• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29781 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:46 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 31 May 2023 - 08:11 AM, said:

Just make sure you only open the windows and not the blinds after you remove your clothes and don't use blankets. :shock:

Yeah, wouldn't want too many horny people trying to climb in through the windows.

Though something like that actually happened to my mother when she was in college in Philadelphia.

A lot of men would probably be like, 'Come on in....'

But depending on what floor you're on it might not be practical to toss them back out the window....

#29782 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:16 PM

Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are both crusty old white men who clearly refuse to wear condoms and it's gross. Ugh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29783 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:58 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro are both crusty old white men who clearly refuse to wear condoms and it's gross. Ugh.

How did this come up?

sfx: *cymbal smash*
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29784 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:41 PM

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2023 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 May 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

How did this come up?

sfx: *cymbal smash*

Must be something to do with Heat.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29785 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 June 2023 - 11:10 AM

A tricksy situation at my mate's on Sunday. Went over for a BBQ.

They've had a family move in next door with two lads who have severe LD. One is quite aggressive towards people he doesn't know and has a tendency to fling stuff over walls / steal things he wants from front yards.

So we were sat in the yard eating, mate's 8mo is out there (pending heart surgery as he was born with a duff valve). The child (who we'll call Launch Kid) throws a bag of hard candies over the fence directly at us - it hit my mate's brother in law in the back of the head, split and some of the stuff (it's that hard candy stuff you find at the seaside that looks like little spiky balls) went over us, the table, and the said 8mo.

They've had words due to other incidents like this and the parents seems to have just resigned to their child doing this due to their LD. Which seems to me like a fast track to a safeguarding issue, because it'd only take one thing being thrown wrong to put the baby into the hospital, and this family can't expect the neighbourhood to stop using their yard on account of their son's LD.

As much as I sympathize with how hard it is (Wife's brother has severe autism so I'm used to behaviours and such) I'm not sure that I'm being the asshole when I'm telling them that if it keeps on they'll need to escalate, especially as this family are moving into the street and aren't seemingly taking any precautions to let folk know or mitigate what's happening at all. Maybe my angry uncle instincts are kicking in a bit...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29786 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:31 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 June 2023 - 11:10 AM, said:

They've had a family move in next door with two lads who have severe LD. One is quite aggressive towards people he doesn't know and has a tendency to fling stuff over walls / steal things he wants from front yards.

So we were sat in the yard eating, mate's 8mo is out there (pending heart surgery as he was born with a duff valve). The child (who we'll call Launch Kid) throws a bag of hard candies over the fence directly at us - it hit my mate's brother in law in the back of the head, split and some of the stuff (it's that hard candy stuff you find at the seaside that looks like little spiky balls) went over us, the table, and the said 8mo.

They've had words due to other incidents like this and the parents seems to have just resigned to their child doing this due to their LD. Which seems to me like a fast track to a safeguarding issue, because it'd only take one thing being thrown wrong to put the baby into the hospital, and this family can't expect the neighbourhood to stop using their yard on account of their son's LD.

As much as I sympathize with how hard it is (Wife's brother has severe autism so I'm used to behaviours and such) I'm not sure that I'm being the asshole when I'm telling them that if it keeps on they'll need to escalate, especially as this family are moving into the street and aren't seemingly taking any precautions to let folk know or mitigate what's happening at all. Maybe my angry uncle instincts are kicking in a bit...

No clue what the law looks like where you're at, but pretty sure the parents are responsible for the actions of their minor (or legally immature) child, including, oh, i dunno, not letting him have things he can throw over the fence and hurt people with. 'Bag of candies' sounds pretty harmless til one nails someone in the face at speed, if the ones he threw are what i think you're referring to they're basically small rocks. I understand the reluctance to go full adversarial on a neighbour they have to live with, but from what you're describing the alternative seems worse.

Were it me, i'd go 'polite but clear conversation with email or letter follow up reminding them of what was discussed and what you're going to do if it doesn't improve', then bylaw services or whatever the local equivalent of one step below the cops is. Then... trebuchets.

#29787 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 June 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

No clue what the law looks like where you're at, but pretty sure the parents are responsible for the actions of their minor (or legally immature) child, including, oh, i dunno, not letting him have things he can throw over the fence and hurt people with. 'Bag of candies' sounds pretty harmless til one nails someone in the face at speed, if the ones he threw are what i think you're referring to they're basically small rocks. I understand the reluctance to go full adversarial on a neighbour they have to live with, but from what you're describing the alternative seems worse.

Were it me, i'd go 'polite but clear conversation with email or letter follow up reminding them of what was discussed and what you're going to do if it doesn't improve', then bylaw services or whatever the local equivalent of one step below the cops is. Then... trebuchets.

