• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#12741 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 October 2023 - 02:04 PM

I'd be interested in following the girl you mention QT. I want to educate myself more and while it won't be easy to watch I can't shy away. What's her tiktok?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12742 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 October 2023 - 02:17 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 October 2023 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'd be interested in following the girl you mention QT. I want to educate myself more and while it won't be easy to watch I can't shy away. What's her tiktok?

Oh yeah sure, her name is Bisan, and her handle is @wizard_bisan1 she's got three remaining videos up since this all began, but TikTok has deleted a lot of them cause I know I'd seen more than that.

I also follow a local press guy that seems to have a big following, who's on the ground inside Gaza as well named @Moataz.azaziza @motaz_Azaiza he's worth a follow too for an unvarnished look at things inside the place.

Oh EDIT: And one other is @byplestia, she's a young girl documenting her time there as well, but she's been silent for a week now and I'm concerned she's no longer safe or even alive?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2023 - 02:45 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12743 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 October 2023 - 02:33 PM

Just in case that's a typo, I think the middle one is @motaz_azaiza at least on Insta. Definitely worth a follow, but you might also want to take care in terms of frequency, as "unvarnished" is an understatement. His reporting and footage is unflinching and death is a constant.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12744 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 October 2023 - 02:43 PM

View Postworry, on 26 October 2023 - 02:33 PM, said:

Just in case that's a typo, I think the middle one is @motaz_azaiza at least on Insta. Definitely worth a follow, but you might also want to take care in terms of frequency, as "unvarnished" is an understatement. His reporting and footage is unflinching and death is a constant.

Yep you're right. My bad, it turns out I was following a booster account that was reposting stuff he'd posted under that name.

On TikTok the real account is indeed @motaz_Azaiza as well.

Thanks Worry for the clarification.

I'll revise the post.

And yeah, I guess unvarnished is an understatement. I've been immersed in this for days so as not to look away, and it keeps bringing me to tears.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 October 2023 - 02:45 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12745 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 October 2023 - 01:02 AM

Killers of the Flower Moon is incredible - it's beautifully told, deeply sad, and such an indictment of the multiple levels of white crooks stealing and murdering the Osage (and other First Nations) people.

The depiction of automatic incompetence and the legal system failing to arrive at justice (plus literally being used as shows twice over - the radio play and the movie itself) may go less noticed than the overt violence. They're equally important.

I'm prepared to call it a top 2 Scorsese movie and I might put it over Raging Bull with time if this impression stays strong on a repeat watching.

It's that good. Thelma Schoonmaker should win an Oscar for what they've made with this movie.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12746 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 November 2023 - 10:35 PM

Looks gorgeous.

#12747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 November 2023 - 11:31 AM

View Postworry, on 02 November 2023 - 10:35 PM, said:

Looks gorgeous.

As is usual, Miyazaki delivers. A few of my close friends saw it at TIFF and they said it's one of his best. Can't wait to see it.

#12748 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2023 - 03:11 PM

I....WHY are we remaking MEAN GIRLS with new actors playing the roles (except inexplicably Meadows and Fey?!) and hitting much of the same story beats just adjusted to the 2020's?

Why not just make a long sequel with the next generation? Why a reboot? I hate everything about this.

EDIT: Oh, it's based off the MUSICAL which itself was based off the movie....so you know...not convoluted at all, and they've hidden the song/dance sequences for some reason? Marketing fail?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 November 2023 - 03:17 PM

#12749 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 November 2023 - 03:53 PM

Yah, the trailer doesn't have a single sung moment does it? There's clearly some quick choreography shots if you already know it's a musical, but the trailer seems strangely coy about that whole element -- which should be like the big selling point of the whole production?

#12750 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2023 - 04:04 PM

View Postworry, on 10 November 2023 - 03:53 PM, said:

Yah, the trailer doesn't have a single sung moment does it? There's clearly some quick choreography shots if you already know it's a musical, but the trailer seems strangely coy about that whole element -- which should be like the big selling point of the whole production?

It should be the ONLY selling point. "Hey, remember that movie? The is the music version as a movie! Come have fun!"....the trailer makes it look like a bland updated reboot.

#12751 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 November 2023 - 01:06 PM

As noted in the politics thread, there is a VERY good recentish documentary by American filmmaker Abby Martin on Gaza, the struggle of the Palestinians for freedom and what Israel has been doing to them. It's entirely free on YouTube and is well worth a watch as it dives into most areas of knowledge on the subject. I know some people aren't on that thread, so I figured I'd post it here as it's very relevant to the world right now and very educational. Called GAZA FIGHTS FOR FREEDOM. It focuses down on the unarmed, peaceful Great March of Return in 2018 where so many Palestinians lost their lives for doing nothing but protesting for their freedom, but also dives into things like the Nakba, the Irgun, and other elements of the struggle against their occupier.

