Malazan Empire: Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! Final book to be split in three, new title and cover art released

#61 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

View PostSir Thursday, on Mar 27 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

I'm very surprised that Tor are going with a huge gap between the books publishing dates if the work will be finished - avoiding market saturation, sure, but surely 6 months would be enough? Probably something to do with sales figures being higher if the fans have to wait a bit longer, or along those lines. But the fact is, people will buy them anyway, so in the short term at least Tor have nothing to lose from stringing us along :ball: . Might be detrimental to them in the long run, but I seriously doubt people are going to stop reading books just because of the publisher...

Sir Thursday

You're right, but if Tor keeps pulling this whenever an author dies (Hopefully not often but you get what I'm saying) on top of the fact that the last books of WoT could very well be awful due to the change in authors then it truly might affect them in a detrimental matter down the track. Just a bit of speculation of course :ball:
I still heart Goodkind.

#62 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

ONORAC WHERE ARE YOU

they might pay him... a lot... they better if he paints for them to save the misrable cover...
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#63 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Yup, the cover was a rough mock-up that got leaked by accident. Tor are issuing a press release tomorrow clearing up some of the miscommunications.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#64 User is offline   Wordmerchant 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Wiki Contributor
  • Interests:Writer, Miniature Painter

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostObdigore, on Mar 26 2009, 02:56 PM, said:

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on Mar 26 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

Rand's not going to really die. There's going to be a "the prophecy, while technically true, did not mean exactly what we thought it meant" cop-out of the worst kind.

The wound in his side is going to open, bleed upon mount doom, lous theramon telamaon (or whatever his fucking name is) is going to pour out in the blood, and cleanse the mountain and completely destroy the dark one... until the wheel spins again...
Elayne will go into labor and pop out the kids right in the middle of the Last Battle. The sheer stupidity of the concept will cause the Dark One to die laughing. And they lived happily ever after.
Spin Doctor to The Errant. Because nothing says I love you like a little nudge!

#65 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

This drives me nuts: Tor IS doing something. Not Tor ARE doing something.

Tor is a singular entity. If there was a consortium of Tor and other companies, then it'd be "Tor, Other Company and Other Company are..."

It's the same thing with "Manchester United is..." and "United are...". Singular entities do not get an "are".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#66 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, but if you think of United as a representation of all the people involved, and not just the club itself, then it makes more sense. We are United. We are top of the league.

Tor is a collection of people, and it's a company. Both work.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#67 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

View PostYellow, on Mar 29 2009, 10:10 AM, said:

Yeah, but if you think of United as a representation of all the people involved, and not just the club itself, then it makes more sense. We are United. We are top of the league.

Tor is a collection of people, and it's a company. Both work.

Yep, though the company 'Tor' is a singular, we're talking about the many facets and people who make up Tor when we say 'are' as opposed to 'is'. Both are correct.
I still heart Goodkind.

#68 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Someone ask the pedantic bear, he'll clear it up.
Error: Signature not valid

#69 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Google informs me that it's another American/English thing. In American-English, it is more common to say "Microsoft is," "Ford is", "Tor is" etc. In Real Proper God's English it is more common to say "Microsoft are", "Ford are", "Tor are". Apparently it is because American law recognises companies as legal entities analogous to individual people, whilst British law doesn't, or at least not to the same degree of pedantry. Technically both ways are correct, since companies are both 'singular entities' and 'a group of individuals'.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#70 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

I've seen it either way,

though I laughed at God's proper English heh

#71 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

View PostWerthead, on Mar 29 2009, 04:29 PM, said:

Google informs me that it's another American/English thing. In American-English, it is more common to say "Microsoft is," "Ford is", "Tor is" etc. In Real Proper God's English it is more common to say "Microsoft are", "Ford are", "Tor are". Apparently it is because American law recognises companies as legal entities analogous to individual people, whilst British law doesn't, or at least not to the same degree of pedantry. Technically both ways are correct, since companies are both 'singular entities' and 'a group of individuals'.

That's what I said, just not in such pedantry.
I still heart Goodkind.

#72 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

I've gotta say I'm not surprised about them splitting the final book up, and I'm actually kind of glad they are doing it. There were just way too many storylines to be tied up in just one book. Also I don't think Sanderson is as umm...verbose, as Jordan was so I'd imagine the three books won't all be 800 pages and just ramble on with nothing of substance happening.

p.s. I know everyone is really upset about that leaked cover art (and don't get me wrong it looked horrendous), but I honestly couldn't care less what publisher's put for art on the cover of their books, I buy them for what's inside, and they go on my bookshelf when I'm done reading them with the spine facing out. Especially in the 12th book of a series, I don't think anyone has made it to this point and said "you know what? that cover is just so regoddamndiculous that I'm not gonna keep going with this series."
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#73 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

The official information from Tor is: they are publishing the books in three volumes, the first one is called The Gathering Storm and it will be published in November. The books will still be published at one-year intervals.

There will also be a WoT Encyclopedia that will be published a year or two after the final book comes out.

So as suspected, Tor are really milking the fans for this one. It's three books rather than two not because Sanderson wanted more words and space, but because Tor wanted to make more money. No other reason, and they're pretty cheerful about it. Most impressive, especially when you remember that Tor became the USA's #1 SF&F publishing house based on the success of this series, so the fans they are crapping on are the very same ones who made them what they are today.

This is a Fail that redefines the meaning of the word 'Epic'.

#74 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I wish i could just say f'em. But i wont, i'm weak. I'll have to read them.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#75 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on Mar 30 2009, 05:30 PM, said:

I wish i could just say f'em. But i wont, i'm weak. I'll have to read them.

Get them from the library :D. I think I might try that, actually. It's the only way I can get back at Tor.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#76 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

I suspect that one day, many years from now, I will assemble the entire series (once complete) and read it from start to finish. Love it or hate it, it's unique.

As for the Cover...wtf...don't they employ people to stop this kinda crap happening?
Victory is mine!

#77 User is offline   Astra 

• Sony Reader PRS-650

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

View PostFist Gamet, on Mar 30 2009, 05:43 PM, said:

As for the Cover...wtf...don't they employ people to stop this kinda crap happening?

They would have to pay a good salary to these people, not peanuts.
Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former.
Albert Einstein

#78 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

About the cover, it's pretty obvious it's nothing official. I mean, if you look closely is says it's a sequel to Crossroads of Twilight. No big deal.

#79 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Don't know if this has been posted already (maybe in another thread)... Brandon Sanderson just posted to his blog:

Last night--Monday night--I pulled an all-nighter finishing up THE GATHERING STORM and sending it off to Harriet and company. In essence, the book is now complete. I suspect there will be another hasty round of revisions this weekend, but the book really needs to be in ASAP. We're already over-deadline in getting it in, and Tor is going to have to pay overtime at the printer in order to get it out in November. (Tom has already said he'd do this, so it's not a big issue, but every day counts. Hence the all-night revision marathon.)

So yes, it's done. Almost. Kind of. Now we begin the long wait for copyediting, proofreading, and printing. I can now confirm that--for certain--the cover thumbnail passed around last week was nothing more than a mock-up. I've now seen the cover, and while the general composition is the same as the thumbnail, this version is much better. (For one thing, Rand is no longer busting a move with his back to us, but is turned face-front and standing in a different position.)

So... yay?!
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#80 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

I guess so...
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users