• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10581 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:26 PM

This is a pretty neat time waster. Google 'Thanos', then click the Infinity Gauntlet on the right. Sit back and enjoy. Click again once it's done.
Posted Image

#10582 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 April 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Watched BLACKkKLANSMAN last night and REALLY enjoyed it.

I've never seen John David Washington before, but he was incredible throughout, and Adam Driver proves once again to be a phenomenal actor.

And I'm hit and miss with liking or dis-liking Spike Lee joints, (DO THE RIGHT THING, MALCOM X, and INSIDE MAN are amazing, but SUMMER OF SAM, HE GOT GAME and his remake of OLDBOY not so much)...but this was peak Lee for me. He deftly takes a really visceral subject matter, doesn't shy away from the disturbing and prevalent shitiness of the era...but then makes it into a procedural, with a lot of humour and team dynamics as well. And what I thought was REALLY great were the not-so-subtle jabs in-story to the Trump Administration (It being posited to Ron that one day people like David Duke would lead to people in the hallways of power acting just like Duke behind the shield of politics and his disbelief that his country could fall so far)...and to cap the whole thing off by showing the Trump-era shit in the news (to show how far we still all have to go as a society) was the perfect coup de grace.

Wonderful and poignant film. Probably one of my fave Lee films ever.

Just watched this (it's on HBO right now), and I agree with your review (except I liked He Got Game, even if it's not top tier). Washington doesn't necessarily look like his dad too much, but he sounds almost exactly like him, which is kind of distracting in a funny way. And speaking of funny, this movie is very funny, very often -- sometimes lol funny, and sometimes very uneasy laughs. It's full of really well-cast minor characters too -- every single person with a speaking role pops off the screen, and it's remarkable -- one of Spike Lee's greatest talents. Going into it, I knew there were some critiques out there about making a movie about race in America where the police were the protagonists -- and there's certainly validity to that -- but after having watched it I think Spike Lee was aware of that tension and it suffuses the story without any pat answers, even by the end. So it doesn't shy away from that conversation, and it doesn't sugarcoat it either.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10583 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:08 PM

The Oath -- Ike Barenholtz & Tiffany Haddish are a married couple in a slightly-alt-world America where the president devises a loyalty oath that Americans can 'voluntarily' sign to show their patriotism. The deadline is Black Friday, and Ike & Tiff are hosting Ike's more conservative family for Thanksgiving this year. Tension & hilarity ensue.
Not great, but pretty good. It's on the same wavelength as It's A Disaster a few years back (that dark comedy disaster movie with David Cross & America Ferrera), especially because it feels like a bottle episode in movie form, but I found it mostly funny and savvier than expected.

#10584 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

Dang, RIP to John Singleton. Only 51 years old. Had a stroke last week, passed away after being taken off life support today.

#10585 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

I watched BlackkKlansman yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I dunno, it might not be popular in the US, I don't fully understand the nuances of what's good or not in the American social discourse, but I thought it was poignant and deeply disturbing. But also very funny, which was needed considering the brutal theme of the story.

Washington was incredible, but I was also deeply impressed by Adam Driver.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#10586 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Ok, I need your guys' help. So, I've only seen a smattering of the Marvel movies. I don't want to reveal which ones, but I will say I haven't seen any of the Thanos movies. So I need your help in lining up the ones (correct order) to watch so I can enjoy the latest film. Please help your uncle Malankazooie, he is woefully behind the hip and cool (in the know) feelz that y'all are having. The water cooler talk at my work is such a presence of stress for me because I can't talk with my co-workers about anything relative to Avengers Endgame. I have to pretend I'm 'that guy' and put of the facade that super hero movies are just not my thing. FOMO is destroying my life! Please help!

