Malazan Empire: Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! Final book to be split in three, new title and cover art released

#21 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:07 AM

A lot of people are calling bullshit on the cover, either claiming it's an outright fake or a very rough placeholder. Maybe. The other 11 covers were pretty bad, but this is just on another level of sucktitude.

The confirmed information (i.e. taken from more than just one Dutch and one Swedish random website), from Amazon.ca and Barnes & Noble, is that the book has been split, the first chunk is called The Gathering Storm and will be out in early November. Everything else - the cover, the three volumes rather than two etc - is still waiting for official confirmation, which I am told is coming in the next few days.

Maybe this was a carefully-planned April Fool's Day hoax and it somehow got out early?
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#22 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

gawd i would not be surprised if that was the cover for it. WoT has a rich tradition in having shitty covers and i don't think they would want to dissapoint. i wonder how long it will take for the cover of this book to peel off...

i'm still gonna buy em of course. hopefully some young blood will inject a little motion into the storyline, its been pretty inert for like four books now
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#23 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

Thank god the version Ill get will probally be another infinity sign on another cover. Are their 12 colours? To be fair allthe covers that I have seen for WoT have been shocking.

This news upsets me. Three books? Dear lord is it so much to ask that I can just read the final battle and see what happens. Rand better become cool again

#24 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

I give up...when will it end?

Spose its not caled the "Wheel of Time" for nothing
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#25 User is offline   Astra 

• Sony Reader PRS-650

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

View PostWerthead, on Mar 26 2009, 12:56 AM, said:

Erm, and no hardcover release either.

What the hell?

No hardcover release?
Are you sure?

I have a whole series in hardback edition and now they say they will not release hardcover edition of the final volume?
Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former.
Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

I'll still read it. I actually don't think it's that big a deal. It's not like BS is going to drop dead before handing in the final draft.

*looks around frantically for some wood* *touches self*
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#27 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on Mar 26 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

I'll still read it. I actually don't think it's that big a deal. It's not like BS is going to drop dead before handing in the final draft.

*looks around frantically for some wood* *touches self*

I'm worried that you get wood at the thought of being screwed by publishers :)
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#28 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

meh, I'm just not that bothered -- the publishers need to make money, and from I've heard, it'll be three books because there's three books worth of story to finish, not because BS is stringing it out like Jordan was doing. I've not read any of his own work, but from reviews I've seen it seems to get good reviews, with no mention of bloat whatsoever.

So I'm sanguine about the three books thing. I'd prefer, of course, that they come out more quickly than one per year, but not too fussed.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#29 User is offline   Astra 

• Sony Reader PRS-650

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I would not mind 3, as long as they are hardback editions.

I am not saying it is good to have 3 instead of 2, but I believe it is more important the story is good 3 books than scrambled 2.
Only Two Things Are Infinite, The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm Not Sure About The Former.
Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

View PostAstra, on Mar 26 2009, 10:31 AM, said:

View PostWerthead, on Mar 26 2009, 12:56 AM, said:

Erm, and no hardcover release either.

What the hell?

No hardcover release?
Are you sure?

I have a whole series in hardback edition and now they say they will not release hardcover edition of the final volume?

The site that originally posted the news is Dutch, hence some confusion. The online sellers are listing a hardcover after all. There will be a trade paperback released at the same time, however, which is apparently causing the confusion as there hasn't been a US WoT tradeback since 1990.

Sanderson played down the idea it was a fake and said it sounded like the Tor press release got sent out to some overseas partners early by accident, but the reports are being garbled a fair bit. Official word should follow in the next day or two.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#31 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'd love it if Sanderson released the remaining parts on his site in ebook form, free or not, a month after The Gathering Storm hits if this once-a-year thing is real. Sure, he'd be blacklisted, but what a way to go about it - and I'd certainly buy his books after that.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

Y'know, i'm totally unshocked by this if it turns out to be true. I do suspect April Fool's joke tho, because i don't believe for second that Tor would forego the extra dollars from releasing it in hardcover.

View PostWerthead, on Mar 25 2009, 08:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

In addition, that is really quite a hideous cover. It's even worse than Knife of Dreams. Rand breakdancing in front of a haunted house? Okay...

he's getting down with his bad self... LOOK at those knees, LOOK AT THEM!!!!!

- Abyss, always knew the Dragon would boogie once again on the winds of time...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#33 User is offline   Gem Windcaster 

• Bequeathed Overmind
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

That cover makes me absolutely shudder. *shudders* Thanks God it's over in 3 or so years. Then RJ finally can rest in peace.

- Gem, now if only the dragon starts to pwn people, like for real, I'll be okay...
_ In the dark I play the night, like a tune vividly fright_
So light it blows, at lark it goes _
invisible indifferent sight_

#34 User is offline   Urb 

• Emperor
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Just for that, I'm going to wait four years before I buy them all in paperback, used, on sale.
The leader, his audience still,
considered their scholarly will.
He lowered his head
and with anguish he said,
"But how will we teach them to kill?"

-some poet on reddit

#35 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

This is frustrating because I didn't especially enjoy most off this series, yet have the entire thing. I was going to bite the bullet and get the last one just for the sake of having the whole series. I don't know if that's important enough to me to buy 3 more books though.
Error: Signature not valid

#36 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

I see from the cover that Darrell K. Sweet hasn't been assassinated ... yet. Ah well, just three more book covers I'll throw away before the ink on the receipt even dries. An old WoT tradition, you know - almost makes me nostalgic.

And I have no problem with the book being split up, if it was going to be a monster. But spacing it out over three years ... that's just lame. Why not three months? They'd make the same amount of money.

This post has been edited by Kurt Montandon: 26 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#37 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Well this is certainly irritating! As much as I hate to do it, I will buy the three books as I have the rest of the series and see no point in leaving it unfinished. The cover is awful but to be honest the covers on the rest of the books in the series weren't stellar either. Unfortunately I don't think it's a joke as it seems to fit right in with the previous cover art. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the no hardcover release thing isn't true.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#38 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

Maybe that is Rand's death scene. Logain could be the figure in blue just to the right.

#39 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Rand's not going to really die. There's going to be a "the prophecy, while technically true, did not mean exactly what we thought it meant" cop-out of the worst kind.
Error: Signature not valid

#40 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

The cover looks fake. Anyway, after two books there could be room for a couple of prequels before the third one, and then maybe the third one turns out to be too long so it has to be split up. Plenty room for lots of low-cut bodices and spanking.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users