• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11581 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:13 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 May 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

Also there's the fact that it was the highest grossing film for like a decade. That's why a studio would want to make a lot more of it.

Still, I think Cameron is one of a select few, who has the power to get the okay for the production of 4 movies sight unseen that probably cost a couple billion in CGI.

Indeed. The man's filmography is literally just blockbusters that make BANK repeatedly.

TERMINATOR
ALIENS
THE ABYSS
TERMINATOR 2
TRUE LIES
TITANIC

He's probably the most sure thing in Hollywood today for investors and studios.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11582 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:24 PM

View PostAptorian, on 12 May 2021 - 02:36 PM, said:

Still, I think Cameron is one of a select few, who has the power to get the okay for the production of 4 movies sight unseen that probably cost a couple billion in CGI.

How many billions to hire writers who can transform the universe/story/characters into something interesting?... (First they need to build some time machines....)

#11583 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:34 PM

Re-watched KINGDOM OF HEAVEN: DIRECTOR'S CUT (obviously), and I'm ready to call it the BEST film in Ridley Scott's filmography. I would have argued that GLADIATOR held that spot before this...but multiple re-watches of KoH:DC have shown me the truth.

It is his magnum opus.

It has all the bells and whistles of GLADIATOR, but it's also ambitious AF, challenges perceived western-slants of the conflict within it, features an even larger cast of great actors, and is filled with even more poetic visuals than GLADIATOR.

I used to think that Orlando Bloom has trouble holding it up as the lead, but that's not true. He's on form here and it's just that he's surrounded by such scenery-chewing thespians (people like Jeremy Irons, David Thewlis, and Brendan Gleeson) so it feels like he's out of his depth. But in the quieter scenes where he's largely on his own, or only interacting with a single person, he stands just fine.

Ghassan Massoud (who plays Saladin here) is so enjoyable to watch in this film. He's stoic, and endlessly watchable, and the film treats him (for the most part) as he would have been (perhaps a little less brutal and a little more diplomatic). He fills the role with such gravitas and wisdom.

I realize that large chunks of the internal story is wrong from a history angle...I mean Balian of Ibelin is basically an amalgamation of a few people, but mostly Raymond of Tripoli (who Tiberius; Jeremy Irons is technically meant to be)...but what it does is gives a good tone for the region at the time, and the conflict at play. I will never see the Crusades as anything but a Christian/Western conquerer/colonizer chuck of history, so it's nice that the leads in KoH take the bent of "We all revere this place, let's aim for peace, not war".

And even in a place that ostensibly is the land of the Saracens, even Saladin in this, when Balian threatens to level and burn Jerusalem (including every place of reverence to both religions) rather than let it fall to the Saracens if they keep fighting (they come to terms that Saladin lets every Christian live and get to safety if they surrender the city)...and Saladin ponders if that might be better for all told in the end if all of those places of reverence were destroyed. It's little moments like that which make this film such an enjoyable foray into the era and conflict. They talk in the film about how this began 100 years before this time (in 1099), and it really hits home when you think of it that way. Imagine that someone sacked your city in 1921, and in 2021 we were fighting over it over and over throughout all that time. That would be insane. But that's what occurred, and KEPT occurring (the film ends with Richard the Lionheart seeking to reclaim Jerusalem from Saladin).

Also, I don't think I appreciated the score by Harry Gregson-Williams before. I was stuck on my love of Hans Zimmer's GLADIATOR score, and the fact that Fox INEXPLICABLY marketed KoH: Theatrical Cut with crunchy guitar music (seriously, check it out...it's fucking nuts and terrible)...but Greson-Williams work in the compositions is GORGEOUS, and I've begun listening to it on Spotify and it's completely evocative.

Anyways, that's it. That's my spiel. Ridley's Directors Cut's are always better (hell, even the' 8 minutes more' cut of Robin Hood is better), but in the KoH:DC he's created a masterpiece start to finish. I don't know that he'll ever top this film for its ambition and its beauty. GLADIATOR may be his most crowd-pleasing and commercial success...but KoH is his best IMHO.

EDIT: to add....did anyone else know that Ridley married the woman who played Maximus's (dead) wife in GLADIATOR (Gianina Facio)? She's gad small parts in all his films since then, but yeah...had no idea he married her.

EDIT 2: Also, this has one of my favourite quotes, from David Thewlis: I put no stock in religion. Through the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I've seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and defending those who cannot defend themselves.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 May 2021 - 03:52 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11584 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2021 - 04:07 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 May 2021 - 03:55 PM, said:

I still prefer Gladiator to KoH as I find Rome much more interesting then Templars etc but massive props to KoH when that big gold cross is coming into view as the king comes to Carrack or however it’s spelled.

Fun Fact: That's supposed to be the representation of the "True Cross" that existed in the Holy Land (cover in gold or gold leaf), and reports exist that when it was captured by Saladin's forces in The Battle of Hattin in 1187 (the battle that occurs largely offscreen in the film after Kerak when Guy and Renald ride out to meet Saladin, falling into his trap) that they destroyed it utterly, and this was why in later years when people like Richard the Lionheart sought to ransom it back from Saladin, he refused...because he could not return it, as fanatics in his army rent it asunder. So it was either a bargaining chip that Saladin never buckled to, or it was destroyed years earlier at Hattin. Either way, it was literally lost to history after that.

#11585 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 May 2021 - 04:17 PM, said:

I’d like to see him take a crack at Alexander.