One of the things it so clearly laid out was that the American news spewed Israeli propaganda the whole time, CNN, Fox, everyone....that this was a Hamas riot/attack attempt...when it was organized by students who just approached the border fences to protest their captivity...Hamas had nothing to do with it....but that's the line the Israelis fed the Americans and that's the line they spewed on mainstream news for weeks leading up to it....the footage and stories of the actual lead up to the event and the event itself prove how much those news outlets were lying through their complicit teeth. It was super eye opening to see them juxtapose a lying media against the truth in actual video footage.

EDIT: I'd say there are SOME trigger warnings here as you do see more than one sniper shots of people in the second half during the protest.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 November 2023 - 01:13 PM

#12752 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 November 2023 - 02:57 AM

I watched Renfield tonight. Nicholas Cage as Dracula. Oh it's good.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12753 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:08 AM

Movie Roundup:

Across the Spider-Verse: As good as its reputation. A visual marvel (no pun intended) with a story to back it up. Not much to say except this series is firing on all cylinders. Maybe the only big screen thing transcending superhero fatigue.

TMNT: Mutant Mayhem: Thought this was decent. It somewhat sacrifices individualizing the four turtles for the sake of making them more realistic teenagers (I mean, relatively speaking), but some of their traditional archetypes shine through anyway. And the sacrifice was probably worth it, as the voice actors are all great and believable. Overall, this is very much its own thing, its own continuity, and I'm not 100% happy with how the characterization of some of the other mutants (two in particular) shook out, but apparently there will be a 2-season TV series before the sequel so maybe some dynamics will change. Anyway, as its own thing it works and was decently fun.

Blue Beetle: This instantly jumped to the top of my DCEU movie list. I'd say "Top 5" but there weren't 5 I liked that much, so it's not the hugest compliment. It's in most big picture ways a pretty standard comic book movie, and superhero fatigue definitely still applies with the plot and the action, but it does have the best secondary characters (by far) of any DCEU films (namely BB's family), and they remain charming and endearing throughout.

Cobweb: Haunted House movie with Lizzy Caplan and Anthony Rapp (aka Homelander), whose young son starts hearing things in his bedroom. This was a real dud imo. It starts out pretty generic, which is fine by me if the finale is effective -- and about 2/3s in there's an "up-the-stakes" moment that really works -- and then the final act absolutely craters. The adult leads are both really good though, naturally. Whatever's good in this movie comes from them.

And that's...a wrap!

#12754 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2023 - 09:43 AM

Watched The Flash at the weekend.

Fairly shite except Micheal Keaton

Superhero movie fatigue, time travel twaddle, Ezra Millers voice annoys me greatly, messy and pointless, I haven't been this disinterested in a movie in a long time.

#12755 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:16 PM

I just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once.

What an utterly bonkers and hilarious and brilliant trip that was! Going to take some processing because I've got no idea what was going on half the time but it was so good!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12756 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:55 AM

Just watched The Killer on Netflix. Michael Fassbender is excellent as always.

Warning: this is not the modern assassin film, like John Wick or even the Chow Yun Fat "The Killer". It's a lot slower. But more involving.

One big problem I have though:
Spoiler

But over I'd give it 8 Glocks out of 10. Would be 8.5 but I took 0.5 off for too many Smiths songs on the soundtrack. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 December 2023 - 09:55 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12757 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:01 PM

This looks dumb but I also kind of want to watch it:

https://youtu.be/aDy...n8ypdMbKH_QoZNx

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 13 December 2023 - 10:01 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#12758 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:14 PM

Texas and Cali as an alliance?
Definitely fiction

#12759 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 December 2023 - 04:02 PM

View PostMacros, on 13 December 2023 - 10:14 PM, said:

Texas and Cali as an alliance?
Definitely fiction

Civil war looks great! a24 and garland ill take it.

More than likely if a civil war happened it would be either succession based or a balkanization of America. I see it. 3rd term president is the clue. I'm getting from the clue all Empires Fall...The political group spread from California and have infiltrated many cities. They are funded by California technocrats. They take California <think Berkley> and Texas <think Austin> as the first states to move and take multiple military bases with junior officers/soliders to save the day...
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#12760 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:06 PM

Saw Godzilla Minus One over the weekend. I enjoyed it immensely. Definitely a return to the existential dread of the 1954 original; which is an incredibly grim film. Not sure if the guy who took his 2 young kids to see it was really prepared for sitting through a subtitled film about a failed kamikaze pilot with PTSD and Survivor Guilt making his way through life with his found family (literally for one member of it) in the burned out ruins of postwar Tokyo that occasionally contains an utterly terrifying monster that shoots atomic explosions - mushroom clouds and all - from its mouth. Along with a rather pointed take on the Japanese government's cavalier attitude towards spending the lives of its citizens during WW2.
For the nerds out there, they actually use some Operation Crossroads footage (the Able Baker shot, if I'm not mistaken) in the film as the inciting incident (sort of). This is accurate given the film is set in 1947. Films often tend to use footage of the later Castle Bravo test to depict nuclear tests - to be fair it is far more cinematic. The awful fate of the Lucky Dragon's crew (and others) following that test being the inciting incident for the Godzilla films themselves.
And yes, I admit to being unrepentantly nerdy about both nuclear tests and Godzilla movies.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 18 December 2023 - 11:45 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

• 645 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users