• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11381 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:50 PM

Christmas movie popularity by state. www.comparitech.com/tv-streaming/christmas-movie-by-state/

A good number of these I've either never heard of or have never seen. Any recommendations?

Tagged with spoiler due to size.
Spoiler

#11382 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:23 PM

Watched the Christmas Chronicles (Netflix original) last weekend, it was a lot of fun, a nice Christmas movie. 8/10 Santa's rocking out in a prison

Watched the sequel there now. Such a drop in quality and enjoyment. 4/10 Santa's performing a totally flat and forgettable song at an airport

#11383 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 December 2020 - 09:23 PM, said:

Watched the Christmas Chronicles (Netflix original) last weekend, it was a lot of fun, a nice Christmas movie. 8/10 Santa's rocking out in a prison

Watched the sequel there now. Such a drop in quality and enjoyment. 4/10 Santa's performing a totally flat and forgettable song at an airport

Watched the sequel with the kids last night. This is 100% accurate.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11384 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:04 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 19 December 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 19 December 2020 - 09:23 PM, said:

Watched the sequel with the kids last night. This is 100% accurate.

Yep, agree.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11385 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:51 PM

Need a recommendation. Which is the best 'classic' A Christmas Carol movie? Has to be classic and authentic to the original tale and not contemporary retelling. So hit me with some suggestions.

#11386 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 December 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

Need a recommendation. Which is the best 'classic' A Christmas Carol movie? Has to be classic and authentic to the original tale and not contemporary retelling. So hit me with some suggestions.

Muppets Christmas Carol is the best one - but it's not traditional like the 1999 Patrick Stewart one or the 1951 version with Alistair Sim.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11387 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Yeah. I was looking for a more traditional telling and atmosphere (love the Victorian era set dressing). I will look for muppet version. I've never seen it. My sister reccomended one that is a musical, I think from the early 70s. Stars an actor ‎Albert Finney I think.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 23 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

#11388 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:23 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 December 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Yeah. I was looking for a more traditional telling and atmosphere (love the Victorian era set dressing). I will look for muppet version. I've never seen it. My sister reccomended one that is a musical, I think from the early 70s. Stars an actor ‎Albert Finney I think.

I personally like the Patrick Stewart '99 version. If I'm not mistaken, there is more detail to some of the story (the Christmas Past visits, for example) than some other versions?

#11389 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 December 2020 - 08:03 PM

hmm.. that's two mentions of the Patrick Stewart version. I will track it down, but if he says "make is so number one" when commanding Bob Cratchit to work Christmas Eve, I'm going soil myself. That would be straight up pandering to Star Trek fans.

#11390 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:57 PM

Muppet's one is definitely the best, very faithful to the story too.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11391 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:45 AM

Blackadder's Christmas Carol is the best. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11392 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:08 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 23 December 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

hmm.. that's two mentions of the Patrick Stewart version. I will track it down, but if he says "make is so number one" when commanding Bob Cratchit to work Christmas Eve, I'm going soil myself. That would be straight up pandering to Star Trek fans.

He doesn't do that but he does say "Engage" to signal Cratchitt to begin carving the goose...

#11393 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:40 PM

Another +1 for the muppet version, still my favourite by a long way
meh. Link was dead :(

#11394 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 24 December 2020 - 03:45 AM, said:

Blackadder's Christmas Carol is the best. :D

This is also true.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11395 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 December 2020 - 07:55 PM

Watched WONDER WOMAN 1984. It’s fine...but it’s basically SUPERMAN II, with a dash of BATMAN FOREVER, too many villains and only about 2 action set pieces. It’s also 2.5 hours long with not much to justify the run time. The opening sequence is great, the score is great, Gal is great...but Pedro Pascal AND Kristen Wiig are both at the mercy of their TERRIBLY written versions of Max Lord and Barbara Minerva/Cheetah respectively. They do their best acting-wise with the script they were given...but it’s a whiffer.

I feel like Patty Jenkins has it in her to make a really good flick, but somewhere she gets lost in her own head about It. There ar bright shining spots of greatness in it, but overall WW84 doesn’t even really match up to the original film (which itself had issues).

——————-

I also watched the new Netflix George Clooney (acted and starring him)..THE MIDNIGHT SKY...it’s decent, but it’s set at a glacial pace and the denouement which should be dramatic and emotional is sort of just there and you wonder why you watched...because it feels very slice of life post-apocalyptic...which makes no sense, but it’s the best way to describe it. Also, who knew Ethan Peck could play a spot on young version of Clooney and mimic his speech patterns. Worth watching still? I think so...but be very wary it’s a super slow burn with not a tonne of oomph to it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 December 2020 - 07:58 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11396 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 December 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

I’m hearing lots and I mean lotssssss of WW84 bashing.

I don’t want to bash it, but it’s hard not to be critical of aspects of it that are glaringly bad.

The best I can say for it is that it’s a 1980’s George Perez WW comic come to life...

#11397 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:08 PM

There's a lot of hay being mown over the WW84 racist shittiness of the children playing soccer rescue scene, the "abduct a person's body and life" plot thing that turns into kinda sexual assault, and the stupid plot holes like "why didn't she fly before if she's 90+ years old" etc.

This movie sounds terrible.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 28 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

#11398 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 December 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

There's a lot of hay being mown over the WW84 racist shittiness of the children playing soccer rescue scene, the "abduct a person's body and life" plot thing that turns into kinda sexual assault, and the stupid plot holes like "why didn't she fly before if she's 90+ years old" etc.

The optics on the racism are worse because we know Gal supported Israeli air strikes back in 2014 that killed Palestinian women and children.

And the body swap thing is so strange. There’s literally no reason that the “wish” about Steve could not have just been him returning in his own body...the body swap thing was hella weird and pointless.

There’s also a scene where WW and Steve (who flew prop planes in WWI) get in an inexplicably FULLY fueled up jet at the Smithsonian, he’s able to fly it with no issues And Flies THROUGH July 4th fireworks (basically flak)...it’s asinine and unbelievable.

#11399 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:53 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 December 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

This movie was terrible and I at times was playing on my phone, what racist soccer scene? And Steve Trevor took over sometimes body? I missed that.

#11400 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:47 PM

I'm talking about the convoy scene where Arab kids are playing soccer in the middle of nowhere for movie reasons, Wonder Woman uses a rocket launcher to propel herself to them, grabs them, and the convoy trucks move for her like they wouldn't have moved for the Arab kids.

Chris Pine hijacks another man's body and then WW bangs him in that freshly seized body.

A whole bunch of stuff like that adds up to one weird movie that just didn't have to be like this.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 28 December 2020 - 11:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users