Yes, that would be awesome, and we could wash the taste of the bad Oliver Stone ALEXANDER movie out of our mouths.

#11586 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 May 2021 - 06:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 May 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

I did like the music in that but it was a hot eyeliner filled mess.

Vangelis scores are always great!

Stone has not made a worthwhile film since JFK. The casting and Script of ALEXANDER are both atrocious, and the direction is indulgent to a degree I don't think he'd done since NBK. It's also historically inaccurate at a level that's insane, and it serves no purpose in that fact. It's just a gluttonous film start to finish, and the Directors Cut is worse. What's crazy is that Alexander's life needs no spicing up to make a great movie, there's TONNES of shit he did that would be movie-worthy...but Stone's trash screenplay avoided that so he could have Angelina Jolie and Rosario Dawson get their kit off, and have Colin Farrel ham it up.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 May 2021 - 06:26 PM

#11587 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

View PostCyphon, on 12 May 2021 - 06:41 AM, said:

Looks good, hope it's got some substance behind the style. Suspect that in rubbish modern era trailer style it reveals too much though.

Video wan't working for me. Not sure if it was a regional thing or not, but this one works for me. Looks interesting. The creature sorta looks like an evil Groot.

#11588 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:53 AM

Need to know from you film buffs - (1) What is the best "Bourne" movie to watch? (2) What is the best "Ocean's" movie to watch?

Doesn't need to be any entry based on sequence (or anything like that) or "you should watch that one before any of them." I just want to know which one from each franchise is the best representative of each series. Full stop. GO!

#11589 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

Oceans 11 (Clooney version)

Hmmm Bourne, the first was ace, the second also for different reasons.

I would say 1, as there are a few context bits in 2 outside of the action

#11590 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

First ones for both.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11591 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

Agreed. Ocean's 11 is great, 12 is utter 4th-wall breaking, smug shite and the 3rd is an insincere apology.

Bourne 1 and 2 are great, 3 is unmemorable, 4 (Jeremy Renner) is OK but it's like they tried to do a "This guy is EVEN BETTER RARRRRRR!!!" and only semi-succeeded. 5 (Jason Bourne) was also unmemorable except for the brief Julia Stiles cameo.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 15 May 2021 - 11:01 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11592 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:20 PM

I watched Fast and Furious 8 last night. I don't generally like those movies although I kind of enjoy watching them and scoffing at how they are made for people with the attention span of a gnat. I'm not even sure how many I have seen. I have seen the one with the epic long runway and the first one and the Tokyo one and I think I watched the one where the Brian actor died.

It may have been the glasses of wine I had on top of utter mental exhaustion but it was the most enjoyable film I've seen since I watched Hobbs & Shaw at the cinema in 2019.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11593 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 May 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Agreed. Ocean's 11 is great, 12 is utter 4th-wall breaking, smug shite and the 3rd is an insincere apology.

Bourne 1 and 2 are great, 3 is unmemorable, 4 (Jeremy Renner) is OK but it's like they tried to do a "This guy is EVEN BETTER RARRRRRR!!!" and only semi-succeeded. 5 (Jason Bourne) was also unmemorable except for the brief Julia Stiles cameo.

There was a 5th Bourne movie?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11594 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2021 - 05:26 PM

Counterpoint.

OCEANS 12 is a Perfect movie, and is arguably the best of the trilogy. And at no point does anyone break the 4th wall in it. It is a comfort watch, and one of my top ten best films of all time.

#11595 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 May 2021 - 07:15 PM

Never has it been more brutally highlighted that myself and QT have very, very different tastes.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11596 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 May 2021 - 09:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

Counterpoint.

OCEANS 12 is a Perfect movie, and is arguably the best of the trilogy. And at no point does anyone break the 4th wall in it. It is a comfort watch, and one of my top ten best films of all time.

First you were here "holds hands above head".

Now you're here "holds hand about knee level".

To be fair, I havent watched it since it came out, but i remember being thoroughly unimpressed.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11597 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:49 PM

It’s allowed to be more fun and less serious, the various cast members get inarguably more to do, it’s all overseas which adds a nice fresh tone, the score apes a 1960’s European film, it adds in a great villain who actually challenges the crew (the Night Fox), it adds in both a love story for Rusty, but one that ties into not thieves lifestyle as well AND the overarching narrative with the Night fox, has a clever “wink at the audience” sequence with Julia Roberts, the heist is pulled off halfway through the film and no one knows and the rest is all wonderful pantomime while the true goal is to reunite Lemarc and his daughter.

It’s Soderbergh having FUN with his creation and that warmth penetrates the screen.

I said what I said.

Oh and edit: THIRTEEN is not good, and only gets points for making Linus Thief-famous dad....SuperDave Osborne.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 May 2021 - 11:51 PM

#11598 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2021 - 11:52 PM

You're thinking of Cars 2.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11599 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:20 AM

Sorry QT, I'm sure the 12 cast had a great time together but that is the only thing that shows. It looks like they made the movie for themselves more than the audience.

To me, there are only so many nods and winks to the audience you can have before it becomes 4th wall breaking. OK they didn't directly address the audience, but geez one could argue they did everything short of it.

The antagonist was kinda cool though, in a justified-arrogance kind of way. Until the big reveal.

EDIT:
Ocean's 14 news!

https://www.theshove...a-bet-on-a-dog/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 May 2021 - 01:44 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11600 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:11 AM

Laser dance scene means 12 is the best one. There is no valid counter argument.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users