• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#11601 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2021 - 03:32 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 15 May 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Agreed. Ocean's 11 is great, 12 is utter 4th-wall breaking, smug shite and the 3rd is an insincere apology.

Counterpoint.

OCEANS 12 is a Perfect movie, and is arguably the best of the trilogy. And at no point does anyone break the 4th wall in it. It is a comfort watch, and one of my top ten best films of all time.

First thought: Oh, Apt, you're funny.
Second thought: wait, that's not Apt!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11602 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2021 - 11:49 PM, said:

the heist is pulled off halfway through the film and no one knows and the rest is all wonderful pantomime while the true goal is to reunite Lemarc and his daughter.

See, this was my biggest problem with it. Obviously a good heist film hoodwinks the audience as well as the victim a bit but for me this hung on there just being too much we didn't know for too much of the film. Like we didn't even know reuinting Isabel with her father was even a possibility because the film told us he was dead- it made out that the main character goal for Isabel was reuiniting her with Rusty. The flipped heist too - even after LeTour says 'you talked to LaMarc' there's no chance of a dawning 'oh yeah I get it' moment as they show you.

Still, better than Ocean's 8, a highly glossy hot mess.

eta: I like 13 more but I agree it's not a great movie either. Suffers from some of the 3rd-Gentlemen-Bastards problem that it's a bunch of itty-bitty cons not one big one, and also is just a bit less joyful.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 16 May 2021 - 09:49 AM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#11603 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 May 2021 - 10:01 AM

I hate to say it, but Al Pacino sucks the air out of THIRTEEN.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11604 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 May 2021 - 03:32 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 May 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 15 May 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Agreed. Ocean's 11 is great, 12 is utter 4th-wall breaking, smug shite and the 3rd is an insincere apology.

Counterpoint.

OCEANS 12 is a Perfect movie, and is arguably the best of the trilogy. And at no point does anyone break the 4th wall in it. It is a comfort watch, and one of my top ten best films of all time.

First thought: Oh, Apt, you're funny.
Second thought: wait, that's not Apt!

I hated Oceans 12... Oh no, I've created a paradox!

#11605 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 May 2021 - 11:59 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 May 2021 - 03:11 AM, said:

Laser dance scene means 12 is the best one. There is no valid counter argument.

Laserdance II: Electric Hullabaloo.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11606 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

I can't watch the Oceans movies as Oceans 11 reminds me of a very mortifying evening I had years ago. A housemate brought a girl home and they were going to watch Oceans 11. My housemate had a girlfriend and his guest had a boyfriend so I just assumed it was a friendship thing and hung around them all evening. After a few hours one of them went upstairs to the bathroom and didn't come back and then the other went up too. And I'm sat there watching Oceans 11 alone with the dawning realisation that I had been cock blocking them for ages. My housemate had even been dropping hints that had gone way over my head. Still, their partners would have been grateful at my naivety I assume.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11607 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2021 - 07:51 PM

These movies are such a blast!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11608 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:12 PM

I just watched Thunder Force on Netflix. Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer. The gags aren't 100% hits but on balance it really made me laugh. Jason Bateman's character adds a layer of melted butter on top that makes it so silly. I liked it.

Four half-Korean's out of five.

Edit to add - I just read the reviews and they are really bad. And deservedly so I guess but it still made me laugh. Go into it after a long day and I think there is a lot to like.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 17 May 2021 - 09:18 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11609 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 May 2021 - 11:57 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 17 May 2021 - 09:12 PM, said:

I just watched Thunder Force on Netflix. Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer. The gags aren't 100% hits but on balance it really made me laugh. Jason Bateman's character adds a layer of melted butter on top that makes it so silly. I liked it.

Four half-Korean's out of five.

Edit to add - I just read the reviews and they are really bad. And deservedly so I guess but it still made me laugh. Go into it after a long day and I think there is a lot to like.

