• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#10841 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10842 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

Be sure to let us know when you stop for a snack.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10843 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

Or a pee break

#10844 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:41 AM

Between Two Ferns: The Movie -- it's alright. The framing device is so-so, the interviews are pretty funny but too short (total, w/ like a dozen celebs, they still probably run less than half the movie). Still they do generate some lols, and the outtakes at the end are especially good. Someone should invest in a Jiminy Glick movie.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10845 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

Watched Rampage.

As you can guess, it was a dopey movie and not all that good. It did have some charming moments though. Some of the CGI was good, some of it was cringe worthy bad. The plot was goofy and dumb. I would say if you're feeling under the weather and nursing yourself back by having a down day and hot soup on the couch and you find it on your favorite streaming service or channel, then give it a go (or if you're just bored with nothing to do).

#10846 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

A Dog's way Home.

It's a doggy film, so unless you're a heartless monster expect to find water inexplicably leaking from your eyes.
It's no homeward bound but it hits the right notes and a few genuine lump in throat moments. And cute doggies!!

#10847 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

View PostMacros, on 25 September 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

A Dog's way Home.

It's a doggy film, so unless you're a heartless monster expect to find water inexplicably leaking from your eyes.
It's no homeward bound but it hits the right notes and a few genuine lump in throat moments. And cute doggies!!

Is that your date movie?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10848 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

We watched it on the plane home.
But totally.my picking, I'm a sucker for dog movies. Even if they make me sad

#10849 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 27 September 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

Warnings going out about Joker stoking violence.

Sigh

I think it's fear stoking myself but they worried about Aurora copy cats.

So people don't emulate stupid shit they see in movies and on TV?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10850 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:49 AM

Well, Suicide Squad was a steaming, vomitous, turd of a movie. But I guess it could be argued the Harley Quinn character was maybe the only golden hair that could be plucked off that turd. So, there's, uh, this?

I am liking the pet hyena though.

#10851 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:13 AM

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

What a dumb movie. Obviously the main value delivered is the special effects and a total disregard to anything approaching a quality story that anyone would care about. The attempt to try and outdo the previous movie by introducing the "Indoraptor" (Indoraptor > Indominus Rex) is really upping the brain numbing inanity too. I can only imagine what Frankenstein monster of an experiment they will introduce next movie - maybe an "XXXtremearexraptor Maxaceratops"? (or some such similar bullshit).

Mostly, for a lot of the time watching the movie, I was distracted by "Buffalo Bill" and was wondering if he was going to do the 'tuck' and start dancing in front of a mirror - 'it rubs the lotion on the Pachycephalosaurus' Posted Image

So, now that it's been established that a human has been cloned, do you guys think that will feature prominently in the next movie?
Also, since the dinosaurs have been set loose, it is truly a 'Jurassic World' now right? Them flying dinos landing on the neon signs on the Vegas strip though. *tapsfingers together *evil laughter

#10852 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:41 AM

I really really enjoyed joker ! It was dark and gritty and I loved just how delusional he was... it’s great.

I think Joaquin did a great job really and make him his own. Easily my favorite “origin” movie yet.

I’m actually a little surprised the critics trashed it 69% RT.

Wonder what a die hard Batman fan will think ...

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 04 October 2019 - 04:47 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#10853 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 04 October 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

I really really enjoyed joker ! It was dark and gritty and I loved just how delusional he was... it’s great.

I think Joaquin did a great job really and make him his own. Easily my favorite “origin” movie yet.

I’m actually a little surprised the critics trashed it 69% RT.

Wonder what a die hard Batman fan will think ...

OK now we need Apt, QT, PG and a couple of others to see this for the full gamut experience.

;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10854 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

Just ordered tickets for the Joker. There's a mostly empty IMAX theater that's showing an afternoon viewing in 3 hours.

Finally an IMAX film in 2D.

#10855 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 October 2019 - 03:13 AM, said:

Watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

What a dumb movie. Obviously the main value delivered is the special effects and a total disregard to anything approaching a quality story that anyone would care about. The attempt to try and outdo the previous movie by introducing the "Indoraptor" (Indoraptor > Indominus Rex) is really upping the brain numbing inanity too. I can only imagine what Frankenstein monster of an experiment they will introduce next movie - maybe an "XXXtremearexraptor Maxaceratops"? (or some such similar bullshit).

