Malazan Empire: Weird News Story Du Jour - Malazan Empire

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weird News Story Du Jour One thread to bring them all and in the darkness ... wtf?

#681 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:08 PM

'When police arrested Elijah Rule Hill Prince [...] he allegedly told cops that the blood covering his mouth, face, and elbows wasn't his, but rather, the "blood of peasants." [...] Rule Hill Prince "tried selling the man something," but got turned down[...] That's when Rule Hill Prince went ballistic, biting off pieces of the man's ears, shattering his orbital bone, shoving a three-inch wooden block into his eye, and spitting in his mouth[...] Then he went after the man's wife, who ran out to see what was going on. Rule Hill Prince allegedly also bit off "large chunks" of her ears, kicked her in the head, and spit on her. Police found bits of ear nearby, but they could not be reattached'

https://www.thedaily...=cheats&via=rss

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 May 2021 - 04:09 PM

#682 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:05 PM

'[...] Los Angeles County Is Going to War With Peacocks

[...] It encroached on their territory, and basically the peacocks stayed in the trees—generations of them. In some places, it's almost impossible to capture every single one of them.

[...] What's the problem with having them there?

The biggest problem [...] is that often you have a person who hates the peacocks in the family and [someone] who likes them. And unbeknownst to the other spouse, one is feeding them while the other one is chasing them away. [...]

[...] One resident called it "more divisive than national politics." [...]

[...] They either hate them or love them. [...] the yelling sound, there's some people who might be overly sensitive. [...] Whereas somebody else in that same house would hear this [...] and it doesn't bother them. I think that's what polarizes people. Peacocks have been polarizing people since the beginning of time. [...]

A Pasadena resident compared their sound to "babies being tortured through a microphone." Why do they shriek like that?

It's crazy. My most popular video on my YouTube is peacocks yelling. [...] People have all kinds of theories behind it, but their theories don't make any sense to me. Now, if you're in the nighttime, and you hear peacocks yelling, you better watch out because there's a stranger danger happening by you. Peacocks are better watchdogs than dogs. They hear things that you don't.

[...] If people are angry and really pushy to the birds, the birds mess with them. Sometimes I think they're dumb, but then sometimes I think they're way smarter than me.'

https://slate.com/te...n-fail-why.html

#683 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:03 AM

I love the Pasadena peacocks!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#684 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:36 AM

'Growing food with air and solar power: More efficient than planting crops

[...] found that making food from air would be far more efficient than growing crops. In their paper published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the group describes their analysis and comparison of the efficiency of growing crops (soybeans) and using a food-from-air technique.

For several years, researchers around the world have been looking into the idea of growing "food from air," combining a renewable fuel resource with carbon from the air to create food for a type of bacteria that create edible protein. One such project is Solar Foods in Finland, where researchers have the goal of building a demonstration plant by 2023. [...]

[...] researchers used a food-from-air system that uses solar energy panels to make electricity, which is combined with carbon dioxide from the air to produce food for microbes grown in a bioreactor. The protein the microbes produce is then treated to remove nucleic acids and then dried to produce a powder suitable for consumption by humans and animals.

[...] growing food from air was 10 times as efficient as growing soybeans in the ground. [...] a 10-square-kilometer piece of land in the Amazon used to grow soybeans could be converted to a one-square-kilometer piece of land for growing food from the air, with the other nine square kilometers turned back to wild forest growth.'

https://phys.org/new...-efficient.html

#685 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

'YouTuber Wins $10,000 Bet With Physicist

[...] claimed he could use the car to cruise faster than the wind while traveling directly downwind, using only the power of the wind. Alexander Kusenko, a professor of physics at the University of California, said such a feat would break the laws of physics. The pair made a $10,000 bet [...]
The physicist lost and the [...] YouTuber won.

Racing downwind, the propeller spins faster and so do the wheels, pushing the car faster than the initial wind speed. According to Kusenko, the greater speeds are caused by random gusts and inertia. He was willing to put $10,000 on the line if Muller could prove otherwise.

Muller did. "When the speed of the car is exactly equal to the speed of the wind, it seems like the propeller can provide infinite force," Muller said in his video, citing one of Kusenko's biggest problems with the experiment. "This is exactly what you'd expect with any lever or pulley. If one arm of the lever is zero, then you can lift an infinite weight with any amount of force on the other side."
[...]