I loved this film for the exact same reason. Really silly but good fun.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11610 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:15 PM

ATTACK OF THE BLOCK sequel incoming! Woot! Love that movie.

https://deadline.com...sic-1234758463/

#11611 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

Re-watched the 2001 TOMB RAIDER movie, and it still holds up as much as it ever did...but can we all agree that Jolie really was, at the time, the quintessential Lara Croft from a "look" angle? She also doesn't do a shabby English accent, and every outfit in the film is taken directly from the first two games. The second film is better mind you, but the first is still an enjoyable romp. Will be re-watching the second one soon too.

#11612 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 May 2021 - 09:01 PM, said:

I just remembered that Revenge of the Sith came out 16 yrs ago today.

Carry on homies

Speaking of RotS, we watched someone's version of Revenge of the Sith with the final 4 Clone Wars episodes edited into it, which made it just under 4 hours. There are multiple versions of this, done by multiple people from what I understand. We had to pause just past halfway through and finish a couple nights later but I felt it was very much worth the watch. In fact, were it available to buy, I would get it and probably never watch RotS by itself again. There is a Jedi Council meeting that is edited back and forth between the show/movie more seamlessly than I would've thought possible. As I've said before, those Clone Wars eps add a ton to RotS, imo. The final scene from the Clone Wars is the final scene of the edit, as it should be.

Am I crazy for preferring the Ahsoka/Maul lightsaber duel to the Anakin/Obi Wan one?

#11613 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 20 May 2021 - 12:56 PM, said:

Carry on homies

Speaking of RotS, we watched someone's version of Revenge of the Sith with the final 4 Clone Wars episodes edited into it, which made it just under 4 hours. There are multiple versions of this, done by multiple people from what I understand. We had to pause just past halfway through and finish a couple nights later but I felt it was very much worth the watch. In fact, were it available to buy, I would get it and probably never watch RotS by itself again. There is a Jedi Council meeting that is edited back and forth between the show/movie more seamlessly than I would've thought possible. As I've said before, those Clone Wars eps add a ton to RotS, imo. The final scene from the Clone Wars is the final scene of the edit, as it should be.

Am I crazy for preferring the Ahsoka/Maul lightsaber duel to the Anakin/Obi Wan one?

I would also buy it if available. SO GOOD.

The Maul Vs Ahsoka fight is easily better choreographed and has a weight to it from how threatened each feels in it...Obi-Wan VS Anakin has a weight of emotions if not the choreography. For me at least. So they are different fights with different stakes.

I LOVE the Maul VS Ahsoka fight though.

#11614 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 May 2021 - 01:14 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 20 May 2021 - 12:56 PM, said:

Carry on homies

I would also buy it if available. SO GOOD.

The Maul Vs Ahsoka fight is easily better choreographed and has a weight to it from how threatened each feels in it...Obi-Wan VS Anakin has a weight of emotions if not the choreography. For me at least. So they are different fights with different stakes.

I LOVE the Maul VS Ahsoka fight though.

I had to ask. I'm such an Ahsoka fan that I couldn't tell if I was just being biased in her favor. As you say, the extenuating circumstances are different in the 2 duels. It is amazing that Ahsoka was willing to go up against Sidious WITH Maul, until he answered her Anakin question with the accusation that Anakin was the new apprentice. Another turning point that could've altered everything, much like Windu's "Citizen" crack prevented Ahsoka from revealing what she had learned to the Council...

#11615 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:21 PM

Duiuude. Either of you gotta link? I wanna watch that.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 20 May 2021 - 08:21 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11616 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 May 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

I believe my daughter had to message or email the person that made the edit and they sent a link back to her. I can find out and will post.

#11617 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:39 PM

Sweet. Thanks PF
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11618 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:01 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 20 May 2021 - 08:30 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 May 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

I believe my daughter had to message or email the person that made the edit and they sent a link back to her. I can find out and will post.

As I understand it, send an email to
Spoiler
and an auto reply will have a link to access through google drive?

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 20 May 2021 - 11:02 PM

#11619 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 May 2021 - 10:43 PM, said:

Is A Bridge To Far good?

Hmmm, yes and no.

A classic for sure with a fucking stellar class, held up against modern war films it can feel dated, with a few weak sections.

Still very much worth watching

#11620 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:13 AM

Army of the Dead:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users