• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:51 PM

No, they are all sequential and in the same universe

#11542 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

It's just that the laws of physics and plausibility degrade further with each film in an exponential curve you can almost map.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11543 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 April 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Watched The Emperor's New Groove for the who knows how manyth time. Still the best Disney film. My two year old quite enjoyed it too!

My best friend and I can pretty much quote it word for word. Brilliant film!

ADORE that movie.

Pull the Lever Cronk!...WRONG LEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE THAT LEVER?

The Emperor's New Groove is one of those Disney movies I didn't much care for on first watch. But my kids kept watching it and it made them hysterical (with bouts of laughter) so my wife and I got into it because watching your kids in hysterics is fantastic. "Pull the lever, Kronk!" still gets uttered by one of us fairly often in everyday life. So much fun stuff in it: Kronk, Izma, Izma as the adorable kitten... John Goodman's character's (Pacha, is it? Drawing a blank at the moment) wife and kids and the stunts they pull are just gold!

Now the real question is, did anyone else like Kronk's New Groove? Cause my kids loved that one too. Probably not as good as Emperor but it has some moments...

#11544 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:48 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 16 April 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 April 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Watched The Emperor's New Groove for the who knows how manyth time. Still the best Disney film. My two year old quite enjoyed it too!

My best friend and I can pretty much quote it word for word. Brilliant film!

ADORE that movie.

Pull the Lever Cronk!...WRONG LEVEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE THAT LEVER?

The Emperor's New Groove is one of those Disney movies I didn't much care for on first watch. But my kids kept watching it and it made them hysterical (with bouts of laughter) so my wife and I got into it because watching your kids in hysterics is fantastic. "Pull the lever, Kronk!" still gets uttered by one of us fairly often in everyday life. So much fun stuff in it: Kronk, Izma, Izma as the adorable kitten... John Goodman's character's (Pacha, is it? Drawing a blank at the moment) wife and kids and the stunts they pull are just gold!

Along with ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE, EMPEROR stand as two of the FUNNIEST Disney movies in existence. And both are non-musicals to boot, so they kind of fit into this narrow category of Disney film that don't get as much play as the musicals, but they are so great. I also think they succeed becuase of who they cast for the funny, David Spade, John Goodman, Eartha Kit, and Pat Warburton ALL have impeccable comic timing.

In EMPEROR even the opening with David Spade narrating Yzma's face is a "stand up routine of funny".

In ATLANTIS (which is one of my fave Disney movies already because it's essentially a Jules Verne novel come to glorious life), you've got people like Fox who is traditionally funny, alongside Don Novella (doing a 'munitions expert' version of his Father Guido Sarducci character), Phil Morris, Jim Varney, and Corey Burton all doing spastic nut bar comedy, laid up against straight characters played by Claudia Christiansen, and James Garner. It's LITERALLY a recipe for comedy greatness.

I feel like Disney doesn't do this enough. When they get stuck into musical-mode, they kind of let the comedy fall where it can in the script...which is fine...but the above two comedies are damned great stories with damned great comedy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11545 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:28 PM

I've never been bothered by Atlantis but if you're claiming that it is ENG levels of funny I absolutely have to check it out...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11546 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 April 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

I've never been bothered by Atlantis but if you're claiming that it is ENG levels of funny I absolutely have to check it out...

It's VERY funny, but it's also a lovely story with a real "fantasy" element to it. It's also the first film Fox did after his Parkinsons diagnoses, and he threw everything into it as a result.

They lean into the stereotypes in some cases for humour, like the Digger character is a frenchman who loves dirt and collects it...he's a "dirty frenchman".

You really should check it out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11547 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:18 PM

I mean.... you had me at Shazam 2, but adding Lucy Liu makes it an opening night appointment.

'Shazam! Fury of the Gods' Casts Lucy Liu as Villain

*link is to variety.com

#11548 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:56 PM

I just watched Promising Young Woman. It's very good. It starts really well, kind of dips in the middle and then picks up again. I want to say more but I think it's one of those where any hints will ruin the feels through the movie.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11549 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 April 2021 - 07:18 PM, said:

I mean.... you had me at Shazam 2, but adding Lucy Liu makes it an opening night appointment.

