Malazan Empire: Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! Final book to be split in three, new title and cover art released

#81 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hmmm... I've paid very little attention tho Brandon Sanderson, i basically figured this last book would be more fanfiction than anything else. And to be honest i've lost most of the interest i had in the series in general, despite the fact that it can be credited with giving me the hunger for epic fantasy i have today (there are just too many problems with the books to keep me engaged this long).

However, since hearing this news i looked into it, and read alot of sandersons blog, now my opinions changing. Firstly i am hopeful that i may get more out of the book than badly written tying up of loose ends, we may actually get something close to what Jordan would have produced (or possibly better!). I felt that old excitement coming back at the thought of a new WOT novel, which was surprising.

Also i read this post, where he explains in detail why there's going to be three books in the last volume of this series. And it makes sense. I'm mostly convinced t's not just the publishers shafting us - And as i say to the Martin haters, i'll wait as long as it takes for a good book
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#82 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

Read most of BS (interesting acronym, btw) explanation and for me, it boils down to - he wants to do a geek's version of the conclusion to the Wheel of Time, which I don't disagree with in principle, provided he does a good job of it. Meanwhile, his financial situation is secure for the forseeable future - good on him. But...BUT, Jordan intended it to be finished with AMoL so he is essentially deviating from RJ's plan and there is no way to hide that. He can go on and on about all the good reasons for extending it but the facts are that he will benefit, the publishers will benefit and Harriet will benefit from the decision to extend the series. The only question that remains is whether or not the fans will benefit. All I can say is it better be damned good because if the first one doesn't deliver, I'm out.

#83 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

800K words...JFC, he's really got some job ahead of him. It better be good...
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#84 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Y'know, it's sort of a blanket assumption that RJ was always going to tie it all up with a bow in one final volume. Sure, he SAID he would, but most of the later statement were fueled by the fact he was ill and trying to finish the series. Barring that, or even despite that, this whole it's-one-book-no-it's-THREE thing would likely have gone down regardless.

And fundamentally, if the books are good, who really cares whether there is one or three? I'll take three excellent books over one excellent book (Taking on faith the Sanderson can pull it off.)

So yeah, it's a complete money-grab by Tor, but if that leads to more quality product that we actually enjoy, i'm all for it and will cheerfully pay my dollars to read when released (after a careful survey of advance reviews).

If it leads to three volumes along the lines of PATH OF DAGGERS, i'll wait for the second hand mmpbs to finish the story.

Sanderson's explanation (as linked above):
http://www.brandonsa.../Splitting-AMOL

Tor's announcement:
http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_co...og&id=19734

evil editorvampire i mean Harriet speaks to Dragonmount:
http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of...nterview_01.php

- Abyss, notes money does make the wheel go 'round'''

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#85 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

So the cover is the same, except Rand is turned around and isn't have a seizure any more?

Oh, joyous.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#86 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

Yeah, thank gawd they fixed it, i'm relieved.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#87 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

I can't stop looking at that cover.

It's amazingly bad. Like...."I crapped my pants once on a date" bad.

#88 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

View PostWerthead, on Apr 1 2009, 11:19 PM, said:

So the cover is the same, except Rand is turned around and isn't have a seizure any more?

Oh, joyous.

All the US covers have been dire. I honestly don't see how this one is any worse.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#89 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

That's true. I mean....even before WoT took a turn for the worse the covers blew donkey ass.

I can't think of a successful fantasy series w/ more awful cover art. It's like TOR paid RJ so much money to publish the books they couldn't help but pay the cover artist in pesos.....

#90 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

View PostOptimus Prime, on Apr 2 2009, 03:51 AM, said:

I can't think of a successful fantasy series w/ more awful cover art. It's like TOR paid RJ so much money to publish the books they couldn't help but pay the cover artist in pesos.....

While the US versions of the Malazan Series are almost universally panned for crappiness... I feel safe in stating that EVERY SINGLE COVER of hte U.S. Malaz edition is better than the god-awful WoT covers. For the love of God... those are the worst covers... ever.

Edit: Real quick edit: SoT covers suck awfully as well. But, then again, the books deserve it, so I don't feel bad about that.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 02 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#91 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 2 2009, 09:00 AM, said:

View PostOptimus Prime, on Apr 2 2009, 03:51 AM, said:

While the US versions of the Malazan Series are almost universally panned for crappiness... I feel safe in stating that EVERY SINGLE COVER of hte U.S. Malaz edition is better than the god-awful WoT covers. For the love of God... those are the worst covers... ever.

Edit: Real quick edit: SoT covers suck awfully as well. But, then again, the books deserve it, so I don't feel bad about that.

I think we can all agree on that one:P

#92 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

In general, Tor covers suck so much that James Dyson should consider suing for industrial espionage. _Some_ of the WoT covers are OK (I'm thinking TEotW, TDR, and TFoH specifically). But you don't buy a Tor (or Baen, for that matter) book for the great cover art.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#93 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on Apr 2 2009, 09:00 AM, said:

I'd agree with the exception of the original US version of DHG, the one they had to dump because it was so heinously bad.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#94 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

I mean...I'd rather they go the way of the GRRM covers w/ simple solid colors w/ sigils/icons on the front than that crap they put on WoT covers. I mean...the Lord of Chaos cover looked like a Danielle Steele novel...I seriously passed it in the bookstore a couple of times when it came out before I realized what it was....and died a little inside....

#95 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

They do that with the UK covers. They look pretty good.

Posted Image

#96 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

yes, yes...KISS.

#97 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

View PostYellow, on Apr 3 2009, 02:19 AM, said:

They do that with the UK covers. They look pretty good.

Posted Image

Yes, my edition of "A Crown of Swords" is like that, and the only one I'll display in a bookcase. When my older brother brought me a copy of tEotW back from the U.K. many years ago I was like......"this shit looks HORRIBLE" because of the cover. They aren't just badly drawn, but not accurate w/ the series also.

#98 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Now that's more like it:

Posted Image

#99 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

Aye, that's a nice cover.

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

I prefer the ones with the plain backgrounds and just different colored wheel symbol on them...Not that I think I'll ever get around to reading more of them. The 4th was the last stop for me. This series really doesn't deserve to still be so successful in this day and age.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users