"Professor Kusenko has now conceded the bet," Muller said on YouTube. "And he transferred $10,000 to me. I want to thank him for being a man of honor and changing his mind in light of the evidence presented."'

https://www.vice.com...-with-physicist

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 July 2021 - 05:17 PM

#686 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:33 PM

WTAF?

There's bored and then there's BORED ...

https://www.news.com...a0e811df2f33f2f

Single man, 38, has swollen penis freed by doctors two weeks after he locks it inside a small padlock
A 38-year-old single man’s penis has been permanently disfigured after his manhood was trapped inside a padlock for two weeks.

JULY 17, 202112:49PM

A bored man stuck at home during the pandemic was rushed to hospital after getting a padlock stuck around his penis in a bizarre sex act gone wrong.

The bachelor, 38, clamped the metal device around the base of his manhood for a thrill around two weeks ago but he lost the key and his limb started to swell.

He tried unsuccessfully to remove the small lock so left it on his penis for more than 14 days until it became infected and the pain was unbearable.

The embarrassed man’s mother – who tried to help him – called the emergency services and firemen went to his home in Bangkok, Thailand, on the evening of July 16.

She told medics that her son did not have a girlfriend and was “bored” because he had been staying at home during the Covid-19 pandemic.

“My son is a private person and he doesn’t have a girlfriend. He has been staying at home a lot during the pandemic because he is worried about going out,” she said.

“He told me he did this because he was bored and he likes putting his ‘thing’ through small holes. I was angry at him for embarrassing me like this and I’ve told him not to do it again.”

Rescue officer Thongchai Donson said they received the emergency call but the injury was “worse than they expected” and had to rush the man, who they would not name, to the nearest hospital.

Medics spent more than 30 minutes using an electric cutter to slice through the metal lock. They slid a thin sheet of metal between the bar and the man’s skin to prevent it from being cut and squirted water onto his body for lubrication.

Once it was released, they administered antibiotic cream and gave the man penicillin tablets.

Despite his penis now being released, medics said there could be lasting damage because of the amount of time the padlock was stuck.

His penis has also been disfigured by the ordeal.

“We received the emergency call and did not know the full details, so we were surprised when we arrived. It was worse than we thought. If the padlock had stayed on for any longer, the infection could have been so bad that his penis would have started to rot and get gangrene,” Mr Donson said.

“In the hospital he was in pain and screaming so loudly because it was so swollen. Removing the metal was very difficult.

“We can’t give the man’s name but we want to make the news public to prevent other people from doing this kind of thing. It can be very dangerous and damage the body.”
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#687 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

Not all heroes wear padlocks…but some do.

#688 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

Because they should.

Not the heroes we want or need, but the heroes we deserve ... :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#689 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

'Texas Crowd Turns on Gunman Who Killed One, Stoning Him to Death

[...] killed one person while firing into a crowd of people, the group sought revenge, pelting him with stones that left him dead. Officials say the man started shooting into the crowd just before 1 a.m.'

https://www.thedaily...f=home?ref=home

The Bible lives! (Well, at least they learned one thing from the Old Testament that's still useful in the modern world... though I guess a really good Bible school should include hands-on training on how to stone people to death.)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 July 2021 - 07:35 PM

#690 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:02 PM

'Man Dies at Dead & Company Concert in NYC After Attempting Backflip

[...] in his 40s and possibly intoxicated, was at the concert with his brother when he attempted a flip from his balcony seat. He then fell between 30 and 50 feet onto concrete floor during a 9 p.m. intermission[...] "I heard people going 'ahhh' and see people running. I said 'bro, someone took a f--king header,'" [...] "he hit the ground head first. [...] He was way too drunk. You could smell it."'

https://www.thedaily...om-balcony-seat

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 August 2021 - 08:02 PM

#691 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 August 2021 - 01:43 AM

2:05
Stephen prospered in his time, well he may and he may decline.
Did it matter, does it now?
Stephen would answer if he only knew how.

. . . . . . .

4:42
Did he doubt or did he try?
Answers aplenty in the bye and bye,
Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills.

#692 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 August 2021 - 04:38 PM

'A Big Study About Honesty Turns Out To Be Based On Fake Data

Renowned psychologist Dan Ariely literally wrote the book on dishonesty. Now some are questioning whether the scientist himself is being dishonest.

[...] According to the 2012 paper, when people signed an honesty declaration at the beginning of a form, rather than the end, they were less likely to lie. A seemingly cheap and effective method to fight fraud, it was adopted by at least one insurance company, tested by government agencies around the world, and taught to corporate executives. It made a splash among academics, who cited it in their own research more than 400 times.

The paper also bolstered the reputations of [...] and Dan Ariely [...] as leaders in the study of decision-making, irrationality, and unethical behavior. Ariely, a frequent TED Talk speaker and a Wall Street Journal advice columnist, cited the study in lectures and in his New York Times bestseller The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone — Especially Ourselves.

Years later, he and his coauthors found that follow-up experiments did not show the same reduction in dishonest behavior. But more recently, a group of outside sleuths scrutinized the original paper's underlying data and stumbled upon a bigger problem: One of its main experiments was faked "beyond any shadow of a doubt," [...]

The researchers who published the [original] study all agree that its data appear to be fraudulent and have requested that the journal[...] retract it. But it's still unclear who made up the data or why — and four of the five authors said they played no part in collecting the data for the test in question.

That leaves Ariely, who confirmed that he alone was in touch with the insurance company that ran the test with its customers and provided him with the data. But he insisted that he was innocent, implying it was the company that was responsible. "I can see why it is tempting to think that I had something to do with creating the data in a fraudulent way, [...] I can see why it would be tempting to jump to that conclusion, but I didn't."

He added, "If I knew that the data was fraudulent, I would have never posted it."

But Ariely gave conflicting answers about the origins of the data file that was the basis for the analysis. Citing confidentiality agreements, he also declined to name the insurer that he partnered with. And he said that all his contacts at the insurer had left and that none of them remembered what happened, either.'

https://www.buzzfeed...tudy-retraction

#693 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 August 2021 - 05:55 AM

So ESPN was "tricked" into airing a high school (American) football game between a legitimate high level team vs. a team from a fake high school, whose team is largely made up of adults in the junior college age range, and recruited/'coached' by a man with a warrant out for fraud.

Original story on the game itself and the reveal: https://www.complex....-on-national-tv
Interview with one of the original recruits with some wild details: https://www.complex....nterview/part-2

#694 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 July 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

[...] killed one person while firing into a crowd of people, the group sought revenge, pelting him with stones that left him dead. Officials say the man started shooting into the crowd just before 1 a.m.'

The Bible lives! (Well, at least they learned one thing from the Old Testament that's still useful in the modern world... though I guess a really good Bible school should include hands-on training on how to stone people to death.)

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 August 2021 - 08:02 PM, said:

[...] in his 40s and possibly intoxicated, was at the concert with his brother when he attempted a flip from his balcony seat. He then fell between 30 and 50 feet onto concrete floor during a 9 p.m. intermission[...] "I heard people going 'ahhh' and see people running. I said 'bro, someone took a f--king header,'" [...] "he hit the ground head first. [...] He was way too drunk. You could smell it."'

That's not weird news, that's just morbid news!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#695 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image

#696 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:26 AM

#697 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 September 2021 - 10:24 PM

View PostD, on 31 August 2021 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 July 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 August 2021 - 08:02 PM, said:

That's not weird news, that's just morbid news!

Hmm, I'll grant it's possible that people get stoned to death by crowds in the United States and fall to their deaths in the middle of death-themed concerts more frequently than I'd imagined, but I doubt it... maybe if people were being a little more literal (conservatives in Texas following Biblical law, or fans of the Grateful Dead going to Dead & Company concerts to die... and be grateful). YMMV.

[Edit: it's also surprising that mob with stones beat mass shooter.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 07 September 2021 - 10:28 PM

#698 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:18 AM

You never know unless you try. It's brave pioneers like this that are moving society towards a blissful utopia.

Young Scandinavians Are Sticking Nicotine Pouches Up Their Asses

* link is to www.vice.com

#699 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:24 AM

ah right, it's in Denmark.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#700 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:30 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 30 September 2021 - 07:24 AM, said:

ah right, it's in Denmark.

Of course you wouldn't do such a thing, what with being such a tightarse and all ... ;)

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users