'Shazam! Fury of the Gods' Casts Lucy Liu as Villain

*link is to variety.com

I am against this, not because I dislike the idea of Lucy Liu as a godess, but that it suggests that they're still afraid of the inherent siliness of most of Shazam's (awesome) rogue's gallery, and because they can't really serious Mr Mind up like they did Sivana they're just sidelining him instead.

#FreeYourMisterMind
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11550 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:42 PM

Atlantis (and to a lesser extent Treasure Planet) are both slept on Disney gems.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11551 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:22 PM

View Postworry, on 16 April 2021 - 09:42 PM, said:

Atlantis (and to a lesser extent Treasure Planet) are both slept on Disney gems.

Atlantis is awesome but Treasure Planet has a special place in my heart...

The book Treasure Island was the first real story book I read as a kid, I had taken a random book from my mother's room and started to read it so I could pretend to be like a "grown-up," it turned out to be Treasure Island... I spent weeks reading it, half the time no idea what was really going on but still loved it and the film now always reminds me of those times.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#11552 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Treasure Island is such a wonderful book! I just have to dock the movie a few points for giving the protagonist a rat tail, a real scourge in sf&f art.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11553 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:07 AM

View Postworry, on 16 April 2021 - 09:42 PM, said:

Agreed, Treasure Planet is one of my favorite nostalgia-bait movies. It's up there with Titan AE (another massive sleeper gem).

I actually don't get why Titan AE bombed. It is genuinely good, and it still holds up. A novel universe that feels lived-in, fleshed-out characters, a decent story, good animation, and some good twists.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 17 April 2021 - 03:13 AM

#11554 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

Watched some movies.

Watched Hobbs and Shaw. I really liked this film up until the last third where it tries to do some kind of A-team prep thing and it's just downright idiotic for 15 minutes. Then it got good again. I love that the film continues the increasingly more stupid and awesome antics of the Fast and Furious films. Eventually I assume the Fast Family will just be able to fly and travel through space and time in Camero.

Watched John Wick 3. That film should have gotten an oscar for best film. What an amazing action film. Imagine going back to the 80s and showing action movie fans the John Wick films. My head would have exploded.

Watched Spider-Man: Far from Home. Great film. I love their fresh takes on the Spider-Man story and the Mysterio angle was really well pulled off. I can't wait to see where they go after that after credits reveal.

Gotta say Tom Holland is starting to show his age. He looks closer to 30 than 15 in this film.

#11555 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:52 AM

Watched Nobody, with Bob Odenkirk as the titular character. Good fun a la John Wick.
Not surprising since it's from basically the same crew, and I read somewhere they haven't ruled out a crossover. Which would be FUCKING AWESOME!

Switch your brain off and enjoy eight creative ways to die (ie a teapot?) out of ten.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 April 2021 - 11:52 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11556 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:08 PM

Think I'm going to get into an alt-western mini film watch today with The Rider and First Cow.

The Rider is directed by Chloé Zhao, who is up for Oscar nods tonight for Nomadland, which I've read differing opinions on. Some folks say it's too depressing and I guess a lot of that is fed by collectively people aren't in that mindset of watching depressing content currently due to pandemic year. I've heard good things about The Rider, so figure I'd give it a go and see what kind of chops Zhao has. First Cow seems to be another in the same vein as The Rider. You guys familiar? Do have experience watching films that fall into the alt-western genre?

#11557 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

Spielberg's making a West Side Story film!

I'm not into musicals but 25-30 years after last seeing West Side story, I still occassionally randomly get song snippets running through my head.

#11558 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Watched Starship Troopers. What a weird movie. Poor and cheezy, but something appealing that kept me watching. That boot camp co-ed shower scene surprised me. Really like that they turned the tables and had the male recruit getting razzed for crushing on a fellow soldier, and the female recruit slapping him on the butt has he walked out of the community shower space. Cool that they did that and ahead of the times. That's how I envison the dynamic of the Malazan Army to be. No traditional sex roles, just grunts going in it and relying on each other to make it out. The CGI special effects show their age in the flim, still pretty neat though. Even though Starship Troopers is corny, I enjoyed it somehow. I think there was a sequel, right?

#11559 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 April 2021 - 01:36 AM

There is a CGI tv series that didn't satirize the military and has some pretty good action. There's four more movies.

The third movie is half decent. The rest kinda suck or really suck.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11560 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:23 AM

Rewatched Edge of Tomorrow, still good, still an underrated scifi flick.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users