That was my view too, and yeah the ones you're thinking are like small rocks - not really more than an irritation as a singular, but a bag of them is basically one rock solid projectile. The main issue comes from the kid's actions coming from his LD, but I feel like the parents still have legal responsibility there; it becomes a safeguarding issue if he's causing harm to those around their house and there is a not unrealistic chance that unchecked, they'll have him taken away by the social services.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29788 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:15 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 June 2023 - 04:09 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 01 June 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

That was my view too, and yeah the ones you're thinking are like small rocks - not really more than an irritation as a singular, but a bag of them is basically one rock solid projectile. The main issue comes from the kid's actions coming from his LD, but I feel like the parents still have legal responsibility there; it becomes a safeguarding issue if he's causing harm to those around their house and there is a not unrealistic chance that unchecked, they'll have him taken away by the social services.

While getting the parents to take responsibility for either not providing the opportunity (no more bags of hard candy, kid with LD shouldn't be given unsupervised access to whole bags of candy anyway) or training their kid obviously seems like the best strategy, wonder whether it would be possible to make the fence high enough kid can't throw stuff over it---even better, affix something like a giant trampoline to send thrown shit flying back at them... but then they might try to sue / sic the police on your relatives.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 June 2023 - 04:16 PM

#29789 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:47 PM

Good force fields make good neighbors (and good autonomous drone swarms make kids closer to the Good...).

#29790 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:22 PM

I recently realized that I can get up to 20% value of my airline tickets back in points for use on later travel. Now that seemed great to me, why not. Except of course it’s priced in, and it occurs to me that this could definitely be part of the reason why flights are so expensive in the USA.

Now I doubt the value of the points is entirely worth the excact dollars amount they may seem to me as a customer. Airlines etc have the opportunity to devalue points at any time and in a way they are basically sitting on large values of worth like a bank. So I’m not quite sure if airline travel is really 20 percent more expensive than it would be otherwise but it’s definitely raising costs to some extent.

#29791 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 June 2023 - 05:41 AM

Unless your company is paying for the flight airmiles are a money spinning gimick

#29792 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 03:17 PM

The wildfire smoke has reached Toronto and Environment Canada has issued a warning that people should stay inside if possible as it's not good to be breathing this air....and of course the TDSB (Toronto School board) has not issued any warnings or instructions, so our asinine principle at our kids school claimed he defers to the TDSB and not Environment Canada...because he's a bureaucratic prick....luckily our sons teacher told my wife she was keeping their class in today....my daughters teacher said no such thing.

IT's just annoying. Just keep them inside for the two days this is supposed to be passing through the city so they don't have to breathe in bad air...they can go to the gym, or do fun projects in class.

And knowing me, I can't keep my big mouth shut so the next time I drop the kids off I'll probably mouth off to the Principle about it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29793 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:14 PM

It ain't just Toronto.

Once again big bully Canada is causing problems for its little brother USA.

This post has been edited by worry: 06 June 2023 - 04:14 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29794 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:15 PM

View Postworry, on 06 June 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

It ain't just Toronto.

Yeah, it's bad everywhere...this is the site for air quality reporting and fucking hell it's at 500 at some points across the city...let's be clear over 100 is already bad....but 200+ and 500 is fucking HAZARDOUS.

https://waqi.info/#/...4/-79.348/13.3z

#29795 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:34 PM

fuck me

https://firesmoke.ca...ecasts/current/

#29796 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:42 PM

The sun is orange and the city looks like a Mexico scene from BREAKING BAD or MAYANS MC.

I'm expecting tentacle monsters any minute now.
Barring that, i want tacos for lunch.

#29797 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:44 PM

View Postworry, on 06 June 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

It ain't just Toronto.

Is it too late to nuke Quebec?

Where's Trump when we need him....

#29798 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:45 PM

In all seriousness though---now would be a good time to get an elastomeric P100 mask if you haven't already.

Also more effective than N95's against covid, etc.---and much more likely to fit well.

#29799 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 June 2023 - 04:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:42 PM, said:

The sun is orange and the city looks like a Mexico scene from BREAKING BAD or MAYANS MC.

Abyss Ottawa is the worst in Ontario right now. You literally should not be outside without an N95 right now. The Air Quality report on the native Apple weather app says that this is "threat to life" levels of smoke....which I mean, makes sense, the wind is blowing it from Quebec directly into your face like some chain smoker without a conscience.

#29800 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 June 2023 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2023 - 04:42 PM, said:

Abyss Ottawa is the worst in Ontario right now. You literally should not be outside without an N95 right now. The Air Quality report on the native Apple weather app says that this is "threat to life" levels of smoke....which I mean, makes sense, the wind is blowing it from Quebec directly into your face like some chain smoker without a conscience.

If the N95 don't fit... you might as well not be wearin' it (for wildfire smoke anyway---it can still stop some spittle).

If the mask does not fit properly, it may not provide any protection.

Wildfire Smoke and Face Masks Factsheet (wa.gov)

So unless you get your N95 model fit tested, an elastomeric P100 is a better bet (or better still---don't go outside if you can... or get one of those pricey loose-fitting powered air purifying full face respirators that don't require fit testing---IDK if they're available to rent...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 June 2023 - 05:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users