Mostly, for a lot of the time watching the movie, I was distracted by "Buffalo Bill" and was wondering if he was going to do the 'tuck' and start dancing in front of a mirror - 'it rubs the lotion on the Pachycephalosaurus' Posted Image

So, now that it's been established that a human has been cloned, do you guys think that will feature prominently in the next movie?
Also, since the dinosaurs have been set loose, it is truly a 'Jurassic World' now right? Them flying dinos landing on the neon signs on the Vegas strip though. *tapsfingers together *evil laughter

If it's flying, it ain't a dinosaur.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#10856 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

JOKER comes out wide and the real reviews start rolling in....including one from the only real reviewer left I largely still trust/agree with most of the time. A. O. Scott.

https://www.nytimes....ker-review.html

Note: This is a takedown, not praise, and lines up pretty much with how I expected this movie to land with normal audiences.

Also, who knew that the director Phillips would lash out against criticism like he did by talking about the "far left"...I mean, that's one way to make your name mud in the current Hollywood climate I guess?

some key lines from the review that I liked:

“Joker,” an empty, foggy exercise in second-hand style and second-rate philosophizing

Besotted with the notion of its own audacity — as if willful unpleasantness were a form of artistic courage — the film turns out to be afraid of its own shadow, or at least of the faintest shadow of any actual relevance.

It’s hard to say if the muddle “Joker” makes of itself arises from confusion or cowardice, but the result is less a depiction of nihilism than a story about nothing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 October 2019 - 02:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10857 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

I'm just going to watch it and make up my own mind, I think.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10858 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 October 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I'm just going to watch it and make up my own mind, I think.

I've heard enough about the details of scenes in it to know what will turn my stomach, so I won't be seeing it.

Also, it's like Todd Phillips research for writing this film consisted entirely of "Watch KING OF COMEDY...Remake KING OF COMEDY with a DC Comics pastiche overtop to sell it. Add more deliberate overt violence."
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10859 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

Just came back from watching Joker. It's great.

It's grim and unsettling and a great interpretation of the "one bad day" idea. Only it's a lifetime of missery.

When the trailers came out I noted that if they go for a DC version of Michael Douglasses performance in Falling Down it would be great. And that's exactly what they did.

Don't go in expecting a superhero movie or an action film. This is portrayed as a sinister drama. It's a tragedy with a happy ending depending upon your perspective.

I think some people might say the film is too slow, even boring mayby but if you know who the Joker becomes it's captivating. And in the way of Nolan's interpretation of the Batman universe, this fits perfectly into the toned down, more realistic origin take of a crazy mass murderer.

Also the ending is absolutely perfect.

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 October 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

“Joker,” an empty, foggy exercise in second-hand style and second-rate philosophizing

Besotted with the notion of its own audacity — as if willful unpleasantness were a form of artistic courage — the film turns out to be afraid of its own shadow, or at least of the faintest shadow of any actual relevance.

It’s hard to say if the muddle “Joker” makes of itself arises from confusion or cowardice, but the result is less a depiction of nihilism than a story about nothing.

I think these people are reading waaay too much into the film. Except for the speech at the end there's no preaching or philosophising in the film. Nor is there any glorifying of gun violence as I've heard some say.

It's a movie that spends a lot of time showing instead of telling. It takes you on a ride with the Joker and at the end you might not be certain who the bad guy is.

In that sense I would say that this is actually a dangerous film. Just like the anonymous yahoos, I can see people watching this film, the crescendo, and getting some terrible ideas. It was certainly evocative I felt.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 04 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

#10860 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 October 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Just came back from watching Joker. It's great.

It's grim and unsettling and a great interpretation of the "one bad day" idea. Only it's a lifetime of missery.

When the trailers came out I noted that if they go for a DC version of Michael Douglasses performance in Falling Down it would be great. And that's exactly what they did.

Don't go in expecting a superhero movie or an action film. This is portrayed as a sinister drama. It's a tragedy with a happy ending depending upon your perspective.

I think some people might say the film is too slow, even boring mayby but if you know who the Joker becomes it's captivating. And in the way of Nolan's interpretation of the Batman universe, this fits perfectly into the toned down, more realistic origin take of a crazy mass murderer.

Also the ending is absolutely perfect.

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 October 2019 - 02:23 PM, said:

I think these people are reading waaay too much into the film. Except for the speech at the end there's no preaching or philosophising in the film. Nor is there any glorifying of gun violence as I've heard some say.

It's a movie that spends a lot of time showing instead of telling. It takes you on a ride with the Joker and at the end you might not be certain who the bad guy is.

In that sense I would say that this is actually a dangerous film. Just like the anonymous yahoos, I can see people watching this film, the crescendo, and getting some terrible ideas. It was certainly evocative I felt.

If people get there core ethos from watching a movie about a villain, they are dumb as f$& .More than likely they are already nuts.

Counterpoint: I hope they run this version of Gotham in future movies .. that grit... as it finally felt like Gotham in the background.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 04 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users