• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11241 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:08 AM

Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Finally watched it. I was sort of lukewarm about it upon completion. It was alright. It didn't suck. Some cool fan service and backstory tidbits. BTW, I thought Chewy ripped a guy's arms off when being cheated during a game of the hologram-monster-chess game. That's from Star Wars New Hope, yeah? Solo had him do it during the escape caper, slave camp sequence. But yeah. neat origin story of the Han Solo mystique. The last name Solo has a dumb origin though. Emilia Clarke's acting grates on me now. I enjoyed her early on in GoT, but her acting and the range she shows is very narrow and it just annoys me now. So much so that it is a distraction when I watch her performances. Needed more Donald Glover as Lando. Can tell it was a Ron Howard movie. His weird brother and Willow had cameos.

Solo is not as good as Rogue One. Had some fun fan service, very formulaic, Star Wars template, but I guess that's what the booger eaters want. Enjoyed it enough I suppose. Are there going to be any more of these "one off" Star Wars movies? Seems as if they were going to explore (or hinted at anyway) the planet Tatoonie and Jabba the Hut and his criminal enterprise.

#11242 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:02 PM

Put out with the DC ThunderDome event today. I've sorta sold my stock on the actress who plays Wonder Woman after that tone-deaf "Imagine" bullshit ... but celebrities, gonna celebrity I guess. I'll probably still watch, eventually, years later sometime. I enjoyed the first one, so I imagine I will like this one. It has a cool retro vibe, for sure.

#11243 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

https://mobile.twitt...253707172794369

Suicide Squad

Yep. I’m officially excited.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 22 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11244 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

Midsommar.

What the hell did I just watch? Anyone? Mom? Dad? ... help. Posted Image

#11245 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:32 AM

Chadwick Boseman has died after a 4 year battle with colon cancer apparently.

https://www.tmz.com/...r-colon-cancer/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11246 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:36 AM

I had no idea he was even sick. What a terrible loss.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11247 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:31 AM

In a more uplifting vein, Bill and Ted Face the Music early reviews are mostly pretty positive. Excellent!

https://editorial.ro...-first-reviews/
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11248 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

...and it’s available for rent on iTunes for $20, so you can watch it now!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11249 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

Watched Tenet earlier.

Not sure what to think about it. The writing, editing, cinematography in general is great as always with a Christopher Nolan film but the actual story and the way the inversion stuff is presented makes little sense. Great action sequences but filled with nonsense.

Maybe this is a case of the film being rewarding on a second viewing, maybe I just need somebody to make a YouTube video explaining the events in a story board format or something but mainly I just don't think the story makes much sense.

There's some large plot holes in there as is typical of time travel hijinx but I think that there's also a lot of handwaving going on.

#11250 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 01 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

I saw The Old Guard (Netflix "original") movie over the weekend. Knowing absolutely nothing about the source material, I thought the movie itself was pretty damn good. Possibly the best Netflix movie I've seen. Though I didn't watch Bird Box or A Quiet Place. It certainly looks like they want to do a sequel and I would probably watch it. I liked the minor twist/reveal near the end that sets up the potential sequel.

#11251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

Watched BILL & TED FACE THE MUSIC last night. It was really fun. Goofy just like the first two, with just enough of what made the two work, along with a really cool message about fatherhood and legacy.

Solid stuff. Pretty much what I wanted from it.

EDIT: Death steals the show again (William Sadler is just so awesome), and the robot...is annoying AF, but isn't TOO big a presence, and everyone else in the script seems well aware of how annoying he is.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 September 2020 - 11:28 AM

#11252 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

Finally got around to watching Joker.

It was...just ok. At best.

Joaquin Phoenix was awesome, but thats about it. Maybe it was overhyped by some, but i was thoroughly unimpressed.

#11253 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:07 PM

Watched the Wedding Singer last night, the lady wife had never seen it, I haven't watched it in years.

Still holds up well, funny in the same places, early Sandler trump's new Sandler still by miles

#11254 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:19 PM

Best overall Sandler movie IMO.

Or at least my favorite.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 07 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

#11255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

I’m still partial to Happy Gilmore, but yeah wedding singer is a close second for best.

Also, if you’ve not watched it yet, Sandler’s latest standup special (100% Fresh) on Netflix is gold and hilarious.

#11256 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:53 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 29 August 2020 - 03:31 AM, said:

In a more uplifting vein, Bill and Ted Face the Music early reviews are mostly pretty positive. Excellent!

https://editorial.ro...-first-reviews/

Whoa.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11257 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

Watched A Star is Born.

It's not bad, but I don't think it was worthy of all the awards it was nominated for, other than for the music. It goes from 0 to 100 right off the start, so you have to buy into this relationship without much set up. After that, I sorta found the rest of the movie was laid out in individual intense scenes strung together without much in between. It was sort of distracting and odd to watch a movie that used such an approach, from my perspective. You will get misty eyed though, so have your box of tissue ready.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

#11258 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

Le Pacte de Loups

I need to rewatch that also. Watched it in theaters when it first came out and a few times since, but it’s been probably a decade.

#11259 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 September 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

Le Pacte de Loups

I need to rewatch that also. Watched it in theaters when it first came out and a few times since, but it’s been probably a decade.

GREAT film. I re-watch it ever few years too. It's such a stunningly well made film, with a cool story to boot.

#11260 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

I got access to Amazon Prime Movies... went on a bit of a binge on my days off.

Spiderman: Far from Home: A very meh affair. It felt like Marvel rushed something out here that wasn't really ready to go. I enjoyed the actors, but the plot felt very forced. Almost like half a movie. But, entertaining none the less. I love me some Gyllenhal (sp). 6.5/10.

Knives Out: Very cute. Fun and quirky. Reminded me of Wes Anderson movies in that vein. Daniel Craig attempting a southern drawl of some sort was interesting. I liked when the movie directly pointed to it. 8/10.

Zombieland 2: NRA Boogaloo. Can't match the first and I'm not sure if it was really trying or metaing that it would never be able to match the first. Entertaining overall, but felt like the characters were just hand-waved a lot. The scene of the carbon copies of the guys was great though. 5/10.

Hereditary: Just fucking wow. What a fantastic horror movie. It made me thoroughly uncomfortable throughout. Even knowing the ending I was quite taken and had to take breaks to just break the immersion. A theater experience would have been pretty overwhelming. 8.5/10.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users