• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12721 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2023 - 03:37 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 29 August 2023 - 08:09 PM, said:

This probably needs to be injected into my veins...

I don't think Fincher has ever made a bad film... even when he's made films I don't like.

View Postpolishgenius, on 29 August 2023 - 09:23 PM, said:

The comic this is based on could have been written for Fincher, too. Perfect matchup of director and material.

I'm in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12722 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:14 PM

National cinema day, Ł3 a ticket.
We went to see barbie.
Enjoyable and wacky, Ryan Gosling delivered the line of the movie for me. Nailed the deadpan

#12723 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 September 2023 - 04:12 PM

“It’s [...] about a cat and a robot [...] there’s not one human being in this movie. I think it’s one of the reasons why the game was incredibly popular [...]”

Stray Is Being Adapted Into An Animated Movie (kotaku.com)

#12724 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 September 2023 - 05:04 PM

Verdict on Monarch/Titan/Godzilla series as it stands:

GODZILLA (2014)- still a blast and a really good reintroduction of the classic creature feature.
KONG: SKULL ISLAND - This is the best of the 4 films out...it's got the goods for giant monsters, but the human stories work in spades too.
GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS - Wayyyyyyyyy too much chatting in underground bases, WAY too many dark night time fights, not enough overall monsters bashing the shit out of each other. The nadir of the series, worst of the lot by a long stretch
GODZILLA VS KONG - a great return to form, probably ranks about halfway between KONG SKULL ISLAND and the first film. Mostly a blast, and the human stories while not GREAT, are WAY more entertaining than KoM was.

Next up MONARCH tv show on AppleTV+, and then next year GODZILLA X KONG: NEW EMPIRE which I assume will come off the back of them finding a way into the Hollow Earth where the titans come from in the last film.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12725 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 September 2023 - 08:20 AM

Could be good, could be ... not.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12726 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2023 - 01:43 PM

Re-watched SAHARA (2005) since I'm reading some Cussler, in the hopes it was not as bad as I recall it being when I saw it in the theatre.

It's as bad as I recalled.

And considering that SINCE then I've actually READ the SAHARA novel...the screenplay is INEXPLICABLE. The changes they make are super inexplicable.

Spoilers for both novel and movie...

Spoiler

What blows my mind is that the actual novel, while being a bit cliched, and over the top is a perfectly FINE novel to adapt into a film (albeit a long one). But the liberties they took with the plot is insane, and the concentration of the toxic waste dump as a long ass action sequence...just arg.

And worse still? Matthew Mcconaughey is a DAMNED good Dirk Pitt. He embodies what I feel Pitt would be like in live action...and while he's the wrong ancestry and hair colour, Steve Zahn is nonetheless an EXCELLENT Al Giordino...and frankly their chemistry and banter is SPOT ON to the books. William H. Macy is an admirable Sandusky too....hell even Penelope Cruz is solid....but beyond the script badness....the fucking Direction is ABYSMAL. It's staid, and often too stunted. There is nothing organic about it, and for a film in the desert the shots worthy of noting are few and far between. You could have grand sweeping vistas...but no, he'd rather stay at medium shots throughout and never stay anywhere long. The edits are dizzying. Even the action for hand to hand combat and gunfights are poorly done. The blocking is a mess. At no point do you get anything really resembling hero moments for Dirk or Al..because the shots are so tight, and cuts happen so fast that you can't really enjoy them. It's just hard to sit through. One look at the directors name and you understand why. Breck Eisner. Son of fabled former CEO of Disney Michael Eisner. The same Breck Eisner who has a total of 4 movies to his name, and at that point had only shot one, which was a TV film for a backdoor pilot that never went to series....and they gave him 145million to shoot a huge production they intended to kick off a series...and you wonder how is that possible even considering he is a Nepo baby whose father ran Disney for 20 years...the financier of this whole boondoggle was a billionaire POS who threw his weight around and called in a favor for Michael Eisner...a Jesus thumping right winger named Phillip Anschultz who was trying to make his production company (which largely makes biblical themed stuff) take off, and from what I understand listens to absolutely no one and basically just says "It's my money, fuck you."

It's no wonder this thing flopped. It's also no wonder that Clive Cussler sued Anschultz's production company for contract shit and script changes ect...Cussler lost initially (due to Cussler (rightly) shitting publicly on the movie before it came out because he knew it was a turd and not worthy of his name, but the judge decided those actions broke his contractual obligations of 'good faith' or some shit), but he refuted this initial court result and had it reversed by a normal judge a few years later who saw Cussler's POV.

