Malazan Empire: Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! - Malazan Empire

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Major Wheel of Time News. Spoilers! Final book to be split in three, new title and cover art released

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

A Memory of Light has been split 'maybe' into three books (i.e. it will be split in three but Tor are trying to appease the fanbase by saying it could still be two), the first of which will be called The Gathering Storm and released in November 2009. And yes, you'll have to wait 12 months for the next one. And 12 months for the one after. Although Sanderson expects to have the whole thing finished by the end of the year at the latest.

Posted Image

In addition, that is really quite a hideous cover. It's even worse than Knife of Dreams. Rand breakdancing in front of a haunted house? Okay...

This post has been edited by RodeoRanch: 09 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

I think I can actually hear the Internets screaming.

#3 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

Is that what that was?

Not really too surprising though, considering how many words he's already written. :)
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

Holy shit! That's ugly.

Anyway. Not that much of a surprise in the splitting of the book. It was going to be a monster of Godzilla proportions in one volume and by spreading it out the publishers can rake in even more cash from us poor saps who just have to see how it ends. I'm almost certainly going to buy all three (or two) just to see how the bugger ends. And I expect I'll probably be very disappointed with it, Jordan just had too many plates spinning in the air for this to be a truly satisfying conclusion to the whole affair.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

Erm, and no hardcover release either.

What the hell?

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#6 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

Is it weird that the only reason this really bothers me is the new ones will look weird next to all the other hardcovers?

Why would they do that?

:)

#7 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

OMFG. *stifles self* :Surprise:

#8 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

That cover looks like a " Ladybird" book from my childhood, why do publishers,particularly American ones persevere with this Mickey Mouse crayon shit. It's soooooo dated !!!!
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#9 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

Can someone just reaffirm it isn't 1 April?

This is among the most Epic of Epic Fails I have ever encountered in publishing.

#10 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

the weirdest thing about this is that I'll buy all of them.

#11 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:38 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on Mar 25 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

Even weirder, if he said it would be 5 more, we'd still buy them.

Its not up on Sanderson's site yet. Maybe he'll wait till April 1st to put it up, then tell us he's kidding and it'll all be one book and be out in November, in hardback, and its free.

#12 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

perhaps in the Universe next door :)

so this is what happens when a successful author dies - I know it's happened in other cases so don't bore me with sordid details of past occurrences, but I actually believed that Sanderson was goin gto do right by the project. Out of simple human decency. I'm optimistic that way I suppose. This is disgusting and terrible on multiple levels :)

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

Oh, this is 100% Tor's doing.

Sanderson's plan was to release both volumes one month apart, with a companion book with Robert Jordan's notes in them so people who didn't want to read any non-Jordan material could just read that instead to follow. If you read Brandon's blog you'll see his #1 priority throughout has been doing right by Jordan, his widow and the fans.

I can almost imagine Tom Doherty listening to Sanderson's plan, nodding and smiling whilst dollar signs lit up in his eyes at the prospect of three NYT #1 bestsellers in three successive years doing wonders for Tor's market share and the companion book to follow at some future date when they could milk it a bit more.

#14 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on Mar 26 2009, 01:34 AM, said:

The sad truth is so will a lot of people, knowing full well that they are being fleeced and the chances of it all having a satisfying ending are slim.

I of course will also be one of them !

But at least I won't have to deal with that cheap nasty GCSE Fail of a cover.

Here's hoping the UK gets the "standard wheel cover" of the most recent editions :)
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#15 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

fail much?

I'll read them anyway, but still.

#16 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

Epic fail!

Who are they paying to be the cover artist?

I'm tempted to not buy these books just to spite them...oh wait, who am I kidding.

#17 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:02 AM

Not the best of news concerning a favourite series of mine. But as it is I really do want the work to be of a quality that matches Jordan's, in the most possible respect.

I understand that it won't be the same, but I'd prefer the guy took his time to get it as close as he can to being of the same quality as Jordan's before he releases it. Because I can tell you if I get some shitty last books for the WoT, then I'm gonna be pissed.
I still heart Goodkind.

#18 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Horrible bloody cover. I think that they got a retarded monkey to do it. I might just wait till all 3 books are out...as if...sigh... although I don't want to go back and reread all of the others.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#19 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:14 AM

View PostVengeance, on Mar 25 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

Horrible bloody cover. I think that they got a retarded monkey to do it. I might just wait till all 3 books are out...as if...sigh... although I don't want to go back and reread all of the others.

I agree, the cover is bloody awful. However, doesn't it coincide with all the other covers? I could be wrong but weren't they all drawn similarly?
I still heart Goodkind.

#20 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

View PostVengeance, on Mar 25 2009, 10:03 PM, said:

Thats insulting to retarded monkeys.

And yes, all the covers suck terribly.:)

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users