• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10561 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 18 April 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 April 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

Two of the better characters from the franchise in a movie all on their own where they team up against a superpowered Idris Elba? I'm throwing my money at the screen right now. This is going to be amazing and batshit.

Directed by David Leitch AKA the John Wick/Atomic Blonde/Deadpool 2 dude, no less.

:)

I did not know that! Excellent.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10562 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

That movie is going to be very ... kinetic.

:)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10563 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

Blindspotting -- pretty good. I didn't love it, but I'm still thinking about it, which is probably just as good. It swings in and out of predictability as it goes along, plot-wise, but performances are very good, it's adventurous (not nearly so much as Sorry To Bother You, but there are occasional heightened moments and they all work), and its characters are nuanced and complicated (these characters would be very very easy to get wrong). It's also very funny, but takes issues of identity, privilege, and gentrification very seriously even while it's being funny.

Pacific Rim: Uprising -- not very good. I don't know why. It just feels weirdly empty, even though it's not necessarily as outright dumb as it could have been. It takes so many shortcuts it feels like a CliffsNotes version of itself. At the same time, however contradictory, it feels like you're waiting for something to happen most of the time.

Older stuff I watched:
Murder On the Orient Express -- the Albert Finney version. This ruled. Can't imagine seeing Finney do Poirot and thinking "You know who would do this justice? Kenneth Branagh!"

The Adventures of Tintin -- this was fun! I've never read the comics but I caught on to the tone and characters pretty quick, and it was a solid adventure w/ multiple cool set pieces. There's a chase scene near the end that is so well choreographed and exciting!

Scanners -- hadn't seen this since I was very little, so remembered nothing (aside from the head explosion gif). Goofy fun with a few lulls, but it brings the body horror in such extravagant ways.

Also, that brings me to: the Criterion Channel is live! I've started the noir series and "My Name Is Julia Ross" was so good.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10564 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

View Postworry, on 19 April 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

The Adventures of Tintin -- this was fun! I've never read the comics

Oh.
My.
Days.

The Tintin movie was fine but the comics are so much better it's not even funny you've got a world of awesomeness ahead of you if you fancy it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10565 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:29 PM

Saw Captain Marvel tonight. Excellent film. Everything about it popped just right.

However, it was stressful as all fuck to watch.

Never.

EVER.

Call a character Goose if the air force are involved.

ESPECIALLY THE CAT.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#10566 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:51 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 April 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 19 April 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

The Adventures of Tintin -- this was fun! I've never read the comics

Oh.
My.
Days.

The Tintin movie was fine but the comics are so much better it's not even funny you've got a world of awesomeness ahead of you if you fancy it.

You know what that means! Time to put this 23-book box set I found on Amazon for $157 onto my Wishlist and look at it wistfully over the years w/o ever pulling the trigger, like I do with the Peanuts and Sandman collections.

#10567 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

The Library is your friend.

You should also check out Spirou and Fantasio if you like Tin Tin. I liked those better than Tin Tin as a child.

#10568 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:15 AM

Watched Ghost in the Shell, knowing nothing about the source material. It was pretty rubbish.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10569 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2019 - 01:15 AM, said:

Watched Ghost in the Shell, knowing nothing about the source material. It was pretty rubbish.

The 1999 animated version or the 2018 live action?

#10570 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

The latter. With Scarlett Johansson.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10571 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Saw Dunkirk for the first time. It was enjoyable enough, but I was kind of underwhelmed tbh. Maybe because the experience is really meant for Imax w/ Dolby Atmos? Some of those camera angles over the ocean were breath taking and to experience that on Imax would have been wonderful I imagine, and also the sound; the stuka sirens screaming around you with premium theater sound would have been immersive af.

war is crazy shit - https://www.youtube....h?v=LCB8ZVxKqyI

#10572 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:07 PM

Watched MAMMA MIA: HERE WE GO AGAIN.

It was fun, but not a scratch on the first film. I also feel like some things happen just so they could happen and not for any narrative reason. Cher did not need to be in this film. Her whole section felt tacked on just so they could have Cher in the film singing ABBA songs. There is also the quotient of her being absent from both Donna and Sophie's lives...only to show up in the end to sing. Like why are you here Absentee Grandma? And that leads to tacked on Andy Garcia who is only in the movie because Cher hand-picked him as her love interest.

We also watched PITCH PERFECT 3....which was...fine I guess. There is a LOT of this film that is entirely needless though. Ramming the 'A Capella' Judges that Banks and whatshisname play into this, even though they are essentially playing USO shows...is nonsense. The idea that these two would make a documentary is insane. The whole 'Fat Amy's Dad Is a Criminal John Lithgow Involved With The Mob' plot line is TERRIBLE, and needless. Yes, it blows out the run time, but man it's pointless and unemotional. They started off well with the Girls at the USO shows with other bands and them competing....why that didn't just continue to be the plot is beyond me. They just kind of leave it dangling for an hour until the end scene. They also completely re-hash the "Beca is a great singer on her own, let's lure her away from the Bella's" plot from the first film, and mix it up in a bowl with the "Beca is a great producer" plot line from the second film. They also needlessly remove the original lead male characters from the cast, to establish new romantic leads for Beca and Chloe...which pushes the trilogy out on a sour note. There is no reason that Beca and Jesse to break up, nor Amy and Bumper, nor Emily and Benji...at leads no narrative reasons beyond "Our girls are in Europe and need to be unfettered and single"....which is so much a copout. Especially Jesse who we spent two movies with growing alongside Beca and fine tuning their relationship.

The songs were good? Otherwise this was a meh....and it's now clear why Banks left the Directors chair (creative differences) on this and it was picked up a year later by Trish Sie (who had like one film under her belt and it shows).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10573 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 April 2019 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

I knew that was going to be the answer before i saw the second post. ;)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10574 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:01 PM

#################### NERD ALERT! ####################

HBO is going to have a 'first look' at the Tolkien biopic later today (evening here in the US). It's listed at being 15 min. long, which is probably about 10 min. of actual Tolkien content when the mini trailers for upcoming HBO programming are taken into consideration.

#10575 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 April 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 April 2019 - 03:42 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 April 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

I knew that was going to be the answer before i saw the second post. ;)

It was just so... Bland! Which for a "futuristic cyborg in a neon hi tech society with tons of fighting" film is actually quite an achievement!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10576 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 April 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

#################### NERD ALERT! ####################

HBO is going to have a 'first look' at the Tolkien biopic later today (evening here in the US). It's listed at being 15 min. long, which is probably about 10 min. of actual Tolkien content when the mini trailers for upcoming HBO programming are taken into consideration.

I want a follow up 20min segment where Tolkien's surviving family talks shit about it in Elvish verse.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10577 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

I am sooo looking forward to this! Not just because it looks amazing, but my son is 6 and although we've been to see a few movies now, this will blow his socks off as he's such a Godzilla fan. Really looking forward to sharing it with him!

https://youtu.be/6prr2MIHE0Q
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#10578 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:38 PM

Yup!

#10579 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Welcome the fuck back.

Deadwood movie. May 31 @ 8PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=s0WrXmhvXTA
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#10580 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 25 April 2019 - 06:58 PM, said:

Welcome the fuck back.

Deadwood movie. May 31 @ 8PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=s0WrXmhvXTA

Swedgen!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users