#10587 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 May 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Ok, I need your guys' help. So, I've only seen a smattering of the Marvel movies. I don't want to reveal which ones, but I will say I haven't seen any of the Thanos movies. So I need your help in lining up the ones (correct order) to watch so I can enjoy the latest film. Please help your uncle Malankazooie, he is woefully behind the hip and cool (in the know) feelz that y'all are having. The water cooler talk at my work is such a presence of stress for me because I can't talk with my co-workers about anything relative to Avengers Endgame. I have to pretend I'm 'that guy' and put of the facade that super hero movies are just not my thing. FOMO is destroying my life! Please help!

Avengers 1, Thor 2, and GotG in any order, then Thor 3 then Infinity War, then Endgame would be the minimum. Adding Doctor Strange, Avengers 2, and Captain America Civil War, before Thor 3 would also be beneficial.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10588 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

This guy here is dead!

Cross him off then...
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10589 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

I tried watching The Wandering Earth, based off the book and newly out on Netflix, which got steadily dumber and dumber until I had to turn it off less than 10 minutes in.

Spoilers galore
Spoiler

It's shit, don't even fucking bother
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10590 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

But you only watched 10 minutes. Maybe the other 90 minutes is award winning cinematography.

You should watch the rest and report back otherwise I can't take you seriously.

#10591 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Yeah I read somewhere that it's a few days delayed in the US, should be out in the next couple of days.

In any case I'll probably give it a try but I'm not that surprised there are dumbnesses in it because Liu's Three Body Problem was, despite being fun and having some nice ideas in it, amazingly dumb. I'm hoping it'll annoy me less in a cheesy Armaggedon-ish blockbuster than in a book that was somewhat presenting itself as hard SF.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 04 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10592 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

Yes. Yes I am watching the Baywatch movie. I'm enjoying it immensely but I think Zac Effron has had his face grafted onto someone's body. Or they have painted his abs on. It's really weird looking.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#10593 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 04 May 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

Yes. Yes I am watching the Baywatch movie. I'm enjoying it immensely but I think Zac Effron has had his face grafted onto someone's body. Or they have painted his abs on. It's really weird looking.

I thought that movie was great popcorn fun for about 60ish%, then it completely falls apart.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 04 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10594 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

The Predator (it's on HBO!): not great. Its about as dumb as a Gears of War game, which tbh could be very appealing in a Predator movie, and some parts of it coast on that level satisfactorily, but it also whiffs as often as it succeeds. And there's also insanely stupid and retrograde gay panic jokes and stuff like that, that shouldn't have been there in the 80s let alone survived them.

Any scenes where the alien is killing people are pretty good. It does not shy away from their super-efficient, but sometimes cat-and-mouse playful, killing machine nature. (Except when it inexplicably spares people).

On the other hand, the lead (some dude named Boyd Holbrook, who's what you get if you photocopy a photocopy of a photocopy of Charlie Hunnam) is a black hole where leading man charisma goes to die. Fortunately some of the supporting cast chew the scenery in fittingly dumb-fun ways. Sterling K Brown & Keegan Michael Key especially. The last third of the movie is super chopped up and feels like it -- IMDB trivia suggests a lot of it was reshot and a whole storyline with Edward James Olmos was cut out -- and it's a frustrating mix of cool Predator stuff and barely-followable action.

Rating: 2 out of 5 predator dogs (oh yah there are predator dogs).