TL;DR: This movie is shit, the director was a nepo-baby hack who has a nothing filmography of 4 films, the editor was a shitshow, the financier was a right wing billionaire jesus freak who made sure the film was how he wanted it to be, the script is a mess from start to finish and anything that resembles the plot of the book is either removed or changed for inexplicable reasons making it a cliched nightmare. Saving grace is that Matthew Mcconaughey, Steve Zahn, Penelope Cruz, William H. Macy, and Rainn Wilson are all really excellent in it and play the book characters very well.

EDIT: I doubt Dirk Cussler (Clive's son and frequently co-author) would EVER let Hollywood near his fathers work again after not one but two failed bom films that adapted his books poorly...but these books would make for a decent mid-budget Disney+ series to stand away from the Marvel/Star Wars glut of their TV content. But Disney isn't that smart.

EDIT 2: a deep dive for the interested.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 September 2023 - 03:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12727 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 September 2023 - 12:03 PM

Michael Gambon died. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12728 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 September 2023 - 05:33 PM

The big tree, Sycamore Gap, featured in Costner's 1991 movie, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, has been illegally felled.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12729 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:10 PM

why would you go out of your way to cut down a fucking tree?
like what a complete and utter wanker

#12730 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 28 September 2023 - 06:19 PM

View PostMacros, on 28 September 2023 - 06:10 PM, said:

why would you go out of your way to cut down a fucking tree?
like what a complete and utter wanker

As I understand it, you actually have to literally go out of your way to even get to that tree, so of several possible reasons, I honestly think it's a misguided attempt at clout on social media, probably tiktok.

I don't know this for sure, but other than that, I can't see why anyone would even bother.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12731 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:53 AM

Looks like it could be fun.

#12732 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 September 2023 - 08:14 PM

That looks like exactly my bag to be honest, I'll definitely make sure to watch at some point.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 30 September 2023 - 08:16 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12733 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 October 2023 - 12:38 PM

Kevin Costner, starring and directing in a multi-part Western epic?

Count me ALL the way the fuck in. This is reportedly his passion project and one of the main reasons he walked away from YELLOWSTONE.

#12734 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:12 PM

Nobody ever makes Easterns. Buncha cowards.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12735 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:30 PM

View Postworry, on 06 October 2023 - 01:12 PM, said:

Nobody ever makes Easterns. Buncha cowards.

*Laughs in Stephen Chow*

#12736 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 October 2023 - 02:33 PM

Buncha Chowards.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12737 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 October 2023 - 02:44 AM

So this one is angry apiarist Jason Stathom Jason Stathaming the hell out of a bunch of baddies.
Looks like the usual fun, but be warned: the trailer pretty much gives the entire movie away. :p

#12738 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 October 2023 - 04:20 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 October 2023 - 12:38 PM, said:

Kevin Costner, starring and directing in a multi-part Western epic?

Count me ALL the way the fuck in. This is reportedly his passion project and one of the main reasons he walked away from YELLOWSTONE.

Oh please, he's just still angry that TOMBSTONE - a movie he passed on - was so so much better than WYATT EARP and a few decades later he wants another shot.

Pun intended.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12739 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 October 2023 - 04:43 AM

So apparently John Woo is back. Nothing says "Christmas" like "Extremely Bloody Revenge". ;)

This one doesn't give away the entire plot, but there's a fair bit in there.

#12740 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2023 - 12:17 PM

In my continuing quest to fully understand the things happening in the Middle East and the struggles of the Palestinian people, I watched BORN IN GAZA on Netflix, a 2018 documentary by a Spanish director who shot within the Gaza Strip during and after the 2014 conflict there....it's heart-wrenching, and at times very hard to watch, but important and should be seen. I follow a bunch of people on TikTok who are on the ground in Gaza and one of the girls from this Doc who was about 8-10 at the time and suffered multiple injuries from bombing during that conflict is thankfully still alive and is now a health care worker there and is one of the main voices on social media right now about this subject.

Anyways, a great documentary. One of my favourite types that rejects the idea that we need talking heads or narration, and instead just lets the kids tell their stories themselves with their stark world around them.

Well worth your time, and only about 1hr9min long.

Share this topic:

• 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook