was entertaining as heck.

Sublime! I took a sip of my drink when that line was delivered and nearly spat it all over the row in front.

#12716 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 August 2023 - 03:04 AM

You might really like Joy Ride.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12717 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 24 August 2023 - 08:05 AM

I expect it is quite entertaining but I don't think there is anything special about these debauched escapade movies that have been coming out since The Hangover. The ones they make with groups of female friends just seem hell bent on trying to show women can be as gross as men. I will happily watch anything except horror but it's not high on my list.

#12718 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:09 PM

This probably needs to be injected into my veins...

I don't think Fincher has ever made a bad film... even when he's made films I don't like.

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#12719 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 August 2023 - 09:23 PM

The comic this is based on could have been written for Fincher, too. Perfect matchup of director and material.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12720 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2023 - 12:18 PM

INDY 5 was actually not too bad, better than CRYSTAL SKULL but not quite as good as the original trilogy....which is about what I was expecting.

There are too many chases though....it's like they wanted to fill time twice, because of the three chase sequences, 2 could have been cut and we'd lose nothing.

The twist is solid, and the third act surprise was probably one of the best in an Indy movie to date...just a really rewarding sequence.

While I like Phoebe Waller-Bridge in other things, I felt she was wildly miscast in this. Someone with more warmth and less constant need to almost wink at the camera like she did in her TV shows would have been nice. And amusingly I think Helena Shaw as goddaughter to Indy through one of his fellow adventuring archeologist friends is a wonderful idea...and the character does what she says on the tin....but PWB was a mistake in casting. Someone like Olivia Cooke, or Emma Watson would have been better and more genial overall.

And frankly even then I feel like it would have made WAY more sense to have cast Key and Shortround grown up into that role in place of Shaw entirely...it would have made this a real capper to the series, considering the other mainstay cameos in the film.

Anyways, a fun flick.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users