#10595 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:01 AM

I watched the Indonesian action film Headshot on Netflix. It's not exactly subtle and it's absolutely bruuuuuuuutal but I enjoyed it a lot. Fight choreography (co-ordinated by Iko Uwais himself which makes me like him more considering how much shit he allows his character to take) is excellent, it squeezes some nice story touches into most of the action scenes too, and it has one of the most preposterously, enjoyably evil villains I've seen in time. Good stuff for those who like that kind of thing.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10596 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Watched EXTREMELY WICKED, SHOCKINGLY EVIL, AND VILE on Netflix, which is the Zac Efron-starring Ted Bundy drama. As someone who enjoys true crime, this flick does only one thing well (show how some killers don't look or sound like monsters)...but in doing that it does a disservice to every one of Bundy's victims. They go out of their way to frame the first hour+ of the runtime never showing Bundy's activities beyond getting traffic stopped with some paraphernalia in his car...and attempt to make him sympathetic in the "I didn't do this" mold. You never see him doing anything that can even be construed as a Red Flag. Now, we all know who we are watching, but this tact of showing the criminal as an "I was framed, this isn't me" would only really work in fiction where you don't know the outcome. So here we are watching Ted fucking Bundy (one of the worst serial killers in history, who was a goddamn necro to boot) being played as if he's the victim of a smear campaign for an hour. Even in the second hour when the court proceedings are occurring we are meant to see a grandstanding guy who "might" have made a good lawyer (another weird point the movie makes) and not a criminal scrambling and trying to keep his ass out of the chair. The final few minutes has a confession about a decapitation of one girl that allows the female lead to see him for who he is...and then a single shot of a list of the victims names and then credits.

Joe Berlinger attempted to be stylistic in this. Try to show us how nondescript, charming, and disarming Bundy was to not only his victims, but a number of women at the time who followed the case and could not convince themselves this good looking (I don't see it frankly) guy did these heinous things. Berlinger tries to put us into that slot of unawareness...but the problem is that we are all MORE than well aware. It's been more than 40 years and this guy has been a true crime staple for most of that time because of how prolific and high profile this was...so as a result the attempt to unseat us like the women in the case were lands with a massive clunk.

Bottom line: Disrespectful to the real victims, and pandering to some audience that really doens't exist of people entirely in the dark about Bundy. It also gives Bundy more of what he wanted in life....press.

This is twice Berlinger has done this, as he also did the Bundy Tapes Doc on Netflix as well and it basically revolves around Bundy's own taped confessions and gives little (if any) time to the victims.

So swing and a miss twice. But then, this is the guy who fucked up the Blair Witch sequel all those years ago, so....I'm unsurprised?

Anyway, it's a waste of time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10597 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

View PostDrek, on 02 May 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 May 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Avengers 1, Thor 2, and GotG in any order, then Thor 3 then Infinity War, then Endgame would be the minimum. Adding Doctor Strange, Avengers 2, and Captain America Civil War, before Thor 3 would also be beneficial.

View PostBriar King, on 03 May 2019 - 12:41 AM, said:

Need Spider-Man, and atleast probably Ant 2 in there as well.

Civil War is a must imo as is Black Panther.

I'd probably lead off with Iron Man 1 and Captain America 1. I have a tough time recommending Thor 2, but it does introduce an Infinity Stone and get strong callbacks in Endgame.

I'd say Ant-Man & The Wasp is more important than Doctor Strange (most of what you need to know beforehand about Strange you get in Ragnarok) and I agree Civil War is a must, but you get enough with Spidey there that Homecoming isn't really necessary. Black Panther and Cap Marvel are both great, but not required to understand their place in Infinity War/Endgame. (The most important part of Cap Marvel in that regard is the after-credits bit.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10598 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

Just saw Avengers Endgame. Loved it and hated it.

As always when watching these superhero films and shows, I have a hard time divesting the image I have from the comics from the on screen story.

There's so many things about the way they write the characters and present them that just doesn't agree with me. It's a light product, watered down for as broad appeal as possible.

That said I think Endgame is a tribute to ten years of movie history. There's so many nods and callbacks to new and old stories, it's impossible to not get swepped away at times.

I was surprised by how final some of the farewells are in this film. Obviously they'll try to make another generation of Marvel films eventually. I was expecting then to do some actor swaps and handwave it with reality hijinx.

#10599 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

Soooo.... with both Decetive Picachu and Sonic lioned up for release soon, is this Nintendo's version of Marvel's 'Phase one' and are we working towards a Smash Brothers franchise...?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10600 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostBriar King, on 09 May 2019 - 02:56 AM, said:

Is anyone actually going to watch Tolkien or just wait for tv screen?

Saw some awful reviews for it, so I might just skip it altogether.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users